Emby FILM CLUB

Cheesegeezer

adamstewiegreen

Watched High Life (dir. Claire Denis, White Material) - quite odd and obscure.  I probably won't be able to say if I loved it or hated it until I watch it a second time.

and then there's Rubber  (which I saw when it first came out) - Some people say it's pure nonsense and trash but I think it's wacky fun that's dark and possibly a little bit insightful.

WilhelmStroker

I really liked Rubber, and the other movies I've seen by the same director. 

Watched:

The Faculty. Typical late nineties Scream inspired high school horror pulp. Good fun.

Urban Legend. Typical late nineties Scream inspired high school slasher pulp. Good fun.

Master of the flying guillotine. A big inspiration for Tarantino, which is pretty obvious. Maybe about 20 minutes of dialogue and plot, the rest are fighting scenes. Enjoyed the analogue synth soundtrack.

adamstewiegreen

Recently seen:

Spiderman: Away From Home - After Homecoming, Captain Marvel and End Game I told my self, no more Marvel.  Well, I lied to myself again, here's another Marvel critically acclaimed superhero flick that made no sense, at all.  If it wasn't Marvel this movie would have been slammed by critics as preposterous.  This is partly because the split between Marvel and Sony made the film automatically obsolete since the WHOLE plot revolves around Stark naming Spidey as the next leader of the Avengers - since it won't happen the entire movie, literally, has no purpose.  It's like Marvel put all their eggs in Sony's basket - and now Sony is taking thier basket.  On the brightside: It was much better than Homecoming.

I didn't watch it this week, but if you're itching for a Spiderman movie, Into the Spiderverse is probably the single best spiderman movie ever made.  And has some quite extraordinary animation.  And once again, my friend Nic Cage steals the show with Noir Spidey.

Ugetsu - One of those old 1950's foreign critically acclaimed darlings that's good - possibly even really good, but left me wondering why so many think it's THAT incredibly amazing.

Pusher (1996) - started pretty weak, but slowly upped the intensity.  From the director of Drive.

WilhelmStroker

Not seen Pusher in years but it was pretty funny seeing the same actor playing a cop in The Bridge. 

Ugetsu sounds interesting.

Some more additions:

The night of the hunted. A Jean Rollin film so if you've ever seen one of his movies you know what to expect...

Don't torture a duckling. Pretty interesting Giallo, that is set in a rural environment. Not overly bloody or gory but pretty atmospheric.

The Death and Resurrection show. Documentary about the band Killing Joke. 

adamstewiegreen

Ad Astra - don't put yourself through it.

It tried so hard and did it so poorly...

I read a review where the reviewer compared it to 2001: A Space Odyssey, Solaris, and Interstellar and I always see that as a warning sign. 2001 and Solaris are 2 of the best sci-fi films ever made, comparing any movie to just one of those (let alone both) is just asking for HUGE disappointment.

I'm still going to try to see it in the theatre (it's not even playing in my local theatre) because it's the type of movie I want to see more of, and it's the type of movie that Hollywood has been making fewer and fewer of.

I read a review where the reviewer compared it to 2001: A Space Odyssey, Solaris, and Interstellar and I always see that as a warning sign. 2001 and Solaris are 2 of the best sci-fi films ever made, comparing any movie to just one of those (let alone both) is just asking for HUGE disappointment.

I'm still going to try to see it in the theatre (it's not even playing in my local theatre) because it's the type of movie I want to see more of, and it's the type of movie that Hollywood has been making fewer and fewer of.

It is NOTHING like those other films (except, perhaps, in imagery).  Save your money.

post-27-0-46991300-1569238490_thumb.jpgpost-27-0-90369500-1569238452_thumb.jpgpost-27-0-35177800-1569238440_thumb.png

This collection hasn't been added to any of embys metadata providers, so I made my own collection.

Here is the images I used. Thought I'd share. Just add your 23 films to the collection.

BillOatman

Ad Astra on IMDB is a 7.1.  But if you look at the reviews they are either 8-9 or 1-2.  1-2 are people expecting a SciFy movie, and the 8-9 are people expecting and liking a drama.

Disappointing for me, but thanks @@ebr now I can wait and watch it at home ... maybe.

Ad Astra on IMDB is a 7.1.  But if you look at the reviews they are either 8-9 or 1-2.  1-2 are people expecting a SciFy movie, and the 8-9 are people expecting and liking a drama.

Disappointing for me, but thanks @@ebr now I can wait and watch it at home ... maybe.

It isn't that it isn't action sci-fi.  It is that the plot makes absolutely no sense and the incredibly horrible science can be spotted by a 5th grader.  Absolutely nothing in the entire story line is even remotely believable.

It was the same thing with Gravity and Contact. Many people were disappointed. But I thought both were great.

Contact is a great movie.

adamstewiegreen

Today I watched the original Godzilla (no review necessary- if you haven't seen it, see it) and Midsommar.

Midsommar was written and directed by Ari Aster whose debut film was the unsettling horror Hereditary. And unfortunately, in nearly every aspect, Hereditary is a superior movie.  Both are similar in three ways, they both focus on religious (occult/pagan) themes, coping & mental illness and the primary emotion they are both trying to draw out is not one of fear but dread.  For this reason there are no 'jump scares' in Midsommar, at 2 1/2 hours it's a very slow burn, and the pay off at the end is somewhat disappointing.  That said, I enjoyed Ari Aster's methodical approach to story telling, most of the horror tropes are absent and nothing comes out of the blue or happen just because the story demands it.

So it's a tough call, it's like a 6.5/10 but really worth seeing because I think something great is going to come for Aster in the future.

WilhelmStroker

Heh, I watched Midsommar today as well. Not seen Hereditary yet but it's on my list of things to watch. I did enjoy Midsommar although the ending reminded me a lot of the Wicker Man.

Also rewatched Kill Bill 1 and 2. 1 is still so good. Great soundtrack, great action and fast moving. 2 isn't that great.

adamstewiegreen

Crawl: as soon as they introduced the main character as a competitive swimmer I was sure they ruined the movie - and sure enough, she out swims an alligator. EDIT:correction, multiple alligators.

Regrettable CGI in places, textbook horror/thriller but it was fairly entertaining and good for a laugh. If you want to watch a better version of this just put on Aliens, basically the same plot - she even finds the ... oops, I almost said too much.

Edited by adamstewiegreen

WilhelmStroker

Some nineties cheese, all good mindless fun.

I know what you did last summer

Dead Man's curve

Urban Legend.

All those movies have extremely similar posters...

Creep. From the same director as Severance which i really liked. As a bonus, it has Franka Potente.

3 from Hell. The latest Rob Zombie movie. Enjoyed this a lot.

The Cabinet of Dr Caligari. Weird, freaky silent german movie from 1920. Enjoyed it.

adamstewiegreen

Lone wolf and cub in the land of demons - of the 4 I've seen this was my least favorite, still good though.

Joker - the Taxi Driver of comic book movies. After Scorsese's comment about Marvel movies not being cinema (I agree), this one comes along and shows they have the potential to be (along with Logan). Grim, depressing and also humanizing it's a bold and provocative film.

And lastly, to the shock of everyone who thinks they know me, Downton Abbey - all the witticisms, humour, and charm of the series with a bigger plot (that has been noticeably (and artificially) inflated by some useless plot points). It was a nice return to Downton.

WilhelmStroker

I still haven't seen any of the Lone wolf ones, even though they've been on my list for ages. Only seen the Bob's burgers episode :D

WilhelmStroker

Watched the first Lone Wolf. Very good, need to find the time to watch the others...

Why don't you play in hell? Shono Shion's Love Exposure is one of my favourite movies ever. This is not as good but still entertaining.
Tokyo Gore Police. Typical Japanese splatterpunk movie with lots of gore. Very entertaining.
Little Monsters. Australian zombie movie...I'm pretty tired of zombie movies but this is a fresh take. 
Edited by WilhelmStroker

adamstewiegreen

Stuber: not as bad as the critics made it out to be. Although it was still more miss than hit. Not a total write-off.

El Camino: I'm a huge Breaking Bad fan, so the day this dropped I was watching it. It was both very good and completely unnecessary - a combo that is rarely achieved. Required watching for all BB fans, but pointless otherwise. I appreciated the total focus on Jesse Pinkman, it would have been easy to diverge into other areas (e.g. Skylar).

WilhelmStroker

Hail Satan? Documentary about the rise of the Satanic Temple. Interesting and very unexpected.

The cabinet of Dr Caligari. Really liked this, looks amazing and some of the sets are great, especially for a movie from 1920.

Peeping Tom. Obviously surpassed by newer movies but still pretty creepy.

Repo the genetic opera. Wtf.