Ubuntu

Luke

sfatula

You installed the I965-va-driver and added video group to emby user? vainfo shows it?

If you do:

ffmpeg -hwaccels

does it show vaapi? 

The above is to make sure whatever ffmpeg you are using was built with vaapi. 

Assuming yes, you'll have to try the 01.org site given my other suggestion was a total failure. Or have you done all that yet? Still hoping we can find a way. I am not really a gui guy, I have managed scores of linux machines for a long long time, but they were always headless!

Edited by sfatula
  • Like 1

LeidenSpain

You installed the I965-va-driver and added video group to emby user? vainfo shows it?

If you do:

ffmpeg -hwaccels

does it show vaapi? 

The above is to make sure whatever ffmpeg you are using was built with vaapi. 

Assuming yes, you'll have to try the 01.org site given my other suggestion was a total failure. Or have you done all that yet? Still hoping we can find a way. I am not really a gui guy, I have managed scores of linux machines for a long long time, but they were always headless!

Now I'm on 18.10, and using the procedure from intel.

Then....

home-server@home-server:~/gmmlib$ ffmpeg -hwaccels

ffmpeg version 4.0.2-2 Copyright © 2000-2018 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 8 (Ubuntu 8.2.0-7ubuntu1)
  configuration: --prefix=/usr --extra-version=2 --toolchain=hardened --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --incdir=/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu --arch=amd64 --enable-gpl --disable-stripping --enable-avresample --disable-filter=resample --enable-avisynth --enable-gnutls --enable-ladspa --enable-libaom --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libcdio --enable-libcodec2 --enable-libflite --enable-libfontconfig --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libjack --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libmysofa --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopenmpt --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse --enable-librsvg --enable-librubberband --enable-libshine --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libssh --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx265 --enable-libxml2 --enable-libxvid --enable-libzmq --enable-libzvbi --enable-lv2 --enable-omx --enable-openal --enable-opengl --enable-sdl2 --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libdrm --enable-libiec61883 --enable-chromaprint --enable-frei0r --enable-libopencv --enable-libx264 --enable-shared
  libavutil      56. 14.100 / 56. 14.100
  libavcodec     58. 18.100 / 58. 18.100
  libavformat    58. 12.100 / 58. 12.100
  libavdevice    58.  3.100 / 58.  3.100
  libavfilter     7. 16.100 /  7. 16.100
  libavresample   4.  0.  0 /  4.  0.  0
  libswscale      5.  1.100 /  5.  1.100
  libswresample   3.  1.100 /  3.  1.100
  libpostproc    55.  1.100 / 55.  1.100
Hardware acceleration methods:
vdpau
vaapi
drm

and about the intel drivers:

https://01.org/linuxmedia

https://github.com/intel/media-driver/

First step:

+Build and install libva master: no problem

git clone https://github.com/intel/libva

cd libva

./autogen.sh

./configure

time make -j$(nproc) VERBOSE=1

sudo make -j$(nproc) install

But I have a problem with the secon steep:

+ Build and install gmmlib master

Building
  1. Get gmmlib repo

|- gmmlib

2. Change it to root directory

$ cd gmmlib

3. $ mkdir build && cd build

4. cmake [-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE= Release | Debug | ReleaseInternal] [-DARCH= 64 | 32] ..

5. $ make -j8 ( Also performs compile time ULT)

But..... (I do something wrong):

home-server@home-server:/gmmlib/build$ cmake [-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE= Release | Debug | ReleaseInternal] [-DARCH= 64 | 32] ..
CMake Error: The source directory "/gmmlib/build/Release" does not exist.
Specify --help for usage, or press the help button on the CMake GUI.
Debug: orden no encontrada
32]: orden no encontrada
ReleaseInternal]: orden no encontrada

Edited by juancarlos.castro

LeidenSpain
Hi guys
TOTAL DISASTER

After following the whole Intel procedure, now I do not even work vainfo

home-server@home-server:~/Vídeos$ vainfo

libva info: VA-API version 1.4.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/local/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit

And..... it's normal, I have read again and put this

Supported Platforms

BDW (Broadwell)

SKL (Skylake)

BXT (Broxton) / APL (Apollo Lake)

KBL (Kaby Lake)

CFL (Coffee Lake)

CNL (Cannonlake)

ICL (Ice Lake)

OK, Gemini Lake it's not supported.

But.... the official i965 driver

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/2018q1-intel-graphics-stack-recipe

This release was validated with the following hardware, and part of the test results are published here

1. Coffee Lake
Bios: Development Bios
Platform: Intel Development Platform
Processor: Intel @ 2.80GHz 2. Gemini Lake
Bios: Development Bios
Platform: Intel Development Platform
Processor: Intel @ 1.10GHz 3. Kaby Lake
Bios: 5.12
Platform: MSI Cubi2
Processor: Intel Core i7-7500U @ 2.7GHz

SUPPORTED HARDWARE
  • 8th Generation Intel® Core™ processors with Intel® HD Graphics - Coffee Lake
  • 7th Generation Intel® Core™ processors with Intel® HD Graphics - Kaby Lake
  • 6th Generation Intel® Core™ processors with Intel® HD Graphics - Skylake
  • 5th Generation Intel® Core™ processors with Intel® HD Graphics - Broadwell
  • 4th Generation Intel® Core™ processors with Intel® HD Graphics - Haswell
  • 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ processors with Intel® HD Graphics - Ivy Bridge
  • 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ processors with Intel® HD Graphics - Sandy Bridge
  • Intel® Celeron® Processors with Intel® HD Graphics - Gemini Lake
  • Intel® Celeron® Processors with Intel® HD Graphics - Apollo Lake
  • Intel® Celeron® Processors with Intel® HD Graphics - Braswell
  • Intel® Celeron® Processors with Intel® HD Graphics - Bay Trail
  • Intel® Atom™ N450 with Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 (Pine Trail)

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/2018q1-intel-graphics-stack-recipe

since version 1.8.3 support:

Version 1.8.3 - 28.Jun.2017   * Add support for Gemini Lake (aka. GLK)   - Decoding: H.264/MPEG-2/VC-1/JPEG/VP8/HEVC/HEVC 10-bit/VP9/VP9 10-bit   - Encoding: H.264/MPEG-2/JPEG/VP8/VP9/HEVC/HEVC 10-bit/AVC low power CQP mode   - VPP: CSC/scaling/NoiseReduction/Deinterlacing{Bob, MotionAdaptive, MotionCompensated}/ColorBalance/STD   * Improve the quality of the HEVC encoder on SKL+ for CQP and CBR mode   * Add support for HEVC VBR mode on SKL+   * Set the quality range for HEVC / AVC encoder to 7   * Fix VP9 encoding quality issue on KBL   * Fix build issue on Android   * Fix the wrong order for AUD NAL unit in AVC encoder   * Fix the condition of enabling H.264 MB rate control   * Fix the memory leak issue in JPEG decoding

I start to think that Linux does not consider the UHD600 as Gemini Lake.

Hi guys, please take this to a separate topic. There are a lot of people being notified about every response here. I would like to keep this on topic to emby support for Ubuntu. Thanks.

• Like 1

sfatula

Sounds reasonable, some forums allow moderators to move stuff and open new threads, if you can, please do, otherwise, I will await for JuanCarlos to open thread to discuss. Sorry to all!

• Like 1

LeidenSpain

Hi guys, please take this to a separate topic. There are a lot of people being notified about every response here. I would like to keep this on topic to emby support for Ubuntu. Thanks.

It's true. sorry,

finally it's not an emby problem, it's in my configuration

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... Can I search for old posts of me here? Kkkk I'll be easy to.explain...

I would just try installing it and then let us know what issues you have. Thanks.

Hi, 

I've just fresh installed emby on ubuntu 18.04 but I cant read any folder in my user home folder even though I have added my user to the emby group (also tried adding emby to my user's group) and permissions are 755 anyway so all users should have read permission on my home folder and subfolders.

When I try to navigate to my user's home folder the box border turns red and the path disappears.

Interestingly, emby can navigate and add another user's folder (a user I created for ftp, also with 755). I'm not sure what's going on here. I do have a couple of network folders connected via sshfs inside my home, but emby stops before that.

Hi, 

I've just fresh installed emby on ubuntu 18.04 but I cant read any folder in my user home folder even though I have added my user to the emby group (also tried adding emby to my user's group) and permissions are 755 anyway so all users should have read permission on my home folder and subfolders.

When I try to navigate to my user's home folder the box border turns red and the path disappears.

Interestingly, emby can navigate and add another user's folder (a user I created for ftp, also with 755). I'm not sure what's going on here. I do have a couple of network folders connected via sshfs inside my home, but emby stops before that.

Hi, can you try again and attach the emby server log? This will almost assuredly be permissions related. Thanks.

Hi, can you try again and attach the emby server log? This will almost assuredly be permissions related. Thanks.

Yes definitely it's a permission issue. 

The relevant (I think) portion of the log is below. 

I have a remote folder mounted via sshfs and linked to the emby:emby user (using sshfs -o uid=997,gid=996 corresponding to emby:emby). I can regularly access the folder while logged in from my user, and read all the contents. another example: virtualbox can use it as shared folder and read/write on it.

the log below refers to the error I get when trying to mount the folder /home/emby/muslib but I get the same exact error when trying with my user's home folder, or using default sshfs permissions, or linking the mounted folder to my user. I have been trying for a while. 

As I mentioned, the emby user belongs to my user's group (and viceversa I think). No other folder in my home is mentioned in the logs.

If I unmount sshfs I can regularly load the (empty) folder in the library.

*** Error Report ***

Version: 3.6.0.76

Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb

Operating system: Unix 4.15.0.42

64-Bit OS: True

64-Bit Process: True

User Interactive: True

Processor count: 8

Program data path: /var/lib/emby

Application directory: /opt/emby-server/system

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/home/emby/muslib' is denied. ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerator`1.CreateDirectoryHandle(String path, Boolean ignoreNotFound)

at System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerator`1..ctor(String directory, EnumerationOptions options)

at System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerable`1..ctor(String directory, FindTransform transform, EnumerationOptions options)

at System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerableFactory.FileSystemInfos(String directory, String expression, EnumerationOptions options)

at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.InternalEnumerateInfos(String path, String searchPattern, SearchTarget searchTarget, EnumerationOptions options)

at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.EnumerateFileSystemInfos(String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)

at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.GetFileSystemEntries(String path, Boolean recursive)

at MediaBrowser.Api.EnvironmentService.GetFileSystemEntries(GetDirectoryContents request)

at MediaBrowser.Api.EnvironmentService.Get(GetDirectoryContents request)

at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceExecGeneral.Execute(Type serviceType, IRequest request, Object instance, Object requestDto, String requestName)

at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceController.Execute(HttpListenerHost appHost, Object requestDto, IRequest req)

at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, ILogger logger, String operationName, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, String urlString, String host, String localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

Source: System.IO.FileSystem

TargetSite: IntPtr CreateDirectoryHandle(System.String, Boolean)

at System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerator`1.CreateDirectoryHandle(String path, Boolean ignoreNotFound)

at System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerator`1..ctor(String directory, EnumerationOptions options)

at System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerable`1..ctor(String directory, FindTransform transform, EnumerationOptions options)

at System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerableFactory.FileSystemInfos(String directory, String expression, EnumerationOptions options)

at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.InternalEnumerateInfos(String path, String searchPattern, SearchTarget searchTarget, EnumerationOptions options)

at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.EnumerateFileSystemInfos(String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)

at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.GetFileSystemEntries(String path, Boolean recursive)

at MediaBrowser.Api.EnvironmentService.GetFileSystemEntries(GetDirectoryContents request)

at MediaBrowser.Api.EnvironmentService.Get(GetDirectoryContents request)

at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceExecGeneral.Execute(Type serviceType, IRequest request, Object instance, Object requestDto, String requestName)

at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceController.Execute(HttpListenerHost appHost, Object requestDto, IRequest req)

at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, ILogger logger, String operationName, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, String urlString, String host, String localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

InnerException: System.IO.IOException: Permission denied

Source:

TargetSite: 

Edited by mkln

• 3 weeks later...
Droidguy

Hi everyone,

I came across this forum whilst desperately searching for a solution for my performance issue.

The setup: latest Emby server running on Ubuntu Desktop 18.04 (Acer laptop i5-3337U 2-core 4-thread 1.8/2.7Ghz, Nvidia 720M,  8GB DDR3, 128GB internal SSD, 1TB USB 3.0 attached storage), a Fritz!Box 7490 router and a Samsung 7 series UHD TV (2018). My movies are stored on that external USB 3.0 drive.

The problem: most of my movies are (F)HD (AVI and MKV) with file sizes starting at 15G. When trying to stream them the TV stops the playback every few seconds and shows a loading icon. Everything works fine with low-quality small files.

What I have tried to locate the bottleneck:

• Network check: router <-> TV WiFi link reported at around 140 Mbps, router <-> laptop at around 70. Also tried to use gigabit LAN instead of WiFi for the laptop, nothing changed 
  • Disk check: ran benchmarks for the USB drive using different sample sizes, median read speed is around 200 MB/s at around 5ms access time. Tried moving some movies to internal SSD, no changes. Also tried to switch external drive FS between ext4 and NTFS, no changes
  • Laptop performance check: ran ubuntu-drivers autoinstall to make sure everything is there and up to date. According to top output, the emby server only uses like 2% CPU while streaming. About 70% RAM is free.

I have no ideas left what to check to find and fix the bottleneck, any help is greatly appreciated. 

P.S. I had a similar problem when I tried to use NAS on the Fritz!Box directly, however the bottleneck was obviously the router itself: very high CPU temp/load and nearly 100% RAM usage, it's not designed for that kind of workloads and this is the reason I went for the laptop solution.

Droidguy

Hi, are you using our Samsung app, or DLNA?

I just press "source" and select my emby server (the TV in question is a UE65NU7409), so that should be DLNA.

Edit: it seems this app is not available for my device anyway

Edit#2: when I go to the Emby page via Chrome from a Windows machine on the same network, I can watch everything without any issues. Stil trying to figure out what's going on with that TV.

UPDATE   this time around I did reboot the server machine after switching to wired LAN, it seems the problem is gone now. My initial bandwidth usage calculations appear to be wrong. To everyone in a similar situation I can only say: it is not a good idea to have both the server and the TV on WiFi when you want to play FHD+ content.

Edited by Droidguy

Hi, 

yeah same here, i have to give the whole /home/user/ folder 777 so emby can find it - i'm using the server for myself and it doesn't bother me, but it isn't secure either.

hooray4me

If your emby "service account" is named emby, then you should be able to use 755 and just recurse the folder structure you want emby to have access to. The only real "user" that will be accessing and service media to the server is the emby service account.

chown -R emby:emby /home/user/

• 1 month later...
hooray4me

transcoding.logI'm having an issue with hardware transcoding. It seems to be failing back to software transcoding, even though it supported VAAPI hardware transcoding in the past... any ideas? Transcoding log attached.

@@softworkz

5c6230d05b5ed_1.jpg

5c6230dcedbcc_2.jpg

Edited by Luke