Top Picks support thread

chef

10 hours ago, TheGru said:

Anyway to hide what has already been viewed on the home screen everywhere BUT the top picks?

I don’t want to see the movies and tv shows I have already watched in other rows, but when this is enabled my top picks row looks strange as items are missing from the count and makes for an odd end user experience. 

thanks!

It looks like the "hide fully played content" is an option that covers the entire home screen, and can't be customized to an individual library row.

We could alter the watched state of the item so that it initially appears in the top picks row. 

However, once the item is watched it will disappear with the option enabled.

Edited by chef

11 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

both and different orders on both

yes to .nfo

May I have a log that includes when the update task was run? 

I may have fixed this issue.

2 hours ago, chef said:

It looks like the "hide fully played content" is an option that covers the entire home screen, and can't be customized to an individual library row.

We could alter the watched state of the item so that it initially appears in the top picks row. 

However, once the item is watched it will disappear with the option enabled.

Bummer, I keep watched items hidden as do most of my users. I enabled top picks for everyone and within a few hours started getting emails about Emby being broken because the top picks were missing numbers. Maybe you can discuss with the main Emby cooks, the ability to make the visibility option work on a per-row basis?

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, TheGru said:

Bummer, I keep watched items hidden as do most of my users. I enabled top picks for everyone and within a few hours started getting emails about Emby being broken because the top picks were missing numbers. Maybe you can discuss with the main Emby cooks, the ability to make the visibility option work on a per-row basis?

If I reset the watched state of the top picks item, then at least the users can see the full list to start with.

For now, until something else can be figured out, would that be a fair compromise?

The server admin does have the ability to uncheck that option  which seems to be server wide. 

PuffyToesToo

May I ask if the following would be possible at some point?

1 - Being able to add TV Series / Mini Series ?

2 - The ability to 'Add To Top Picks' via the breadcrumb menu option?

Thank you Chef

35 minutes ago, PuffyToesToo said:

May I ask if the following would be possible at some point?

1 - Being able to add TV Series / Mini Series ?

2 - The ability to 'Add To Top Picks' via the breadcrumb menu option?

Thank you Chef

1. Yes! 

2. Can I have a screen shot of the breadcrumb menu (my bad, not sure what it is 😀 )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PuffyToesToo said:

Oh that's great! 

Here is the breadcrumb menu options:

SS.png

🤔 ... Well... Yes, and no.

It is possible to write an intersection observer to force the option into that menu. But, there isn't a way (currently) in the API that I can think of to do it legitimately.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheesegeezer
21 minutes ago, chef said:

🤔 ... Well... Yes, and no.

It is possible to write an intersection observer to force the option into that menu. But, there isn't a way (currently) in the API that I can think of to do it legitimately.

Yup you can only write to web UI but no clients will show it. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chef said:

If I reset the watched state of the top picks item, then at least the users can see the full list to start with.

For now, until something else can be figured out, would that be a fair compromise?

The server admin does have the ability to uncheck that option  which seems to be server wide. 

Sounds reasonable enough for a workaround until the main devs consider making a modification to the base functionality! Thanks!

1 hour ago, TheGru said:

Sounds reasonable enough for a workaround until the main devs consider making a modification to the base functionality! Thanks!

thanks for understanding :) 

I've added this to the plugin, and should have a release shortly.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, chef said:

I don't know how your plugin works, but is there a reason you can't retrieve the items with a user-less query to avoid the watched filtering?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, roaku said:

I don't know how your plugin works, but is there a reason you can't retrieve the items with a user-less query to avoid the watched filtering?

I think I am

var baseItem = LibraryManager.GetItemById(spotlightItem.InternalId);

But, I think there is something else going on behind the scenes, where emby tags the top pick as watched if the library companion item was watched already.

As a note: the top pick item does have a new internalId and everything.

For example, if I add the movie "Top Gun" to Top Picks (forgive the irony)... 

The Top Pick item will be marked as watched  if the library item was previously watched by the user who viewing the pick from their account.

Changing accounts and viewing the Top Gun  (where the item was not played previously by the user) shows the top pick item as unwatched.

If a user resets the state (to unwatched)  from their account, their library version of Top Gun  will also change played states. 🙃

They are connected, most likely through versioning.

What seems to be happening now, is that if the sys admin has chosen to "hide watched items form latest media" on the home screen,  some users who have already watched certain titles won't see them in Top Picks.

I could feature request,  that the core add this option separately to each library that is shown on the home screen. 😬  That might take a while,  because everyone is busy with bigger fish to fry.

I wrote some code that will set the BaseItem  as 'un-played' for each user.... At least the Top Pick List will be visible until the user starts watching  items....

But, I will say... I don't like the idea of doing this. The idea of changing users watched state is not what I wanted to add to this plugin.

It's only three lines of code, but I'm not entirely sold on it 😶...  not sure.

Edited by chef

Bottles51

Me personally, I don't like the idea of watched status being altered. But of coarse this problem is not affecting me as I do not hide watched content from myself or other users.

• Agree 3

GrimReaper
2 hours ago, Bottles51 said:

Me personally, I don't like the idea of watched status being altered. But of coarse this problem is not affecting me as I do not hide watched content from myself or other users.

Watched statuses are definitely something that should not be changed arbitrarily by an external plugin or an app, and I sincerely don't fancy the idea of Top Picks doing so within my system. @chef, could you kindly make that an option, as just as @Bottles51, neither myself nor number of my users are hiding watched content? 

• Agree 3

Happy2Play

Since watched status are by providerid not library it can't be alter without core changes.

Just like the "Hide fully played content from latest media" is a global setting per user.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Since watched status are by providerid not library it can't be alter without core changes.

Just like the "Hide fully played content from latest media" is a global setting per user.

Exactly, it'd be system-wide status change and IMHO that is out of the scope of this plugin.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

A core change to have this setting be configurable on a row by row basis on the Home Screen would indeed be a better solution. 

for now I guess the plug-in can leave watched state alone and I’ll either disable hiding or disable the plug-in. 

thanks!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Happy2Play

Anyone else getting console error on confg page?

configurationpage?name=SpotlightConfigurationPageJS&v=4.7.8.0:567 

Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'DisplayTitle')
    at configurationpage?name=SpotlightConfigurationPageJS&v=4.7.8.0:567:227
    at Array.forEach (<anonymous>)
    at HTMLDivElement.<anonymous> (configurationpage?name=SpotlightConfigurationPageJS&v=4.7.8.0:564:27)
(anonymous) @ configurationpage?name=SpotlightConfigurationPageJS&v=4.7.8.0:567
(anonymous) @ configurationpage?name=SpotlightConfigurationPageJS&v=4.7.8.0:564
await in (anonymous) (async)
(anonymous) @ viewmanager.js?v=4.7.8.0:1
Promise.then (async)
onViewChange @ viewmanager.js?v=4.7.8.0:1
Promise.then (async)
Promise.then (async)
ViewManager.loadView @ viewmanager.js?v=4.7.8.0:1
(anonymous) @ approuter.js?v=4.7.8.0:1
Promise.then (async)
loadContentUrl @ approuter.js?v=4.7.8.0:1
onInitComplete @ approuter.js?v=4.7.8.0:1
initRoute @ approuter.js?v=4.7.8.0:1
Promise.then (async)
handleRoute @ approuter.js?v=4.7.8.0:1
page.dispatch @ page.js?v=4.7.8.0:1
page.replace @ page.js?v=4.7.8.0:1
page.start @ page.js?v=4.7.8.0:1
page @ page.js?v=4.7.8.0:1
Promise.then (async)
appRouter.start @ approuter.js?v=4.7.8.0:1
(anonymous) @ app.js?v=4.7.8.0:1
Promise.then (async)
onAppReady @ app.js?v=4.7.8.0:1
Promise.then (async)
start @ app.js?v=4.7.8.0:1

Happy2Play

Could be all the garbage I have on this test system but Executing Calculate user engagement is failing also.

2022-11-02 18:49:01.516 Debug TaskManager: Executing Calculate user engagement
2022-11-02 18:49:01.516 Info Server: http/1.1 Response 204 to ‌‍‍::1‌. Time: 1ms. http://‌‍‍localhost‌:8098/emby/ScheduledTasks/Running/db4942302c47d625bf08271b76a3ff7e?X-Emby-Client=Emby Web&X-Emby-Device-Name=Microsoft Edge Windows&X-Emby-Device-Id=824ddfe0-a8a4-4b4c-a444-32ba21e5af0a&X-Emby-Client-Version=4.7.8.0
2022-11-02 18:49:01.521 Error TaskManager: Error
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.7.8.0
	Command line: C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Stable\system\EmbyServer.dll
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.25231
	Framework: .NET 6.0.9
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: C:/Users/Media/Desktop/Stable/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 8
	Data path: C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Stable\programdata
	Application path: C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Stable\system
	System.NullReferenceException: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
	   at Emby.TopPicks.Engagement.<>c.<GetItems>b__15_0(BaseItem i)
	   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereArrayIterator`1.ToList()
	   at Emby.TopPicks.Engagement.GetItems(PluginConfiguration config)
	   at Emby.TopPicks.Engagement.CalculateEngagement()
	   at Emby.TopPicks.Engagement.GetEngagementItems()
	   at Emby.TopPicks.SpotlightEngagementRefreshScheduledTask.Execute(CancellationToken cancellationToken, IProgress`1 progress)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.ExecuteInternal(TaskOptions options)
	Source: Emby.TopPicks
	TargetSite: Boolean <GetItems>b__15_0(MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem)

2022-11-02 18:49:01.521 Debug TaskManager: Calculate user engagement Failed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds

• Thanks 1

Junglejim

Every time I update "Top Picks" via my Admin account in the web browser (firefox) the "Top Picks" library will be empty as will all my other libs (movies/collections/tv...). If I refresh the browser everything is back to normal. Oddly this does not affect the home "Latest Top Picks widget".

Anyone else run into this?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, Junglejim said:

Every time I update "Top Picks" via my Admin account in the web browser (firefox) the "Top Picks" library will be empty as will all my other libs (movies/collections/tv...). If I refresh the browser everything is back to normal. Oddly this does not affect the home "Latest Top Picks widget".

Anyone else run into this?

Yup, same encountered on Edge and Chromium. Page refresh sorts it out, though. 

• Thanks 1

Junglejim
7 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Yup, same encountered on Edge and Chromium. Page refresh sorts it out, though. 

Well that's some relief that it's not just me.

I thought I had some sort of library db problem there. 😄