Ubuntu

Luke

Jdiesel

Anybody running Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS? I'm thinking of upgrading from 16.04 LTS once it is available and am curious of any potential issues that might arise 

mastrmind11

Anybody running Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS? I'm thinking of upgrading from 16.04 LTS once it is available and am curious of any potential issues that might arise 

I'm always wary of dist-upgrades because I run ZFSoL, and i've been bitten a couple times from that.  If you don't, then you should be gtg.  I've seen a few other posts in the Linux sub from people successfully running 18.04.  Out of curiosity, why do you want to upgrade?  Is there a certain new feature missing?

Jdiesel

I'm always wary of dist-upgrades because I run ZFSoL, and i've been bitten a couple times from that.  If you don't, then you should be gtg.  I've seen a few other posts in the Linux sub from people successfully running 18.04.  Out of curiosity, why do you want to upgrade?  Is there a certain new feature missing?

I run a hardware raid so I should be good on that front. Nothing missing specifically just that I tend to run the latest LTS. But you are right I should probably just leave a functioning system as is and don't mess with it.

• Like 1

How come arm64 support is gone? Wasn't it available with the old repo system? Tried force install of the armhf version but seems like that wont work

How come arm64 support is gone? Wasn't it available with the old repo system? Tried force install of the armhf version but seems like that wont work

Based on this: https://github.com/dotnet/core/issues/1497

It looks like we could start building and publishing arm64 packages. We'll look into it, thanks.

• Like 1

woenk

Running in a VM under KVM and upgraded from 17.10, absolutely no problems here.

Upgrading my KVM host though is an absolute desaster...

With a do-release-upgrade it shuts down evry 10-25 Minutes after a reboot without errors in the logs. A freash istall with 18.04 fails because of missing certificates for the network connection (?). Tried both server and Lubuntu..

So better have a backup...no backup no sympathy :D

zonknz

I am running 18.04 on AMD64. Emby build is the current release, not in docker. I am getting crashes around every 24 hours, but i am using a monit config to restore service.

Install monit, and add this to /etc/monit/monitrc prior to the includes section.

##############
check process emby-server matching emby-server
start program = "service emby-server start"
stop program = "service emby-server stop"
if failed host localhost port 8096 then restart
###############

Running in a VM under KVM and upgraded from 17.10, absolutely no problems here.

Upgrading my KVM host though is an absolute desaster...

With a do-release-upgrade it shuts down evry 10-25 Minutes after a reboot without errors in the logs. A freash istall with 18.04 fails because of missing certificates for the network connection (?). Tried both server and Lubuntu..

So better have a backup...no backup no sympathy :D

Does it reboot or is it still running but not working? My systemd service always said it was still fine but I couldn't access it or play anything after some time. Wanted to reinstall cleanly but as no arm64 packages are available yet I can't test that.

woenk

I am running 18.04 on AMD64. Emby build is the current release, not in docker. I am getting crashes around every 24 hours, but i am using a monit config to restore service.

Install monit, and add this to /etc/monit/monitrc prior to the includes section.

##############
check process emby-server matching emby-server
start program = "service emby-server start"
stop program = "service emby-server stop"
if failed host localhost port 8096 then restart
###############

Runs fine in my VM...did you upgrade or did you do a fresh install ?

Does it reboot or is it still running but not working? My systemd service always said it was still fine but I couldn't access it or play anything after some time. Wanted to reinstall cleanly but as no arm64 packages are available yet I can't test that.

Host simply stops and freezes, only a powercycle helps.

In my opinion way too many changes from 17.10.

First server I set up for a client took longer than expected, because with the basci installation you do not have the option to setup a LAMP server in one go.

It just configures the network and ssh.

And configuring netplan for the network took me also some time of googling and more time getting it right becuase somehow it did not like tabs instead of spaces..

And even if one disables IPv6 during the setup, the interfaces still get a link local, one still has to disable it in grub.

Another VM I upgraded started quirking after a few weeks of running for no apparent reason.

Yesterday Firefox crashed, could not click on any buttons ore use a menu over Spice, although according to the clock it was still running.

Nope...unless there is a feature you really need in 18.04, better stay where you are :D

Runs fine in my VM...did you upgrade or did you do a fresh install ?

Host simply stops and freezes, only a powercycle helps.

In my opinion way too many changes from 17.10.

First server I set up for a client took longer than expected, because with the basci installation you do not have the option to setup a LAMP server in one go.

It just configures the network and ssh.

And configuring netplan for the network took me also some time of googling and more time getting it right becuase somehow it did not like tabs instead of spaces..

And even if one disables IPv6 during the setup, the interfaces still get a link local, one still has to disable it in grub.

Another VM I upgraded started quirking after a few weeks of running for no apparent reason.

Yesterday Firefox crashed, could not click on any buttons ore use a menu over Spice, although according to the clock it was still running.

Nope...unless there is a feature you really need in 18.04, better stay where you are :D

Well it had issues on 16.04 anyway so I tried 18.04. It's no different. Maybe multiarch isn't the best way and arm64 packages will fix this, but I kinda doubt it. And the logs show nothing ordinary, which basically makes it impossible to report a bug. It just doesn't do anything after a while and stopping the systemd service takes ages.

/Edit: 3.5.0.0, no crashes so far. While the latest beta before crashed like hell. Let's see if this works

Edited by Kiina

• 3 weeks later...
hrc1079

Fresh install and can't even get this installed.  Keeps spitting out an error -

Resolving github.com (github.com)... 192.30.253.113, 192.30.253.112
Connecting to github.com (github.com)|192.30.253.113|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: https://github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com/25282228/341c9b76-9398-11e8-83e2-c150bf00623c?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC                                                                              -SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAIWNJYAX4CSVEH53A%2F20180806%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20180806T222234Z&X-Amz-Expires=300&X-Amz-Sign                                                                               ature=505817f79f42819105013529d54c7ad8b833e9017959329bb371c3dc94ea8602&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&actor_id=0&response-content-disposition=attachmen                                                                               t%3B%20filename%3Demby-server-deb_3.5.2.0_amd64.deb&response-content-type=application%2Foctet-stream [following]
--2018-08-06 22:22:34--  https://github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com/25282228/341c9b76-9398-11e8-83e2-c150bf00623c?X-Amz-Algo                                                                              rithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAIWNJYAX4CSVEH53A%2F20180806%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20180806T222234Z&X-Amz-Expires                                                                               =300&X-Amz-Signature=505817f79f42819105013529d54c7ad8b833e9017959329bb371c3dc94ea8602&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&actor_id=0&response-content-dispos                                                                               ition=attachment%3B%20filename%3Demby-server-deb_3.5.2.0_amd64.deb&response-content-type=application%2Foctet-stream
Resolving github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com (github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com)... 54.231.82.170
Connecting to github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com (github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com)|54.231.82.170|:44                                                                               3... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 53276062 (51M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘emby-server-deb_3.5.2.0_amd64.deb’

emby-server-deb_3.5.2.0_amd64.deb               100%[=====================================================================================================>]  50.81M  2.44MB/s    in 28s

2018-08-06 22:23:02 (1.81 MB/s) - ‘emby-server-deb_3.5.2.0_amd64.deb’ saved [53276062/53276062]

emby@EMBY01:~/downloads$ sudo dpkg -i emby-server-deb_3.5.2.0_amd64.deb
[sudo] password for emby:
Selecting previously unselected package emby-server.
(Reading database ... 54436 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack emby-server-deb_3.5.2.0_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking emby-server (3.5.2.0) ...
Setting up emby-server (3.5.2.0) ...
usermod: user emby is currently used by process 1739
dpkg: error processing package emby-server (--install):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 8
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu10) ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-19) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 emby-server
emby@EMBY01:~/downloads$

Not yet as we're focusing on other things. We're going as fast as we can. Thanks !

• 3 weeks later...
jamesflett
Hello, I am new to the forum and would like to know if anyone can help me or point me where I find the question below:

Can I run Emby on a VPS CPU: 6 core, 30 GB RAM, 2000 GB disk space? Could you run the system online and movies all in the same VPS?

Hello, I am new to the forum and would like to know if anyone can help me or point me where I find the question below:

Can I run Emby on a VPS CPU: 6 core, 30 GB RAM, 2000 GB disk space? Could you run the system online and movies all in the same VPS?

Hi, yes you should have no problem doing that.

sfatula

Just an FYI based on some of the comments about 18.04. I am running 18.04.1, and, have not had any issues at all. Mine is the worst case, it was upgraded from 16.04. So, just saying I have no problems with 18.04.1.

Thanks for the feedback. We try to design the packages so that we're not heavily disrupted by conditions in the environment but inevitably there are always some. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Since last week, Emby fails every application update and plugin update check:

Connection to https://api.github.com/repos/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases timed out at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsyncInternal(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod) at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsync(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod) at MediaBrowser.Common.Updates.GithubUpdater.CheckForUpdateResult(String organzation, String repository, Version minVersion, PackageVersionClass updateLevel, String assetFilename, String packageName, String targetFilename, TimeSpan cacheLength, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at Emby.Server.Implementations.ApplicationHost.CheckForApplicationUpdate(CancellationToken cancellationToken, IProgress`1 progress) at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.SystemUpdateTask.Execute(CancellationToken cancellationToken, IProgress`1 progress) at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.ExecuteInternal(TaskOptions options)

Looks like requests to our admin domain are timing out. Please make sure you don't have anything blocking access to mb3admin.com

emby.logI'm trying to setup the new docker version; I had the old one working fine until the new .net version came out.  I tried to do a update on the old one and it broke.  I'm now trying to get the new docker version working.

First the new version didn't detect my two hdhomerun devices, so I manually added one.  After I got the guide populated, I tried to watch a channel live from my browser, but only shows a spinning circle.  So I tried from my Roku with same result and finally comes up on the Roku "Playback error" There was an error processing the request, please try later....

Any ideas?   Thx.

Hi, what version of the Roku app are you running?

I have a HDHR-03-US (which I used with the old docker version) and the next gen one (it's in the attic, but it's connect I believe, which I updated to the latest firmware to see the hdhomerun premium tv channel list).   But since it didn't work after adding the older one manually, I tried adding the connect manually with same result.  I've had the connect connected to plex and works fine.

Edited by concord

That's your HD Homerun model. What version of the Roku app are you running?

Sorry about that, I wasn't quite awake :).   I have version 3.0 build 97.

I just added emby to my Apple4ktv and it just sits there when hitting play.

Also, as I mentioned above, in the browser it just brings up the busy/circle cursor.

Maybe there is something left over from the older non-.net docker version causing the issue.

Edited by concord