EMBY ATSC3

lklein

16 hours ago, emveepee said:

@clarkss12 does that v107.mpeg file have 5:1 playable? 

@ebr here is an mp4 of that file.  Tools used eac3to to extract hevc and the second audio track and then muxed with reference ac4 mp4 muxer from github.

These files should play on Roku Ultra directly.

Martin

I cannot access that video.

I was finally able to get that video.  Even forcing it to direct play on my Shield connected to an Atmos receiver, it will not play the audio.

2021-08-22 10:50:01.729 645-645/tv.emby.embyatv D/EventLogger:       [ ] Track:0, id=1, mimeType=audio/ac4, channels=2, sample_rate=48000, language=und, supported=NO_UNSUPPORTED_TYPE

I'm pretty sure Exo is looking at the same API we are for support so it isn't allowing the track to play because the system does not report support for it.

@ebr have you checked to make sure your receiver specifically supports AC-4?

Just because it can handle Atmos doesn't mean it can do AC-4.

I don't have ATSC 3 in my area yet so I can't personally test. 

Am I correct you guys can record ATSC 3 correctly but can't play it back on most devices right now because of the AC-4 audio?

I ask because I've got a build of ffmpeg for windows that can transcode the audio to AAC or AC3. This seems to work for the few AC-4 sample files I have.
This would not help with real time Live TV but could be used on recordings to allow proper playback.

Would something like this be of use to any of you short term?

• Like 1

@cayars Yes, we can record it just fine through emby. It saves the video in HEVC and the AC4 audio tracks, however emby doesn't seem to realize they exist in stable and in the beta it sees the tracks but cant deal with them yet. 

As for the FFMPEG build, for me, I would rather wait until emby is able to handle the audio for me, I hate switching between apps and extra steps in general lol.

Edited by lukeoslavia
TyPoZ

I cannot get it to work in my setup but you guys can test with the next beta version of the Android TV app which will be AC4 aware.  Perhaps your system will report support for it.  The item will need to be direct playable, though so the .ts versions won't work.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, lukeoslavia said:

@cayars Yes, we can record it just fine through emby. It saves the video in HEVC and the AC4 audio tracks, however emby doesn't seem to realize they exist in stable and in the beta it sees the tracks but cant deal with them yet. 

As for the FFMPEG build, for me, I would rather wait until emby is able to handle the audio for me, I hate switching between apps and extra steps in general lol.

My thought if there was any interest I could try and script this and allow it's use through Emby's post processing.  So basically it would record and kick off a script automatically when the recording is finished.  The script would quickly check the .TS recording to see if AC-4 was present and if not abort any conversion.  If it found AC-4 it would remux the file to MKV while coping the video and changing the audio to AAC.

Being a script it could easily be adapted to delete the original recording or move out for safe storage, etc...

Obviously it's best to let Emby handle everything but just thought this might be of use temporarily if anyone really needs to play ATSC 3 records now.
Maybe we can wait till the next beta release to see if @softworkz can do anything to improve this first.

4 hours ago, clarkss12 said:

I would love to try that script.....

If I give you a standalone version of ffmpeg compiled for Windows and I give you the command line to use would you be able to run it against a few recordings manually to make sure this will work before we make it a script?

I've only tested it on 2 files with AC-4 audio as that's all I have and they were small sample files.

clarkss12
34 minutes ago, cayars said:

If I give you a standalone version of ffmpeg compiled for Windows and I give you the command line to use would you be able to run it against a few recordings manually to make sure this will work before we make it a script?

I've only tested it on 2 files with AC-4 audio as that's all I have and they were small sample files.

I will give it a try.

Attached is a windows binary for ffmpeg that includes AC4 decoding.

Try this format:

ac4ffmpeg -i "c:\convert\atsc3.ts" -vcodec copy -acodec aac "c:\convert\atsc3.mkv"

Obviously change those paths to match your input and output file.

Let me know how this works.

ac4ffmpeg.exe

clarkss12
12 minutes ago, cayars said:

Attached is a windows binary for ffmpeg that includes AC4 decoding.

Try this format:

ac4ffmpeg -i "c:\convert\atsc3.ts" -vcodec copy -acodec aac "c:\convert\atsc3.mkv"

Obviously change those paths to match your input and output file.

Let me know how this works.

ac4ffmpeg.exe 29.42 MB · 1 download

I guess that is a little more complicated that I had expected.  

emveepee

Assuming ac4ffmpeg is just the patch from 8349 it doesn't handle the v107.mpeg file anyway because of the silent 5:1 track so the script is even more complicated.

Martin

Edited by emveepee

emveepee
3 hours ago, cayars said:

Here's the v107 file after converting.

@cayars are you actually able to play that file with sound?

Martin

1 hour ago, emveepee said:

@cayars are you actually able to play that file with sound?

Martin

Yes it plays back with sound as it was converted to AAC.

BTW, the next server beta should have this working a lot better.  With an early test build I'm able to play back the different AC4 based files that have been posted.

emveepee
31 minutes ago, cayars said:

Will it play in VLC?

No it is silent.  With your ac4ffmpeg I need to use

ac4ffmpeg.exe -i v107.mpeg -map 0:0 -vcodec copy -map 0:a:1 -acodec aac  output.ts

to get 2 channel sound.  The default doesn't transcode the second stereo channel.  With the patched ffplay I need to use the "a" key to hear sound on the original source file.

That's really strange. I just downloaded the v107 version I uploaded earlier and don't get sound either but do on my local copy.

Trying it again.

v107.mkv

Yes you can most definitely expand the command line used to do different things and convert different audio tracks.  I was trying to keep it to the absolute simplest command line to make it easy to use if anyone needs it.

This likely won't be needed with the next server beta however.

Edited by cayars

If any of you want to try the latest Android TV beta on systems that you think should directly support AC4, you will need to get the item to direct play as the server will not pass the stream in a remux.

So, you'll need to enable direct play for TS files and then also probably set the audio option in the app to "Convert unsupported audio to AC3" (I know that may not make sense, but you'll need to do that).

Let us know what you find.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2