XBOX app plans?

TheRealScottR

I think I can probably support the stick, I didn't realize the xbox one remote depends on that.

techywarrior

I think techywarrior might be referring to the Xbox smartglass smartphone app

Yes, but at least on Windows that app is now called Xbox App. I did not try a physical Xbox remote control (I suspect that would actually work since it probably maps to the d-pad)

chef

Has anyone had any trouble using smartglass remote with the theatre ui. The controller works great for me, but the smartglass remote seems to not work....

chef

Is that not what the last few posts are about?

Yep... just read 'em... sorry about that...

chef

Does anyone know if it is possible to change icons used in the xb1 dashboard for what is pinned?

The emby pin grabbed an old iexporer icon.

• Like 1

I need to find the right meta tag to embed in the html to use a custom icon, nothing you need to do.

• Like 5

jasonmcroy

Overall not bad.

Analog stick doesn't seem to work (required to use d-pad to navigate) which also may be why I couldn't navigate using the Xbox App's "remote control".

Would like to see their RT/LT or RB/LB be mapped to page up/down to navigate around better.

Definitely going to be good once it can get wrapped up as a Xbox App (when MS opens that up)

This must be the reason my Harmony remote won't work with the Emby App. The direction buttons must be mapped to the stick and not the D-pad. 

Luke, if you map the stick so the Xbox App can use the direction controls I think that would automatically fix the Harmony remote for me as well. 

gsnerf

Hmm this doesn't seem to work for me on xbox one.

1. I can't login with emby connect, as the site doesn't update after submitting the pin with my phone even though it says pin accepted on the phone (works fine on win10).

2. I can't manually connect to my server with an internal IP or DNS name (my server is NOT accessible through the internet, and it is not meant to be!).

On xbox one: I can't even enter the ip/server name as I just can't get any on screen keyboard to come up

On Win10: it just says it cannot connect.

I guess this is supposed to just work with both server and client connected through emby connect and the server beeing accessible from the web for the moment?

chef

There was a couple instances where, for some reason, edge had a problem allowing focus to the interface.

It happened during the initial setup. When choosing the IP adress for the server. A quick restart solved the issue.

But, whatever you do, do not choose to use the cursor in xbox edge with the interface. I know it is not nessessary, but I tried it anyway. The interface gets confused between the ten foot version and the cursor.

For instance, if you start to use the ten foot ui, and the cursor is enabled, the cursor will dissappear on the screen, but if you press the selection button, the item chosen will be the one the cursor was hovering over before it went invisible.

That might not make sense, but just don't enable the cursor (not that you need it...)

Really enjoying this. It is so nice to see my media collection on my big screen TV again. It has been so long using the "films/tv" playto options in my living room, it's just such pleasure!

bryancole

@@Luke, if you can find the correct tag and get mobile devices, harmony remotes, and all the other non-xbox controllers out there to work with the existing Emby Theater client, then that would eliminate a lot of angst going on in my household!

Any ETAs you can provide would be welcome indeed (though, since I have zero insight into your backlog, I don't know where this is getting prioritized)

SikSlayer

I need to find the right meta tag to embed in the html to use a custom icon, nothing you need to do.

Oh, all right. I tried using the web app on my Windows 10 Mobile phone (Lumia 640, 720p display) and I had the same issue saving the page to a tile. No Emby icon. I was hoping to try it on my Xbox and see the same, so I'd know it's something being worked on. Good to know it's what I assumed.

Edited by SikSlayer

techywarrior

MS said at GDC today that the XBox One will get the ability to run UWP apps this summer. Should find out more at Build in two weeks time.

"First off, the Xbox One is going to get the ability to run those Windows 10 UWP apps later this summer, with the Xbox Store and the Windows Store getting merged into one. Furthermore, UWP apps are gradually going to open up over the course of this year to run the more advanced graphics settings that PC gamers demand."

The second part of the quote is in reference to some companies complaining about Vsync being forced on and other limitations (60 fps lock) of AAA game development (packaging) in UWP and can be ignored for this discussion.

The big news is that we may finally be seeing UWP on Xbox One in 4-5 months.... Finally!

Hopefully we do get more info at Build. Like if the store will be curated or any UWP app that marks itself as being allowed (by the dev) on the Xbox One will show up in the store.

• Like 3

gsnerf

I have finally been able to connect and use the app. However, using the xbox one controller directly on the xbox I had to first enable the mouse mode in edge to be able to trigger the on screen keyboard, enter the correct local address then disable mouse mode again. After this intermezzo I can use the app as intended.

I'm still having some playback issues with videos as well as some MP3s:

- Watching some videos I can reproducably cause the web app to crash edge as a whole. Is it possible to gather some kind of debug info on client side to determine what the problem is? I suppose it's rather hard to get this kind of information as the console is closed pretty tightly :/

- I have problems playing some mp3s. I have a rather large collection of MP3s ripped from my CDs. I ripped them all using the same settings. Nevertheless, while some of those mp3s can be played without a problem, some won't play at all. I haven't been able to find any kind of distinction between the files playing and those not. Incidently this problem applies to using the media player app and streaming through emby server.

• 2 weeks later...
techywarrior

Some more details at BUILD today.

MS said that UWP apps are coming to Xbox with the Anniversary Update (Win 10 Redstone) this summer. Still no exact date but since they called it "anniversary" I'd expect it near the end of July.

• Like 4

SikSlayer

I keep hoping a UWP app has been in development this whole time.

But then I realized that each platform, Windows, Xbox, and Windows Mobile, each deserve a different interface. The phone basically needs the same as the Android/iOS app, which are both basically just a web app version of the site, and that the Xbox version should be Emby Theater basically. But I wonder how that'd work when snapped. An Emby Universal app needs a good 'snapped' UI.

kingy444

Happy to be a tester for the xbox one app once its available

I am an xbox preview member so will likely have the update a few weeks prior to general public, sometimes longer depending on the kinks

On a side note, if anyone wants to be a preview member PM me your gamertag

Seen some news from build that Xbox one will be easy to put in dev mode now.. Should make testing/building the app easier???

trooper11

Seen some news from build that Xbox one will be easy to put in dev mode now.. Should make testing/building the app easier???

It definitely will.  It opens up so many options for developers, so I hope that means its easier for the developers here to take advantage of xbox features.  I'm glad to see a timeframe in site for proper UWP support on Xbox.

• Like 2

Also the w32 to UWP app builder.. Couldn't theater potentially just get dropped in there to rebuild???

• Like 2

MrWebsmith

considering that theater web/hosted "app" is already decently usable (some tweaks etc still in progress im sure) on the xb1, id tend to agree, Lee

• Like 2

Whether Theater becomes the Emby Xbox app depends strictly on one thing really - which is MS improving the Edge rendering engine to provide the same level of performance as Chromium. If that happens, which I think it will, then we'll take Theater, give it a custom video player designed for the Xbox, and then also add whatever other Xbox-specific features are available. If that doesn't happen then obviously we'll look at other options, but you can see for yourself right now, it's pretty close to performing at full speed, so Edge doesn't need to match Chromium in order to handle Theater, it only needs to improve a little. And by then we'll have additional skins so Theater will have it's own little ecosystem.

• Like 4

FrostByte

Hopefully that means it will play DTS without transcoding.  I have very little ACS and most my movies all transcode on the xb1 now.