EMBY ATSC3

lklein

RandallC

Okay!

I received my HDHR4k and have it all set up.  My major gripe right now is that there does not seem to be a way for me to force it to use ATSC 1.0 for compatible channels.  So if a station is broadcasting HVEC, that's all I can choose - and it's broken of course.  Does anyone know if I am missing a setting somewhere?

Otherwise - is it normal for an SD stream from the HDHR to require transcoding for a windows client?  Direct play works for iOS no problem.  Same with an HD stream.

Edit: I discovered a firmware update that seems to have resolved my inability to watch HD channels (Feb firmware -> April 22 firmware).  Phew!

Edited by RandallC

Hi, isn't the channels that are broadcast in 3.0 also still broadcast in 1.0?

BillOatman
4 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, isn't the channels that are broadcast in 3.0 also still broadcast in 1.0?

I would certainly hope so, for a period of time at least until 3.0 is widely adopted in TVs and other hardware.

emveepee

Initially the firmware mapped them all now the firmware re-maps the ATSC 3.0 channels  so 2.1 is 102.1 in HEVC/AC-4  Best for Emby not to include those ATSC channels until they are usable.

Martin

• 4 weeks later...
RandallC

Hi all!  Just curious if today's server release adds any ATSC 3.0 capabilities.  I didn't note anything in the (lengthy, appreciated) changelog.

11 minutes ago, RandallC said:

Hi all!  Just curious if today's server release adds any ATSC 3.0 capabilities.  I didn't note anything in the (lengthy, appreciated) changelog.

Nothing specific to ATSC 3.0.  Right now Emby can play ATSC 3.0 streams to clients that can directly decode AC4 audio.  But for any client that needs transcoding or doesn't support AC4 it won't work sound wise.  This is on the todo list for getting AC4 into our custom ffmpeg implementation.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@softworkz @Luke @ebr

Been a couple months since I've noticed this being talked about, just checking if there is any progress to be shared, some roadblock, or a beta release I might have missed (fingers 100% crossed)! 

2 hours ago, lukeoslavia said:

@softworkz @Luke @ebr

Been a couple months since I've noticed this being talked about, just checking if there is any progress to be shared, some roadblock, or a beta release I might have missed (fingers 100% crossed)! 

We're looking into it for the next server release. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

clarkss12
31 minutes ago, Luke said:

We're looking into it for the next server release. Thanks.

That would be absolutely amazing....

• 4 weeks later...

Today's Windows beta (4.7.0.7) has an experimental AC-4 decoder included.

Disclaimer

This is provided as-is.
It may work or not.
It may work well or produce glitches and artifacts.
When it doesn't work, there won't be much we can do about it.

I'm looking forward to your experience, though!

sw

Edited by softworkz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

emveepee
1 hour ago, softworkz said:

Is it open source? 

Martin

1 hour ago, softworkz said:

Disclaimer

This is provided as-is.
It may work or not.
It may work well or produce glitches and artifacts.
When it doesn't work, there won't be much we can do about it.

I'm looking forward to your experience, though!

sw

Just wanting to be sure, this will only (potentially) work on windows emby servers right? 

25 minutes ago, lukeoslavia said:

Just wanting to be sure, this will only (potentially) work on windows emby servers right? 

Today, yes. Next one or two betas: all Emby Server platforms.

30 minutes ago, emveepee said:

Is it open source? 

Martin

You can find more details about it in this topic.

Just gave it a shot, and had pretty much the same result as before except now emby seems to know that AC-4 exists and detects multiple language audio streams, it just thinks there are 0 audio channels in each stream. The minute I attempted to force transcoding, it just broke. I will have to test it more tomorrow with a stronger PC, but as of now, still no sound for me. Its a start at least!?

11 minutes ago, lukeoslavia said:

Just gave it a shot, and had pretty much the same result as before except now emby seems to know that AC-4 exists and detects multiple language audio streams, it just thinks there are 0 audio channels in each stream. The minute I attempted to force transcoding, it just broke. I will have to test it more tomorrow with a stronger PC, but as of now, still no sound for me. Its a start at least!?

I have only two test files and with one, I got audio for 1-2s and then silence for 1-2s, and it continued like that. With the other one, it was better, but there was a 'click' sound every few seconds..

MBSki
15 minutes ago, lukeoslavia said:

Are you trying live or recorded tv? And what tuner? I plan to try both later with the SiliconDust tuner.

emveepee
56 minutes ago, softworkz said:

You can find more details about it in this topic.

I understand that it isn't using ffmpeg, ( that fails with ac-4) but custom solutions doesn't mean that the license allows close source.

Martin

8 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Are you trying live or recorded tv? And what tuner? I plan to try both later with the SiliconDust tuner.

I have only tried live tv using an HDHR4k. I do have a few events of the Olympics Recorded that I will be trying out tomorrow though.

MBSki

This seems to be working on my Galaxy S20 (screen shot below), but not on the Shield. I tested both a recording and a live stream and both worked on the Galaxy S10. It's progress! 😁

Screenshot_20210811-195705_Emby.jpg

@mbarylski - DirectPlay normally means that it doesn't touch and change the streams; the success on the Galaxy might be due to the fact that Emby recognizes the AC-4 stream as audio stream now, but decoding is done by the Galaxy.

Do you have an ffmpeg log from the Shield playback? 

MBSki
28 minutes ago, softworkz said:

@mbarylski Do you have an ffmpeg log from the Shield playback? 

It created about 20 logs. I'll send you the first few in a PM.

So I tried a recording from the Olympics that has 3 AC-4 Streams. Spanish 5.1, English 5.1, and UND 5.1(not sure about this one). I tried with and without Hardware transcoding turned on and it failed to play the file both times. (logs attached). I am also attaching a MediaInfo scan of the file.

When I attempt to play it from Emby Theater (desktop) It plays the video only direct play with no audio.

ATSC 3.0 Media Info.PNG

ffmpeg-transcode-b6637576-b203-47bb-a24d-440d1884acb9_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-70f146d3-c27b-44cc-83da-43a5d716998b_1.txt

Edited by lukeoslavia

jrwalte
On 8/11/2021 at 8:18 PM, mbarylski said:

This seems to be working on my Galaxy S20 (screen shot below), but not on the Shield. I tested both a recording and a live stream and both worked on the Galaxy S10. It's progress! 😁

Screenshot_20210811-195705_Emby.jpg

I have the same experience. I can get the HEVC streams working on my Galaxy Note 20 but my Shield 2019 Pro will not work. 

jrwalte

Another point I've noticed. My Shield 2019 Pro does support AC-4 and I can play ATSC3 channels perfectly through the HDHomerun app on the Shield.

So does their just need to be an update between Emby server and the Shield Emby client for it to say Shield 2019 supports AC-4 and let it play direct?