Top Picks support thread

chef

chef

But, I noticed that when I did target a specific movie folder, and none of the movies in that folder, out weighed my entire tv series library, then no movies were shown.

Someone is going to say something about that.

There are plenty of options available now to target movies or tv shows or both.

There is also the ability to add and remove items to your list.

If the user base is watching more tv then movies, then tv shows WILL get high ranks.

That's just how it goes in a popularity contest.

chef

There maybe  something up with your TV Shows folder structure.

Do you have some season folders at a top level in one of your  TV Shows folder?

Specials - Parent: TV Shows 
Season 1 - Parent: TV Shows 
Season 5 - Parent: TV Shows 
Season 2 - Parent: TV Shows 
Season 8 - Parent: TV Shows 
Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Parent: root 
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! - Parent: root 

chef

Oh, wait a minute. In Top Pick settings, do you have "TV Shows" location chosen for user engagement stats? or is it empty?

chef

I've figured it out! but i need just a little more time to get it exact. 

I'll be back!

• Thanks 1

chef

@Ninko I'm back my friend. What a wild ride!

Please let me know if you are still experiencing the same issue as before with .40.

• Thanks 1

chef
4 hours ago, Ninko said:

That appears to have fixed it, I'll let you know if that changes.

Thanks @chef, sorry to be a pain.

Not at all. I appreciate the feedback. Let me know if things change. 

I think I was able to cover all the bases. 

• Thanks 1

fahad92

Hi @chefthank you for your amazing work on this

I uninstalled the plugin but I still have the top picks library and showing in the home screen so how to completly remove the plugin.

I think you just need to delete the Top Picks library from with in the Emby library settings@fahad92.

Edited by Ninko

Spaceboy
On 04/01/2023 at 21:18, Spaceboy said:

hi chef - 2 things:

• have you made any changes that should allow me to have the top picks update task running simultaneously to the standard scan library task. i wasnt quite sure from your previous comments
  • i mentioned previously that this

image.png.8bf4cdb5dab1724f6c9e16a3973a9e12.png

isnt working as you intend. thats still the case - while it may only be including items from my "Movies" movie library and not the other three movie libraries that i have, its not excluding items of type Movie from all the mixed content libraries that i have

hi @chef have you implemented fixes for either of these yet? no massive rush - just looking to see if i should be testing them

chef
4 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

hi @chef have you implemented fixes for either of these yet? no massive rush - just looking to see if i should be testing them

Yes, from my testing last night, I believe these are fixed. 

The only mixed content folder I have is top picks. However, I think that by splitting up the library queries, it resolves mixed content showing up where it shouldn't.

Let me know though.

GrimReaper
On 1/4/2023 at 10:18 PM, Spaceboy said:

while it may only be including items from my "Movies" movie library and not the other three movie libraries that i have, its not excluding items of type Movie from all the mixed content libraries that i have

Just as a point of reference, I'm NOT seeing same behavior, Top Picks remain restricted to single chosen movie library though both my Documentaries and Stand-Up libraries are Mixed content-type and have way higher-rated movies than those that get picked up from selected movie library. Whether that's algorithm or coincidence they don't get included - beats me. 🤷‍♂️

chef
11 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Just as a point of reference, I'm NOT seeing same behavior, Top Picks remain restricted to single chosen movie library though both my Documentaries and Stand-Up libraries are Mixed content-type and have way higher-rated movies than those that get picked up from selected movie library. Whether that's algorithm or coincidence they don't get included - beats me. 🤷‍♂️

I believe that by splitting up the queries for each type we have fixed it.

Originally if you had a mixed content folder, and point to movie folder but allow all types of folder with tv series, it would have included the mix content folder which had movies. Man it was tricky bug, and wasn't noticable right away.

Now we separate the queries for each type, this stops movies from showing up from mixed content in the query.

The top picks logic was also changed. we look at what was played by each user in the last 7 days. The more users watch the same thing the better it does in popularity.

Then if the popular results are all over the place (ie. No one watched the same thing) we take the most popular items and order them by community rating. So at least the items that people watch are there, but the final result will be the best of them.

If we have slots leftover, then we look at the library and see what was recently added, and how they stack up to the most popular items, and add the best rated.

It was a lot of figuring out. LOL.

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

Spaceboy
7 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Just as a point of reference, I'm NOT seeing same behavior, Top Picks remain restricted to single chosen movie library though both my Documentaries and Stand-Up libraries are Mixed content-type and have way higher-rated movies than those that get picked up from selected movie library. Whether that's algorithm or coincidence they don't get included - beats me.  🤷‍♂️

not sure we are talking the same thing. these:

image.thumb.png.ce4712fef3286a7dd40ecd6a61e6b767.png

are in my Sports mixed content library. including these is doubling the number of items in this drop down for no value and making it quite slow to render

Spaceboy
12 minutes ago, chef said:

Yes, from my testing last night, I believe these are fixed. 

The only mixed content folder I have is top picks. However, I think that by splitting up the library queries, it resolves mixed content showing up where it shouldn't.

Let me know though.

so these fixes should be in .40? the above screenshot is with .40 installed so not sure its working if so

chef
Just now, Spaceboy said:

are in my Sports mixed content library. including these is doubling the number of items in this drop down for no value and making it quite slow to render

That list is different from user engagement. There is no way currently to filter that list.

I suppose it should have an option.

That'll take sone time. But I can do that.

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

As I understood, that is for Manual selection, I get ALL movies listed there, accoss all Movie and Mixed-type libraries?

• Thanks 1

chef
Just now, GrimReaper said:

As I understood, that is for Manual selection, I get ALL movies listed there, accoss all Movie and Mixed-type libraries?

That's right. Those items are just for manual selection.

If the libraries are big, then that list will take a while to load (not great).

I'll add something to it to help with that. 

• Like 1