EMBY ATSC3

lklein

clarkss12

Was trying to test the new version, "39", but now my HEVC channels will NOT even play, only a circle going round and round.  At first, I updated to the "39" version on one of my boxes that shows the AC-4 codec as a supported codec, got the circle going round and round.  I tried setting it to "direct play Live TV", but that did not matter.

Next, I tested two more boxes, including the Nvidia Shield, but did NOT update to the ".39" version, the HEVC channels with AC-4 audio still would not play, just the circle going round and round.  Emby DOES grab the tuner, but will not play it............. Strange, was working a couple days ago, has to be something on my end.

Edit:  The HEVC channels will play under Windows, but obviously no audio.........  

Still plays on my Galaxy S20 with audio.

channel 107.jpg

Screenshot_20210823-111859.png

Edited by clarkss12

MBSki
1 hour ago, clarkss12 said:

Was trying to test the new version, "39", but now my HEVC channels will NOT even play, only a circle going round and round.

Still plays on my Galaxy S20 with audio.

Yep, EXACTLY the same experience here. I changed the settings, but nothing plays on my Shield TV Pro.

4 hours ago, mbarylski said:

Yep, EXACTLY the same experience here. I changed the settings, but nothing plays on my Shield TV Pro.

If the server and ffmpeg is involved, then they won't play due to the unrecognized audio codec.  So you have to be sure that it is truly direct playing.  IOW - you probably are going to need to test on a recording.

MBSki
26 minutes ago, ebr said:

If the server and ffmpeg is involved, then they won't play due to the unrecognized audio codec.  So you have to be sure that it is truly direct playing.  IOW - you probably are going to need to test on a recording.

I am using a recording and the stats for nerds says direct play, but it spins anyway. Should I send logs from the app?

Just now, mbarylski said:

I am using a recording and the stats for nerds says direct play, but it spins anyway. Should I send logs from the app?

Are any ffmpeg logs generated on the server?

Yes, send a log.

MBSki
39 minutes ago, ebr said:

Are any ffmpeg logs generated on the server?

Yes, send a log.

Yep, I'll send you a PM with logs.

I sent the logs from the app 

14 hours ago, mbarylski said:

Yep, I'll send you a PM with logs.

I sent the logs from the app 

Okay, this is expected because your device is not reporting support for AC4

08-23 18:19:21.037 14299 14299 I System.out: Reported device audio support is: ,ac3,eac3,dts,dtshd,trueHD

MBSki
8 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, this is expected because your device is not reporting support for AC4

08-23 18:19:21.037 14299 14299 I System.out: Reported device audio support is: ,ac3,eac3,dts,dtshd,trueHD

Interesting. So, the Shield TV Pro doesn't support AC-4 or it just isn't reporting it? Seems like of all the available devices, the Shield would be the one to support it. Odd if it doesn't.

clarkss12
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

You likely need to wait for the next Server beta and then try again.

No, rush.   Thanks

I can see from that log that the app did recognize that the device supports AC4 but the server still caused a remux due to "audio codec not supported".  Perhaps the next beta will recognize it properly.

MBSki
1 hour ago, clarkss12 said:

I tested on a device that specifically says it supports the DD AC-4 audio codec.

What device did you use?

clarkss12
26 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

What device did you use?

I used a Mecool KM1.  I have a lot of different Android  boxes, but that is the only one that specifically states that it supports the DD AC-4 audio codec.

MBSki
28 minutes ago, clarkss12 said:

I used a Mecool KM1.  I have a lot of different Android  boxes, but that is the only one that specifically states that it supports the DD AC-4 audio codec.

Interesting, thanks. It seems the Shield TV Pro should as well. Not sure why it isn't reporting that it does.

jrwalte
4 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Interesting, thanks. It seems the Shield TV Pro should as well. Not sure why it isn't reporting that it does.

The Shield is using hardware that officially supports AC4, but maybe because the codec was still being finalized when 2019 Shield released, Nvidia needs to release an update?

• Like 1

MBSki
28 minutes ago, jrwalte said:

The Shield is using hardware that officially supports AC4, but maybe because the codec was still being finalized when 2019 Shield released, Nvidia needs to release an update?

Yea, possibly, except this forum thread seems to indicate that it's already supported. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/463925/does-the-2019-shield-tv-pro-support-dolby-ac-4-dec/

jrwalte

yes the hardware supports it but that doesn't mean all the software has been told so. For instance, the exoplayer may need an update to say AC4 is supported and that it can either decode or pass it on if connected device shows support.  

Heck, the listed supported formats in the Shield doesn't even show AC4 for you to select to pass on or not.

17 minutes ago, jrwalte said:

For instance, the exoplayer may need an update to say AC4 is supported

Exo already recognizes AC4 so that is not where it is.  I can see it Clarkss' log that his device is reporting support for AC4.

18 minutes ago, jrwalte said:

Heck, the listed supported formats in the Shield doesn't even show AC4 for you to select to pass on or not

Right - which means either it isn't really supported or the software at a lower level (Shield firmware) doesn't recognize it.   You can see the AC-4 option in the image posted above.  This is from the device Clarkss was using.

MBSki
45 minutes ago, ebr said:

Right - which means either it isn't really supported or the software at a lower level (Shield firmware) doesn't recognize it.

That stinks. Hopefully it's just that the Shield needs a firmware upgrade. If hardware doesn't support AC-4 though, will Emby be able to transcode it?

54 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

will Emby be able to transcode it?

We hope so but we don't know yet.  This is a new proprietary format from Dolby. 

• Thanks 1

emveepee

If you guys are interested I attached the latest ExoPlayer demo apk I included the reference AC-4 sample https://testassets.dashif.org/#feature/details/586fb3879ae9045678eab593 links in the build.

I don't have any AC-4 devices other than the Roku Ultra and I didn't tweak the demo but it might show what your device can do. Logcat is showing me that these are ac4 so ExoPlayer is getting that far.

Edit:  I updated the attachment to a release build and was able to confirm that it plays ac4 on my wife's Huawei phone.

Martin

release.zip

Edited by emveepee