[SUPPORT THREAD] Embuary - A Emby Kodi Skin

sualfred

sualfred

Version 18.4.2 Leia

Version 17.4.2 Krytpon

Important:

- Please update script.embuary.helper to the latest version!

- script.toolbox is back as dependency!

Breaking changes:

- script.skin.helper.service support dropped. Addon can be uninstalled.

- script.skin.helper.backgrounds support dropped. Addon can be uninstalled.

- script.skin.helper.widgets support dropped. Addon can be uninstalled.

- service.nextup.notification support has been replaced with the successor service.upnext. Please uninstall it and/or replace it with service.upnext, which is available in the Emby beta repo.

- Random fanarts for the music player are now provided by script.artistslideshow. This addon is optional and has to be manually installed and configured to get it working.

New feature:

- Colorpicker support for the used accent color in the skin. Can be set and configured in the skin settings under appearance.

Edited by sualfred
  • Like 3

flatline69

Updated without issue. However, my issue still persists. I'm probably going to have to wipe this box and start new and see where I'm at.

Glyde62

Have it asking to install skin helper service when I first click a widget

Seems ok after that.

Has He skin helper service skin backup enabled

Could that be causing it?

Sent from my HTC_M10h using Tapatalk

flatline69

Have it asking to install skin helper service when I first click a widget

Seems ok after that.

Has He skin helper service skin backup enabled

Could that be causing it?

Sent from my HTC_M10h using Tapatalk

It wouldn't let me uninstall the skin service backup either but I can live with that, was able to uninstall the three other components.

sualfred

Was the case for me too. You have to uninstall all skin.helper things except the colorpicker and backup module.

flatline69

Rebuilt my box this morning - CPU issues appear to be resolved. Looks like there was a lot of cruft from upgrades (over time) as it looks and acts a bit different (but not in a bad way.) Definitely faster too.

• Like 1

adamstewiegreen

Thanks for the colorpicker. The themes were good without it but I still adjusted some things.

And thanks for your work on this skin. It's the best and (IMO) most complete skin on leia. No one else developing skins is (as far as I can tell) as active in updating as you are and it really shows.

• Like 2

flatline69

I think I solved my Emby issue as well. Turns out that I did not have an ACL for the Emby user (Openmediavault) allowing R/W into my folder structure. I only noticed this because I went and checked some of the movies that were taking in excess of 3 minutes to launch/play. I discovered no artwork and no nfo file; so I'm currently forcing a refresh server-side and it's now being populated (I had recently upgraded my NAS datastore.) Unfortunately, during my troubleshooting I had forced native-mode vs addon-mode and disabled force http and a few other settings. Now my titles launch instantly and from the bit of Googling I've done, I'm not missing much (not a paid subscriber to Emby) but wish I had discovered the missing ACL before changing to native-mode to see if I had fixed it then. Unfortunately my library is so big that re-importing it is quite lengthy on this little Amlogic S905.

EDIT: In case anyone mentions it, I prefer Emby for Kodi over EmbyCon :)

Edited by flatline69

VaporTrail

Was the case for me too. You have to uninstall all skin.helper things except the colorpicker and backup module.

FYI On my Firestick Gen2, Kodi + Emby for Kodi + Embuary skin uses 60-70% CPU when idle. Not sure if that can be improved.

I've disabled both skin.helper and skin.helper.backup. Can't uninstall either due to Embuary or the Digital Clock Screensaver addon, yet everything appears to work fine with them disabled. Just would like to know if further optimizations could be made - like using a static background image in Embuary.

sualfred

The old FTV stick is a very slow device and you could try to disable the background completely or use a staic one. This settings are available in the skin configuration. 

Edit:

The upcoming new FireTV stick, which is going to be released next month, should be much better. At least the hardware specs are better. Maybe you should consider to replace your existing one.

Edited by sualfred

flatline69

Yeah I see that a lot, can I ask why?

I have several Amlogic S905 running CoreELEC. EmbyCon runs perfectly fine on it, by and large, but I find that it misses artwork and lags especially on large libraries and the network cost (even local) is pretty high even though the box is wired gigabit (that is, it has a gigabit NIC.) With Emby for Kodi, it's all cached locally making it faster (for me, on that device.)

flatline69

FYI On my Firestick Gen2, Kodi + Emby for Kodi + Embuary skin uses 60-70% CPU when idle. Not sure if that can be improved.

I've disabled both skin.helper and skin.helper.backup. Can't uninstall either due to Embuary or the Digital Clock Screensaver addon, yet everything appears to work fine with them disabled. Just would like to know if further optimizations could be made - like using a static background image in Embuary.

When I rebuilt my box, I found that the Estuary skin used ~20-30% CPU even during playback. There's a post somewhere on the Kodi forum which I stumbled across which explained that skins that trigger dirtyregions (scrolling text, next up, etc) are the culprit due to how Kodi works and it's yet to be solved. Once I installed Embuary it shot up to 50-60% constantly (sometimes top will show 130-160%) so it's a necessary evil in my world. End of the day, nothing I can do about it unless I want to live in a drab and boring world :)

• Like 1

sualfred

Kodi Leia got rid by dirtyregions rendering and uses smartredraw afaik:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/12213

I'm not sure but maybe you have to enable it via the advancedsettings.xml:

<gui><smartredraw>true</smartredraw></gui>
But yeah, the Kodi engine is a pain on low powered devices. There is even a difference on my i3 Skylake NUC. LibreElec has random micro stutterings, but Windows is running stable 60fps. Edited by sualfred
  • Like 1

horstepipe

Just FYI folks, you can remove the metadatautils addon via Kodi (gui), too:

It’s quite hidden under Kodi settings -> System -> Addons -> addon dependencies

Best regards

• Like 1

flatline69

Just FYI folks, you can remove the metadatautils addon via Kodi (gui), too:

It’s quite hidden under Kodi settings -> System -> Addons -> addon dependencies

Best regards

Out of curiosity, why remove that?

VaporTrail

The upcoming new FireTV stick, which is going to be released next month, should be much better. At least the hardware specs are better. Maybe you should consider to replace your existing one.

It looks like a good little streamer. H.265 HDR Direct Play. Hope to see it on sale for Black Friday.  :)

Kodi Leia got rid by dirtyregions rendering and uses smartredraw afaik:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/12213

I'm not sure but maybe you have to enable it via the advancedsettings.xml:

<gui><smartredraw>true</smartredraw></gui>

Thanks. I created an advancedsettings.xml on my Firestick and put the following code. I also turned off background images and metadatautils addon. Granted I haven't done much but stay on the Hardware Information page in Settings, but the CPU dropped to 50% on idle (average). I also used these cache settings: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=237212

<advancedsettings>
<gui>
<smartredraw>true</smartredraw>
</gui>
<network>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<cachemembuffersize>157286400</cachemembuffersize>
<readbufferfactor>20</readbufferfactor>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

If all goes well this potato might well be worth keeping as a backup.

sualfred

@@horstepipe

Already added to the GitHub branch of the skin. But requires the recent Emby for Kodi patch + database reset.

We've added a workaround.

1.png

2.png

• Like 1

horstepipe

BTW do you know whether the server plugin ‚rotten tomatoes‘ is still needed?

Looks like I‘m having the ratings without having the plugin installed anyway. Does it make any difference?

sualfred

It's not listed in my plugin catalog and I haven't installed it. So I guess -> nope.

VaporTrail

The video cache settings are different now, it was an old thread you used

https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache

Look at the bottom of the page

Appreciate the update.

@@horstepipe

Already added to the GitHub branch of the skin. But requires the recent Emby for Kodi patch + database reset.

We've added a workaround.

I've received an Emby for Kodi patch automatically today. Based on your comment, is there anything else I should do atm? I'm running stable Emby, so perhaps wait until 3.6 before worrying about any other updates/resets?

sualfred

I'll push the skin update this evening (in 5 hours), so you won't see a difference yet. It's up to you and how long your syncing process takes.

• Like 1