Show Intro Skip Option

Liquidfire88

samuelqwe
9 minutes ago, maxiniedermeier said:

Would it be possible to use this feature as an OutroSkip🤔

The Intro Skip plugin does have this feature, but the core implementation currently does not.

rbjtech
12 minutes ago, maxiniedermeier said:

If you mean detect Credits - then yes, the Introskip plugin already does this - it allows you to auto-skip them as well.

I'm unclear if the Core version plan to implement this but I hope so as it can then be integrated into the manual 'play next' episode or skip it entirely as the Plugin gives you the option to do.

image.thumb.png.0aa00e1976644cf5110aa82ddd95c3b0.png

Edited by rbjtech

Cheesegeezer
13 minutes ago, maxiniedermeier said:

you mean for credit roll?

chef
5 hours ago, Weevillo said:

Well they're already working on a intro skip feature of some sort, and eyeing audio fingerprinting which is how Emby's plugin works. So from a competitive standpoint being close sourced for now make sense.

Also @chef was wondering about a thing: You stated that the plugin would be free-of-charge in the thread a little while back, but now (from my understanding) it seems like it won't be. We're (well I'm not at least, it's probably the biggest buff Emby's had in a while) angry if that's the case, but could you guys be transparent about it if so would be the case?

That GitHub repo is all placeholders. I wish them luck.

It isn't hard to figure out, but it is time consuming to write it all.

I'm interested on their take. I'm going to star that GitHub repo, and I'll be watching how they do it.

In other words, I'll be watching the code closely... Very closely. 😳

Especially if I see one specific part of our code in there... The one that calculates things as fast as it does. Trust me it could have taken much much longer to scan your libraries if it wasn't for this one piece of code. ... Very closely 😆

As for the integrated version being behind a paywall. The Emby team rebuilt their version of the code.

That code isn't mine. The ideas and logic behind what emby wrote might have been inspired by,  but not our code.

Therefore, I can't comment on how it is implemented, only that I'm very glad that it is.

I completely support further development of the intro skip in it's new direction. 😃

But, I will also keep an eye on how this plugin is received, and maintain it to work with up coming emby releases.

A lot of work went into the plugin, and we (that whole team) didn't ask for a cent.

I'm good with people using it for free. A Tron, for the users sort of thing.

Edited by chef
  • Like 3

Cheesegeezer
15 minutes ago, chef said:

I'm interested on their take. I'm going to star that GitHub repo, and I'll be watching how they do it.

Especially if I see one specific part of our code in there... The one that calculates things as fast as it does. Trust me it could have taken much much longer to scan your libraries if it wasn't for this one piece of code. ... Very closely 😆

As for the integrated version being behind a paywall. The Emby team rebuilt their version of the code.

That code isn't mine. The ideas and logic behind what emby wrote might have been inspired by,  but not my code.

Therefore, I can't comment on how it is implemented, only that I'm very glad that it is.

I completely support further development of the intro skip in it's new direction. 😃

But, I will also keep an eye on how this plugin is received, and maintain it to work with up coming emby releases.

A lot of work went into the plugin, and we (that whole team) didn't ask for a cent.

“the others” are probably panicking now that it’s moved to super closed source. So it wouldn’t surprise me that they have robbed a dll file from this thread and started to decompile. Or from the git hub. 

anyways this thread should be deleted as it’s irrelevant now and github wiki should be sanitised. @rbjtechcan you remove plugin download from wiki please.

what’s your thoughts Chef homey

TeamB
22 minutes ago, chef said:

That code isn't mine. The ideas and logic behind what emby wrote might have been inspired by,  but not my code.

and your code was inspired by other projects, this is the way, always has been always will be. until it gets closed :-/

5 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

anyways this thread should be deleted as it’s irrelevant now and github wiki should be sanitised.

so this is all about Jellyfin

FFS I wish Emby had closed is source way sooner so we were not in this mess. A closed core with fully open plugins was a very good model but now it all just shit, FFS this pisses me off, need to go have my morning coffee, see how I feel about it after that.

chef
1 hour ago, TeamB said:

and your code was inspired by other projects, this is the way, always has been always will be. until it gets closed :-/

Exactly, just like all technology,  but the way the plug was pieced together does belong to us.

There was quite a bit if research that went into getting the detection methods working the way they do, and as fast as they run.

Edited by chef

chef
1 hour ago, Cheesegeezer said:

“the others” are probably panicking now that it’s moved to super closed source. So it wouldn’t surprise me that they have robbed a dll file from this thread and started to decompile. Or from the git hub. 

anyways this thread should be deleted as it’s irrelevant now and github wiki should be sanitised. @rbjtechcan you remove plugin download from wiki please.

what’s your thoughts Chef homey

I think it would make a lot of people unhappy to completely sanitize the plugin.

But, I think diligence is the key here.  

Ffmpeg is open source, the command line that print chromaprint is open source, but the code that calculates everything is not... Well... Technically it is not. The revised c# versions, with all the extras are not.

Emby got an intro skip button. They are the second personal media server to do so in the world! Plex being the first, and not counting the big streaming services. (At least I'm pretty sure).

Now that emby has that, there is no taking it away. That was always kind of the point. To be the next, and we are!

Best to keep the plugin accessible for now, but keep an eye out for familiar code (methods, or specifically bitwise calculations.... You know the one. 😉 )

Edited by chef

TeamB

So I had my morning coffee and had a read back though some of the conversation in this thread, it gets interesting on page 7

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/48304-show-intro-skip-option/page/7/#comment-952200

Switching to audio FP was the turning point.

Analyzing the (int) bit streams and comparing them is an interesting nut to crack but most experienced programmers or data driven people will be capable of it.

Adding functionality to this detection process to use and allow settings, editing, testing is time consuming, probably why the core offering does not offer all the bells and whistles the plugin did as this is a lot of work to do all the UI glue needed.
Writing plugins for Emby is a bit of a pain in the ass tbh.

I guess I am just sad to see a community driven feature like this just get consumed into the main core with nothing left for people to tinker with. I stepped away from this for a while as the ffmpeg chromaprint module was taking ages to be released, I was going to come back it to in time to see if audio FP could be used for other interesting detection projects. I guess that is still possible, the core learning is still here, applying them to other sorts of plugins and projects is still possible.

Edited by TeamB

chef
19 minutes ago, TeamB said:

So I had my morning coffee and had a read back though some of the conversation in this thread, it gets interesting on page 7

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/48304-show-intro-skip-option/page/7/#comment-952200

Switching to audio FP was the turning point.

Analyzing the (int) bit streams and comparing them is an interesting nut to crack but most experienced programmers or data driven people will be capable of it.

Adding functionality to this detection process to use and allow settings, editing, testing is time consuming, probably why the core offering does not offer all the bells and whistles the plugin did as this is a lot of work to do all the UI glue needed.
Writing plugins for Emby is a bit of a pain in the ass tbh.

I guess I am just sad to see a community driven feature like this just get consumed into the main core with nothing left for people to tinker with. I stepped away from this for a while as the ffmpeg chromaprint module was taking ages to be released, I was going to come back it to in time to see if audio FP could be used for other interesting detection projects. I guess that is still possible, the core learning is still here, applying them to other sorts of plugins and projects is still possible.

Yup. That's it.

You have to read the binary data, then compare those unsigned integer arrays in a way that makes sense over time.

Edited by chef

TeamB
1 hour ago, chef said:

You have to read the binary data, then compare those unsigned integer arrays in a way that makes sense over time.

yes I know, I was there, I posted some examples of how to do it at the time.

I might pick this up again at some point, it was an interesting data problem to solve.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Amanade3

The plugin works just fine, but a quick question. in the plugin settings it doesn't show "delay auto skip duration" just like shown in your wiki page. I wanted to delay the auto skipping process just by a few seconds so that I know I don't miss anything. Sometimes it just skips before the intro starts while the people on the show are talking or doing something. 

DragonSkills99
On 4/20/2022 at 12:16 AM, chef said:

That code isn't mine. The ideas and logic behind what emby wrote might have been inspired by,  but not our code.

@chef

sorry if it was already stated somewhere, but I really don't want to read a full 130 pages of this thread.

You're telling something about an integrated version behind a paywall. Is that a version of an intro-skip plugin? and ist that paywall mentioned "Emby Premiere"? If yes, how do I activate it?

Aaaand most importantly does it also work with Emby Theater for Windows and Android? (I don't wanna use the browser for watching, as it can't play hevc, without reencoding. That will result in sloppy movements for fast fights and such, so I'm sticking with Theater, that has hevc support. Well and I'm using hevc because the files are way smaller than with h264)

Edited by DragonSkills99

Cheesegeezer
16 minutes ago, DragonSkills99 said:

@chef

sorry if it was already stated somewhere, but I really don't want to read a full 130 pages of this thread.

You're telling something about an integrated version behind a paywall. Is that a version of an intro-skip plugin? and ist that paywall mentioned "Emby Premiere"? If yes, how do I activate it?

the plugin is most advanced at the moment, the core version is just integrating the introskip at the minute. The core version is behind the paywall where as the plugin isn’t 

16 minutes ago, DragonSkills99 said:

Aaaand most importantly does it also work with Emby Theater for Windows and Android? (I don't wanna use the browser for watching, as it can't play hevc, without reencoding. That will result in sloppy movements for fast fights and such, so I'm sticking with Theater, that has hevc support. Well and I'm using hevc because the files are way smaller than with h264)

The button appears in all clients, not the prettiest. Please read the wiki for the plugin for more info on how that works, the core is a hidden feature

Cheesegeezer

Also if you wanna catchup you need only read the last 15 or 10 pages

DragonSkills99

@Cheesegeezer yeah I did ask if that paywall is "Emby Premiere", cause I've already got Premiere LT so in that case I would have access, and if not, I will try the plugin you mentioned. But is it the one in the git-repo of "mueslimak3r", is it maybe in the catalogue and I just didn't find it or is it somewhere else, and if it is somewhere else where is it?

Edit: Guess I found it on page 116, the question 'bout the paywall still remains

Edited by DragonSkills99

Cheesegeezer
1 hour ago, DragonSkills99 said:

@Cheesegeezer yeah I did ask if that paywall is "Emby Premiere", cause I've already got Premiere LT so in that case I would have access, and if not, I will try the plugin you mentioned. But is it the one in the git-repo of "mueslimak3r", is it maybe in the catalogue and I just didn't find it or is it somewhere else, and if it is somewhere else where is it?

Edit: Guess I found it on page 116, the question 'bout the paywall still remains

Its right below this topic 

samuelqwe
1 hour ago, DragonSkills99 said:

the question 'bout the paywall still remains

Yes, the paywall is indeed Emby Premiere

DragonSkills99

Thanks @samuelqwe then my only remaining question for now, is if I get that core-version automatically since I already have premiere activated on my server instance or if I have to do smth for that? (I may answer tomorrow, if necessary, as it's really late for today...)

Cheesegeezer
38 minutes ago, DragonSkills99 said:

Thanks @samuelqwe then my only remaining question for now, is if I get that core-version automatically since I already have premiere activated on my server instance or if I have to do smth for that? (I may answer tomorrow, if necessary, as it's really late for today...)

You can have either version. If you have emby premiere.

do you understand the difference between the plugin and core?

samuelqwe
2 hours ago, DragonSkills99 said:

You’re going to have to manually enable that. I presume it will be a per library setting eventually, but as of right now it’s completely hidden since it’s still being tested. Once it’s fully released it should be as simple as turning on a switch and running the detection task.

Amanade3

@chefThe plugin works just fine, but a quick question. in the plugin settings it doesn't show "delay auto skip duration" just like shown in your wiki page. I wanted to delay the auto skipping process just by a few seconds so that I know I don't miss anything. Sometimes it just skips before the intro starts while the people on the show are talking or doing something. 

Capture21.PNG

Edited by Amanade3

DragonSkills99
6 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

You can have either version. If you have emby premiere.

do you understand the difference between the plugin and core?

As already stated yes I have Premiere LifeTime.

As for your question, generally spesking I could imagine and thought, the core would be something used by the plugin, but I'm not really sure if that's it in this case too...

DragonSkills99

@Cheesegeezer well the report site could get a little fixing for mobile devices as I can't move sidewards (where the credits progress bar is hidden)

And whats going on with all that warning symbols? Or will they disappear after the first detection is completed?

Screenshot_20220502-071427_Chrome.jpg

rbjtech
6 hours ago, Amanade3 said:

@chefThe plugin works just fine, but a quick question. in the plugin settings it doesn't show "delay auto skip duration" just like shown in your wiki page. I wanted to delay the auto skipping process just by a few seconds so that I know I don't miss anything. Sometimes it just skips before the intro starts while the people on the show are talking or doing something. 

Capture21.PNG

Hi - thanks for posting this - I need to update the Wiki - that must have been an old screen grab in the wiki ..  ;)

This feature was in one of the earlier Beta's but was taken out - I can't remember why now  - because it's a needed feature as you say.

The idea was to add the 'delay' to the detected IntroStart time, so you always play a bit of the Intro as you say just to 'make sure' and also use the same value to leave some of the Intro before new content starts.  ie 1000ms - plays 1 second of Intro at the start and then skip jumps but leaves 1 second at the end as well.

The downside of doing this is the auto-skip will be very 'harsh' with no chance of it being a seamless skip.

The Core is unlikely to have this level of extra/useful functionality - so maybe after the dust has settled, we can put this back in..  ?

@chef

@Cheesegeezer

image.png.61ee47cae761c5d1b7c27d37d3709bfe.png

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1