Archive - Samsung Smart TV App - Public Alpha Test

chessdragon136

chessdragon136

Which views lag? The Album / artist page which is the 6x3 grid or the other views which are two lines of 5?

Is it repeatable - the first load has to cache images, so will inevitably be slower?

I may have to do some tests with you guys to see what the issue is.. My music collection only has about 100 albums and i don;t have lag that occurs in the minutes, mines 5 seconds at most and my tv has little to no memory and a rubbish mstar processor.. 

CBers

Just tried the ALBUM ARTISTS view and used the RED button to jump down the alphabet.

Got to E and it hung, eventually exiting.

Not sure if the app crashed, or finally responded to my exit button press.

I then tried the same in ALBUM view and it jumped all the way through to Z without issue.

The ARTISTS view seems OK as well.

Just tried ALBUM ARTISTS view again and all was OK. Perhaps it's just a caching issue on occasion.

Edited by CBers

CBers

Small point, but when exiting from the playlist, it seems to take a while (3-4 sevobds) and then returns to the beginning of the view you were in, rather than taking you back to where you were in the view.

sornis

Which views lag? The Album / artist page which is the 6x3 grid or the other views which are two lines of 5?

Is it repeatable - the first load has to cache images, so will inevitably be slower?

I may have to do some tests with you guys to see what the issue is.. My music collection only has about 100 albums and i don;t have lag that occurs in the minutes, mines 5 seconds at most and my tv has little to no memory and a rubbish mstar processor.. 

I enter Music Folder

And in the next Screen I have a Row of 5 Artists On top and a Row of Albums of the choosen Artist.... It is there when I use the right navigation (continuously pressed) button on the remote to choose another artist  and after some pages it happens.

but heres the catch:

I have this collection on a NAS.

Here's what I'll try next, I have a similar collection In a HDD on my server PC and I'll try to do the same to see if it happens then.

Edited by sornis

chessdragon136

Ok I've given it some thought and the issue is that for each artist you select in the top line I am creating a server request to get all albums for that artist. If you skip through them very quickly it is still loading data for each artist and as such performance is rubbish.

What I have done is to add in a 0.5 second delay to loading the album data so it can see if you are still selected on the same artist or not, and if not it won't load the data, hence improving performance..

Please try v0.455 which is now on the server and let me know if performance is any better. Like i said in the last post i only have a small collection so i didn't see this.

@@sornis - my collections are also on a NAS so don't worry on that - thanks though!

CBers

That's much better - doesn't freeze at all.

Not sure why this is, but I have a couple of artists that have multiple tracks list against them (number on green circle), but there is no album listed underneath.

Under the artist on my server, the albums are there, just not showing up in the app.

chessdragon136

That's much better - doesn't freeze at all.

Not sure why this is, but I have a couple of artists that have multiple tracks list against them (number on green circle), but there is no album listed underneath.

Under the artist on my server, the albums are there, just not showing up in the app.

Remember that view is Album Artist - so chances are the artist is on a compilation album so doesn't have an album of their own... I need to see if i can query so it only shows artists with >0 albumartists...

If you navigate through the artists view from the menu it will show.. 

chessdragon136

Oh and great that it works! Thankfully that was a lot easier than i had expected

chessdragon136

Ok - @@Luke - Is there another way to get albums for an artist which doesn't use their name? I am using something like the below currently:

?SortBy=SortName&SortOrder=Ascending&IncludeItemTypes=MusicAlbum&Recursive=true&StartIndex=0&Artists=NAME

My problem is the Samsung SDK does not support Unicode (source), so on artists like Michael Bublé I am losing the special character, and hence I am returning no results. Ideally I'd search on an artists ID? - I know I've been out the development loop for a while so sorry if i've missed this.

Thanks

Ok - @@Luke - Is there another way to get albums for an artist which doesn't use their name? I am using something like the below currently:

?SortBy=SortName&SortOrder=Ascending&IncludeItemTypes=MusicAlbum&Recursive=true&StartIndex=0&Artists=NAME

My problem is the Samsung SDK does not support Unicode (source), so on artists like Michael Bublé I am losing the special character, and hence I am returning no results. Ideally I'd search on an artists ID? - I know I've been out the development loop for a while so sorry if i've missed this.

Thanks

at the moment no but i can look in to adding it.

rickster53

When using version 0.455 and scrolling thru either artists or album artists, any artist name with an "&" eg. Hall & Oats, or "'" eg. Guns 'N Roses does not display any albums under that artist. Non alpha numerical characters must be messing up your search

chessdragon136

If you could I think that would be useful for most people - searching on ID's must be more reliable and safer than names, especially in foreign markets..

@@rickster53 that is the issue I've been talking to Luke with but thanks for the confirmation - i'm trying to work out a solution

Edited by chessdragon136

rickster53

If you could I think that would be useful for most people - searching on ID's must be more reliable and safer than names, especially in foreign markets..

@@rickster53 that is the issue I've been talking to Luke with but thanks for the confirmation - i'm trying to work out a solution

Understood... Also just wanted to mention that the UI response is very quick with almost zero lag when scrolling from artist to artist. Nice work! Thank you for the time, effort and hard work you're putting into this app....

AndyNichs

Hi, really sorry if this has been posted else where but I can't find an answer.

I've installed Media Browser Server on a PC and have it working on loads of different devices without any problems (phone, tablet etc...) The only problem I have is with M2TS files on my Samsung Smart TV. I get a "Connection Error" when I try to play any M2TS file on the TV however it shows the files, images and metadata without any problems. All other types of files play fine and to confuse me even more M2TS files play via the Plex server on the TV without issues. 

Again sorry if this has been posted elsewhere and it's probably something I'm doing wrong, but does anybody else have this problem or does M2TS files work for you on a Samsung TV? 

Ok to answer some questions (im at work so i'll keep this quick)

- Auto update doesn't exist - just keep an eye on this thread and you'll know when to update - update method is the same as install.

Dear @@chessdragon136 - we know that you are extremely busy and really appreciate all the work you are doing on this project. Updating the app every time however is a tedious process - is there not a possibility that you can include a small update routine (even if it is not automatic) in the app? Furthermore every time the app is updated the MB server address has to be re-entered and the Experimental mode option (I have not checked the other options) has to be changed again. Can this information not be kept from one update to another?

Thank you once again for the great work - we are truly thankful.

RE: MUSIC

This feature is great! Just 2 questions (requests?):

1. Is it perhaps to use the traditional Play/Pause/Stop/Back/Forward buttons on the remote (iso the lesser familiar menu driven option with left and right arrow keys)?

2. I have several collections with songs from different albums. The original album cover is stored in the ID3 tags. Is it possible to show the separate album art when playing each song (and also when browsing through the songs)?

Thks

SamES

Hi @@chessdragon136, not sure if you had a chance to implement a fix for MPEG2VIDEO in mkv containers (DVD MKV rips).  It still does not appear to be working (posts 290/291)

Just some other thoughts:

• When viewing a season or episode with no defined backdrop I just get a blank background.  It would be nice to pick the backdrop working up the hierarchy (No Episode backdrop -> Use Season Backdrop -> Use Show Backdrop).  I think this is how the web client works.
  • I'd love to see a second page on the home screen to enable Home view 3 and Home view 4.  The home view options are great shortcuts to frequent views but 2 just doesn't seem to be enough.
  • When a resume point is available for an item, it would be sensible to default the playback screen for the item to the resume menu option instead of play (or provide a prompt 'Play from beginning or Resume' if resume point is available but Play is selected).  Currently it is too easy to press enter and begin playback from the beginning, accidently loosing the resume point.

BTW, the music stuff is looking great.

chessdragon136

Ok too many people to multi quote - sorry...

TV Air Date - I'll see if it works in the layout or not... Should be easy enough if it does, if not then i need a rethink.. I never know how much info is too much on a page...

M2TS - It's probably my transcoding profile - Can i request a screenshot of the file details from the web interface please (Sorry i dont have time to explain now but im sure you'll work it out) - If possible a small sample video would really help! Upload one somewhere if possible.

SamES - Can you make me a sample video - Like the above I have much more dev feedback and i'll be able to see exactly where it fails 

Pine - Updating there is no alternative, its samsung policy and i am using the developer login to install apps... If and when im on the market this shouldnt be an issue..

Music - Im sure the play pause stop keys should control music if you have the music bar open. I can see it in my code base at least.. As for song album art its a low priority.. 

TV missing artwork - will look into that if the api makes it easy to get the parent image, i think it does now... 

Resume - Again will look into it. Is just re-ordering the gui's to put resume first. 

• Like 1

chessdragon136

Ok new release v0.460:

TV Air date is in

Resume is now listed first if available

Backdrops - By default it uses the Season for the main backdrop. The little image in the bottom left is the episode backdrop. For the episodes it is odd to use the season backdrop trust me. The main backdrop defaults to series if season is not available - I really need someone who can make me a nice graphic for when there are no backgrounds to show

Experimental -> Viewing non tv or film or music folders should now show folder structure rather than the mess before.

• Like 1

chessdragon136

53b2fc4162455_CaptureM2TS.png

Hi, See above. It happens to all the M2TS files.

@@AndyNichs

v0.460a released to add support for m2ts - let me know as i don't have any files to test with

Edited by chessdragon136