sonarr (NzbDrone)

CBers

I like it more then sickbeard and the regurlar updates are great.  It just works quietly in the background.  It would be great if they'd offer more integration.

now that it's been a little while, what's everyone's verdict vs sickbeard?

I never had a problem with SickBeard, but since using NzbDrone (they're thinking of changing the name by the way), I haven't used SickBeard at all.

NzbDrone still doesn't integrate with MB3 though. It'll create the TV show folder, but MBS doesn't recognise it until you create a Season folder. NzbDrone devs don't want to change the MB3 metadata creation.

im85288

I'm also a happy convert, my favourite feature is how it will automatically try a new source when a dud version is found.

As for the issue @@CBers mentions, I'm quite happy with how it works at the moment. Initially when you add a new tv show it naturally does not create a season folder..so mb3 does nothing with it. But once it snatches an episode, I have the renaming set to create a Season folder..which then kicks off mb3 to scrape the metadata. All good for my usage.

• Like 1

@@im85288 - yes, all works fine in MBS when an episode is added and the season folder is created, but I like to see metadata and images before that point :) . It could be a few weeks between adding a show and getting the first episode.

• Like 1

I converted as soon as this thread was posted a few months ago.  I never had any problems with Sickbeard, but for me NZBDrone is far superior.  The look and feel of the UI is hands down better.  I love the calendar view, and ability to manually search for episodes.  I REALLY wish they would incorporate movies - there was talk about implementing this about the same time I switched over, but looks like this was pushed to the backburner (last I checked).

I agree with @@CBers that it would be nice to have the metadata before a episode is downloaded.  Especially right now when I'm adding so many fall shows that don't air for a few more weeks.  However, this is a minor annoyance.  If it bothers me too much, I'll just manually create a season folder.  I also find that the metadata options for downloading are often limited before a series airs anyway.

On a side-note, has anyone switched from their current download client (eg. Sabnzbd) to, or use, NzbGet?

Just wondered what people thought about it.

I'll start another thread if there's a lot of feedback.

Edited by CBers

never used it before or heard of it. might give it ago. can anyone recommend or invite me to any indexers?

You don't currently use UseNet/SabNzbD etc. ??

Might be worth taking that TV show out of SickBeard, if you haven't already, so as not to confuse things.

Don't forget to set up a different category in sabnzbd and a different download location.

Edited by CBers

You don't currently use UseNet/SabNzbD etc. ??

no not used anything like it before. not even installed it yet. if i get time tonight i will give it ago

no not used anything like it before. not even installed it yet. if i get time tonight i will give it ago

There are free usenet accounts and free indexers if you search for them.

This (old) guide will give you an idea how to set up various services (SABnzbd, Sickbeard, Couchpotato and Headphones) - substitute SickBeard for Nzbdrone with the links above.

Might be worth taking that TV show out of SickBeard, if you haven't already, so as not to confuse things.

Don't forget to set up a different category in sabnzbd and a different download location.

Yeah, I think I got it all going and nzbdrone has already grabbed a few old episodes for the show I put in there.  I added a new one just in nzbdrone so Sickbeard doesn't know anything about it.

Now I think I'll try moving one of my 'problem' series over and see if it is any better at finding stuff/retrying.

• Like 1

First thing I'm running into is it is a little too hard to mark a specific set of episodes from a specific series/season as "Wanted".  The wanted list is a huge list of everything that is missing and doesn't appear to have any filtering or searching on it.  And, in the series itself, I can click an option in a drop down to cause a search right then but I can't check off 10 episodes and say "make all these wanted" like I can in Sickbeard.

Am I just missing something?

The idea is to have everything MONITORED.

if you don't want to a show, a season or an episode to be monitored, you can UNMONITOR it by clicking on the bookmark icon next to an item.

It will affect everything under a level (children), so if you unmonitor a season, then all episodes in that season are also unmonitored.

Anything unmonitored is not searched for and downloaded.

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by CBers

The idea is to have everything MONITORED.

if you don't want to a show, a season or an episode to be monitored, you can UNMONITOR it by clicking on the bookmark icon next to an item.

It will affect everything under a level (children), so if you unmonitor a season, then all episodes in that season are also unmonitored.

Anything unmonitored is not searched for and downloaded.

Hope that makes sense.

That works if it is a new/current series and you want all the episodes.

What if I just want to get the first 5 episodes from season 1 of a series with 5 seasons?  I don't want to have it start downloading all five seasons of episodes - I just want those first few from the first season and then I'll see if I like it.  Then later maybe I'll bring in five more, etc.

You can do this easily by marking things "wanted" in Sickbeard.  You could do it with wanted in nzbdrone too except for the lack of organization or filtering for that area.

So, I guess the answer is, you just have to go click on each wanted episode and tell it to search for it.  Not a huge deal but not quite as nice of a design.

Its the same really.

Unmonitor all seasons apart from season 1 and unmonitor the episodes you don't want currently in season 1.

If you want all other episodes later, monitor them.

If you have suggestions for the UI, then please post them on the NzbDrone forums :)

Edited by CBers

sfnetwork

Since this thread, I jumped in with NZBDrone and got rid of sickbeard...

Without stating all the pros, it's just amazing. couldn't go back to SB now.

For the metadata and artwork, BTW, I just make it do the renaming (@@Luke *cough* :ph34r: ) then MBS does all the rest. (I don't get why people insist on making it do it in NZBDrone; MBS does it so well...)

Stupid little things like "failed download handling", real direct integration with Sab, etc... makes all the difference.

Plus dev seems really active and take care of it.

• Like 2

Yeah, the failed download handling and very easy post-processing (not needing a script to run afterward) is a winner in my book.

just wish they had a data import process for saved qualities. that would help bring over people from SB. it's going to be rough manually.