Top Picks support thread

chef

MrPancake

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how often does the task to recalculate engagement and generate new top picks is run?

chef
23 minutes ago, MrPancake said:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how often does the task to recalculate engagement and generate new top picks is run?

You can change the task in it's task options. Currently I believe it runs every Sunday at 4 am.

• Thanks 1

Spegeli

Got a litte problem with some Movie Images:

Screenshot.thumb.png.6d6a66b998aa7345360e3481f5f9008a.png

The Missing Images are older German / EU Movies.

But Primary Imagea are available. Did he not use the Primary Images when he cant do custome images? Wondering because for "Das Feuerzeug" it seems to found an image but for the other movies not?!

Screenshot3.png.893180e12d89903f29f6d7bfcfa588f5.png

Screenshot2.png

Is it maybe possible to grab the Image Primary Image from the Movie Folder self as Fallback when he cant make a Custome one?

And another nice thing would be: If the Primary Image is available and he cant make a custome one, make: Black Background, But the Primary Image on it and add the Number, so it would look like this example:

Screen.png.6f1e43edfb0ab83818f53be42fb16975.png

Edited by Spegeli

chef
6 hours ago, Spegeli said:

But Primary Imagea are available. Did he not use the Primary Images when he cant do custome images? Wondering because for "Das Feuerzeug" it seems to found an image but for the other movies not?!

Screenshot2.png

Is it maybe possible to grab the Image Primary Image from the Movie Folder self as Fallback when he cant make a Custome one?

And another nice thing would be: If the Primary Image is available and he cant make a custome one, make: Black Background, But the Primary Image on it and add the Number, so it would look like this example:

We first look in the folder for primary or thumbs depending on the settings.

If those images are not available , we go to the providers to request them. If they are not available there, then the image won't be able to be produced.

Are the images available in the movie folder?

If so, may I please see a log from when you attempted to build the items in the top picks library. 

Thanks so much. 

Bottles51
11 hours ago, Spegeli said:

Screenshot2.png

If you are preferring thumb images then you will need to have a backdrop and a logo image available. Top picks creates a thumb image from your first backdrop (if you have more than one) and the logo. I'm going to assume for your more obscure movies that providers will not have them.

Edited by Bottles51

chef

I have written an alpha selector for the media drop down box which will help with load times.

Next I will create a generic thumb image that will show for items that don't have backdrops readily available from the providers or the collection folder. 

• Like 1

Spegeli
7 hours ago, chef said:

We first look in the folder for primary or thumbs depending on the settings.

If those images are not available , we go to the providers to request them. If they are not available there, then the image won't be able to be produced.

Are the images available in the movie folder?

If so, may I please see a log from when you attempted to build the items in the top picks library. 

Thanks so much. 

1 hour ago, Bottles51 said:

If you are preferring thumb images then you will need to have a backdrop and a logo image available. Top picks creates a thumb image from your first backdrop (if you have more than one) and the logo. I'm going to assume for your more obscure movies that providers will not have them.

1 hour ago, chef said:

I have written an alpha selector for the media drop down box which will help with load times.

Next I will create a generic thumb image that will show for items that don't have backdrops readily available from the providers or the collection folder. 

Yeah i use the Custome Thumbnail Option and in ALL my Movie Folders are including Primary Images but not all Movies Contain a Backdrop Image.

So it seems that is Custome Thumbnail Option enabled and there is no Backdrop and / or Logo to create it he dont use Primary Images as Fallback. That will explain my current issue ^^

If no Backdrop / Logo available it would be nice if you script can make the thumbnail like:   Black Background, on Top the Primary Image in the Center and on the Left side the Number. Like this example:

Screen.png.6f1e43edfb0ab83818f53be42fb16975.png.3ed7a516c528f01321abef34e642ddfc.png

Edited by Spegeli
  • Agree 1

chef
18 minutes ago, Spegeli said:

Yeah i use the Custome Thumbnail Option and in ALL my Movie Folders are including Primary Images but not all Movies Contain a Backdrop Image.

So it seems that is Custome Thumbnail Option enabled and there is no Backdrop and / or Logo to create it he dont use Primary Images as Fallback. That will explain my current issue ^^

If no Backdrop / Logo available it would be nice if you script can make the thumbnail like:   Black Background, on Top the Primary Image in the Center and on the Left side the Number. Like this example:

Screen.png.6f1e43edfb0ab83818f53be42fb16975.png.3ed7a516c528f01321abef34e642ddfc.png

If there are primary images available, then make sure to turn off "prefer thumb images" in the configuration. Primary images will then show instead. 

Spegeli
21 hours ago, chef said:

If there are primary images available, then make sure to turn off "prefer thumb images" in the configuration. Primary images will then show instead. 

Yeah but then there no Thumb Images anymore which i like more ^^

• Like 1

chef
5 hours ago, Spegeli said:

Yeah but then there no Thumb Images anymore which i like more ^^

I agree, I like thumb images as well. 

What are the essential pictures for series ?

Fanart, banner and poster do not seem to be enough :D

Tried it with both "prefer custom primary" enabled and disabled, but two series do not show up like they should in all their glory.

Using generic images might help in some circumstances, but I really think the top picks should look exactly like the originals.

Junglejim
2 hours ago, woenk said:

What are the essential pictures for series ?

Fanart, banner and poster do not seem to be enough :D

Tried it with both "prefer custom primary" enabled and disabled, but two series do not show up like they should in all their glory.

Using generic images might help in some circumstances, but I really think the top picks should look exactly like the originals.

I think you just need the backdrop and a logo for the thumb image. They can come from you library or through your selected scraper if you don't have them locally (tvdb/tmdb/fanarttv/ect.).

If your not using the thumb image it will use your primary image (poster). FanartTV is usually the place to grab logos but I think I've seen some on TMDb to.

Edited by Junglejim
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Junglejim said:

I think you just need the backdrop and a logo for the thumb image. They can come from you library or through your selected scraper if you don't have them locally (tvdb/tmdb/fanarttv/ect.).

If your not using the thumb image it will use your primary image (poster). FanartTV is usually the place to grab logos but I think I've seen some on TMDb to.

Seems it did not use the poster then.

Got Fanart as second fetcher after TVDB, does not seem to have any extra images on those two series of Philoma Cunk either :D

Would be nice to see in the log which image failed to be copied instead of just an error that the copy failed. 99% of the computer errors are sitting behind the keyboard and I rather would like to know if the error was behind my keyboard before I post a bug :D 

42 minutes ago, woenk said:

Seems it did not use the poster then.

Got Fanart as second fetcher after TVDB, does not seem to have any extra images on those two series of Philoma Cunk either :D

Would be nice to see in the log which image failed to be copied instead of just an error that the copy failed. 99% of the computer errors are sitting behind the keyboard and I rather would like to know if the error was behind my keyboard before I post a bug :D 

Okay. I will make the appropriate changes to the log. 👍

I have a new release almost ready. 

• Like 1

Junglejim

Hi @chef, got a question for ya.

Would it possible to have a option for "Display on home screen" in the home settings, same as the Trailers plugin?

Lately I find myself using the widget more "Display in secondary home screen sections such as latest media and continue watching".

Not a big deal if it's not doable, I'm sure stacking it to the top could cause some problems.

It would help clean up "My Media" (AndroidTV) a bit and give me more direct access to the actual media.

All good if it's not possible, just a thought. ;)

GrimReaper
2 hours ago, Junglejim said:

Would it possible to have a option for "Display on home screen" in the home settings, same as the Trailers plugin?

That's not up to plugin but up to Emby core, as Top Picks creates Mixed-content type library (no standard library type provides such option, only virtual ones) whereas Trailers is a channel (channels do). That would require core changes.

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo
  • Thanks 1

@chefHaving let Top Picks do it's thing for a couple of weeks, I still don't feel it's generally picking what's been watched most over that week.

In fact, it seems to pick the same things but just changing the order of them.

Please don't think I'm being critical, I know you've put a lot of work into this plugin and I'm very grateful to you.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Ninko said:

@chefHaving let Top Picks do it's thing for a couple of weeks, I still don't feel it's generally picking what's been watched most over that week.

In fact, it seems to pick the same things but just changing the order of them.

Please don't think I'm being critical, I know you've put a lot of work into this plugin and I'm very grateful to you.

Thanks

I am noticing this as well. It chose the same list again. 

19 minutes ago, chef said:

I am noticing this as well. It chose the same list again. 

Ah right. Any thoughts?

33 minutes ago, Ninko said:

Ah right. Any thoughts?

Yes. I believe we are going back to far in the past to gather popular items.

It's taking to long to renew list when the same items appear and have a high statical probability of taking the rank positions.

I had to go back further with movies because (initially) if a user base didn't watch any movies that week, none would appear. This not the case anymore. We take an even amount of movies and tv shows from popular list, ordering them ascending  from most recently watched, then adding values based on how many users watched the item.

This helps. 

I'm also going to ignore items that were added the week before. 

So new items will appear. Unless, everyone watched the same item, then that item has no choice but to continue holding it's spot in the list.

If everyone has watched the item, I will remove it, to make room for a new one.

That should also help.

Sounds good to me @chef!

Just an idea, you could always give a user option for the time range it basis it's stats on, just an idea.

Thanks