EMBY ATSC3

lklein

5 minutes ago, jrwalte said:

My Shield 2019 Pro does support AC-4 and I can play ATSC3 channels perfectly through the HDHomerun app on the Shield

That could be the HDHR app converting the audio but I'm not positive at this point.  Can you try to play one of these in our app for a few seconds and then send a log from the app?

Thanks.

jrwalte

I don't think HDHR is converting it. Other people are complaining they can't get audio through HDHR app and the common denominator is them using a device that doesn't support it. For me, Windows 10, Galaxy Note 20 and Shield 2019 Pro all support AC-4 license.

You should be able to use the log I sent not long ago in this thread?

And I found this about the shield:

Shield is using the MS12 Dolby stack: "Decodes all audio formats required to match worldwide and specific local broadcast standards: Dolby Digital Plus™, Dolby Digital®, HE AAC, all AAC bitstreams, and Dolby AC-4."

https://professional.dolby.com/product/home-entertainment/dolby-multistream-decoder-ms12/

Edited by jrwalte

Can you record a few minute sample of a channel and get it to me for testing?  Perhaps the device doesn't report support but will still play it...

Thanks for the sample.  My Shield cannot decode AC4.

com.google.android.exoplayer2.ExoPlaybackException: MediaCodecAudioRenderer error, index=2, format=Format(3/51, null, null, audio/ac4, null, -1, en, [-1, -1, -1.0], [2, 48000]), format_supported=NO_UNSUPPORTED_TYPE

And the current beta server cannot transcode it either:

10:57:17.489 Decoder (codec ac4) not found for input stream #0:2

Additionally, ffprobe is detecting the audio but as zero channels.

jrwalte

I wonder how HDHR App is getting it done with the Shield. I seriously doubt SiliconDust has paid for ac4 license?

And if that's the case, it seems we have no device currently that could support AC4 for Emby? Besides a PC, which I don't want to do.

Edited by jrwalte

jrwalte
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Thanks for the sample.  My Shield cannot decode AC4.

com.google.android.exoplayer2.ExoPlaybackException: MediaCodecAudioRenderer error, index=2, format=Format(3/51, null, null, audio/ac4, null, -1, en, [-1, -1, -1.0], [2, 48000]), format_supported=NO_UNSUPPORTED_TYPE

And the current beta server cannot transcode it either:

10:57:17.489 Decoder (codec ac4) not found for input stream #0:2

Additionally, ffprobe is detecting the audio but as zero channels.

Also to confirm, you are using a Shield 2019 Pro?

clarkss12

Google's "Live Channels" app also plays the HEVC streams with the AC-4 audio codec, with audio......

Perhaps, Emby can integrate that "Live Channels" app into their player.

Edit: It does use the HDHomeRun engine.

Edited by clarkss12

2 hours ago, jrwalte said:

I seriously doubt SiliconDust has paid for ac4 license?

Why?  They are a hardware company building Live TV tuners.

1 hour ago, jrwalte said:

Also to confirm, you are using a Shield 2019 Pro?

Yes, but the decoding capabilities of the different Shield models are identical (at this point anyway).

jrwalte

Because SiliconDust is not that big a company and the only product they had so far until recently that would require AC4 is a kickstarter tuner. And they don't advertise the codec.

But I'm just guessing, based off how some are saying their HDHR app won't play AC4 whereas other, newer devices, will. If SiliconDust licensed AC4, shouldn't all their apps work regardless of device?

Edited by jrwalte

jrwalte

Found this sticky post on SiliconDust

Says HDHR App supports ATSC3 sound if your device supports Atmos or AC4.

This would match my experience on my 3 devices.

1) On my PC I bought the Atmos codec from windows store long ago
2) My galaxy note 20 supports atmos, but could be ac4 as well
3) Both the Shield and my Receiver support Atmos, so one or the other may be getting HDHR audio to work.

Capture.thumb.PNG.e158cd82959866ec132ac461f57989f6.PNG

jrwalte
1 hour ago, clarkss12 said:

Google's "Live Channels" app also plays the HEVC streams with the AC-4 audio codec, with audio......

Perhaps, Emby can integrate that "Live Channels" app into their player.

Edit: It does use the HDHomeRun engine.

Google Live TV doesn't seem to support DVR, and I can already watch live TV with the HDHR App.  What I am considering is trying HDHR DVR to see if it works or I've found GetChannels which people have said works. Both cost a subscription but something I can use until Emby figures it out.

2 minutes ago, jrwalte said:

Google Live TV doesn't seem to support DVR, and I can already watch live TV with the HDHR App.  What I am considering is trying HDHR DVR to see if it works or I've found GetChannels which people have said works. Both cost a subscription but something I can use until Emby figures it out.

I am actually currently using Channels and it hasn't worked for me, in terms of AC4 content. I'm not sure if there is some additional setup required, but it doesn't just work out of the box. When I signed up though, it gave me a month for free before I had to pay. 

Edited by lukeoslavia

I am using the beta channel unraid container. Im not sure if maybe i need to force transcoding in channels before the stream ever hits emby, but as of now i havent gotten it working. Either way the best case scenario for me, is emby adding AC4 support. 

jrwalte

I'd assume you'd have to use the Channels App not Emby. If you are watching through Emby, you are hitting Emby's limitation.

Even with their web player it doesn't work. I haven't tried their app though. But I have also read that people have somehow gotten it working with emby, which is why i tried it in the first place. Then I discovered TVE and its now worth paying for, for me anyway.

if you try it out, let me know if you figure it out, i'm holding my breath until emby can figure it out though.

Edited by lukeoslavia

43 minutes ago, jrwalte said:

Found this sticky post on SiliconDust

Says HDHR App supports ATSC3 sound if your device supports Atmos or AC4.

This would match my experience on my 3 devices.

1) On my PC I bought the Atmos codec from windows store long ago
2) My galaxy note 20 supports atmos, but could be ac4 as well
3) Both the Shield and my Receiver support Atmos, so one or the other may be getting HDHR audio to work.

Capture.thumb.PNG.e158cd82959866ec132ac461f57989f6.PNG

Check out this page https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74323&start=285

image.thumb.png.a0711b8b7c7d861df3677c8665672b48.png

BillOatman
35 minutes ago, cayars said:

All mentions of AC-4 seem to reference the 2019 model specifically.

From https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=133&t=74323&start=105

image.thumb.png.894ef9f67f3e52258ed0fb35cdc88e72.png

It sounds like the previous versions will do pass through to another device that supports AC-4 or the 3rd gen 2019 will be able to do it in hardware.
Of course this is from SiliconDust and not from Nvidia but I'm sure they've done a lot of testing with the Shields.