sonarr (NzbDrone)

CBers

I've decided to hold off again until they add support for the torrent site I use.  Until then, it's kind of pointless to go through all of this.  According to the comments on the trello board for Torrent support, they are not adding any more sites until they hammer out the ones they have, which is perfectly understandable.    I rely heavily on the torrent site I use, so I'm just going to hold off a little longer.  It's definitely getting there though.

Of course.  Lived by it for a few years now.   85% comes from Usenet.  The torrent site gets releases faster, has higher qualities that don't seem to ever get posted to usenet, and great for backlog stuff.  No DMCA  issues.

edit: clarified my statement.  Speed wise they are the same for me generally.

Edited by DGMayor
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, really a great tool and easy to use, solid performance and no issues so far.  I really liked the ability to import my entire library, although it would have been nice to set a some global import parameters (like quality profile, exclude ended shows, etc) to make it easier, but going through and selecting each shows quality wasn't that bad.   No need to integrate with MB Server; just drop the file in the library and MB Server takes it from there. New series? No problem tell NZBdrone to create a series and season folder, and you're all set.  Add in sabNZBd and you have end to end automation.

Hi, really a great tool and easy to use, solid performance and no issues so far.  I really liked the ability to import my entire library, although it would have been nice to set a some global import parameters (like quality profile, exclude ended shows, etc) to make it easier, but going through and selecting each shows quality wasn't that bad.   No need to integrate with MB Server; just drop the file in the library and MB Server takes it from there. New series? No problem tell NZBdrone to create a series and season folder, and you're all set.  Add in sabNZBd and you have end to end automation.

NzbDrone doesn't create the season folder until there's something to add into it.

If you want MBS to pre-populate it, you need to create an empty season folder.

For SabNzbD, take a look at NzbGet.

NzbDrone doesn't create the season folder until there's something to add into it.

If you want MBS to pre-populate it, you need to create an empty season folder.

For SabNzbD, take a look at NzbGet.

Yes, but there is a setting in nzbd to NOT create the series folder until there is content to go in it so that can help keep MB happy too.

Yes, but there is a setting in nzbd to NOT create the series folder until there is content to go in it so that can help keep MB happy too.

Which setting are you referring to?

It still won't pre-create them though.

It'll create then when/if there's something to put in them.

Exactly.  So you won't get an empty series folder which is what screws MB up right now.  At least that's how I interpret it - I haven't done any testing.

Exactly. So you won't get an empty series folder which is what screws MB up right now. At least that's how I interpret it - I haven't done any testing.

Correct, which is why I said, if you want MBS to pre-populate it, you need to create an empty season folder.

• 2 weeks later...
AgileHumor

So I'm a long time Media Center Master (MCM) user with a Lifetime Subscription.  However, I wanted to try Usenet/NZBDrone/CouchPotato stack to see if it was more succesfull at automating my new documentary from BBC, CH4, Discover, History Channel, etc..

My thoughts are the UI is amazing in NZBDrone, but it didn't provide the reliablilty of MCM (which can also fall back to torrents).  NBZDrone with 7 indexers still left me without SNL this morning.  However, MCM was able to find SNL on Usenet and Torrents automatically (I changed the the priority from usenet to torrents to test the results).  I think this is because, MCM uses it's own private indexer, and I think it's tuned to automated searches with accurate metdata a little more then the public Newsnab sites.  

I've tried the following indexers: 

• nzbs.org
  • NZBgeek
  • usenet-crawler.com
  • nzbid.org
  • oznzb (had 5% more than others)
  • fastnzb.info

I haven't been able to try (due to no registration options):

• nzb.su
  • dognzb

The plan was to still use MCM to parse my master "downloads" folder where NZBGet and UTorrent completed downloads go.   However, I'm still needing to manually supplement with MCM occasionally. 

While I'm excited to have another option that works great with my existing stack...MCM already did well with normal TV...I did not meet my goal of automating documentaries.  However, I don't think it's all the indexers fault, I'm disappointed that documentaries have such bad metadata at uploading. 

Just wanted to share my limited experience thus far.

Edited by AgileHumor

CBers

@@AgileHumor - did you add the MCM indexer to NzbDrone?

If you have any questions or problems, it's best to post on the NzbDrone forums.

I also have a lifetime licence for MCM, but I stopped using it when MB3 was initially released.

All I use from MCM now, is the indexer.

AgileHumor

I didn't think the private MCM indexer it was NewsNab compatible. In MCM, it's just a checkbox (no newsnab url, api, etc) so I wouldn't even know the options.

While I think the MB3 is getting better, the download parser (and overide options  SNL can be mapped to saturday night live) in MCM is still slight better at the moment.

I don't have any problems with NZB Drone, it's working as well as the indexers allow.  Just an FYI for those looking at the other options.  I definitely got an extra 100 of the 400 missing episodes I had (of a 6000+ episode collection)...so happy I tried NZBDrone/Usenet...but still missing a lot of documentaries. 

BTW, has anyone found a better download parser that can match "series - title" to "series - S00E00 - title"..or at least narrow down a list of suggestions if it can't be automated?  I.e "Modern Marvels - Helicopters" to "Modern Marvels - S00E00 - Helicopters".  Some releases tend to have no season/episode data. 

Edited by AgileHumor

CBers

Sadly, the MCM indexer (tied to the app only) is private and can't be used by NZBDrone

Yes it can, as I have it set up in my NzbDrone.

You need to add it as a NEWZNAB server.

jjfunaz

I agree. I love the interface, and I wanted to use drone because it's built with .net/mono, and like to use programs build on that suite (like MB). I also don't think there really needs to be any integration from Drone > MB. One of MB's best features it how it handles importing new media and updating the meta data, something XBMC/Kodi is very bad at. So I just use drone to download > rename > move the files and MB takes care of everything else.

On XBMC, by default it won't load new items until you force a library update, and working with the metadata isn't as clean as it on MB.

What I would LOVE, is a plugin for MB > Drone integration. Like a plugin that allows you to set the NZBdrone options from within MB. When viewing a TV series have the ability to say "Tell Drone to download this season". But in reality these two products work great independently if not synergisticly. 

Angelblue05

@@CBers

Can you please give more details? I'm really curious as to how to set it up, what information to get and where to get it. Thanks in advance!

AgileHumor

I couldn't find it in Media Center Master either.  

On another front, I did get a DogNZB registration, but sadly didn't get me many more documentaries that I was hoping for.

Edited by AgileHumor

CBers

@@CBers

Can you please give more details? I'm really curious as to how to set it up, what information to get and where to get it. Thanks in advance!

I couldn't find it in Media Center Master either.  

On another front, I did get a DogNZB registration, but sadly didn't get me many more documentaries that I was hoping for.

You just add it in NzbDrone as a NEWZNAB indexer and enter your API key from your MCM Index account profile.

Angelblue05

@@CBers

Well here's my problem, how do I register if I have a premium lifetime license with MCM? I only have access to the indexer using their software. I've never registered on the indexer website since it's closed, on invite only.