Official Emby Logo Submission Thread

ebr

Beardyname

@@rlm82

Is this what you mean?

55157474b9d02_EmbyLogov11.jpg

I think we have a winner :) (imo)

the black one with the little red arrow.

Edited by Beardyname

crashkelly

@@Joostzilla

Sorry for being a total thief, but this popped into my head as soon as I saw the logo(s) you produced, which are awesome by the way

55158bf4dd35c_EMBY_logo.jpg

Cheers

CrashKelly

CBers

this is still my favorite that Chef submitted in another thread

55158ffb5fc1f_create_thumbCAGBRLO1.png

I like that one as well.

elshagon

Ok this is just a joke but don't get too offended.  It's the first thing that came to mind when I first heard the name was being changed to Emby:

post-335-0-59971000-1427477284_thumb.jpg

@@rlm82

Is this what you mean?

You're a genius! I think it works really well in both red & black/white (different uses for contrast purposes).

Looking at it, if the B is still going to rise above the line, the Y may as well go below the line (hope you know what I mean) - or, bring the top of the b in line too and use the extra space to 'chunk' up the text a bit more? Not sure though.

I think the tweaks you've made are awesome, thanks for trying it out.

• Like 1

When I first heard the name "emby", the first connection in my head was "ember" (as in glowing charcoal etc.) which I think is a much stronger link to make between name/logo than something that, as nice and sharp as it may look, is completely generic. I'm not trying to discredit any of the professional looking logos thus far, but remember that successful logos tend to be symbolic rather than some random shapes and currently popular typefaces. The Evernote elephant, the Apple apple, the MS Windows window, the Twitter bird, the Safari compass, the Firefox fiery fox... all iconic icons.

So, my first thought was to create the word "emby" in an ember-like texture, but my Photoshop 'skills' are absolutely horrendous:

551596b2e7b6a_logo.png

In the sea of bizarrely green (which I find particularly odd since green has been a flair/accent color alongside MB's main blues - an accompaniment, not a figurehead) and generic logos so far, the only one I've really liked is non-entity's, for the following reasons:

1. It's simple
  2. It incorporates the ember/fire symbolism
  3. The "e" and flame alone could easily work as an application icon with some slight adjustments
  4. It's a particularly nice shade of orange

Again, transitioning from a brand name as generic as "Media Browser" should surely mean a strong rebranding, and that's not going to be achieved with 3D shapes from PowerPoint.

Who am I? Nobody, just someone who tends to be overly critical but with good intentions ("thoughtfully thoughtless"). If anyone with Photoshop/Illustrator etc. skills does happen to read my ramblings though, I'd suggest:

1. Incorporate the glowing ember elements - it needs to be symbolic of something, and what better than an already existing link.
  2. Black/white and red/orange
  3. Smooth, but not obnoxiously thin. Just because every other designer in the world thinks that one-pixel-thin letters are the best doesn't mean it's true, the same goes for flat design. Ideally it ought to be timeless and unique, not something that will have left Google, Apple, and MS' constantly evolving style guides (and therefore all the sheep as well) in two years time.

Some of the red/black designs I've also seen here have been quite nice as well, but: "signs (something we perceive with our senses that refers to something apart from itself and is clearly recognized in a society) which actually look like the thing they stand for are called icons", "a sign that has no visible connection with what it signifies is called a symbol". Please, let's make an iconic icon that is a literal icon.

Edited by piers
  • Like 1

Joostzilla

Basically a good statement although it lacks in one major area. The association with 'ember' has as much connection with emby/mediabrowser as some other 'random' shape. On top of that 'ember' would only work as association for English users.

In my designs the logo always has some kind of relation with the brand. One was a simplified powerbutton, the black with red arrow form a 'play' shape.

I agree the logo should not be some random shape.

It's a myth that the logo should tell the whole story of a brand. The presented context will take care of that. Okay the examples you gave have indeed a relevant connection to their brand. But again particularly for English speaking users.

I am from the Netherlands and i bet no one knows what Google or twitter stands for. Why firefox is connected with a browser etc.

I believe most people just accept the logo and symbol/icon as it is presented without any thought.

On the other hand your criticism is great to keep everyone sharp. So thanks for it.

Edited by Joostzilla
  • Like 2

Basically a good statement although it lacks in one major area. The association with 'ember' has as much connection with emby/mediabrowser as some other 'random' shape. On top of that 'ember' would only work as association for English users.

In my designs the logo always has some kind of relation with the brand. One was a simplified powerbutton, the black with red arrow form a 'play' shape.

I agree the logo should not be some random shape.

It's a myth that the logo should tell the whole story of a brand. The presented context will take care of that. Okay the examples you gave have indeed a relevant connection to their brand. But again particularly for English speaking users.

I am from the Netherlands and i bet no one knows what Google or twitter stands for. Why firefox is connected with a browser etc.

I believe most people just accept the logo and symbol/icon as it is presented without any thought.

On the other hand your criticism is great to keep everyone sharp. So thanks for it.

Thank you. Yes, that's a very good point about languages, as indeed the ember association only works in English. I think I got a bit carried away with the ember link, as as you say, ideally the logo should relate to the brand, but it doesn't necessarily need to be the ember relation, instead it could be related to media playback, media serving etc.

• Like 1

yardameus

5515d2ccf2dd1_teacup.png

Had to get this out of my head.  Been stuck there ever since they announced the new name.  This would be for Emby Theater (mbt = emby tea)  Sorry...

• Like 1

swhitmore

@@rlm82

Is this what you mean?

This is my favourite. I love the font, but I prefer the green. Maybe different plugins could use a different colour? Green for WMC, Red for MBT, Blue for server maybe?

• Like 3

cshaun

Really like sahebk and Joostzilla (early ones, not the weird 2d/3d doughnut arrow thing) logos. Along with the flaming "e". Though just not sure flames fit in. Emby perhaps also a play on fire ember?

Very simple/minimalist plain colours, no gradients or 3D effects etc. Basically totally agree with Luke.

Anyway I did some very quick doodling myself, just to play with a couple concepts. They're very rough, really didn't spend much time on it. I probably prefer the first one, just for simplicity - others look a little busy.

5515ec2a2b883_emby.png

But you do need something that can work as a square icon as well. So a flaming e, play icon etc seems better in that regard.

Combined with sahebk's play icon.

5515ee55eb410_emby2.png

With a little colour...

5515ef95c512c_emby3.png

Edited by cshaun

Lots of really great submissions so far.

I really like Jooszilla's alternate idea with the cut circle (F in the logo submission thread).  It gets away from the misinterpretation of the circle with the letter "c" (as ebr saw) and still retains both an arrow and the play button shape.  The only thing I'd suggest with any of the submissions is to not incorporate gradients.  When scaling down, the gradient gets a bit lost and it can confuse what the actual colour is (personally, I think gradients look a bit amateurish) - Joostzilla showed what can be done with block colours in the arrow portion of his circle logo (although, there's still gradient in the "C" part of the circle).  I'd go with Joostzilla's cut circle in either green or red for the arrow and keep the "C" part in black or white (depending on the background it's on).

Just my $0.02...

thostr

He is my submission for now.5510266f29428_EmbyLogov2.jpg5510268cb5f9e_EmbyLogov3.jpg

I'm not a fan of the font type. The "B" and "Y" makes me see other letters, which means I sometimes mistake it for another word as a whole...

techywarrior

This is my idea, hope you like it!  ;)

In reference to post #168:

I like the icon on the far right but the actual word variations are too hard to read.

xnappo

Come on guys.. I know you know what purple is :D

Yahoo used a very bad purple - but I think some neon-ish purple would be fairly unique.

Edited by xnappo

AdrianW

The only thing I'd suggest with any of the submissions is to not incorporate gradients.  When scaling down, the gradient gets a bit lost and it can confuse what the actual colour is (personally, I think gradients look a bit amateurish) 

I agree with this opinion - solid single colours are best. The ones with textured backgrounds look really bad.

This one by Joostzilla is still my favourite - simple shape, solid colour, easy to recognise:

5516545d7af06_embyO.png

And here's a purple version for comparison:

5516558814da3_embyOpurple.png