Ubuntu

Luke

That's your HD Homerun model. What version of the Roku app are you running?

I just plulled the lastest build, rebooted and it seems to be working now....

• 3 weeks later...
lordvader

Um...

I'm on Ubuntu 16.04. I was running a 3.3 (I think) version of emby. I just realised that the repositories are not longer being updated, do I downloaded the latest version (3.5.x), and installed it via apt.

When connecting to emby, I was greeted with the "first run" wizard!

So I've basically lost my database ... Would there have been a backup created somewhere, as this is NOT what I expected from an upgrade ...

• 1 month later...
LeidenSpain

Hi
I'm using emby 3.5.3.0 and Lubuntu 18.04.1 LTS over an Intel N4100 (GPU UHD600). This chip has hardware transcodification-

First I used emby with windows and IntelQuickSync and I saw how the use of the GPU increased.
But now I to use ubuntu, and I can not use transcoding with emby (but if it is used in the video player).

This is my info

home-server@home-server:~$ vainfo

libva info: VA-API version 1.4.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_1
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 1.4 (libva 2.1.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver for Intel® Gemini Lake - 2.1.0
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh      : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh      : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264StereoHigh         : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264StereoHigh         : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileVC1Simple              : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Main                : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileNone                   : VAEntrypointVideoProc
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           : VAEntrypointEncPicture
      VAProfileVP8Version0_3          : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVP8Version0_3          : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain10             : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain10             : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileVP9Profile0            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVP9Profile0            : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileVP9Profile2            : VAEntrypointVLD

home-server@home-server:~$ ffmpeg -version

ffmpeg version 4.0.3-1~18.04.york0 Copyright © 2000-2018 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 7 (Ubuntu 7.3.0-27ubuntu1~18.04)
configuration: --prefix=/usr --extra-version='1~18.04.york0' --toolchain=hardened --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --incdir=/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu --arch=amd64 --enable-gpl --disable-stripping --enable-avresample --disable-filter=resample --enable-avisynth --enable-gnutls --enable-ladspa --enable-libaom --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libcdio --enable-libcodec2 --enable-libflite --enable-libfontconfig --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libjack --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libmysofa --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopenmpt --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse --enable-librsvg --enable-librubberband --enable-libshine --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libssh --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx265 --enable-libxml2 --enable-libxvid --enable-libzmq --enable-libzvbi --enable-lv2 --enable-omx --enable-openal --enable-opengl --enable-sdl2 --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libdrm --enable-libiec61883 --enable-chromaprint --enable-frei0r --enable-libopencv --enable-libx264 --enable-shared
libavutil      56. 14.100 / 56. 14.100
libavcodec     58. 18.100 / 58. 18.100
libavformat    58. 12.100 / 58. 12.100
libavdevice    58.  3.100 / 58.  3.100
libavfilter     7. 16.100 /  7. 16.100
libavresample   4.  0.  0 /  4.  0.  0
libswscale      5.  1.100 /  5.  1.100
libswresample   3.  1.100 /  3.  1.100
libpostproc    55.  1.100 / 55.  1.100

5beb10430d07b_Sinttulo.jpg

And now playing a film

5beb10b95417d_film.jpg

I have ABSOLUTELY tried everything I found online, and it does not work.
I have come to the conclusion that it is emby who does not use transcoding correctly.

I have not found the log of ffmpeg

PLEASE, IT'S VERY IMPORTANT

Regards

LeidenSpain

Did you add emby to the video group?

Yes, I have followed this tutorial:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/48588-confirmed-linux-intel-quick-sync-transcoding/

12. Add the emby service account to the video group

sudo usermod -a -G video emby
13. restart the emby-server service
sudo service emby-server restart

And  try this:

1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonathonf/ffmpeg-3

2. sudo apt-get update && sudo apt install ffmpeg libav-tools x264 x265
3. sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

But using  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonathonf/ffmpeg-4

home-server@home-server:~$ sudo apt-cache policy ffmpeg

ffmpeg:
  Instalados: 7:4.0.3-1~18.04.york0
  Candidato:  7:4.0.3-1~18.04.york0
  Tabla de versión:
 *** 7:4.0.3-1~18.04.york0 500
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/jonathonf/ffmpeg-4/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     7:3.4.4-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 500
        500 http://es.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/universe amd64 Packages
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security/universe amd64 Packages
     7:3.4.2-2 500
        500 http://es.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe amd64 Packages

but in this tutorial, must used "path to ffmpeg" and now this option it's not enabled

regards

Edited by juancarlos.castro

sfatula

Works for me, so, it can work. On the transcoding screen, did you pick VAAPI or Intel Quick Sync? VA API is the correct choice. 

• Like 1

LeidenSpain

Works for me, so, it can work. On the transcoding screen, did you pick VAAPI or Intel Quick Sync? VA API is the correct choice. 

Hi,

In Ubuntu I use the VA API option, with all the default options.

What system do you have?

sfatula

I am using a NUC7i7CNKE and xubuntu 18.04.1. So, if you type the command:

groups emby

You see video listed? I guess so, if I read your comment correctly, the video player uses it.

I am using the ubuntu ffmpeg, perhaps you have tried that instead of your later version? ubuntu uses 3.4.4, installed using apt without any third party ppa. 

That NUC has a Intel 620 gpu.

It appears you have many newer versions not found by default on ubuntu. For example, your vainfo shows VA-API version 1.4.0, mine on 18.04.1 shows 1.1.0. 

Edited by sfatula
  • Like 1

LeidenSpain

I am using a NUC7i7CNKE and xubuntu 18.04.1. So, if you type the command:

groups emby

You see video listed? I guess so, if I read your comment correctly, the video player uses it.

I am using the ubuntu ffmpeg, perhaps you have tried that instead of your later version? ubuntu uses 3.4.4, installed using apt without any third party ppa. 

That NUC has a Intel 620 gpu.

I don't know

home-server@home-server:~$ groups emby
  emby : emby video

Is it correct???
5beb4fc53108d_local.jpg

I must used a lot of diferents software, to try to find a solution
My actual version is this:

home-server@home-server:~$ ffmpeg -version

ffmpeg version 4.0.3-1~18.04.york0 Copyright © 2000-2018 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 7 (Ubuntu 7.3.0-27ubuntu1~18.04)
configuration: --prefix=/usr --extra-version='1~18.04.york0' --toolchain=hardened --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --incdir=/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu --arch=amd64 --enable-gpl --disable-stripping --enable-avresample --disable-filter=resample --enable-avisynth --enable-gnutls --enable-ladspa --enable-libaom --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libcdio --enable-libcodec2 --enable-libflite --enable-libfontconfig --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libjack --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libmysofa --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopenmpt --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse --enable-librsvg --enable-librubberband --enable-libshine --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libssh --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx265 --enable-libxml2 --enable-libxvid --enable-libzmq --enable-libzvbi --enable-lv2 --enable-omx --enable-openal --enable-opengl --enable-sdl2 --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libdrm --enable-libiec61883 --enable-chromaprint --enable-frei0r --enable-libopencv --enable-libx264 --enable-shared
libavutil      56. 14.100 / 56. 14.100
libavcodec     58. 18.100 / 58. 18.100
libavformat    58. 12.100 / 58. 12.100
libavdevice    58.  3.100 / 58.  3.100
libavfilter     7. 16.100 /  7. 16.100
libavresample   4.  0.  0 /  4.  0.  0
libswscale      5.  1.100 /  5.  1.100
libswresample   3.  1.100 /  3.  1.100
libpostproc    55.  1.100 / 55.  1.100

sfatula

Yeah, I see you are on V4 of ffmpeg, I was merely wondering if it worked without any non ubuntu ffmpeg installed, especially since mine does. The only thing I did was add video group to emby user, which you did. 

The movie you are playing that appears to not be using VA-API, what codec is the video? I did not see it (could have missed it) in your screen captures.

A useful command for your ffmpeg is this:

ffmpeg  -hide_banner -encoders | grep vaapi

Mine shows:

V..... h264_vaapi           H.264/AVC (VAAPI) (codec h264) 
 V..... hevc_vaapi           H.265/HEVC (VAAPI) (codec hevc)
 V..... mjpeg_vaapi          MJPEG (VAAPI) (codec mjpeg)
 V..... mpeg2_vaapi          MPEG-2 (VAAPI) (codec mpeg2video)
 V..... vp8_vaapi            VP8 (VAAPI) (codec vp8)
 V..... vp9_vaapi            VP9 (VAAPI) (codec vp9)

On your post 1283, I am confused (which isn't hard to do). The second set of screen captures right after where you say "And now playing a film".....

What is that supposed to represent? I don't see any ffmpeg there, just mpv, and, therefore it's not fair to compare that with emby which is using ffmpeg. i.e., I don't think that means it's embys fault. This is comparing apples to oranges. 

Edited by sfatula
  • Like 1

LeidenSpain

Yeah, I see you are on V4 of ffmpeg, I was merely wondering if it worked without any non ubuntu ffmpeg installed, especially since mine does. The only thing I did was add video group to emby user, which you did. 

The movie you are playing that appears to not be using VA-API, what codec is the video? I did not see it (could have missed it) in your screen captures.

A useful command for your ffmpeg is this:

ffmpeg  -hide_banner -encoders | grep vaapi

Mine shows:

V..... h264_vaapi           H.264/AVC (VAAPI) (codec h264) 
 V..... hevc_vaapi           H.265/HEVC (VAAPI) (codec hevc)
 V..... mjpeg_vaapi          MJPEG (VAAPI) (codec mjpeg)
 V..... mpeg2_vaapi          MPEG-2 (VAAPI) (codec mpeg2video)
 V..... vp8_vaapi            VP8 (VAAPI) (codec vp8)
 V..... vp9_vaapi            VP9 (VAAPI) (codec vp9)

I have tried several videos:

5beb55f5b5f00_Captura.jpg

This don't use the transcoding

5beb573c05958_Captura.jpg

CPU transcoding

5beb57dfa1567_Captura.jpg

CPU transcoding

I'm using the chome to see the videos.

home-server@home-server:~$ ffmpeg  -hide_banner -encoders | grep vaapi

V..... h264_vaapi           H.264/AVC (VAAPI) (codec h264)
 V..... hevc_vaapi           H.265/HEVC (VAAPI) (codec hevc)
 V..... mjpeg_vaapi          MJPEG (VAAPI) (codec mjpeg)
 V..... mpeg2_vaapi          MPEG-2 (VAAPI) (codec mpeg2video)
 V..... vp8_vaapi            VP8 (VAAPI) (codec vp8)
 V..... vp9_vaapi            VP9 (VAAPI) (codec vp9)

The problem is, if I activate hardware acceleration, it is disabled when transcoding starts.

sfatula

So, you are saying in emby, if you enable VA-API, click save, and go back later, it is not enabled? Did you change it via the web interface in a browser? I had the same behavior from an IOS client. Unless I mis-understand. 

If it helps, my transcoding screen looks like this:

post-348227-0-64041000-1542151143_thumb.png

• Like 1

If you enable vaapi and it fails, the server will automatically fallback to CPU. However, the 3.5 release has a defect that it also disables it in settings when this happens. This is resolved for the next release. Thanks.

• Like 1

LeidenSpain

So, you are saying in emby, if you enable VA-API, click save, and go back later, it is not enabled? Did you change it via the web interface in a browser? I had the same behavior from an IOS client. Unless I mis-understand. 

If it helps, my transcoding screen looks like this:

Hi,

It's not exactly the situation:

I enable the VA API transcodification, and it remanins on until emby try to transcodificate.

This is my transcoding options

5bec628c8d1fd_Sinttulo.jpg

LeidenSpain

If you enable vaapi and it fails, the server will automatically fallback to CPU. However, the 3.5 release has a defect that it also disables it in settings when this happens. This is resolved for the next release. Thanks.

OK thanks
I will try to install the latest beta

sfatula

Hi,

It's not exactly the situation:

I enable the VA API transcodification, and it remanins on until emby try to transcodificate.

This is my transcoding options

5bec628c8d1fd_Sinttulo.jpg

So, that would indicate that it is failing to run hardware transcoding. 

I suspect your problem is all of the non standard versions of your packages. This becomes a nightmare to sort out as each of those can use other non standard packages, etc. 

• Like 1

LeidenSpain

So, that would indicate that it is failing to run hardware transcoding. 

I suspect your problem is all of the non standard versions of your packages. This becomes a nightmare to sort out as each of those can use other non standard packages, etc. 

yes, my system may be is dirty, after I installed everything I found to make the transcoding work
Now I am away from home, when I return I will reinstall everything from 0.

I tested with the latest beta, Now the hardware option is not disabled, but I do not notice any difference in performance
ON
5bec6aa8861a3_on1.jpg
5bec6b029c078_on2.jpg

OFF
5bec6b12bda7c_off1.png
5bec6b1f5a485_off2.jpg

What do you think is the best way???? (drivers developer, ffmpeg version, etc...)

sfatula

Yes, since you were having hardware transcoding disabled, and, Luke said if hardware transcoding fails, then, it disabled it, it makes sense that the Beta would do nothing other than leave your setting on. To me, it was better that it disabled it as then you knew that hardware transcoding was indeed broken. Though, confusing. 

I tend to keep everything as ubuntu versions, they have done the testing and sorting out of what works with what, etc. If I have a new package and that package isn't in the ubuntu repos, I don't mind adding a ppa for it, but, for everything already in the ubuntu repositories, I use those. They may not be latest and greatest, but they are tested somewhat. 

• Like 1

LeidenSpain

Yes, since you were having hardware transcoding disabled, and, Luke said if hardware transcoding fails, then, it disabled it, it makes sense that the Beta would do nothing other than leave your setting on. To me, it was better that it disabled it as then you knew that hardware transcoding was indeed broken. Though, confusing. 

I tend to keep everything as ubuntu versions, they have done the testing and sorting out of what works with what, etc. If I have a new package and that package isn't in the ubuntu repos, I don't mind adding a ppa for it, but, for everything already in the ubuntu repositories, I use those. They may not be latest and greatest, but they are tested somewhat. 

OK thanks

When I return to home I will install Lubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, and I will start all the tests again from 0 (better with the emby release or the beta version?)

Regards

sfatula

I would not use the Beta myself, up to you, I am just saying it works fine on xubuntu 18.04.1 for me, and it worked first try. Twice. I had an old machine I had put Emby on and ran for a while, recently got a new machine, installed the OS, everything, and Emby, and it worked also. 

Now, it could be that your older machine has a bug with VA-API (not emby, the driver), no idea. But I am very skeptical that the problem, whatever it is, resides in Emby is what I am trying to say. 

Edited by sfatula
  • Like 1

To me, it was better that it disabled it as then you knew that hardware transcoding was indeed broken. Though, confusing. 

That's not a true statement because sometimes the hardware encoders or decoders will have problems with a specific file, but may still be fine for others.

• Like 1

sfatula

Well, it is a true statement, as it is prefixed by "To me".  :)

That doesn't mean I am right of course. But given your example, I would tend to side with you now!

• Like 1

LeidenSpain
my idea is to use transcoding by gpu, and I think as my case, there will be more people with the same configuration (ubuntu with intel UHD).

Therefore, it would be helpful for everyone to find out the source of the problem.

Tomorrow I hope to be at home, from that point I hope to be able to do all the tests that are considered necessary.

regards

• Like 1