Show Intro Skip Option

Liquidfire88

samuelqwe
25 minutes ago, chef said:

Do you think it is the length of the encoding we are grabbing in this instance?

Simpsons is a 30 minutes show.

Unlikely, since Simpsons episodes seem to be around 20 to 25 minutes, and we’ve had great success with episodes of that length.

Knowing if it affects all seasons or just a few would be useful information to help diagnose this further.

On a more technical note, I’ve noticed FFmpeg offers us a few different versions of the chromaprint algorithm. We’ve always just used the default option, but I’m wondering if perhaps one of the other versions might give us a better result? Might be a good idea to test on a small subset of shows to see if there are any differences with detection accuracy. Just something to think about.

Edited by samuelqwe
  • Like 1

slevin7

Hmm... Is it all the seasons? 

It is

@slevin7 it has been a while since I have watched an episode. Do the intros always happen at the very beginning of the episode? 

Mostly yes. 

2 minutes ago, samuelqwe said:

Knowing if it affects all seasons or just a few would be useful information to help diagnose this further.

Some are worse 

36864828_Bildschirmfoto2022-03-24um20_40_48.thumb.png.8bcec26aa20b82cbec51e1ad1dc24b89.pngBut older seasons are better.

1305979385_Bildschirmfoto2022-03-24um20_42_16.thumb.png.a9af1fcdbf0de6ce304b9c1d529db5ef.png

Is it possible that only the first episode is scanned?
especially with the Simpsons, a lot has changed, also in terms of the intro and the famous Maggie cash beep.

samuelqwe
7 minutes ago, slevin7 said:

Is it possible that only the first episode is scanned?
especially with the Simpsons, a lot has changed, also in terms of the intro and the famous Maggie cash beep.

Every episode within a season is compared to every other one within that same season. We do this so we can look at all the possible matches and get a better idea of if the results are correct or not.

Looks like we’ll have to do some further testing to figure out why this might be happening, because I would’ve expected Simpsons to have a better result.

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer
1 hour ago, chef said:

Hmm... Is it all the seasons? 

@samuelqwe@rbjtech@Cheesegeezer

Do you think it is the length of the encoding we are grabbing in this instance?

Simpsons is a 30 minutes show.

@slevin7 it has been a while since I have watched an episode. Do the intros always happen at the very beginning of the episode? 

Always happen right at the start.and 20mins is plenty of time. Are you thinking for 30min we only look at first 10mins. 1 that would improve the scan times and 2 possible higher chance of success

Painkiller8818

yes i can confirm this, simpsons was one of the most problematic show i have. I had to manually do almost every season and they have 33 now, so a lot of work 😕

intros are 95% almost at the very beginning and the intros are all the same till it comes to the couch scene, here it is different for every episode, also to mention halloween and xmas are very different from all the rest of the seasons

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

chef
1 hour ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Always happen right at the start.and 20mins is plenty of time. Are you thinking for 30min we only look at first 10mins. 1 that would improve the scan times and 2 possible higher chance of success

Unless it is another GOT type of problem, where for whatever reason it is undetectable. 

If we took a shorter encoding we might miss the intros on shows that have recaps/story line in the beginning.

Really weird that we wouldn't be able to hamm that audio though. At some point between all those episodes we should eventually get a match. 

rbjtech

It may be the 'source' - ie a different tempo, a different amplitude.  Is it a Blu-ray (clean/original Audio) or TV Rip source ?

It may be an extra sound added to the start or end of the intro, or a different fade in/out for example.

I spent a while looking at the GOT issue back in the day - I actually did some video editing and cut out the Intro Audio from another episode to insert into one to test (that wasn't being picked up) - and then it was picked up.  To me, there was no different between the two what-so-ever .. 👨‍🔬

In summary, for what sounds identical to the human ear, is seen as not the same by the Algorithm.

I think as we originally discussed @chef, if you lower the accuracy enough, then it gets picked up - but the trade off is you then introduce lots of other false positives/misses on other shows.

The only way we could potentially resolve these problem shows, is to introduce a 'per show' hamming value that the user can potentially play with ?

I think you said this is now fixed ?  It no longer reads the config xml file ?  If we could, then maybe we could experiment a bit with that value for the Simpsons problem ?

If you do want to investigate this - then lets take it back to PM ... ;)

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

Cheesegeezer
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

It may be the 'source' - ie a different tempo, a different amplitude.  Is it a Blu-ray (clean/original Audio) or TV Rip source ?

It may be an extra sound added to the start or end of the intro, or a different fade in/out for example.

I spent a while looking at the GOT issue back in the day - I actually did some video editing and cut out the Intro Audio from another episode to insert into one to test (that wasn't being picked up) - and then it was picked up.  To me, there was no different between the two what-so-ever .. 👨‍🔬

In summary, for what sounds identical to the human ear, is seen as not the same by the Algorithm.

I think as we originally discussed @chef, if you lower the accuracy enough, then it gets picked up - but the trade off is you then introduce lots of other false positives/misses on other shows.

The only way we could potentially resolve these problem shows, is to introduce a 'per show' hamming value that the user can potentially play with ?

I think you said this is now fixed ?  It no longer reads the config xml file ?  If we could, then maybe we could experiment a bit with that value for the Simpsons problem ?

If you do want to investigate this - then lets take it back to PM ... ;)

Yeah even @samuelqwe took our GoT samples we sent to him and ran them thru a spectrum Analyzer to check and the only difference he found was the gain, one was slightly lower that the other. Which threw it out for a successful match..... And..... we did try to play with the hamming distances to improve however we were unsuccessful. 

However... @chef I can go and check the code but, off the top of your head,  did you manage to get Hamming into decimal value rather than integers.  I can't remember (been asleep since then LOL :D ). If it's still integer then this could be our way of fine tuning this.

• Like 3

samuelqwe
2 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Yeah even @samuelqwe took our GoT samples we sent to him and ran them thru a spectrum Analyzer to check and the only difference he found was the gain, one was slightly lower that the other. Which threw it out for a successful match..... And..... we did try to play with the hamming distances to improve however we were unsuccessful. 

Actually, if I remember correctly, there was a slight variation in the pitch that was basically undetectable unless you were closely comparing the two episodes side by side. And since chromaprint’s algorithm is mostly based on pitch, it makes sense that a slight variation there would affect the result.

• Like 1

slevin7
On 3/24/2022 at 10:09 PM, Painkiller8818 said:

ntros are 95% almost at the very beginning and the intros are all the same till it comes to the couch scene, here it is different for every episode, also to mention halloween and xmas are very different from all the rest of the seasons

oh, what i had forgotten is the Blackboardjoke, which is always read out in german.
Yes now I think why the Simpsons are so hard.

seanbuff

@chef so I finally tried clicking on the 'Preview' button on the episode thumbnail (which is a clever feature btw)

However, nothing seemed to happen:

image.png.4de72b08f4d88455fad8cc79a3d6f3fd.png

Here's the error in my log for reference:

2022-04-02 12:47:29.496 Info Server: http/1.1 GET http://host1/emby/Videos/489435/stream.mp4?StartTimeTicks=621355968460000000&VideoCodec=h264&AudioCodec=mp3,aac&VideoBitrate=139616000&AudioBitrate=384000&AudioStreamIndex=1&SubtitleStreamIndex=12&SubtitleMethod=Hls&TranscodingMaxAudioChannels=2&SegmentContainer=m4s,ts&MinSegments=1&BreakOnNonKeyFrames=True&ManifestSubtitles=vtt&h264-profile=high,main,baseline,constrainedbaseline,high10&h264-level=52&TranscodeReasons=AudioCodecNotSupported,DirectPlayError&allowVideoStreamCopy=false&n=1648864049477. Accept=*/*, Host=mb.leandroid.cloud, User-Agent=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/101.0.4951.15 Safari/537.36, Accept-Encoding=identity;q=1, *;q=0, Accept-Language=en-AU,en-US;q=0.9,en;q=0.8, Range=bytes=0-, Referer=https://mb.leandroid.cloud/emby/web/index.html, DNT=1, Sec-Ch-Ua=" Not A;Brand";v="99", "Chromium";v="101", "Google Chrome";v="101", Sec-Ch-Ua-Mobile=?0, Sec-Ch-Ua-Platform="Windows", Sec-Fetch-Dest=video, Sec-Fetch-Mode=cors, Sec-Fetch-Site=same-origin, X-Forwarded-For=10.1.1.1, X-Forwarded-Proto=https
2022-04-02 12:47:29.502 Error Server: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.7.0.32
	Command line: C:\Users\<username_obfuscated>\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll -noautorunwebapp
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.19044
	Framework: .NET 6.0.2
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: C:/Users/<username_obfuscated>/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 16
	Data path: C:\Users\<username_obfuscated>\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
	Application path: C:\Users\<username_obfuscated>\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
	System.ArgumentException: System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added. Key: 2
	   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.TryInsert(TKey key, TValue value, InsertionBehavior behavior)
	   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Add(TKey key, TValue value)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Encoder.Demands.DemandsBuilder.BuildDemands(EncodingJobInfo state, EncodingDiagnosticOptions diagnosticOptions)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Encoder.TranscodingCommandBuilder.BuildDemands(EncodingJobInfo state)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Encoder.TranscodingCommandBuilder.GetProgressiveVideoFullCommandLine(EncodingJobInfo state, String outputPath)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.Progressive.VideoService.GetCommandLineArguments(String outputPath, StreamState state)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.BaseStreamingService.StartFfMpeg(StreamState state, String outputPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken, Boolean acquireResources)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.BaseStreamingService.StartFfMpeg(StreamState state, String outputPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken, Boolean acquireResources)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.Progressive.BaseProgressiveStreamingService.GetStreamResult(StreamState state, IDictionary`2 responseHeaders, Boolean isHeadRequest, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.Progressive.BaseProgressiveStreamingService.ProcessRequest(StreamRequest request, Boolean isHeadRequest)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceController.GetTaskResult(Task task)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, RestPath restPath, String responseContentType, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, ReadOnlyMemory`1 urlString, ReadOnlyMemory`1 localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: System.Private.CoreLib
	TargetSite: Void ThrowAddingDuplicateWithKeyArgumentException[T](T)

2022-04-02 12:47:29.502 Info Server: http/1.1 Response 400 to 10.1.1.1. Time: 6ms. http://host1/emby/Videos/489435/stream.mp4?StartTimeTicks=621355968460000000&VideoCodec=h264&AudioCodec=mp3,aac&VideoBitrate=139616000&AudioBitrate=384000&AudioStreamIndex=1&SubtitleStreamIndex=12&SubtitleMethod=Hls&TranscodingMaxAudioChannels=2&SegmentContainer=m4s,ts&MinSegments=1&BreakOnNonKeyFrames=True&ManifestSubtitles=vtt&h264-profile=high,main,baseline,constrainedbaseline,high10&h264-level=52&TranscodeReasons=AudioCodecNotSupported,DirectPlayError&allowVideoStreamCopy=false&n=1648864049477

Using latest Beta Server (4.7.0.32) + IntroSkip 0.0.1.96

Let me know if you need the full log.

• Thanks 1

chef

Hmmm... I wonder if I'm supposed to do this... I maybe breaking some top secret stuff here... 🤔🤨

I hope everyone is sitting down for this... 😄

Untitled1.thumb.png.428293d23b462885dc691e2844141387.png.f48ebddd3edcab7dff5414b0fbd43a10.png

• Like 9

seanbuff
20 minutes ago, chef said:

I hope everyone is sitting down for this...

shock.gif.81bb58ceefeb8b2b2dbca546b0801dac.gif

Amazing! 👏🏽

• Haha 3

Weevillo

Hi,
So was wondering: Would it be possible to add the option to set the minimum length for an intro on a general, show or seasonal level? I've got a library that consist of only anime and it would probably eliminate close to all of the false positives (since anime intros are always either 1:30 or they just don't put one in then for that episode) if I just set the minimum intro length to 1 minute or something like that. Either that or do something like Sonarr with a drop-down option with a fixated minimum, but I would prefer the first option if possible.

P.S: That skip button turned out great! Blends in super well.

Screenshot 2022-04-02 221809.png

FrogMaster

Currently running into an issue where I am unable to select dropdown options for the following menus: 
Users:
OR
TV Shows to exclude from scans: 

They both will appear with a partial dropdown and no actual information or options to choose from. 
image.png.3fe23314ec876faab32f655896627b28.png

This is preventing me from choosing users I want to Enable/Disable the feature for. It also seems to be preventing me from using IntroSkip as when I go to a TV Show that an intro has been detected for, the intro is not skipped automatically even though the settings to auto skip are enabled. 

IntroSkip: 0.0.1.96
Emby Version: 4.7.0.32 beta

Any thoughts on how I could correct this to get the plugin working?

Edited by FrogMaster

rbjtech
8 minutes ago, FrogMaster said:

Currently running into an issue where I am unable to select dropdown options for the following menus: 
Users:
OR
TV Shows to exclude from scans: 

They both will appear with a partial dropdown and no actual information or options to choose from. 
image.png.3fe23314ec876faab32f655896627b28.png

This is preventing me from choosing users I want to Enable/Disable the feature for. It also seems to be preventing me from using IntroSkip as when I go to a TV Show that an intro has been detected for, the intro is not skipped automatically even though the settings to auto skip are enabled. 

IntroSkip: 0.0.1.96
Emby Version: Version 4.7.0.32 beta

Any thoughts on how I could correct this to get the plugin working?

Did this work ok in a previous Emby (beta) version ?

Also please turn on Debug logging, let an episode try and Auto-Skip and send the embyserver.txt log file as this contains the verbose logging for Introskip and we can easily see if the skip is being attempted.

Thanks.

Edited by rbjtech

FrogMaster
2 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Did this work ok in a previous Emby version ?

I was only just recently made aware of Intro Skip so unfortunately I cannot say, I never had the opportunity to use it in an older release. 

FrogMaster

Oddly, rebooting the entire Jail for a second time seems to have resolved this and I can now select users/tv shows. 
I had done a full reboot on the initial install of the plugin, but I guess it needed another one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

chef
16 hours ago, Weevillo said:

Hi,
So was wondering: Would it be possible to add the option to set the minimum length for an intro on a general, show or seasonal level? I've got a library that consist of only anime and it would probably eliminate close to all of the false positives (since anime intros are always either 1:30 or they just don't put one in then for that episode) if I just set the minimum intro length to 1 minute or something like that. Either that or do something like Sonarr with a drop-down option with a fixated minimum, but I would prefer the first option if possible.

P.S: That skip button turned out great! Blends in super well.

Screenshot 2022-04-02 221809.png

Once we see how the final integrated version looks, there will most likely be opportunities to recreate the editor with some functionalities like this. 

On 4/1/2022 at 9:54 PM, seanbuff said:

@chef so I finally tried clicking on the 'Preview' button on the episode thumbnail (which is a clever feature btw)

However, nothing seemed to happen:

image.png.4de72b08f4d88455fad8cc79a3d6f3fd.png

Here's the error in my log for reference:

2022-04-02 12:47:29.496 Info Server: http/1.1 GET http://host1/emby/Videos/489435/stream.mp4?StartTimeTicks=621355968460000000&VideoCodec=h264&AudioCodec=mp3,aac&VideoBitrate=139616000&AudioBitrate=384000&AudioStreamIndex=1&SubtitleStreamIndex=12&SubtitleMethod=Hls&TranscodingMaxAudioChannels=2&SegmentContainer=m4s,ts&MinSegments=1&BreakOnNonKeyFrames=True&ManifestSubtitles=vtt&h264-profile=high,main,baseline,constrainedbaseline,high10&h264-level=52&TranscodeReasons=AudioCodecNotSupported,DirectPlayError&allowVideoStreamCopy=false&n=1648864049477. Accept=*/*, Host=mb.leandroid.cloud, User-Agent=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/101.0.4951.15 Safari/537.36, Accept-Encoding=identity;q=1, *;q=0, Accept-Language=en-AU,en-US;q=0.9,en;q=0.8, Range=bytes=0-, Referer=https://mb.leandroid.cloud/emby/web/index.html, DNT=1, Sec-Ch-Ua=" Not A;Brand";v="99", "Chromium";v="101", "Google Chrome";v="101", Sec-Ch-Ua-Mobile=?0, Sec-Ch-Ua-Platform="Windows", Sec-Fetch-Dest=video, Sec-Fetch-Mode=cors, Sec-Fetch-Site=same-origin, X-Forwarded-For=10.1.1.1, X-Forwarded-Proto=https
2022-04-02 12:47:29.502 Error Server: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.7.0.32
	Command line: C:\Users\<username_obfuscated>\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll -noautorunwebapp
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.19044
	Framework: .NET 6.0.2
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: C:/Users/<username_obfuscated>/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 16
	Data path: C:\Users\<username_obfuscated>\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
	Application path: C:\Users\<username_obfuscated>\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
	System.ArgumentException: System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added. Key: 2
	   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.TryInsert(TKey key, TValue value, InsertionBehavior behavior)
	   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Add(TKey key, TValue value)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Encoder.Demands.DemandsBuilder.BuildDemands(EncodingJobInfo state, EncodingDiagnosticOptions diagnosticOptions)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Encoder.TranscodingCommandBuilder.BuildDemands(EncodingJobInfo state)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Encoder.TranscodingCommandBuilder.GetProgressiveVideoFullCommandLine(EncodingJobInfo state, String outputPath)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.Progressive.VideoService.GetCommandLineArguments(String outputPath, StreamState state)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.Progressive.BaseProgressiveStreamingService.GetStreamResult(StreamState state, IDictionary`2 responseHeaders, Boolean isHeadRequest, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.Progressive.BaseProgressiveStreamingService.ProcessRequest(StreamRequest request, Boolean isHeadRequest)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceController.GetTaskResult(Task task)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, RestPath restPath, String responseContentType, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, ReadOnlyMemory`1 urlString, ReadOnlyMemory`1 localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: System.Private.CoreLib
	TargetSite: Void ThrowAddingDuplicateWithKeyArgumentException[T](T)

2022-04-02 12:47:29.502 Info Server: http/1.1 Response 400 to 10.1.1.1. Time: 6ms. http://host1/emby/Videos/489435/stream.mp4?StartTimeTicks=621355968460000000&VideoCodec=h264&AudioCodec=mp3,aac&VideoBitrate=139616000&AudioBitrate=384000&AudioStreamIndex=1&SubtitleStreamIndex=12&SubtitleMethod=Hls&TranscodingMaxAudioChannels=2&SegmentContainer=m4s,ts&MinSegments=1&BreakOnNonKeyFrames=True&ManifestSubtitles=vtt&h264-profile=high,main,baseline,constrainedbaseline,high10&h264-level=52&TranscodeReasons=AudioCodecNotSupported,DirectPlayError&allowVideoStreamCopy=false&n=1648864049477

Using latest Beta Server (4.7.0.32) + IntroSkip 0.0.1.96

Let me know if you need the full log.

It's the request for the stream that is the problem. It definitely needs some work.

2 hours ago, FrogMaster said:

Oddly, rebooting the entire Jail for a second time seems to have resolved this and I can now select users/tv shows. 
I had done a full reboot on the initial install of the plugin, but I guess it needed another one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sounds like perhaps it was a browser cache issue actually... Maybe...

• Like 3

rbjtech
17 hours ago, chef said:

Thanks @chef . 

@FrogMaster This is where I was heading with the Question if this was the first install, as technically you shouldn't have any cache issues on the first install.   Anyway, glad it's sorted.  For any future updates (DLL install), as a matter of course, please just refresh the browser cache to clear out the old javascript.  

Let us know how you get on - feedback welcome :)

FrogMaster
19 hours ago, chef said:

Once we see how the final integrated version looks, there will most likely be opportunities to recreate the editor with some functionalities like this. 

It's the request for the stream that is the problem. It definitely needs some work.

I'm not so sure it was directly relative to the browser cache, unless there's another cache I'm unaware of within the server itself. 
I had tried to clear my browser cache which didn't have any change to the behavior. after which I did try a couple of different browsers, as well as the Emby Theatre App. All of them displayed the same problem. Even restarting just the Emby services oddly wasn't enough to resolve the problem. 

My IT brain told me, heck why not try restarting the whole system though and sure enough that did it! 

So far, I'm really appreciating the plugin. :) I look forward to when that awesome button that was teased earlier is available!
Thanks for all the effort everyone is putting in. 

• Thanks 1

Cheesegeezer
25 minutes ago, HorsePDF said:

@chef- is the code for this plugin available to review and contribute to?

in a word - no.  The code is has been closed for some time now.  

Can you give a link to your github and public repos so we can review possibly taking you on?

Thanks

Edited by Cheesegeezer

HorsePDF

OK got it, thanks. Wasn't necessarily looking to join the team, I was actually curious about ways to get widespread analytics on success rates with different parameters. More of a curiosity and ideas than core contributions at this stage.

I'm not really sure on the setup of Emby (I recently found it and am enjoying it a lot), I guess I was expecting plugins to be publicly available, even if the core is closed source. Probably a different discussion for a different thread, but this problem made me quite curious.