VirtualTV plugin

pünktchen

Just a message to say thank you, Pünktchen! :D 

Finally had the chance to test the update this week and created 24  new channels for this. It's working fine overall and my EPG generates now in only 8 minutes! Really great stuff!

Still testing some things, but I already love it!!!

jachin99

I just want to make sure I'm filling out my operators correctly.  For sitcoms I'm putting this into the genre box.

Comedy && Sitcom

pünktchen
44 minutes ago, jachin99 said:

I just want to make sure I'm filling out my operators correctly.  For sitcoms I'm putting this into the genre box.

Comedy && Sitcom

Looks good. Don't you get the expected results?

jachin99

I didn't but I'm still toying around with the plugin so maybe there was something else that wasn't correct.  Also, I think all of my sitcoms are tagged as comedies as well.  

Psyborg

Do you want all comedies and all sitcoms in your channel? Then the right operator would be "OR" ( 'II' ) and not "AND". "Comedy" wouldn't make sense otherwise, because all sitcoms are comedies, I assume.

• Thanks 1

pünktchen

New version 0.9.0 in the starting post:

Channels:

• Changed the order of channel content type and library folder selection to compensate problems with the sorting option. (@pmac)
    Also renamed some of the sort options to make the expected result more clear.

Playback:

• Fixed playback start position for channels with bumpers
  • Added new global playback option that allows you to start the following or current program from the beginning if the program start time is in a specified tolerance
  • Added new playback mode "Playlist"
    This is something i wanted to do for a long time and i think it's really outstanding. But like every good thing, this will also have some downsides:
    - Doesn't work with the m3u export function, this will fallback to ffmpeg based continous playback instead
    - Doesn't work with Chromecast yet
    - You will loose the ability to use number imput to switch to other channels and you cannot open the onscreen live tv guide
      (Please support this feature request so some of you will get at least the chance to open the guide)
    But on the other hand the positive things of this playback mode are really great:
    + Should work flawlessly with every native Emby app, even with a Roku (@AboveUnrefined
    ). Android TV needs version 1.8.39 or newer.
       If it does not play at all, report it here. If it starts playing but not with the correct program or start position, then it is a problem of the app like here.
    + No ffmpeg needed. It's directly playing the videos from your library. So when the Emby app supports this, it will direct play every video, audio or subtitle codec.
    + You can pause the video without a temporary transcoding file. You can seek back and forth in the current program.
       You even can jump back and forth between past and future programs of the same channel. (@hstamas)
    Under the general playback options of the plugin is a new setting especially for this playback mode that allows you to choose if the "Watched" state is only set for the user

who is watching the program or also for the user that you have set to create the channels.

In most cases it should be enough to clear the browser cache, re-evaluate the options and save them once again.

Edited by pünktchen
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Being new to this plugin, it's my first time updating. I downloaded the DLL and replaced the existing one with it, restarted the server, cleared my browser cache, and manually triggered a guide refresh but now only one of my channels has any content. Any tips?

Edit: Reverted back to 0.8.6 and everything is working again; I'd just like to know how to properly update to the newest version.

Edited by pmac

pünktchen

Have you made sure that all your previous settings are still there or where adopted to newer values?

Please remove the quoting text from your post as it blows up the whole thread for no good reason.

My previous settings seemed to be in place; I'm not sure what newer values they should be adopted to though...

Edit: Turns out it was the "Channel User" option that was causing issues; since I'd already created a hidden "EmbyTV" user I didn't have use for this option anyway.

Edited by pmac

AboveUnrefined

Hey pünktchen thanks for the heads up! I'm going to give this a try and see how this works. If it's how you're saying it's going to be awesome! Thanks for doing this work and getting it where it is, hoping for the best!

krazzey

It's working fine on the PC with chrome but on my Nvidia Shield it plays a black screen and no audio but has an active duration timer. What I do notice in server dashboard is the active clients chrome shows the actual file being played and the shield shows the channel name instead of movie info. 

This is happening with condition "playlist" being used. Continous playback files do play on the shield.

ffmpeg-VirtualTV15_20201008205556.txtffmpeg-VirtualTV12_20201008205651.txtembyserver.txt

Edited by krazzey

pünktchen
15 minutes ago, krazzey said:

on my Nvidia Shield it plays a black screen and no audio but has an active duration timer

Oh yes, you need the Android TV Beta app. Your version 1.8.28g doesn't correctly handle my playlists.

pünktchen
44 minutes ago, krazzey said:

Installed Android TV Beta app the latest version. Still a no go for me on shield. Black screen no audio with active duration. Continuous playbayback are channels still working.

Up to this point all looks good now:

2020-10-08 21:53:49.300 Info SessionManager: Playback start reported by app AndroidTv 1.8.40g playing Horror. Started at 0 ms
2020-10-08 21:53:49.300 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 204 to 192.168.1.128. Time: 2ms. http://192.168.1.102:8055/emby/Sessions/Playing. ConnectionId: 0HM3BT1KE7E69
2020-10-08 21:53:49.300 Info Trakt: Playback Started
2020-10-08 21:53:49.300 Info VirtualTV Plugin: SessionInfo > Playback started for ChannelId: VirtualTV1, Client: AndroidTv, Device: SHIELD, User: kraz
2020-10-08 21:53:49.300 Info VirtualTV Plugin: SessionInfo > Pushing playlist to SessionId: d0a50ac285489ed66b9bb4fccc9d50bc
2020-10-08 21:53:49.311 Info VirtualTV Plugin: SessionInfo > Playlist StartIndex: 4, StartOffset: 6 min, ItemIds: 1487766|63974|1826763|66747|67982|68399|66270|64421|68257|1840229|1646765

But then the log is missing the request of the app for the playlist items. Currently i don't know why this doesn't work for you. I have the same server version as you and also the same app version on a Shield device, but here it's working. Let's wait for some feedback from other Android TV users before we try to debug it in a pm session.

pünktchen

One quick shot you can try is to just logout the user from the app and then restart the app.

AboveUnrefined

Looks like whenever I try to play a custom channel the app just blows up on my roku tv. It'll just immediately quit out once I attempt to play the channel...

I set my channels to be the playlist mode and have cleared out the emby app settings but it'll just wind up blowing up the emby app on my roku tv every time. This happens both on the regular emby app and the beta emby app.

Unless there's something else I can try it looks like I'll have to wait for another update to have another go with this.

Edited by AboveUnrefined

pünktchen
8 hours ago, krazzey said:

Issue resolved, it was Add the "Channel User" to playback sessions needed to be ticked. I unticked during setup.

Of course this setting should be optional, so something is wrong. Questions: Is the user who is playing the channel the same as the one you have chosen in the plugin to create the channel? If not, has the playing user access to the real library items? Is the Shield user the same as the FireTV user where it was working?

I can help on this and figure out why it crashes. Just need to add this plugin and familiarize myself with it enough. When you put the new version up in this thread I can help see why the damn Roku app crashes consuming the streams. We do not want plugins crashing on the Roku app. I can help you solve this. ^_~

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pünktchen

Great @speechles! I have the feeling i'm just overstaining the Roku. This is what i'm doing with the "Playlist" playback mode of the plugin:
When a user switches to a live tv channel of the plugin, a 60 seconds black mp4 video is played back through Emby's live tv engine. In the plugin i'm waiting for the "Playback started" event to arise so i know which session is playing the channel. When i have this information, i'm sending a remote command to the app to play the real library items that sit behind the program information. On my Shield this whole process only lasts a fraction of a second, but i guess that's too fast for the Roku to react (close the black live tv video and open the playlist video).

The Roku is entirely event based. There is really no runtime pointer of where processing is happening. If the event occurs the Roku handles it. This makes somes things a bit more difficult because there has to be triggers, observers, and handlers. I am suspect it is just something we haven't run across yet and something simple. The mechanics in the Roku app are quite simple. But like you said when things happen too fast this event based approach can fail. We can add special handling for your plugin if we must. It cannot crash that is the general idea. It must work on Roku if it works anywhere else. I can make that happen.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

AboveUnrefined
Just now, pünktchen said:

@AboveUnrefined this is bad news 😔 I'll provide you another test version later today. I really want this to work for you on Roku.

If there's something I can do to help I'll do my best. Thank you for your efforts!