XBOX app plans?

TheRealScottR

lrhlpz

Vaise,

I know that it is a long time coming.

But, Luke has an Xbox one, and last month did put some time Into the device for DLNA.

I think that the development team has to wait for win 10 to be released to the public before they can make any official announcement for Xbox one.

Like I say: a long time coming.

But it is coming.

Will you support Windows 10? because if you will, then Xbox One will be supported, UWP (Universal Windows Platform) apps are really universal. You can develop (and debug) Windows 10 apps now with Visual Studio 2015, you can test on a Windows 10 machine and on Windows 10 mobile phones. 

Edited by lrhlpz
  • Like 1

chef

I am not the best person to ask regarding upcoming releases of the server or clients.

But, I would imagine that with the idea of emby being cutting edge, that win 10 would most likely be supported and also in the future Xbox one.

It will be only a matter of time.

I heard through the grape vine that there has been movement towards Xbox one client apps, and that it could be closer to the fall before we would see anything confirmed. But I don't want to put any words into the main development teams mouths.

All I could say is that it is being looked into.

chef

yes the unified platform is the plan

There you have it! And that, my friends, is awesome!!

Lee

7illusions app should be an easy coversion is my guess.. His and Scotts wp app rolled into one can only be a good thing imho...

• Like 1

vaise

July then maybe.....  As Win 10 is expected then....  And once Win 10 goes on my main PC, Media centre is no more, and all the eggs are in the emby app for xbox/xbox1 basket.  Likely with MediaPortal doing the FTA recording with IceTV, and emby delivering the content....

Edited by vaise

chef

July then maybe..... As Win 10 is expected then.... And once Win 10 goes on my main PC, Media centre is no more, and all the eggs are in the emby app for xbox/xbox1 basket. Likely with MediaPortal doing the FTA recording with IceTV, and emby delivering the content....

Cool. I need a dvr program. Perhaps I'll take your lead.

I also here that Xbox one will allow USB cable cards to be attached in the near future, so I was going to use one I had laying around when that happens.

ncarty97

Cool. I need a dvr program. Perhaps I'll take your lead.

have you considered the HDHomeRun DVR?  It should be out in August if I understand the Kickstarter right.

I also here that Xbox one will allow USB cable cards to be attached in the near future, so I was going to use one I had laying around when that happens.

That would be awesome, but I doubt it actually happens.  I don't think MSFT is particularly interested in the DVR space since they can't monetize it.  I'd prefer it just access a network tuner myself, but I'd take anything.

• Like 1

Raff

FWIW:

Gamespot seems to think MS will get into the DVR game.

I am not sure MS is seeking to monetize every aspect, but they definitely want to be the entertainment hub. The behavioral metadata from the app would likely be worth it alone.

vaise

Im heavily investing in the HDHomerun dual network tuners - I have three of them, so can record 6 channels at the same time.  Whatever I buy would have to support those.  WMC has worked great with them - but Media portal does also.  Just an FYI - we hardly every watch live TV - we have a dvr in another room for that - Our life is one big timeshift.  

Right now I have till end of July to decide what to do with all this as I have posted before :

Option 1 - Buy plex lifetime plexpass - all xboxes can then use the plex app in every room ($149) - I have trialed this and it works great - no more waiting for media centre to start, no more 'cant connect to media centre', and lately, the emby settings are getting randomly lost, meaning they have to be setup again (adjust the overscan, remove the images etc etc)

Option 2 - Wait for Emby to have the same apps that Plex has for xbox360 and the xbox one

Option 3 - Dump all xboxes used as extenders, and buy streaming boxes (that can run plex/emby) - likely roku players (hence delay till July as I am off to the states then where they are cheaper)

Roku players benefits - immediate start and massive channels is the benefit.  Wife loves the one in the bedroom I bought for testing, no longer get the message 'Cant connect to media centre.  Its always on, low power, instant TV, plus the relaxation channel to go to sleep too is great.

Plex benefits - no need to load media centre - hence fast startup.

Im trying to string the family along till July - but with all the media centre connect issues lately, they are using the plex apps more and more.    

• 3 weeks later...
lrhlpz

I am not the best person to ask regarding upcoming releases of the server or clients.

But, I would imagine that with the idea of emby being cutting edge, that win 10 would most likely be supported and also in the future Xbox one.

It will be only a matter of time.

I heard through the grape vine that there has been movement towards Xbox one client apps, and that it could be closer to the fall before we would see anything confirmed. But I don't want to put any words into the main development teams mouths.

All I could say is that it is being looked into.

Cool, Windows 10 will  be released next month, I'm waiting for new news about Emby app.

yes the unified platform is the plan

Well, Xbox One and Hololens confirmed? B)

trooper11

~

Cool, Windows 10 will  be released next month, I'm waiting for new news about Emby app.

Well, Xbox One and Hololens confirmed? B)

Well keep in mind that while Win 10 is releasing next month for desktops and tablets, it will not release for phones or Xbox until a bit of time after that, no dates yet.  So any sort of client app that spanned all platform would have to wait a bit longer.

Regarding the HoloLens support, the nice thing there is that technically that universal client app that could be built would be Hololens ready without much effort on the developer end.

• Like 1

lrhlpz

~

Well keep in mind that while Win 10 is releasing next month for desktops and tablets, it will not release for phones or Xbox until a bit of time after that, no dates yet.  So any sort of client app that spanned all platform would have to wait a bit longer.

holidays 2015:

home-new.0.jpg

• Like 2

jhoff80

Unfortunately, to me it appears they've destroyed the interface when it comes to media and streaming.

I play lots of games, so the interface is something I wouldn't necessarily mind individually, but as a living room device frequently used by non-gamers this just doesn't work.  It's looking very likely that I'll have to buy another Fire TV or the like when this update comes out.

techywarrior

Yea, I am not in the Xbox One preview program so I'll need to wait till it's released but I wasn't thrilled that it seemed to be harder to get to your pinned apps. But in practice it may not be that bad to scroll past the recently played.

Just that currently it's 1 button (LB) but in the new design it looks like I have to scroll down a bunch. And that obviously takes more time and is less accurate.

But who knows. It could be super easy, or there could be some shortcut or something. The brief pictures and video they showed weren't that great at illustrating the non-gaming aspects (not totally surprising since it was a games show. lol)

Just that currently it's 1 button (LB) but in the new design it looks like I have to scroll down a bunch. And that obviously takes more time and is less accurate.

I haven't seen any detailed videos, but I kinda assumed it was still LB which would go to your "gamer tag" in that screen cap. Then your pins would be there. I use my pins a lot, so that would be very annoying if they took them away.

What I don't get is how my GF and I will both be displayed when we are logged in together. Maybe multiple circles with avatars in the upper left?

techywarrior

I haven't seen any detailed videos, but I kinda assumed it was still LB which would go to your "gamer tag" in that screen cap. Then your pins would be there. I use my pins a lot, so that would be very annoying if they took them away.

In the brief video they showed at E3 they showed the pinned apps were now below the recently played on the main screen. So in that screenshot there is a section just below where Netflix is shown that is the pinned apps section. I believe the quote from the guy from MS demoing it was "you scroll past the recently played games" so it didn't sound like LB was used anymore to get to the pins.

But that can certainly change between now and the release. Or there could be other ways to get to the pins that he just didn't mention.

With there now going to be a lot more apps that people are going to use on the Xbox One (due to unified apps etc. I hope that they realize that people are going to want a lot of quick access to the apps.

What I don't get is how my GF and I will both be displayed when we are logged in together. Maybe multiple circles with avatars in the upper left?

I'm guessing something like that. Sort of how now they are two squares next to each other.

jhoff80

Some video said that you could just press RB or RT to jump down to the bottom.  Still though, part of the reason they're massively overhauling Windows in the first place is because they've found that hidden functionality is confusing to users, and now they're hiding pins off the screen with no sign of them.  At least with Pins on the current dashboard they show the header, making it really easy for anyone to figure out how to navigate.  With this new gamer-centric UI, they're promoting some completely useless stuff like Game DVR and Game Hubs while hiding away any hint of media capabilities.

Obviously we'll see what happens when this is finally released, but it feels to me that with this new dashboard, Microsoft is more concerned with fighting the backlash of the original Xbox One reveal than they are with making a good living room interface for everyone.

Edited by jhoff80

In the brief video they showed at E3 they showed the pinned apps were now below the recently played on the main screen. So in that screenshot there is a section just below where Netflix is shown that is the pinned apps section. I believe the quote from the guy from MS demoing it was "you scroll past the recently played games" so it didn't sound like LB was used anymore to get to the pins.

Yeah, saw a video after I posted (well, a longer demo with Major Nelson, probably the one you are talking about) where he said "Where are my pins?" and the other guy said "scroll down" which I do not like.

I love my pins and use them all the time. I can only see using them more as the app marketplace expands - just as you said. I use a lot of voice commands during media consumption, so maybe I will be using Cortana to launch apps in the future.

Some video said that you could just press RB or RT to jump down to the bottom. 

Hmmmm, RT (jump to bottom) and LT (jump to top) could be a tolerable way to move across all the vertical real estate in this UI.

Someone has already started suggesting improving it:

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/253802-home-settings/suggestions/8436100-pins-need-to-be-moved-on-the-new-dashboard

Oh, I thought you were posting that screenshot in excitement which is why I liked it. But now that I look further, it seems very Playstation-like, no?

trooper11

Oh, I thought you were posting that screenshot in excitement which is why I liked it. But now that I look further, it seems very Playstation-like, no?

It also looks a lot like the Xbox app in Windows 10.

Also, if you think about it, this new UI takes on a more Media Center style with vertical instead of horizontal navigation.

Edited by trooper11

trooper11

I would probably wait before passing judgment and assuming its going to suck for media use.

MS is indeed going to cater to gamers, but that wont be the whole story. E3 focused on the gaming side, as it should be. Don't crucify MS just yet lol.

The online crowds demand MS not proudly proclaim non-gaming features, so they will talk about such things in a more subdued way, even if they mean a lot to some of us. MS hasn't invested so much time into the non gaming features like TV/Streaming media integration to just throw it all away with the new UI. I would be pretty shocked if they weren't building in functionality to better handle heavier app usage thanks to the universal store. Better voice command support via Cortana is just the start.

One of my early takeaways from the videos is that performance is looking very good. We will see how the rest of it shapes up. There is a long way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
Raff

Sorta back on topic, I stumbled across this:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-plugs-westminster-as-one-of-its-four-bridges-to-the-future-of-windows-universal-apps/

So, apparently there are multiple ways to create universal apps - and Emby already has the foundation for all four. I am definitely looking forward to whatever the team goes with. I haven't found any release dates for the new dashboard other than "soon after Win10". I agree with trooper11 - it did appear faster and if there are easy ways to use my pins, then I am sold.