Top Picks support thread

chef

Junglejim
2 hours ago, Darkseidd said:

do you have *.nfo save data enabled?

I do have it enabled for Top Picks only. I don't use nfo's for my main library's. 

• Agree 1

Darkseidd
4 hours ago, Junglejim said:

I do have it enabled for Top Picks only. I don't use nfo's for my main library's. 

omv6 on raspberry pi?

1 hour ago, chef said:

Emby update or the plugin?

I'll have to look into this after work.

plugin update...is happening since the 7th February, just have not looked at the Top Picks and logs...

On 11/02/2023 at 07:33, woenk said:

plugin update...is happening since the 7th February, just have not looked at the Top Picks and logs...

Switched to 1.0.0.43, ran User Engagement and was almost fine (was missing one). Reboot server for the update  and Top picks fails again after a few seconds

Darkseidd

@chef do you specify maximum time to run this task? im seeing alot the task stopped at 1m30s maximum time , ranging between 30s-1m30s. when i looked at emby/data/top-picks-data, the content is incomplete. im using raspberry pi 4b, maybe needs more time...? just a guess
image.png.7a6f5b4e249fa0c5cd02892c97bf5fec.png

Edited by Darkseidd

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, Darkseidd said:

@chef do you specify maximum time to run this task? im seeing max 1m30s maximum time , ranging between 30s-1m30s. im using raspberry pi 4b, maybe needs more time...? just a guess

Shouldn't as the is just how long it to the task to run.

1 hour ago, Darkseidd said:

@chef do you specify maximum time to run this task? im seeing alot the task stopped at 1m30s maximum time , ranging between 30s-1m30s. when i looked at emby/data/top-picks-data, the content is incomplete. im using raspberry pi 4b, maybe needs more time...? just a guess

no, it just finishes when it has calculated the items.

What sorts of items are missing from the folders in the top-picks folder?

Darkseidd
7 hours ago, chef said:

no, it just finishes when it has calculated the items.

What sorts of items are missing from the folders in the top-picks folder?

hit and miss. sometimes it only generate 3 items..not sure if its due to low processing power of rpi4b

image.thumb.png.958d07e9d98994a8b3b60de33f1e5826.png

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Darkseidd said:

hit and miss. sometimes it only generate 3 items..not sure if its due to low processing power of rpi4b

image.thumb.png.958d07e9d98994a8b3b60de33f1e5826.png

Oh, hold up. Okay, I may need to stop mutli-threading the library creation. I'm sure raspi4 could handle it, but I have a feeling that is the issue here. 

Let me do that today, and then you can let me know if it fixes this. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chef said:

Oh, hold up. Okay, I may need to stop mutli-threading the library creation. I'm sure raspi4 could handle it, but I have a feeling that is the issue here. 

Let me do that today, and then you can let me know if it fixes this. 

Not quite sure if it is an multithreading issue....on my Epyc CPU it crashes completely after a few secs :D

And with "completely" I really mean comepletely, looke like it restarts the Emby server. Dont know what the changes where with .44, but .43 seems stable.

horstepipe

@chef

after using the alpha picker for some days, I'd have some suggestions if you have the time somewhen:

- Do not start loading the A letter after accessing the plugin automatically - I always need to wait for it to load before I can click another letter.

- add some busy info when switching the letter. Currently, when switching e.g. from A to B, you do not see what is happening - that it is actually loading the "B" list. So you can't be sure whether you really clicked a letter or not.

Best regards

• Agree 1

horstepipe

also I'm wondering...:
If you use top picks only for manual recommendations, does it need to scan the whole library on the "Update top picks" task?

58 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

also I'm wondering...:
If you use top picks only for manual recommendations, does it need to scan the whole library on the "Update top picks" task?

IMHO there should at least be an option where one does not scan the whole library. Would have the benefit that one could choose the next Top Picks and have them updated some other time (pre-choosing the next picks :D )

1 hour ago, horstepipe said:

@chef

after using the alpha picker for some days, I'd have some suggestions if you have the time somewhen:

- Do not start loading the A letter after accessing the plugin automatically - I always need to wait for it to load before I can click another letter.

- add some busy info when switching the letter. Currently, when switching e.g. from A to B, you do not see what is happening - that it is actually loading the "B" list. So you can't be sure whether you really clicked a letter or not.

Best regards

For the first one, should the list be empty on load, with no highlighted alpha-picker button? 

It makes sense to load the config page faster. Is that what you mean?

12 minutes ago, woenk said:

IMHO there should at least be an option where one does not scan the whole library. Would have the benefit that one could choose the next Top Picks and have them updated some other time (pre-choosing the next picks :D )

Pre-choosing top picks is a cool idea.

I think you can create a new list, but wait to run the update task until later. Your new list should save, but won't update the actual library until the task is run. 

That means you could create the top picks, then run the update. Create a new list, but set the scheduled task to run later.

• Like 3

salty2011

I am currently trialing this plugin but finding that when I run the update task the emby server completely crash (running on Synology). Initially the whole emby server process would stop and would have to restart. Looking to the logs had the issue described in this fix

Applied that fix, now the emby web interface crashes. the process appears to still run, but I am finding the follow error

System.NullReferenceException: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Emby.TopPicks.SpotlightLibraryUpdateScheduledTask.CreateTopPickSeries(BaseItem seriesBaseItem, String spotlightFolderPath, SpotlightItem spotlightItem)
   at Emby.TopPicks.SpotlightLibraryUpdateScheduledTask.<>c__DisplayClass41_0.<<Execute>b__2>d.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__128_1(Object state)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.<>c.<.cctor>b__6_0(QueueUserWorkItemCallback quwi)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunForThreadPoolUnsafe[TState](ExecutionContext executionContext, Action`1 callback, TState& state)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.Execute()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
   at System.Threading.PortableThreadPool.WorkerThread.WorkerThreadStart()
   at System.Threading.Thread.StartCallback()
Source: Emby.TopPicks
TargetSite: Void CreateTopPickSeries(MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem, System.String, Emby.TopPicks.SpotlightItem)

Looking through the emby server log can see top picks does seem to be working through....When I pick off the update tasks I do not CPU usage does jump up by 10 - 15% for several minutes before going back down. but UI does not start working. until complete restart of server

unhandled_cda308e9-6bb6-4556-974b-6392e5d43f41.txt embyserver-63812018023.txt

Since those crashes are not happening to everyone, I really wonder what they have in common. 

Does not seem to be the folder structure or the CPUs, server version also seems to be the latest beta.

Can also somehow not believe that the exception is thrown because of usage, I got got 8 threads assigned to the VM and 16 GB Ram and the version before did not crash. 

Anyone else on Linux having crashes ?

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, chef said:

Those crashes only seem to happen with Series. 

So, let me try and fix that. 

Where the hell did you see that in the logs ? :D

31 minutes ago, woenk said:

Where the hell did you see that in the logs ? :D

CreateTopPickSeries is the method that handles tv shows.

I noticed it before in another log, but couldn't be sure if it was only that method that threw the exception. 

We've seen it twice now, so I'm just looking through the code to see what might be returning empty, and how to handle that. Server level exceptions are nooooooo good. 👍

Edited by chef

horstepipe
On 2/14/2023 at 1:41 PM, chef said:

It makes sense to load the config page faster. Is that what you mean?

yes, exactly!

horstepipe

not sure if you understand my request about library scans.

Why does "Top Picks" need to refresh all libraries, why isn't it enough to refresh the top pick library?

Best regards

GrimReaper

Top Picks not picking-up Networks for TV shows, messing my CSS a bit. 

Top Picks item:

Untitled2.png

Library item:

Untitled.png

Edit: Upon closer look at the metadata, neither external IDs IMDB and TVDB are picked, only TMDBId is present; ditto for trailers, not available in the UI - I reckon if any library should have trailers it's Top Picks, so users might actually check on items when they see them recommended. (All of this goes for movies as well, missing IDs and trailers). 

Edited by GrimReaper
Further observations

Junglejim
18 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Top Picks not picking-up Networks for TV shows, messing my CSS a bit. 

Top Picks item:

Untitled2.png

Library item:

Untitled.png

Edit: Upon closer look at the metadata, neither external IDs IMDB and TVDB are picked, only TMDBId is present; ditto for trailers, not available in the UI - I reckon if any library should have trailers it's Top Picks, so users might actually check on items when they see them recommended. (All of this goes for movies as well, missing IDs and trailers). 

I'm seeing ID's and trailers for movies, tested the trailer button and they works fine...

Screenshot_2023-02-18_09-37-29.thumb.png.46f16af8d2537429e1ce23f6ad418ad2.png

Screenshot_2023-02-18_09-38-09.thumb.png.f475c0ab02b0a991ee1789f4f28562cb.png

Same goes for TV Series, I also get network (Disney+ in this case)

Screenshot_2023-02-18_09-43-07.thumb.png.bd6a5c275c9e930eb5fa45e211c655e6.png

Screenshot_2023-02-18_09-43-28.thumb.png.cb8a78d5d6802b9e7bdb980fa1bbec04.png

• Thanks 1

GrimReaper

Likely because they are scraped - I don't scrape anything with Emby, all the metadata is provided locally, its just not being picked-up as other data is.