Top Picks support thread

chef

chef
1 hour ago, MrPancake said:

Just installed the plugin, love the idea. 

So far it hasn't generated any "picks", so I added some manually. 

However, I noticed a problem with the image of a series in the top picks in the continue watching section. 

The TV show appears twice, first with an image that can't be loaded, and then with the correct one. I tested with all episodes of the series and the problem persists.

Please check this screenshot. 

Thank you! 

Edit: disabling the render top pick over primary image option fixes it. However, it's still a bit annoying that the same item shows twice in the continue watching section. 

494528167_Screenshot_20230103_225709_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ef815e7b2695049b880a4bc2bb2e7616.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. 

So the items that were missing a top picks thumb image showed up after disabling the top pick flag?

That's interesting. I'm wondering if perhaps you may have viewed the hone page prior to the library scan completing.

There unfortunately isn't much we can do about the continue watching duplication, at the moment. However, the moment there is the ability to fix this, it will be fixed. 

Bottles51
1 hour ago, MrPancake said:

Just installed the plugin, love the idea. 

So far it hasn't generated any "picks", so I added some manually. 

However, I noticed a problem with the image of a series in the top picks in the continue watching section. 

The TV show appears twice, first with an image that can't be loaded, and then with the correct one. I tested with all episodes of the series and the problem persists.

Please check this screenshot. 

Thank you! 

Edit: disabling the render top pick over primary image option fixes it. However, it's still a bit annoying that the same item shows twice in the continue watching section. 

494528167_Screenshot_20230103_225709_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ef815e7b2695049b880a4bc2bb2e7616.jpg

i believe this would resolve the issue with continue watching. Please support. Also chef is aware of the engagement task not rendering results and said he would push a fix tonight or tomorrow.

Painkiller8818
4 hours ago, chef said:

New logic is coming.

Now we'll take the most watched item (popular) this will include series at top level. If you binge a series the weight count still only counts as 1 for the series. Not 1 for each episode.

Then those values are organized by critic rating.

The watch status is calculate based on the week. Since that is when the engagement task is set to refresh the list. 

Because the top picks refresh task needs access to the library refresh, the engagement task will not run the top picks refresh if a library scan is currently running. Instead, the list will only refresh the next time it is possible to run the top picks refresh task.

Although, the list will be viewable from the configuration page, the clients won't have access to it until the top picks refresh runs.

I hope that has made sense. 

Look for the update at so e point tomorrow, or late tonight. 

👍

sounds great, does this mean it is a per user top pick or will it be a global for every user the same top picks?

thanks

Painkiller8818
4 hours ago, chef said:

New logic is coming.

Now we'll take the most watched item (popular) this will include series at top level. If you binge a series the weight count still only counts as 1 for the series. Not 1 for each episode.

The watch status is calculate based on the week. Since that is when the engagement task is set to refresh the list. 

Because the top picks refresh task needs access to the library refresh, the engagement task will not run the top picks refresh if a library scan is currently running. Instead, the list will only refresh the next time it is possible to run the top picks refresh task.

Although, the list will be viewable from the configuration page, the clients won't have access to it until the top picks refresh runs.

👍

sounds great, does this mean it is a user specific top pick or will it be a global for every user the same top picks?

thanks

Painkiller8818
4 hours ago, chef said:

New logic is coming.

👍

sounds great, does this mean it is a user specific top pick or will it be a global for every user the same top picks?

thanks

chef
1 hour ago, Painkiller8818 said:

thanks

Currently, this new logic will evaluate library items like this:

Is it an episode? If yes, has it been watched in the last 7 days? If yes, place the series in a list and give it a value.

With regards to TV shows, a cool thing starts to happen, when you binge watch a series. The values start to accumulate weight.  When all your users binge a series it will most likely be placed in the number 1 spot.

If the episode list was not "binge-able", but all your users watched it. It still accumulates weight, and gets placed in the top pick list.

When managing movies, we do the same sort of thing. 

Is it a movie? Was it watched by a user in the last week? Give it weight!

Now we start to see a popularity contest start to evolve out of the statistics.

If all the rank positions are available, and the most popular items don't populate the entire list, then we go back to the method of weighing out the highest critic values and populate the remaining slots available.

chef

yeah, I just put .36 in the catalog.

I looks much better. This list is correct for me, and I do have a user with young  kids who watches Bluey all the time. 😃

top_picks_36.thumb.png.65276607bc755acbdd0f24a38daf7196.png

chef
On 12/22/2022 at 5:06 PM, Thuzad said:

I'm sorry if the problem has already been raised but I haven't looked at the other pages.

When Top picks contains a series it shows me all the episodes instead of grouping them. Is it a bad configuration on my part?

Screenshot from 2022-12-22 23-04-39.png

I'll need to know if you are still experiencing this with version .36.

I think I fixed this.

Bottles51

@chef the problem i seem to be having now is only tv shows seem to generate. I have movies selected as content type but none show. How do i get only movies? I do have multiple movie library's so I would like to leave movie location blank.

Also is it possible to have a setting to have

Only Movies

Only TV

Mix or Both

Edited by Bottles51
  • Like 1

chef
1 minute ago, Bottles51 said:

@chef the problem i seem to be having now is only tv shows seem to generate. I have movies selected as content type but none show. How do i get only movies? I do have multiple movie library's so I would like to leave movie location blank.

Hmm... Maybe I need to make the UI clearer. The content type option is to load the list for when you manually add items.

There is also an option to ignore libraries during the engagement task but maybe my layout isn't making enough sense. 

The reason you are seeing tv shows populate would be because the servers users base is watching a lot of tv shows, more then full feature films?

I could easily add an option to show either movies or tv or both.... Maybe that's what I should do. 

But, as far as user engagement goes, the new logic just creates a popularity contest between items. Whatever was watched over the last week ranked by how many users watched it. 

Bottles51

Well in my case you are right most users watch alot of TV shows. I think myself and most my users would like to see Movie suggestions. My users watch things over and over such as Bobs Burgers, Family Guy and American Dad so those will always be there for me. So yes the option to choose Movies , Tv or both would be amazing. Thanks Chef

• Like 1

chef
17 minutes ago, Bottles51 said:

Well in my case you are right most users watch alot of TV shows. I think myself and most my users would like to see Movie suggestions. My users watch things over and over such as Bobs Burgers, Family Guy and American Dad so those will always be there for me. So yes the option to choose Movies , Tv or both would be amazing. Thanks Chef

Okay,

Or should I limit the amount of each.

Four tv shows, five movies sort of thing?

OnyxUK
1 hour ago, chef said:

I'll need to know if you are still experiencing this with version .36.

I think I fixed this.

looking good to me chef :)

image.thumb.png.6aa8ad8d4f5590d8db498f007e1deb52.png

image.thumb.png.91d3f39fdee3808f4949924f8e10c838.png

image.thumb.png.b9893a26b3d7d7131a03e0067c2c4315.png

image.thumb.png.a12ddbfb9bcfadf8cc248fafce492f1d.png

Edited by ONYX MEDIA
  • Like 1

OnyxUK

the last photo is from emby theater but in tv app in shows as 1 2 3 going down in order same for middle and same same for third

Bottles51
15 minutes ago, chef said:

Okay,

Or should I limit the amount of each.

Four tv shows, five movies sort of thing?

I think if you put the option for both that would be good because mine would still be all Tv shows. To be Honest I would probably always use movies only because Mine will always have the same tv shows every week for the whole year. 

• Like 1

chef
11 minutes ago, ONYX MEDIA said:

the last photo is from emby theater but in tv app in shows as 1 2 3 going down in order same for middle and same same for third

Can you order those libraries by date added?

MrPancake

I've got another bug now. One of the movies in top picks isn't very popular, so there aren't many images available. Emby does find a primary image for it, though. 

However, top picks doesn't add the number next to it and just keeps the regular image. 

Looking at the logs it seems that top picks tries to find an image and just can't, which is odd. 

Spoiler

2023-01-04 06:08:52.659 Error Top Picks: Image is not available.
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.7.11.0
    Command line: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/packages/EmbyServer/var -ffdetect /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffprobe -nolocalportconfig -ignore_vaapi_enabled_flag -pidfile /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/EmbyServer.pid -defaultdirectory /volume1/Public -updatepackage emby-server-synology7_{version}_x86_64.spk -noautorunwebapp
    Operating system: Linux version 4.4.180+ (root@build13) (gcc version 8.5.0 (GCC) ) #42962 SMP Tue Sep 20 22:35:56 CST 2022
    Framework: .NET 6.0.8
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 4
    Data path: /var/packages/EmbyServer/var
    Application path: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system
    System.Exception: System.Exception: Image is not available.
       at Emby.TopPicks.Drawing.SpotlightImageProvider.GetImages(BaseItem item, ImageType imageType, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.TopPicks.SpotlightLibraryUpdateScheduledTask.RenderImages(Int32 rank, BaseItem libraryBaseItem, String outputFolder, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.TopPicks.SpotlightLibraryUpdateScheduledTask.<>c__DisplayClass37_0.<<Execute>b__2>d.MoveNext()
    Source: Emby.TopPicks
    TargetSite: Void MoveNext()

Eigeplackter

Whenever I start the following task my emby server shuts down.

Have to manually rsstart in DSM, no log entry in Synology protocols for the event.

32FDC734-4AF0-4742-B46B-2C47C5054417.jpeg.7222fb2c7cd6e41c2254bf4532287caa.jpeg

Edited by Eigeplackter

Junglejim
4 hours ago, Bottles51 said:

I think if you put the option for both that would be good because mine would still be all Tv shows. To be Honest I would probably always use movies only because Mine will always have the same tv shows every week for the whole year. 

Yea I only use movies at the moment, admin curated list (I don't use the "User Engagement/Scheduled Tasks" stuff).

Personally I'd like to see movies and tvshows split and not merged together.

I like the way Netflix does it...

Screenshot_2023-01-04_19-01-03.thumb.png.9f7347b76ca4f517283cb30484b21f9a.png

Screenshot_2023-01-04_19-02-02.thumb.png.47925e09dd37185368de101e80041ec4.png

Just replace the country (Australia) with Emby. :)

Edited by Junglejim
  • Agree 3

.36 seems much better in regards the items it picks, but it has some kind of problem in what it's picked for item 1 (it contains no items)

Thanks

Screenshot_20230104_093744_Chrome.thumb.jpg.14551f21338d000d424bd559abab4d66.jpg

embyserver.txt

Painkiller8818

i just updated to the latest version und run both tasks but it is still recommending the same top picks in the same order.

So what do i have to do, to get new recommendations, can i start it manually or do i need for something automatic over night?

thanks

chef
1 hour ago, Painkiller8818 said:

i just updated to the latest version und run both tasks but it is still recommending the same top picks in the same order.

So what do i have to do, to get new recommendations, can i start it manually or do i need for something automatic over night?

thanks

Are you picks 'pinned' to the list or something?

Painkiller8818
57 minutes ago, chef said:

Are you picks 'pinned' to the list or something?

no none of them are pinned

UPDATE: After restarting the server again, and re run the tasks it worked and i see new top picks.

But it seems to ignore if i set content type to movie or tv show, as i have movies and i also see tv shows in the recommendations.

Edited by Painkiller8818

chef
6 hours ago, Eigeplackter said:

Whenever I start the following task my emby server shuts down.

Have to manually rsstart in DSM, no log entry in Synology protocols for the event.

32FDC734-4AF0-4742-B46B-2C47C5054417.jpeg.7222fb2c7cd6e41c2254bf4532287caa.jpeg

Hey! Can I see a log when you have a chance? I need to trace that to know what happened.