XBOX app plans?

TheRealScottR

Raff

Why are we not the leading client in this department??? Jealous. :(

Because there is no native Emby client for the XB1. In fact, isn't Plex the only third-party app for home media server stuff?

I am currently happy with my Web-client/Play-to/Video or Music app, but I will be MORE happy with the XB1 official Emby app.

• 2 weeks later...
XiaNYdE

Yea, I am not in the Xbox One preview program so I'll need to wait till it's released but I wasn't thrilled that it seemed to be harder to get to your pinned apps. But in practice it may not be that bad to scroll past the recently played.

Just that currently it's 1 button (LB) but in the new design it looks like I have to scroll down a bunch. And that obviously takes more time and is less accurate.

But who knows. It could be super easy, or there could be some shortcut or something. The brief pictures and video they showed weren't that great at illustrating the non-gaming aspects (not totally surprising since it was a games show. lol)

If you want an invite to the preview program mate, throw me your gamer tag and i'll send you one, we don't have the Win10 interface as yet, but game streaming and backwards compatibilty is up and running as is wireless streaming from a Windows or Android Device, i've actually streamed emby media from my S5 to the XBox, it works fairly well for early stages.

Swynol

same here i have invites if anyone needs. streaming xbox games to my laptop is awesome, wife can hog the tv all she wants now i can play xbox on the laptop. 

screen sharing is pretty good aswell.

MrWebsmith

I'd love an invite if you guys can spare...

Mrwebsmith61 on xbl

Xzener

Lets hope the Windows 8.1/10 client will be compatible with the new XBone dashboard.

Maudite

If you want an invite to the preview program mate, throw me your gamer tag and i'll send you one

@@XiaNYdE Yes please!

"Schmev N" is my gamer tag.

I wish I could use the game streaming to more affect, however the XB1 is the only thing attached to the TV, so it doesn't buy me much.  However it does work great.  I wish someone could play a certain app on the XB1 (such as Emby) while I streamed a game somewhere else.  But I guess it does not have that much horsepower.

XiaNYdE

Been dying for an invite... Please, please @@XiaNYdE or @@Swynol

Gamer Tag: LEONYDUS

@@XiaNYdE Yes please!

I wish I could use the game streaming to more affect, however the XB1 is the only thing attached to the TV, so it doesn't buy me much.  However it does work great.  I wish someone could play a certain app on the XB1 (such as Emby) while I streamed a game somewhere else.  But I guess it does not have that much horsepower.

No probs guys, i'll get them to you tonight, i'll have to add you to friends then send, it can take up to 24hrs to receive the invite, once confirmed and you link your XBox to the preview program, it's usually another 2-3 days for the latest preview update to roll out to you.

trooper11

@@XiaNYdE Yes please!

Actually, I think it has more to do with a lack of dual display support via software. Remember, the X1 can already allow you to play a game while running other apps via snap. So the power would be there, it is just going to require a custom UI experience while someone is streaming. You would have to limit what the person on the Xbox and the pc can do while streaming is enabled.

KidNamedCudi

@XiaNYdE I would love to be able to stream games to my pc that would be a huge win in my household.

My gamer tag is KidNamedCudi32

Edited by KidNamedCudi

techywarrior

@XiaNYdE I would love to be able to stream games to my pc that would be a huge win in my household.

My gamer tag is KidNamedCudi32

You already can without the Xbox Preview. You just need Win10 on the PC and the June/July Xbox update.

I've done it a few times already. Works very well.

jhoff80

They posted a new screenshot of the current state of the new dashboard today:

CLlj0TUWwAA9nph.png

Better than what they originally showed, but still too gamer-centric for it to be my living room streaming device.  Hopefully that changes by the time it's released, otherwise I'll need another Fire TV Stick or something.

Edited by jhoff80

Well I think your comment says it all, for your needs at least. There are a lot of other choices at a fraction of the cost.

Maudite

No probs guys, i'll get them to you tonight, i'll have to add you to friends then send, it can take up to 24hrs to receive the invite, once confirmed and you link your XBox to the preview program, it's usually another 2-3 days for the latest preview update to roll out to you.

I haven't received anything, so I tried adding you as a friend.  I'd still like to get on the preview program if I can.  I'm on most other MS preview stuff.  :)

Thanks.

KidNamedCudi

You already can without the Xbox Preview. You just need Win10 on the PC and the June/July Xbox update.

I've done it a few times already. Works very well.

I would need them to actually send me the windows 10 update! Going on 8 days and waiting..... tempted to sail the high pirate seas if I don't see it soon....

Maudite

Are you on win8 or win7?  I'm quite sure anyone can kick it off early anytime they want, provided you have used the taskbar tool to "reserve" your copy.  I've done it on numerous machines around our place.  If you are on win8, don't use the metro style windows update, find the old style one and you will see an ability to start the win10 upgrade (search "windows update" then choose the icon that looks like a screen with the two green arrows).

If it is not showing up, does the taskbar reservation tool show that your PC has been validated?  If not, then I question if you have your scheduled maintenance disabled perhaps?  Maybe manually run the scheduled maintenance (open up the action center [little flag on the taskbar] and run the scheduled maintenance).

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

Is there perhaps any update on the Xbox One app?  Is there any development at all right now or does it have to wait until Win10 gets onto the xbone's before you can do any development?  I'm hoping that we can really get some movement on this, because unfortunately to keep my family happy in the mean time, I've had to resort to using Plex as well.  Simply not where I can to be going, but on my Roku's and XBone's, it just works better as far as playability.  But when it comes to media management, Emby still cannot be beat.  So just begging for some sort of update on on this.  Thanks.

• Like 1

trooper11

Well I cant speak for the devs here, but MS said that the Win 10 update to the Xbox One is due for November. That would be the earliest any app could show up on the new app store that comes with the update. I would guess that even once that happens, we might see a beta Emby app for testing and feedback.

That is what I am hoping for as well, but over the past six months seeing the usability of the X1 drop right off to nearly nothing has been very frustrating.  I was then going to bitch about not knowing what is going on with an X1 client, but then I thought about it.  If they give us a time frame, then  we are disappointed if they don't meet it.  So, the devs have said it is coming, I'm going to shut up and continue waiting.  Emby is what I'm sticking with, because there is nothing out there that compares.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's not really their fault.  Microsoft still has not yet opened up the SDK or app submissions or anything of the sort yet.

Also, I received the new dashboard preview yesterday, and I really hate it.  This reflexive pandering that Microsoft has been doing in Windows 10 and now Xbox just is not making for the best UI decisions (in my opinion, of course).

One problem I am having with using X1 as my living room client is with the use of "Film and TV".

Because my user account in Xbox 1 is not restricted, each time a movie finishes the Xbox returns to the "Play to" screen which advertises Xbox video. This is an issue because the movies it advertises are not filtered, so a movie like Poltergeist shows up and scares the crap out of my four year old.

If I leave the Xbox on his account, which ha restrictions, it means more button presses to play media.

Let's face it, the "Xbox show my stuff" command is utterly useless.

Edited by chef

It's not really their fault.  Microsoft still has not yet opened up the SDK or app submissions or anything of the sort yet.

Also, I received the new dashboard preview yesterday, and I really hate it.  This reflexive pandering that Microsoft has been doing in Windows 10 and now Xbox just is not making for the best UI decisions (in my opinion, of course).

I thought Xbone running Win10 will be using Windows Universal Apps?

• 4 weeks later...
jhoff80

I thought Xbone running Win10 will be using Windows Universal Apps?

Yes, but there will be some sort of Xbox 'extension' package just like how there's a phone extension in the SDK.  And not all Universal apps will run on the Xbox.  The app has to be targeted for it still.  Finally, Microsoft hasn't talked about how the Store will be opened up for the Xbox... whether it'll still be curated, whether it's a free-for-all, or anything in between.  Microsoft hasn't publicly given any of this information yet, so Emby can't really do much.  They can start porting / updating the WinRT app to Windows UWP, but even still that gives no real information about the app running on the Xbox One yet.