sonarr (NzbDrone)

CBers

CBers

To join the private mcm indexer, I think you suggested it?

PM me your email address, as I have 1 invite left I think.

Swynol

signed up at nzbgeek, do i need an invite to use their indexer? or can i just pay the $6 for 3 months and get teh indexer that way?

CBers

signed up at nzbgeek, do i need an invite to use their indexer? or can i just pay the $6 for 3 months and get teh indexer that way?

That's all I did.

You can get 14 days free first..

Then maybe better value for the "lifetime" version

Swynol

ok thanks lee. trying oznzb atm as i have 5 free downloads a day. might just sign up to nzbgeek the community there has been really helpful so far. 

what usernet providers do you guys use? any preference?

aspdend

ok thanks lee. trying oznzb atm as i have 5 free downloads a day. might just sign up to nzbgeek the community there has been really helpful so far. 

what usernet providers do you guys use? any preference?

I use both nzbgeek and oznzb (and mcm now thanks to CBers!) and they are both very good.

Like CBers, I use SuperNews

aspdend

if i'm struggling to find some episodes would that be down to the indexer or the usernet provider?

I'm no expert on usenet - but I believe it is the Indexer

CBers

if i'm struggling to find some episodes would that be down to the indexer or the usernet provider?

I'm no expert on usenet - but I believe it is the Indexer

I would agree.

If that's the case, then torrents are a fallback.

If you're running the develop branch of Sonarr, then you can add torrent indexers and clients. Haven't tried it myself.

• Like 1

swhitmore

www.reddit.com/r/usenet is a good community if you're new to Usenet. When choosing a provider, be sure to look at how they handle DMCA takedown requests. A lot of the US providers will take down files automatically, whereas the EU providers are less willing to, and  will only take things down manually. i.e. EU servers are less likely to take things down, and hence I prefer them.

I've been using Tweaknews for years without much trouble. I buy this as a subscription, unlimited for the year. I then have a block I've bought from Blocknews I use as a backup. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/wiki/providers

For Usenet providers, note that there are really only five backbone providers remaining that are relevant to TV episode downloader: Cambrium, XS News, Astraweb, Giganews, and Highwinds. All providers you might use will be on one of those backbones.

Highwinds has been on an acquisition spree for years now, and they are by far the largest. If you like having choices rather than a monopoly, you might consider avoiding any provider that is owned by Highwinds or using the Highwinds backbone.

If you are okay with HIghwinds, there are still a couple providers (on Highwinds) that I have personally blacklisted for dishonesty: NewsDemon and NewsGroupDirect. They are notorious for having Black Friday discounts on "Unlimited download" accounts, and then dropping users who download more than they like. NewsDemon is particularly bad in that they claimed to have a drive failure and cancelled a lot of accounts of people, then would not let them sign up to the same type of account that they had before (even though the people could prove their account by the emails they had when they signed up, and by their credit card statements). It is rather obvious that NewDemon lied about the drive failure being why the accounts were dropped (a BILLING drive, and they do not have multiple backups???)

My favorite usenet providers are Tweaknews, Bulknews, Cheapnews, and Astraweb (Astraweb EU server is better than the US server for most things). All of those providers offer block accounts as well as monthly accounts.

By the way, many of the EU providers also have automatic takedowns (although rather than DMCA, they have NTD Gedragscode). XS News seems quicker with the takedowns than Cambrium.

I am not associated with any of the providers mentioned in this email. I am just providing my personal opinions.

Edited by jwill
  • Like 1

jluce50

I've been really happy with SuperNews (EU) as primary and TweakNews as block backup. For indexers I've paid for memberships at nzb.su and pfmonkey.

Edited by jluce50

Swynol

thanks to everyone who helped me setup this. makes life alot easier.

using sonarr,

download client

nzbget.

indexers

nzbgeek (paid)

oznzb.com (free)

usenet-crawler.com (free)

and at the moment using some free usenet trials which are starting to run out. think i will try tweaknews.eu as ive read good stuff about them and they are one of the cheaper ones to start off with. might try supernews otherwise.

anyone use just4today? havent been able to get that one to work.

Edited by Crazypete00

fantaxp7

Not sure if this has been asked, but have you guys seen sonarr download episodes to replace episodes? Sickbeard would do this if specified, like first get hdtv rip then later download blu ray. I noticed it downloaded some episodes that I already had but did not delete the existing ones. I believe it was behaving similar to how sickbeard did.