Show off your rig..

saajan4u

Guest asrequested

Working great for me, not getting full bandwidth, but also am not running jumbo frames on the Emby server either because of issues with the Nvidia Shields when Jumbo Frames is enabled.

Some guys were saying they were only getting a 5Gb bandwidth with the win 10 driver. Still decent. I actually have two of them, but I haven't tried them. I found some cheap new X-3s.

Guest asrequested

Just added a Quantum LB6M 10Gb switch I picked up on Ebay for $170.

I may get one of these. Then I can use both ports on my NICs. It's working well?

Guest asrequested

Just got my second Crucial M.2 SSD, and after it stealing the spotlight (Port 0) from the OS boot drive (shenanigans ensued), all is working well. In a little while, I'll be testing copying files from that drive, over the 10G network, to the drive pool on the server that has SSD Optimizer running with two Samsung 250GB 850 EVOs. For this test, I have around 111GB to move. Included in that, is the complete X-Files series (72GB). Drum roll, please!

Damn it! I forgot. The X-Files are going to a different pool (the basement).....

So only 41.7GB are being moved. Three different movies.

UPDATE:

Total crap! 60MB/s. 

I figured it wouldn't reach max, as there were multiple files. But that is total crap!

UPDATE 2:

I don't know what happened the first time, but this just happened :)

58b79fcc064d2_Snapshot_517.jpg

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 2

Swynol

impressive speeds, was that from one pool to another or from a different machine over 10G?

Guest asrequested

impressive speeds, was that from one pool to another or from a different machine over 10G?

Over 10G from my HTPC to my server drive pool

• Like 1

CBers

Built my new server

Server finished, DriveBender migrated, Emby migrated, all "other" services migrated.

All ready to watch stuff again :)

My reverse cables arrived!!! Also a fan controller so I can monitor HDDs more closely :)

Once done @ work I'm going to my mancave to build it up! Once done there too, transfer 14Tb of data, can't wait

Edited by PVTD

PenkethBoy

Server finished, DriveBender migrated, Emby migrated, all "other" services migrated.

All ready to watch stuff again :)

New Pictures????

CBers

New Pictures????

Pictures! Pictures! :)

I might have some, but nothing special, as it was just a case and a MB.

I'll see what I can do though :)

Guest asrequested

My reverse cables arrived!!! Also a fan controller so I can monitor HDDs more closely :)

Once done @ work I'm going to my mancave to build it up! Once done there too, transfer 14Tb of data, can't wait

My fan controller has a heat probe. I've slid it under the drive cage. It measures about 6C too low, but I've adjusted the threshold to compensate. I thought the fan controller would adjust the speed incrementally, but it turns the fan on full. They are running at 50% which is fine, most of the time. But if the drives warm up, 60% gets the job done with not much difference in noise. At 100% these things are a hurricane! When it's hot in the summer, I'll probably run the fans at 60%.

CBers

transfer 14Tb of data

Is it in a pool or raid?

I moved my physical discs from my PC to the new one and DriveBender found them straight away and the mountpoint was instantly available.

Migration time for 8Tb was 15 minutes, which included shutting both systems down moving the discs and booting the new one :D

It's all here!!!

So, this was a tricky build, especially since a lot of things are fairly new to me...

58bc413a0617d_inside1.jpg

As you can see (or not) I only have 2 PCIx4+ slots, so I bought one of those x2 to X16 PCI extenders.

The reason I got it is because even tho I have 16 sata ports (10 on the non-raid card and 6 on the mobo) I have 4 sets of SFF to 4x sata reversed cables.

I tried to put 1 SFF cable on both cards but this ended up getting windows to NOT start, drives not detected and whatnot. Useless in the end.

Its a mess inside the case, but those SFF cables are way to long....

A better look at the inside:

58bc4266c8343_IMG_20170305_145811.jpg

Gotta love strips to attach things in your casing :P

So this is the almost end result:

58bc42dac03e1_IMG_20170305_145839.jpg

In order to figure out why the hell Windows Server wouldn't boot up I took all night (literally haven't slept yet...) to find out you cannot attach SSF reversed cables to 2 different Controllers!!!! How dumb was I to not think this logically...

Anyhow, it makes my rack look prettier now.

58bc4380e781a_IMG_20170305_035848.jpg

*I took this pic when I was still trying to figure out the boot problem...

Oh and fans are controlled by the motherboard, not the fan controller, it is only there to monitor HDD temperatures (sensors are glued to the side of the center bays on every floor).

YEY!

Speed results comin in soon!

PS: The synology is leaving to make room for a router server as it is not needed anymore.

EDIT: GOT EM SPEEDS, not impressive, but good enough.

jDqXjQs.png

Edited by PVTD
  • Like 2

Is it in a pool or raid?

I moved my physical discs from my PC to the new one and DriveBender found them straight away and the mountpoint was instantly available.

Migration time for 8Tb was 15 minutes, which included shutting both systems down moving the discs and booting the new one :D

Raid5 to pool :P

I missread that at first and got so jelly!!!

Prob is the RAID5 controller is an Intel build into the mobo, so I HAVE to send it all over hehe.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

It's all here!!!

So, this was a tricky build, especially since a lot of things are fairly new to me...

58bc413a0617d_inside1.jpg

As you can see (or not) I only have 2 PCIx4+ slots, so I bought one of those x2 to X16 PCI extenders.

The reason I got it is because even tho I have 16 sata ports (10 on the non-raid card and 6 on the mobo) I have 4 sets of SFF to 4x sata reversed cables.

I tried to put 1 SFF cable on both cards but this ended up getting windows to NOT start, drives not detected and whatnot. Useless in the end.

Its a mess inside the case, but those SFF cables are way to long....

A better look at the inside:

58bc4266c8343_IMG_20170305_145811.jpg

Gotta love strips to attach things in your casing :P

So this is the almost end result:

58bc42dac03e1_IMG_20170305_145839.jpg

In order to figure out why the hell Windows Server wouldn't boot up I took all night (literally haven't slept yet...) to find out you cannot attach SSF reversed cables to 2 different Controllers!!!! How dumb was I to not think this logically...

Anyhow, it makes my rack look prettier now.

58bc4380e781a_IMG_20170305_035848.jpg

*I took this pic when I was still trying to figure out the boot problem...

Oh and fans are controlled by the motherboard, not the fan controller, it is only there to monitor HDD temperatures (sensors are glued to the side of the center bays on every floor).

YEY!

Speed results comin in soon!

PS: The synology is leaving to make room for a router server as it is not needed anymore.

EDIT: GOT EM SPEEDS, not impressive, but good enough.

jDqXjQs.png

Nice! I'm thinking that a new mobo should be on the top of your list. Get some more PCIe 4/8x slots. 

Edited by Doofus

I think an actual server board could wonders indeed, but the price is always above the 3-numbers range. Second hand was also hard to find.

About the X3, those too go for triple digit prices, while a pair of X2's go for 80€ on eBay. I am going to invest in a 10gb switch (managed preferred) once I move to my own place with the girl, so right now I am happy the data server works :D

Now focus on content AND convert them into Emby friendly formats so I can remove one of the CPU's to consume less. Lots of to-do lists here, infinite fun :D

Guest asrequested

I think an actual server board could wonders indeed, but the price is always above the 3-numbers range. Second hand was also hard to find.

About the X3, those too go for triple digit prices, while a pair of X2's go for 80€ on eBay. I am going to invest in a 10gb switch (managed preferred) once I move to my own place with the girl, so right now I am happy the data server works :D

Now focus on content AND convert them into Emby friendly formats so I can remove one of the CPU's to consume less. Lots of to-do lists here, infinite fun :D

I'm testing and adjusting my network, today. I'm getting some weird transfer rates. I don't like it. So I'm testing different configurations.

And I just started getting problems with Emby not finding the UNC locations, as well as the data server stuck on "Looking for Updates" infinitely.

New install will be the next step to avoid 1mill more problems.

Guest asrequested

It looks like one of my connectx-3 cards isn't working correctly. Just for kicks, I'll jam in an x2 and see what happens.

CBers

Now focus on content AND convert them into Emby friendly formats

Why, what formats are they all in now?

PenkethBoy

@@PVTD

I have one of those pci-e x1 to x16 adapters although i just use it to power my expander card to free up a pcie x8 slot - i have not tried it with anything else

how are the speeds from those disks are they restricted by the usb or the x1 port speed? 

Why, what formats are they all in now?

Kind of random, Sonarr finds whatever it wants TBH, so with the script using HandbrakeSLI.exe I can render them all to 720p while maintaining decent quality. (Also to reduce upload overhead since I am limited to 10-20mb up depending on the time of day)

@@PVTD

I have one of those pci-e x1 to x16 adapters although i just use it to power my expander card to free up a pcie x8 slot - i have not tried it with anything else

how are the speeds from those disks are they restricted by the usb or the x1 port speed? 

Actually, x1 doesn't limit that much more then a x2+ when it comes to transferring data, I might lose a few %, but the since I use DP and have 2 cache SSDs working, it wont matter much.

I will see to make a normal copy speed result. (The USB is a USB3.0)