Android TV App

Luke

Does live tv still transcode? And if yes, is there any possibility of it being directly played?  

Thanks

Live TV direct plays in most instances now.

All of you guys - it would probably be much easier to track your questions and issues if you created new threads for them.  Thanks.

Can you add a way to remote control the ATV app? For instance, I would like to select a file on my mobile device and have the ATV play it. I would rather not cast it because I want the ability to still use my physical Harmony remote. I get around this by "casting" to Kodi but I am trying to use the ATV app more.

You should already be able to do that now.  The app should show as a normal remote control options from any other Emby app.

I believe it is transcoding due to the audio track being Dolby Digital and your Android version being less than 5.1.1 which we have found will not accept the DD stream.

whoami

I believe it is transcoding due to the audio track being Dolby Digital and your Android version being less than 5.1.1 which we have found will not accept the DD stream.

The Android Version is 5.1. But I don't think that's the reason. As I said earlier it plays fine through DLNA without any transcoding. I also tried playing it from an USB Stick which also works without issues.

My TV can handle the file and all its codecs so there should be no reason to transcode.

I just took a closer on the transcode Log:

Output #0, matroska, to '/var/lib/emby-server/transcoding-temp/bede37e2ca1f7a140992c07e8b91c8f8.mkv':

Metadata:

encoder : Lavf57.25.100

Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (libx264) (H264 / 0x34363248), yuv420p, 2160x1214 [sAR 1214:1215 DAR 16:9], q=-1--1, 36881 kb/s, 23.98 fps, 1k tbn, 23.98 tbc (default)

For some reason it changes the resolution to this weird 2160x1214. So there is not only audio transcoding going on.

The Android Version is 5.1. But I don't think that's the reason.

That is the reason the app is transcoding it.  It is possible your TV can handle it but the app doesn't know that at this point.

CBers

That is the reason the app is transcoding it. It is possible your TV can handle it but the app doesn't know that at this point.

Isn't it about time to allow the user to decide, rather than trying to automate everything?

Also Tiamat is Direct Playing everything, so it is technically possible, it's just not in the Emby ATV app, yet.

PhinkBig

Isn't it about time to allow the user to decide, rather than trying to automate everything?

Also Tiamat is Direct Playing everything, so it is technically possible, it's just not in the Emby ATV app, yet.

What was/is Tiamat using as a video-audio player? The Emby app with exoplayer has been working great for me, but I was really looking forward to giving Tia a go, if nothing else but for the sake of variety.

CBers

What was/is Tiamat using as a video-audio player? The Emby app with exoplayer has been working great for me, but I was really looking forward to giving Tia a go, if nothing else but for the sake of variety.

I believe it was using the same player, but the decision making was different.

whoami

That is the reason the app is transcoding it.  It is possible your TV can handle it but the app doesn't know that at this point.

So at the moment there is no way to overwrite the decision the app makes here? That is rather unfortunate. Time to try Plex and find out if it can handle 4k correctly

dark_slayer

Most android devices only document support for bitrates up to about 20Mb/s.

We either PM or discussed this before in the forums, but this will force transcode most every 1:1 BD rip. Really unnecessary for our modern Android devices. Especially those with Ethernet, but even AC wireless. Instead of blanket targeting an artificial bitrate the focus should be vc1 and 265, since outside of the shield the other Android TV devices all choke on those except at awfully low bitrates

We either PM or discussed this before in the forums, but this will force transcode most every 1:1 BD rip. Really unnecessary for our modern Android devices. Especially those with Ethernet, but even AC wireless. Instead of blanket targeting an artificial bitrate the focus should be vc1 and 265, since outside of the shield the other Android TV devices all choke on those except at awfully low bitrates

Not sure what your point is here but we are not forcing this bitrate.  We automatically determine it at runtime or allow the user to select up to 40Mb/s.

My point was just that, many of the devices (the FTV in particular) say they only support up to 20 so it may not always work.

MSattler

Not sure what your point is here but we are not forcing this bitrate.  We automatically determine it at runtime or allow the user to select up to 40Mb/s.

My point was just that, many of the devices (the FTV in particular) say they only support up to 20 so it may not always work.

I think for some devices, FireTV Sticks, this may ring true.  Because the limit may be wifi.  But, with both FTV2 and Shield, Tiamat direct played everything I threw at it, including 28-35Mbps bit rate movies, without any issues.  So the hardware can do direct play for these media files, the same media files in your client would transcode, so there is something that can be fixed here to provide better playback support.

• Like 1

CBers

If you select 40mbps in the app and it's still transcoding, then it's due to another reason. If you can provide example media info pasted from the web client, we can then look at what improvements we can make. Thanks.

What @@MSattler is saying, is that the Tiamat ATV app does Direct Play almost everything thrown at it whereby the Emby ATV app will transcode.

Perhaps 40mbps isn't a high enough value and auto maxes out too low.

There are a number of us that were invited to test Tiamat and we all had a better playback experience over the Emby app.

If Tiamat isn't to come to fruition, then we all need to work together to make the Emby ATV app much better.

Competition always makes for a better user experience :)

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

CBers

Um isn't Lukes point the same as yours? Ie working together to make the app better

Yes, but there is something in the app which is forcing transcoding when Tiamat doesn't.

We all want better apps :)

dark_slayer

Not sure what your point is here but we are not forcing this bitrate. We automatically determine it at runtime or allow the user to select up to 40Mb/s.

Well, my point - to my chagrin - was don't limit the bitrate to 20, but since I haven't followed the app in a while I didn't realize you already allow 40. My mistake, sorry

If you select 40mbps in the app and it's still transcoding, then it's due to another reason. If you can provide example media info pasted from the web client, we can then look at what improvements we can make. Thanks.

MSattler

Potentially for that particular user, sure.  However, the app is still missing the boat with the Shield.  The Shield via Tiamat direct played everything I can think off that I threw at it.  I will try and spend some time this afternoon to provide specific examples of media that direct plays via Tia, and transcode via the Emby app.

I just want to make sure that we keep an open mind to ensuring we get direct play working on nearly everything on the newer devices such as the Shield.

• Like 2

fantaxp7

Potentially for that particular user, sure.  However, the app is still missing the boat with the Shield.  The Shield via Tiamat direct played everything I can think off that I threw at it.  I will try and spend some time this afternoon to provide specific examples of media that direct plays via Tia, and transcode via the Emby app.

I just want to make sure that we keep an open mind to ensuring we get direct play working on nearly everything on the newer devices such as the Shield.

:D

MSattler

@@ebr,

One of the nice things about TIA is that it supported GameBrowser, and allowed you to configure emulators that could be launched for games.  Will this ever be a feature added to the Google client?

Probably, but it is not on the near-term road map.  There are many other wider-audience things to address first.

• Like 1

fantaxp7

Probably, but it is not on the near-term road map.  There are many other wider-audience things to address first.

"Chief Bottle Washer"

Where do I leave my bottle? 

:P