Ubuntu

Luke

avalon65

I have emby , on my linux pc, and have emby installed on my FreeNAS server.  The ip address of emby on my desktop is that which FreeNAS assigned.

I have my media files mounted on my linux pc under /mnt/path to media/files

When I try to add a folder for media files, I click on the / and that gives a list of folders. When I select mnt, there is nothing there. Is the /mnt in emby the same as /mnt on my linux pc or is it the network/FreeNAS /mnt. Which ever it is, the media files are showing under /mnt on both FreeNAS and linux pc.

Where is emby looking for the medial files.

Thanks

Update:

I didn't realise and not remembered that I had add the media files into emby storage on my FreeNAS machine.

Embey now sees the said files and they are now added into emby.

Edited by avalon65

• 2 weeks later...
jds_emby

As far as I can tell, this is the best place to post my question, but if I am wrong, would be happy to move it.

I recently installed Emby on my Ubuntu 18.04 server.  It looks beautiful, and fixes my problems transcoding in

Plex.  However, it is extremely unstable, and crashes constantly.  Sometimes the crash is provoked reproducibly,

like when it was scanning either my Books folder or my Personal Photos and Videos folder.  However, I removed

those libraries, and it still crashes reproducibly.  For example, I would start playing a video, and the emby server

would crash.  However, if the server were restarted, it would then play that video fine.  One thing that might

be reproducible is accessing the server with the emby app on the Amazon Fire stick.  If I opened the library

and browsed through the videoes alphabetically, clicking on a letter would crash the server.  This even creates

problems with the whole fire stick, because the emby error message would stay on the screen.  I could also

make it crash reproducibly by going to my Movies library, and clicking on a letter on the right side of the browser

app.

That would give:

$ sudo systemctl status emby-server
● emby-server.service - Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device.
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: signal) since Sat 2019-03-02 15:34:04 CST; 1min 20s ago
  Process: 31054 ExecStart=/opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server (code=killed, signal=SEGV)
 Main PID: 31054 (code=killed, signal=SEGV)

Mar 02 15:34:00 jdsden emby-server[31054]: Info App: SyncRepository Initialize taking write lock
Mar 02 15:34:00 jdsden emby-server[31054]: Info App: SyncRepository Initialize write lock taken
Mar 02 15:34:00 jdsden emby-server[31054]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Sync.SyncManagerEntryPoint. Duration: 0.0076808 seconds
Mar 02 15:34:00 jdsden emby-server[31054]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Sync.SyncNotificationEntryPoint
Mar 02 15:34:00 jdsden emby-server[31054]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Sync.SyncNotificationEntryPoint. Duration: 0.0024432 seconds
Mar 02 15:34:00 jdsden emby-server[31054]: Info App: Starting entry point EmbyServer.Windows.LoopUtilEntryPoint
Mar 02 15:34:00 jdsden emby-server[31054]: Info App: Entry point completed: EmbyServer.Windows.LoopUtilEntryPoint. Duration: 0.0004542 seconds
Mar 02 15:34:00 jdsden emby-server[31054]: Info App: All entry points have started
Mar 02 15:34:04 jdsden systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=11/SEGV
Mar 02 15:34:04 jdsden systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'signal'.

Since it solves the transcoding problem,

I really want to get it to work.  Also, because it is open source, I am much more inclined to use it instead of plex.

However, if it won't run reliably, it is not really tenable.  I have the logs from one the crashes, and can post.

However, I could not be sure if they would reveal any information that should not be public.

In the meantime, here is some information that is certainly safe to post publicly:

NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="18.04.2 LTS (Bionic Beaver)"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS"
VERSION_ID="18.04"
HOME_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://help.ubuntu.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-policy"
VERSION_CODENAME=bionic
UBUNTU_CODENAME=bionic

2019-03-02 14:49:27.747 Info Main: Application path: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll2019-03-02 14:49:27.856 Info Main: Emby	Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb	Operating system: Unix 4.15.0.45	64-Bit OS: True	64-Bit Process: True	User Interactive: True	Processor count: 12	Program data path: /var/lib/emby	Application directory: /opt/emby-server/system2019-03-02 14:49:27.887 Info App: Application version: 4.0.2.0

Here are the very few relevant lines from syslog:

Mar  2 13:56:42 jdsden systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=11/SEGV
Mar  2 13:56:42 jdsden systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'signal'.

The media files are not accessed through a network, but rather are on the server.

I have found one post that is similar, but has been inactive for many months:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/60122-emby-server-segfaulting-on-1604-lts/page-3

Some of those folks had a problem with permissions, but I checked that, and it had no effect.

sfatula

Generally, you should post the complete log file, not just excerpts. There will be additional details and may be additional clues. Note, on Ubuntu 18.04.2 for us, never ever crashes (even with SMB) so it is going to be something specific to your machine or setup. We use it daily. 

Remember to check *all* file perms, not just your media library, but, metadata folders, .config folder for Emby, the user it rans as, etc. 

Edited by sfatula

jds_emby

Generally, you should post the complete log file, not just excerpts. There will be additional details and may be additional clues. Note, on Ubuntu 18.04.2 for us, never ever crashes (even with SMB) so it is going to be something specific to your machine or setup. We use it daily. 

Remember to check *all* file perms, not just your media library, but, metadata folders, .config folder for Emby, the user it rans as, etc. 

Thanks for the tip. I checked these directories from Path in the dashboard, and looked at those permissions.  I see that they are all owned by emby.  I had assumed that

they would be given ownership by my username, because that is how I installed it.  I was wrong, obviously/  I don't want to change the ownership of the media files, because

they are accessed by other software that also needs permission. I added emby as an agent to my username, then made sure that they had access by the following:

sudo usermod -a -G jay emby

chmod -R a+rx /media/virtual/Movies

EDIT: For the moment, at least, this is working. Is this a reasonable way?

Just in case, I have uploaded the log.  It still crashes with the above.

Log_emby.txt

Edited by jds_emby

hooray4me

Thanks for the tip. I checked these directories from Path in the dashboard, and looked at those permissions.  I see that they are all owned by emby.  I had assumed that

they would be given ownership by my username, because that is how I installed it.  I was wrong, obviously/  I don't want to change the ownership of the media files, because

they are accessed by other software that also needs permission. I added emby as an agent to my username, then made sure that they had access by the following:

sudo usermod -a -G jay emby

chmod -R a+rx /media/virtual/Movies

For the moment, at least, this is working. Is this a reasonable way?

Just in case, I have uploaded the log.

I run the same distro... since you don't want the USER "emby" to own the files, then as long as you grant read (write if you want to be able to delete) for the emby user to what ever group has those permissions then you should be good.

So if the owner of your media files is jay and the primary group for the media file is jay... and those permissions are recursive, then doing usermod -a -G jay emby was all you needed to do.

francoib

Hello,
for several versions already Emby is crashing almost every time I search for an item. This started when I upgraded the application, but I can't remember when, I thought the next version would solve the problem but I've updated the system several times since and the issue is still there. An extract of the log before the crash is attached. Thanks for your help, I can't figure this out...

Tur0k

Hello,

for several versions already Emby is crashing almost every time I search for an item. This started when I upgraded the application, but I can't remember when, I thought the next version would solve the problem but I've updated the system several times since and the issue is still there. An extract of the log before the crash is attached. Thanks for your help, I can't figure this out...

Specs on server?

Have you checked your log?

Might be better to start a new thread that has this information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

@@francoib, can you please attach the emby server log? Thanks !

francoib

Sorry, looks like I missed something attaching the file last time... I hope this time I'll got it right.

Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS

emby version: Version 4.0.2.0

Thanks a lot for your support

Françoisembyserverextract.log

Sorry, looks like I missed something attaching the file last time... I hope this time I'll got it right.

Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS

emby version: Version 4.0.2.0

Thanks a lot for your support

Françoisattachicon.gifembyserverextract.log

Please see here for a solution:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/69167-emby-server-4010-crashing-on-music-playback

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Tavarusj

Anybody install on a cloud based server?  Considering purchasing cloud server access on www.ionos.com.    What yall think?

weble

Anybody install on a cloud based server?  Considering purchasing cloud server access on www.ionos.com.    What yall think?

Would work fine as long as you didn't have to transcode much, as you have no hardware transcoding options. So as long as most of your clients can direct play your good to go. Where would you be storing your media?

• 2 weeks later...
LeidenSpain

Good morning,

I wanted to take up the problem of transcoding in ubuntu with intel hardware, but I just saw this.
5ca862590d2dc_Sinttulo.png

Does that mean that in version 3.x hasdware transcoding was for all users, but in 4.x is only for premiums?
Edited by juancarlos.castro

Good morning,

I wanted to take up the problem of transcoding in ubuntu with intel hardware, but I just saw this.
5ca862590d2dc_Sinttulo.png

Does that mean that in version 3.x hasdware transcoding was for all users, but in 4.x is only for premiums?

Hi, yes, please see here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-443-exciting-additions-coming-soon-in-emby-server-36/

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
nick114

hi guy i been trying to move some tv shows what emby have record to a never folder but it just keep saying that i am not the owner and it is saying that emby is the owner 

im running  Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS   i do not now a lot a bout Ubuntu as i all ways worked with windows  not Ubuntu

all so any ways to make the live tv faster as it take 20s to play i now it not a lot of time but i all my over live tv apps dues it in 2s even your android mobile app play the live tv in like 3s   i have been running this on the amazon fire tv stick gen2 and android box  

any help will be good

thanks from nick

post-338747-0-18569600-1556024310_thumb.png

post-338747-0-90404400-1556024324_thumb.png

Edited by nick114

hooray4me

I'm not sure how to do it from the GUI, but if you open up terminal and elevate your permissions... Terminal -> sudo -i

then enter the root password. From here you can change directory to the one you are trying to move folders to/from

the command to move a folder is mv /sourcefolder /destination

IE) mv /home/rob/movies/Gumbi /mnt/movies/Gumbi

What are you using for your source for live tv?

nick114

robrhedrick

thanks for the help but i will just like to unlock any thing to do with emby  as i can not add photo to any of the folders to do with emby

all so my live tv is a custom kit

i have 7 tv turner what running on tv mosaic  it is then sent to my emby sever as a m3u as i tried the plugin but lost all my recording as i want emby sever to do the recording not tv mosaic  all so i am all way recording so i now all of my 7 turner are set up right as tested with over apps 

it is all ways the emby tv apps what is not fast on live tv 

the phone app  work fast  never had a fault with that   

Edited by nick114

hooray4me

What is the brand of your tv tuners?

the real "owner" of the emby related directories needs to be the emby user and the emby group. Then this emby "service account" will be able to read and write to the data directory on behalf of all your emby users.

5cbf2e307dc46_20190423_102219.png

in a terminal window do the following command: sudo chown -R emby:emby /var/lib/emby-server

then restart your emby-server service. sudo service emby-server restart

enter your password when prompted. This should fix your image issue.

EODCrafter

A Lot of IPTV Services are Blocking Cloud installs cause of all the Re-Streaming Businesses ($ hungry People without hacking skills) used to re-stream their Streams...Check with Provider if you Plan on having IPTV.

Edited by EODCrafter

nick114

hi mate i have moved where my sever record it is not (/var/lib/emby)   i moved it to /home/jump/Documents/west/tv shows i changed the setting on the sever  bout 2 weeks a go so im moving videos in to the over files

first i put

sudo -i

sudo chown -R emby:emby /var/lib/emby-server

sudo service emby-server restart

2 time i put

sudo -i

studo clown -R emby:emby /home/jump/Documents/west/tv shows

sudo service emby-server restart

but no luck still all locked and will not let me cut the folders to move them or will not let me paste in them

i am all so getting this see photo and can not get rid of it at all lol  think i will go back to windows lol

post-338747-0-56755600-1556036429_thumb.png

Edited by nick114

hooray4me

What your are paths and library paths in your emby admin panel? What is the path to the movie/recording folder you want to move from and where you want to move to?

5cbf3cc578a73_20190423_112225.png

5cbf3cd9f3736_20190423_112407.png

nick114

hi mate

my recording  movies is

/home/jump/Documents/west/movies

and my recording tv shows are

/home/jump/Documents/west/tv shows

i will like to move any movies in to any over movie folders and what let me delete them as well as it is all locked so i can delete off the  emby dash sever but it will not delete from my pc as they are locked to embypost-338747-0-82485500-1556037970_thumb.pngpost-338747-0-04385400-1556037994_thumb.pngpost-338747-0-32908400-1556038006_thumb.png

Edited by nick114

hooray4me

When you use terminal to get root access, then the root user has the permission necessary to move files and folders.

so in terminal, elevate your access to root level by doing

sudo -i

then move the folders you want by doing:

mv /source/path /destination/path

so in your case if your old movies recording path was /home/jump/Documents/oldlocation/movies and your new movies path is /home/jump/Documents/west/movies... then your command to move all the movies would be:

mv -v /home/jump/Documents/oldlocation/movies/* /home/jump/Documents/west/movies

• Like 1

nick114

hi mate it worked it let me move them

but they are still locked but i think i can get around that now

but just asking is there any way to take the lock off or is  it to do with Ubuntu

thanks mate a++++++++++++++++++++

Edited by nick114