Android TV App

Luke

If that was in response to my crashes recently, I don't use Smart Screen, just the Grid.

I fun change to Smart Screen and confirmed your hypothesis.

After updating to 67 I can't reproduce.

Will update Nexus Player and confirm that as well.

It did crash for you once though when you weren't even there.  I need to figure out how to handle that...

rarefc3s

Watching Live TV last night caused a Sheild hard crash. It rebooted. I had the TV tuned to a channel and then brought up the guide and was scrolling the guide. I might have had the live TV paused while scrolling but am not 100% on that. I was trying out pausing live TV and then just resuming.

CBers

It did crash for you once though when you weren't even there.  I need to figure out how to handle that...

You spying on me :)

• Like 1

Watching Live TV last night caused a Sheild hard crash. It rebooted. I had the TV tuned to a channel and then brought up the guide and was scrolling the guide. I might have had the live TV paused while scrolling but am not 100% on that. I was trying out pausing live TV and then just resuming.

If the Shield re-booted that is likely a video driver issue of some sort.

I am running version 1.1.46g on an nvidia shield tv running OS 6.0. I noticed that only this platform will not have a "new" tag in the guide for new shows but on ios web or any other platform it is there. Is this feature not on this platform yet?

I might be missing it but is there a way to view active recordings easily? I am not seeing it. It seems the IOS client might be a little ahead of this as far as features.

This interface does not attempt to mark "new" items.  At this time this is a design decision due to limited space in the interface and the fact that there have been requests to remove that feature from some of the other interfaces.  If enough people request it, we may be able to work it in as an option or find a creative way (say, with color) to indicate those items.

Any active recording shows with the record indicator in the guide.  Also there is a row for items schedule in the next 24 hours in the Live TV view.

• Like 1

MSattler

Actually used the latest beta tonight at the gf's house, and the navigation is much smoother than it was.

Is there any date yet for a public release?  My brothers have since quit using the app and reverted to using a web browser because some of the issues in regards to always ensuring to back out of the app, timeouts, etc.  It seems to work better with the Beta app.

Thanks!

whoami

Hello,

i have a problem with 4k content and the Android TV App.

I have installed the app on my 4k capable Philips 55PUS7600 Android-TV. When I try to play 4k content with the normal DLNA-Media App of my TV from the Emby server the TV shows the content without problems. However when I use the Emby App the same 4k content gets transcoded to 1080p. Is this a limitation of the app that it can only show 1080p?

CBers

I get DD 5.1 videos transcoding when the audio option is set to COMPATIBLE on my NP connected to just a TV.

When it's set to DIRECT, there is no audio during playback.

With Tiamat I always get Direct Play.

Is that something you can look at please Eric?

Might help others out as well.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hello,

i have a problem with 4k content and the Android TV App.

I have installed the app on my 4k capable Philips 55PUS7600 Android-TV. When I try to play 4k content with the normal DLNA-Media App of my TV from the Emby server the TV shows the content without problems. However when I use the Emby App the same 4k content gets transcoded to 1080p. Is this a limitation of the app that it can only show 1080p?

What is the bitrate of the content and what is the bitrate setting in the app?

whoami

What is the bitrate of the content and what is the bitrate setting in the app?

Codec: H264

Profile: High

Level: 51

Resolution: 3840x2160

Aspect ratio: 16:9

Anamorphic: No

Interlaced: No

Framerate: 23.97602

Bitrate: 35152 kbps

Bit depth: 8 bit

Pixel format: yuv420p

Ref frames: 5

The setting in the app is on "Auto". 

Yeah, that's 35 Mb/s content.  More than likely the network didn't test that high so we transcoded.  Try setting the app to 40 and see if it plays properly.

Oh, its also profile 5.1 which will probably only work with the beta version of the app and may be the real reason it transcoded.

whoami

Yeah, that's 35 Mb/s content.  More than likely the network didn't test that high so we transcoded.  Try setting the app to 40 and see if it plays properly.

Oh, its also profile 5.1 which will probably only work with the beta version of the app and may be the real reason it transcoded.

Tried setting it to 40Mb/s. Emby still wants to transcode. I dont suppose there is a way to install the beta version through the play store? Philips has disabled App sideloading on this TV.

CBers

When you play and then stop an item that is from the far right of the Next Up TV list and then back out without it becoming WATCHED, the Next Up TV list is refreshed and you are back at the far left (1st) position.

If the item is played and marked WATCHED I expect the behaviour, but if you don't WATCH the item, shouldn't you be returned to the position in the list where you were before?

Thanks.

• Like 1

whoami

Through the play store is the way you install the beta

Ah thanks. I just installed the beta and tested it. Now emby is doing a transcode from 4k to 4k. Which is an improvement I guess however still unwatchable for me because the server hardware is not fast enough to deal with 4k transcoding.

MrWebsmith

I get DD 5.1 videos transcoding when the audio option is set to COMPATIBLE on my NP connected to just a TV.

When it's set to DIRECT, there is no audio during playback.

With Tiamat I always get Direct Play.

Is that something you can look at please Eric?

Might help others out as well.

Thanks.

with the "flux" over the future of the Tiamat client, and the "loss" of mbplus, i too will be back to pushing hard on this app again for you @@ebr   i will make proper posts with thoughts/comments/questions and we can hopefully make it the best emby client available as i have 3 devices now

• Like 3

CBers

with the "flux" over the future of the Tiamat client, and the "loss" of mbplus, i too will be back to pushing hard on this app again for you @@ebr   i will make proper posts with thoughts/comments/questions and we can hopefully make it the best emby client available as i have 3 devices now

Here, Here !!

Direct Playback is a must.

• Like 3

fantaxp7

Does live tv still transcode? And if yes, is there any possibility of it being directly played?  

Thanks

• Like 2

ice pube

Couple questions:

Any ETA on when video playlists will be added? 

Can you add a way to remote control the ATV app? For instance, I would like to select a file on my mobile device and have the ATV play it. I would rather not cast it because I want the ability to still use my physical Harmony remote. I get around this by "casting" to Kodi but I am trying to use the ATV app more.

Edited by ice pube

MSattler

Here, Here !!

Direct Playback is a must.

Would be nice to have Gamebrowser/Emulation support like TiaMat did.

• Like 3

I do not see a way to delete a video from android tv app but that feature is visible and works fine on web/ios.

Maybe I am not looking in the right place.

• Like 1

When you play and then stop an item that is from the far right of the Next Up TV list and then back out without it becoming WATCHED, the Next Up TV list is refreshed and you are back at the far left (1st) position.

If the item is played and marked WATCHED I expect the behaviour, but if you don't WATCH the item, shouldn't you be returned to the position in the list where you were before?

Thanks.

I noticed this as well.  It is a change that happened in the updated framework components and I haven't had a chance to see if I can do anything about it.  It might be one of the ways they addressed the crashing issue they had before.

• Like 1

Ah thanks. I just installed the beta and tested it. Now emby is doing a transcode from 4k to 4k. Which is an improvement I guess however still unwatchable for me because the server hardware is not fast enough to deal with 4k transcoding.

If you post the transcode log we might be able to tell why.  Not sure about your TV but most android devices only document support for bitrates up to about 20Mb/s.