XBOX app plans?

TheRealScottR

I have gotten the subtitles to work on my xbone

If you would be so kind, please share how you have been able to get this to work.  Surely there are other people who could benefit from it.

Thanks.

• Like 1

kingy444

I understand Microsoft issue with local content (to some degree) as they of course want to increase revenue

But how did plex get around this ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys! Thought I would layout some of the things that are required to build Xbox apps.

I have, in my spare time, been working towards being able to contribute to the Xbox store. Be it with help building a media browser App, or (because I think the Xbox needs one) a simple weather app.

Mircosoft has made a move to start building cross platform apps. This means that the same type of code can be used in win phone, windows 8 and Xbox one.

Did you know that the Xbox one is actually build on three specific operating systems.

1. Is the gaming OS

2. Is plan old windows 8

3. And one which helps you maneuver between the other two.

We know that Xbox one apps will be utilizing the winjs style of code writing, along with their API.

We also know that Microsoft is extremely sensitive with whom they are allowing the sdk for Xbox one to be utilized, and who they are releasing it at the moment.

If you are even an average coder or would like to see an Xbox one app be built and want to help. I suggest reading into JavaScript HTML5 and CSS.

There is some great Xbox one app development videos on "Channel 9"

Until then, I know the media browser team is working on it :)

techywarrior

It's not quite as simple as you describe but essentially yes. Xbox One has a streamlined gaming OS (not sure what it's based on). The Win8 Kernal (but not the full OS, and a custom Hyper-V hypervisor to communicate between them and be the level 0 layer.

From the sound of it (but it's in no way clear) the update for the Xbox One to Win10 is more then just the Kernal. It sounds like it's going to get a lot more of the "OS" this time around.

That''s definitely cool with me. The Xbox has become a centre all hub in my home for all media. I wasn't expecting that when I bought the thing. Still, from what I read and watched on channel 9, they have made it extremely easy to bold apps and, the multitasking in Xbox one will only get better if they add to the app OS.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
meesterover

Where is this XB1 application?

I have yet to get my hands on the XB1 SDK, even with my BizSpark account I was rejected. About to submit again.

I can already code in winjs, I just need a dang SDK!

swhitmore

I have yet to get my hands on the XB1 SDK, even with my BizSpark account I was rejected. About to submit again.

You will probably need to wait until universal apps hit the Xbox One with Windows 10. Should be later this year.

You answered you're own question.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
KidNamedCudi

Is there any update on the xbox one Emby app? I have seen more apps getting added to the microsoft store on the Xbox One recently and wondering if Windows has opened up the market to allow Emby in?

Edited by KidNamedCudi

lrhlpz

I hope Emby that devs can build an Universal app with free update for current Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 8.1 users...

trooper11

Windows 10 is the gateway to a more universal app across Xbox, phone, and pc/tablet.  We still have some time to wait though.  As Win 10 gets closer to release, developers have a chance to make plans and see if their app can be properly built as a universal app.

• 4 weeks later...
badaas

I have to say that those mentioning the Pl*x inc. xbone app, it is very much in a shi#$torm of complaints from the users who paid for it, so really don't go jumping ship expecting something... :P

And I'd have to say coming from emby to them, you would be going back into the dark ages switching.. (my own view ofc.).

vaise

Im about to pull the pin on an XBox One.  To add to the 6 xbox360's we have in the house for media content.  Please give me a reason to NOT buy the lifetime plexpass.......  DLNA is not it.  The recent posts look positive...

chef

Vaise,

I know that it is a long time coming.

But, Luke has an Xbox one, and last month did put some time Into the device for DLNA.

I think that the development team has to wait for win 10 to be released to the public before they can make any official announcement for Xbox one.

Like I say: a long time coming.

But it is coming.

Edited by chef