XBOX app plans?

TheRealScottR

Those are really two different questions.

The answer to the first one is yes you need the server running but it really isn't all that different from MB 2 (which had a service component that was always running).

The answer to the second one may be irrelevant but you can't run MBC on the xbox one without also having a machine somewhere else running WMC at the same time.  This is how the extender technology works.  So, that same machine could also have the server on it and any drive it can access would be available to it.

Does the XBox One function as a WMC extender?  I was under the impression that that functionality was dropped.

No, you are correct.  When he was asking about WMC I made the incorrect extrapolation that he actually meant the 360.

In that case, both questions are moot since the XBOne does not act as an extender and we don't yet have a native app for it.

scbundy

Those are really two different questions.

The answer to the first one is yes you need the server running but it really isn't all that different from MB 2 (which had a service component that was always running).

The answer to the second one may be irrelevant but you can't run MBC on the xbox one without also having a machine somewhere else running WMC at the same time.  This is how the extender technology works.  So, that same machine could also have the server on it and any drive it can access would be available to it.

Oh, so I'd still need another PC running a MB Server for the Xbox One MB app to connect to?  It can't just look for my movie collection off the Xbox One external drive?

Edited by scbundy

Oh, so I'd still need another PC running a MB Server for the Xbox One MB app to connect to?  It can't just look for my movie collection off the Xbox One external drive?

Sorry, see above.  I confused the issue.  We do not have an XBox One app right now so I assumed you were talking about the 360.  But, when we do have an XBox One app, it will require a server to connect to somewhere I imagine.  The server is the heart of every MB system.

scbundy

Sorry, see above.  I confused the issue.  We do not have an XBox One app right now so I assumed you were talking about the 360.  But, when we do have an XBox One app, it will require a server to connect to somewhere I imagine.  The server is the heart of every MB system.

I understand.  Thanks for clarifying.  I'm disappointed though.  Still looking for my perfect all-in-one software.

ncarty97

I'm pretty happy with the server solution.  I have it running in its own VM on my home server and its nice being able to send my content to virtually any device we have without worrying about if the format is right.  We use the 360 as an extender for live and recorded TV at one location.  We have a Roku there for WatchESPN and I've been planning to add MediaBrowser to it as well.  Ideally though, we'd just use the 360 for everything.  My more wife friendly!

scbundy

It's the wife friendly part that deters me here.  This is conversation I want to avoid:

"Look honey, now the Xbox One can play our entire DVD collection.  All you need to do is run upstairs, turn on the computer, come back down and..."

"I'm just gonna put in the disk, does that still work?"

"... yes."

ncarty97

That's strange.  My WHS has a 12TB array in it, has run 24/7 for at least 5 years and I've had only one hard drive failure the entire time.

scbundy

Roughly I had 1 drive die every year in my HTPC before I finally gave up and replaced it with a fancy PVR.  I can't afford to keep replacing hardware like that.

Use green drives and let them sleep.  Shouldn't be a problem from that perspective.  But, you do need to have a machine somewhere to run the server.

This is way off topic now though....

• Like 1

scbundy

Considering they have years of development on us and orders of magnitude more resources I think it is pretty amazing how close we are.  Also, we do have some things they don't (user management and better metadata for instance).

Can I ask if you also have local file playback?  For example, with the Plex app, you need to be running a Plex server on your network.  Trouble with that is that we need to have a machine powered on all the time.  With Media Browser on WMC you just need to point to a folder structure and don't need to be running the server.  I guess what I'm asking is, can we put our movie / tv structure on an external USB drive plugged into the Xbox One?

Chris Jones

I just bought an xbox one last night and i really hope MB3 gets an xbox app. What's the best way of playing content from MB3 on it currently?

swhitmore

I just bought an xbox one last night and i really hope MB3 gets an xbox app. What's the best way of playing content from MB3 on it currently?

Either DLNA ('PlayTo' or browsing with the new Xbox media player) or the web client in IE

• Like 1

MrWebsmith

using IE for the webclient works well for me.. im not in the preview program so i dont have the dnla browsing available yet, but IE (or playto like scott suggests) both work well in my setup

• Like 1

trooper11

I'm also using IE on my X1 and it works fine outside of a lack of voice control and remote control options. I'm very much looking forward to an X1 app that has proper voice control.

I'll add in my vote for this yet again as well.  I will most certainly buy the app for our two X1's, and if made for the 360, will buy it for the three x360's we use as well.

Also, I would be happy to beta test, as we only use MediaBrowser, no longer have any TV service.  So MB gets used on a daily basis.

Edited by Maudite
  • Like 2

techywarrior

While we wait for the official app, the October update for Xbox One has been released with MKV support and DLNA for anyone who wasn't in the preview program.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
leedavies

Meanwhile... I've noticed using the web interface on xbox one, video plays back great, but the bar to skip forwards or backwards can't be used.  clicking to jump to another point in the video just causes playback to stop.  It doesn't seem possible to do anything other than play a video from the start to the end or to pause/stop midway through.  

How can I jump ahead or skip back?

Either use the scenes, that will get you within 5 minutes.  Or skip to where you want on a PC and close the video, then resume it on the xbone.  The other thing that does not work most unfortunately, is subtitles.