Nvidia Shield TV- Playback will pause constantly

BeRealBud

Correct.  If this issue only occurs when direct playing (not when transcoding) then you are just going around in the same circles all the other people in this thread have and you can save yourself some time :).

• Like 1

Riggs

@ Have you tried the "Playback problems..." button?

If that fixes it, then it is the same issue as this and you need to wait for NVIDIA to fix it, not the Emby team.

If it doesn't, then it is a different issue. Open a new thread about your issue.

Okay yes, with playback correction works.

There's no difference if the movie is high bitrate or not, yesterday fails with a small movie, 4K content normally at 50 minutes +or - stops.

Meanwhile i can use Kodi, i'm not fan of downgrates.

Thanks again.

Riggs

@@ebr i sent you yesterday between 5:47 and 6:48 PM  GMT -6 a bunch of logs under the user  HRS, HRSCR, or HRSCR SHIELD.

Explanation:
1- The movie I was watching is called Transformers The Last Knight (2017) .mkv
2- I forgot to change the subtitles from .PGS to .srt initially.
3-Then, before restarting the movie, I changed the subtitles from .pgs to .srt and resumed the film's production.
4- Emby ignored my change and went into remux mode.
5- This time I stop the movie, go back to the main window and check that the subtitle .srt was chosen, and yes it was, at least that indicated the screen, I continue with the movie and now the .srt was taken and the direct play is shown.
6-The next time the movie stops, I choose "Playback Correction" to continue but for some reason, Emby returned a black screen, I gave him back on the remote control, but the movie lost the position where it was.
7- I removed the application and opened it again, this time I changed the subtitles before playback by .srt I went back to the movie and continued more or less where she was. A moment later, the movie stops again, I choose "Playback Correction" the movie continues, BUT auto magically takes the PGS subtitles. I did not give importance and continued watching the movie.
8-Almost at the end of the movie began to make small audio cuts, I stopped. Of course, since the movie was almost over, I had to start from or again and overtake her to the point where she was. Pre-selected .srt subtitles.

Finally and just to take the opportunity to help with this topic and give you information, was the reason why I saw the film with all its problems.

I hope this helps you developers.

Here I leave in a -zip the logs, they are enough.

Point and separate: I have chosen in Emby server the directory / home / MYUSERNAME / Emby / temp / transcoding-temp .., which has all the permissions. Because Emby Server uses / var / lib / transcoding-temp .., which fills the root of temporary files and saturates.
I have no idea why yesterday Emby in all that disaster with the reproduction took the path / var / lib / transcoding-temp and today in the morning that level to review the server I found the root again full of temporary files of decoding. (this may be useful for @Luke)

Thank you

PS @@ebr i gonna send you a PM with some info about Shield Developers. Please check.

logs.zip

• Like 1

Folks - we have information that a fix for this will be forthcoming from Nvidia.  Sorry, no I cannot tell you when but we are relatively confident that they have identified and addressed the problem and the fix should be included in a future firmware update to the Shield.

Don't ask for more info because that's all I have :) but that is good news to me.

• Like 11

BillyBob1

Thank you for the update. I look forward to see if the firmware update works.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

puithove

if you happen to run server on linux, enabling tcp bbr can help alleviate 'some' of these problems.

but yes, anything after 7.1.0 is broken and very much hit/miss for streaming above 10-12mbit.

tcp bbr - https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/enable-google-tcp-bbr-ubuntu

I'm running from a Linux server, so I switched to bbr a couple of weeks ago, and I have not seen the issue since.  It does seem to be a good workaround for my environment.

Pog22

I'm running from a Linux server, so I switched to bbr a couple of weeks ago, and I have not seen the issue since. It does seem to be a good workaround for my environment.

I saw huge Google peering bandwidth improvements by enabling BBR but the issue still persists. My Mibox direct plays any file I ask it to, my Shield will pause within the first 10 mins.

aptalca

Folks - we have information that a fix for this will be forthcoming from Nvidia.  Sorry, no I cannot tell you when but we are relatively confident that they have identified and addressed the problem and the fix should be included in a future firmware update to the Shield.

Don't ask for more info because that's all I have :) but that is good news to me.

Thanks so much for the confirmation and the update

effinG

Folks - we have information that a fix for this will be forthcoming from Nvidia. Sorry, no I cannot tell you when but we are relatively confident that they have identified and addressed the problem and the fix should be included in a future firmware update to the Shield.

Good news then. Was just about to post on here that i had an nvidia shield for sale. Been using a £40 4k firestick which has worked flawlessly all the time the shield was glitching out!

Edited by effinG

rickn345

Looking forward to a functioning firmware. I plan to stop Nvidia updates by blocking ota.nvidia.com at the router ( suggested by mikeB2210 ).  Anyone know if this will cause other issues with the shield? How often does the shield hit the server?

mikeB2210

Looking forward to a functioning firmware. I plan to stop Nvidia updates by blocking ota.nvidia.com at the router ( suggested by mikeB2210 ).  Anyone know if this will cause other issues with the shield? How often does the shield hit the server?

I only block the updates for the downgrade. Once you have downgrade to 7.1 the shield works without any problems.

• 2 weeks later...
Pog22

I got the bitrate fix Shield update from the Geforce forum and so far it's looking like it's fixed the issue with direct play on my Shield. It's a page or 2 back in this thread, you have to pm the mod with a message that you'd like to test the update and also your serial number

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1091469/shield-tv/shield-plex-playback-issues-on-7-2/7/

Riggs

I got the bitrate fix Shield update from the Geforce forum and so far it's looking like it's fixed the issue with direct play on my Shield. It's a page or 2 back in this thread, you have to pm the mod with a message that you'd like to test the update and also your serial number

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1091469/shield-tv/shield-plex-playback-issues-on-7-2/7/

The fix works for the intended, i installed a month ago, i have no issues anymore of that kind.

I never mention this here because "sniper" told me: don't.

Edited by HRSCR
  • Like 1

Pog22

The fix works for the intended, i installed a month ago, i have no issues anymore of that kind.

I never mention this here because "sniper" told me: don't.

Yeah my box is flawless again, I've direct played from my server all evening, a few episodes and half a movie and not a single pause

• Like 2

Do any of you that installed this hotfix also have cropped HDR content you can test with?  Just a wild hope that maybe they addressed that issue as well...

fizzyade

Great to hear about the fix, I'll wait until it makes it into a public release before upgrading.  I have 3 boxes, so can't be bothered to risk applying for the patch and then upgrading them if it subsequently turns out not to fix it.

Will be keeping a close eye on things.

Riggs

Do any of you that installed this hotfix also have cropped HDR content you can test with?  Just a wild hope that maybe they addressed that issue as well...

I have no issues after the hotfix

vdatanet

I have no issues after the hotfix

Good news!

Edited by vdatanet

• 4 weeks later...