XBOX app plans?

TheRealScottR

I keep hoping a UWP app has been in development this whole time.

But then I realized that each platform, Windows, Xbox, and Windows Mobile, each deserve a different interface. The phone basically needs the same as the Android/iOS app, which are both basically just a web app version of the site, and that the Xbox version should be Emby Theater basically. But I wonder how that'd work when snapped. An Emby Universal app needs a good 'snapped' UI.

This is a core part of what UWP is. You use the same code for all the background work for the app (phone, desktop/tablet, and XBox...even HoloLens for that matter), and different parts of the interface is customised (using VisualStateManager) to suit the screen being displayed on (which is how Continuum works, allowing you to have the desktop UI on the bigger screen even though you're really running it from your phone).

​Personally, I'd like to see this be what happens with the Emby Windows app. Write one app, and let the screen type dictate whether we see a Mobile, Tablet or 10-foot UI.

• Like 2

jhoff80

Also the w32 to UWP app builder.. Couldn't theater potentially just get dropped in there to rebuild???

That's not how it works.  The Win32 to UWP thing just packages up a Win32 app into a .appx installer to be put into the Store.  It doesn't convert its code to run on other platforms.  It'll still be desktop x86/x64 Windows only.

That's not how it works.  The Win32 to UWP thing just packages up a Win32 app into a .appx installer to be put into the Store.  It doesn't convert its code to run on other platforms.  It'll still be desktop x86/x64 Windows only.

Doesn't that defeat the object of the name "universal windows platform"? Plus it says Cortana and live tiles can be added surely that requires some code change? i'm no dev like so may be chatting sh*t

Logos302

As far as I know jhoff80 is incorrect it works the same way the Project Islandwood does by "converting" it and allowing it to run on any windows 10 device.  That includes xbox and mobile phones and possibly even IOT devices.  But as most of this stuff is in flux things could change :).  

* edit did some more ready and it looks like part of what jhoff80 is correct it is using appx, but what isn't clear is weather that will run on xbox and mobile devices.  Some sites including microsoft say yes some don't say at all

Edited by Logos302

kingy444

Not sure about current stable release, but current Beta Xbox dashboard has the dev mode activation available already :-)

• Like 1

jhoff80

Islandwood:  Developer takes their iOS code and that code actually gets converted into a starting point for a UWP app.

Centennial:  Developer takes their .msi installer and it packages into an .appx installer to be installed from the Windows Store.  It doesn't modify any code, and only runs on desktop W10.  You can add UWP components (like Live Tiles, etc.) but the main app remains desktop only.  The idea is that the developer transitions more and more into the app container side (the 'true' UWP portion):  https://msdn.microsoft.com/windows/uwp/porting/desktop-to-uwp-root .  As the article says, if the developer eventually completely transitions it into that part, only then is it actually universal.

Edited by jhoff80

• 1 month later...

So, I just recently got an Xbox One. Of course one of the first things I did was use Edge to access Emby. After a little bit of playing around I got it to work. I have to say, I was blown away! It was awesome. Unfortunately "was" is the key word. I can no longer get it to work. I have tried everything I can think of. Currently I have it as far as clicking on the server. It then tells me my user name and password are invalid. I don't have the server password protected so I don't get that. Is there a step by step guide to getting this to work consistently? Or maybe one of you guys who have this working can give me some pointers. I would really appreciate it.

So, I just recently got an Xbox One. Of course one of the first things I did was use Edge to access Emby. After a little bit of playing around I got it to work. I have to say, I was blown away! It was awesome. Unfortunately "was" is the key word. I can no longer get it to work. I have tried everything I can think of. Currently I have it as far as clicking on the server. It then tells me my user name and password are invalid. I don't have the server password protected so I don't get that. Is there a step by step guide to getting this to work consistently? Or maybe one of you guys who have this working can give me some pointers. I would really appreciate it.

Hi, the easiest thing to do is sign in with emby connect using the pin code feature. Then it gives you instructions on how to proceed.

Hi, the easiest thing to do is sign in with emby connect using the pin code feature. Then it gives you instructions on how to proceed.

That's how it worked the first time. Now it says that it is unable to get a pin at this time.

Edited by Don

TheRealScottR

That's how it worked the first time. Now it says that it is unable to get a pin at this time.

That's the same problem I am having. Unable to produce pin. Logging in manually works, but when I select my profile, it says invalid user id and password or something like that. 

swhitmore

Islandwood:  Developer takes their iOS code and that code actually gets converted into a starting point for a UWP app.

Centennial:  Developer takes their .msi installer and it packages into an .appx installer to be installed from the Windows Store.  It doesn't modify any code, and only runs on desktop W10.  You can add UWP components (like Live Tiles, etc.) but the main app remains desktop only.  The idea is that the developer transitions more and more into the app container side (the 'true' UWP portion):  https://msdn.microsoft.com/windows/uwp/porting/desktop-to-uwp-root .  As the article says, if the developer eventually completely transitions it into that part, only then is it actually universal.

Once the offline version of Emby Theatre is developed, it would be nice to see it as a UWP with a live tile and notifications.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
trooper11

While I'm sure ths would take a while to impliment, I hope that once an app can be producded for the XB1, it can hook into Cortana since I use voice commands heavily now.

I would think that a UWP would have enough access to Cortana to pull that off on the Xbox since I've seen many 3rd party apps doing it on a pc with Cortana.

Vicpa

Hi All,

Stay "strong" a Windows UWP app is in the works!!! :)

@@FrostByte  ----" Will it run on XB1 and Windows phones then too?"

@@7illusions.."  Yup          ."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
7illusions

It's released, but Microsoft doesn't allow apps to show in XB1 Store yet. Have a look in the Windows8/10 part of the forum for more info about the app.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Emby Theater is available in the Xbox One store now.

Are there any plans, that the emby xbox one app will have the same features and get the same useability as the android and fire clients? If not, i think i will sell my xbox one ;-)

i would love to be able to use my xbox one in the living room as my media center with emby. there is so much potential with the xbox one, f.e. voice commands with kinect and so on. at the moment the xbo xone client is miles behind the other clients in my opinion.

by the way, concerning live tv - in the android tv and fire clients using the external video player/vlc live tv runs fine and stutter free. using the xbox one emby client live tv (HD channels) stutters a lot for me.

Edited by cybe