Show Intro Skip Option

Liquidfire88

seanbuff
4 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

The idea was to add the 'delay' to the detected IntroStart time, so you always play a bit of the Intro as you say just to 'make sure'.

Yeah it's a good feature to have, I have noticed some shows (eg. The Walking Dead) start playing the regular intro music a few seconds before the intro starts during crucial spots. Of course the plugin picks this up as the intro and adds the marker a bit too early. Easy to fix up with the editor, but would be nice to have some control.

• Agree 1

rbjtech
5 hours ago, DragonSkills99 said:

@Cheesegeezer well the report site could get a little fixing for mobile devices as I can't move sidewards (where the credits progress bar is hidden)

And whats going on with all that warning symbols? Or will they disappear after the first detection is completed?

Screenshot_20220502-071427_Chrome.jpg

Hi - Any further development on the plugin has halted for the time being until we understand what is being included in the Core version.

We are almost certain that statistics will not be included in the Core.

The idea (which definitely needs more work btw) is to highlight possible errors based on probability.    ie If a show has well defined Intro's - but one of them is missing (excluding episode 1) then there is a good possibility it has not been detected - thus it is highlighted by the Exclamation Mark.

On a big collection, it is invaluable to see and filter by this info so you can investigate the possible issue.

We started on this logic - but never got around to finishing it unfortunately ... :(

• Agree 1

Amanade3
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Hi - thanks for posting this - I need to update the Wiki - that must have been an old screen grab in the wiki ..  ;)

This feature was in one of the earlier Beta's but was taken out - I can't remember why now  - because it's a needed feature as you say.

The idea was to add the 'delay' to the detected IntroStart time, so you always play a bit of the Intro as you say just to 'make sure' and also use the same value to leave some of the Intro before new content starts.  ie 1000ms - plays 1 second of Intro at the start and then skip jumps but leaves 1 second at the end as well.

The downside of doing this is the auto-skip will be very 'harsh' with no chance of it being a seamless skip.

The Core is unlikely to have this level of extra/useful functionality - so maybe after the dust has settled, we can put this back in..  ?

@chef

@Cheesegeezer

image.png.61ee47cae761c5d1b7c27d37d3709bfe.png

So I would like to see this feature in your next update. Well there is a core version on the way but its gonna be available only for emby premiere subscription so I'm just gonna keep using your plugin. Thanks for making it free btw I know you put a lot of effort in it. The core version might be superior in some aspects but I would say the plugin does what its supposed to do and that's what matters, So don't abandon this project I wanna see more improvement in the future.

Edited by Amanade3

Cheesegeezer
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Any further development on the plugin has halted for the time being until we understand what is being included in the Core version.

@Amanade3

Thanks, please see the quote from RBJ above.

Cheers

chef
3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Hi - thanks for posting this - I need to update the Wiki - that must have been an old screen grab in the wiki ..  ;)

This feature was in one of the earlier Beta's but was taken out - I can't remember why now  - because it's a needed feature as you say.

The idea was to add the 'delay' to the detected IntroStart time, so you always play a bit of the Intro as you say just to 'make sure' and also use the same value to leave some of the Intro before new content starts.  ie 1000ms - plays 1 second of Intro at the start and then skip jumps but leaves 1 second at the end as well.

The downside of doing this is the auto-skip will be very 'harsh' with no chance of it being a seamless skip.

The Core is unlikely to have this level of extra/useful functionality - so maybe after the dust has settled, we can put this back in..  ?

@chef

@Cheesegeezer

image.png.61ee47cae761c5d1b7c27d37d3709bfe.png

:) I don't remember exactly why it was removed. Something tells me we had to intercept the PlaybackProgressEvent, and there wasn't way to make the delay exactly what was in the input.

The event might fire just after the inputted time, and I think we were trying to avoid  any extra issues and complaints at the time.

If it is with the understanding that the delay would happen around the time of the intro, and not exactly perfect, we can totally put it back in.

I'm just not interested in the possibility of having to repeatedly explain why the delay isn't exactly when the user wants it. But I definitely understand the utility of the option.

So if we release a fix with some of the feature requests made recently, and this option is added back in... I'm gonna point users back to this comment if we hear anything about it. 

The programmer in me is wearing a little thin, due to some of recent events surrounding plugin-in development, but I'm totally game to update some features ... mostly because @rbjtech  believes in this plugin, and champions it 😆 👍

I just don't want the code dissected, reworded, and posted all over the community. that is what takes all the fun out of it.

I realize what I say here subverts the halt of development. But, if Rich says go for it, I'll go for it. 

Edited by chef
  • Like 3

Cheesegeezer

@chef

We love you fella! Keep your chin up and we can keep pushing some amazing stuff.  

i need to get VantagePoint fully functional again, but then i'll be with you.

:D :D :D 

• Agree 2

DragonSkills99

Why is the list of users empty? Or is the feature activated somewhere else? image.thumb.png.c337dc9e9bf6c6bb3d3f8e469f0a7e48.png

chef
10 minutes ago, DragonSkills99 said:

Why is the list of users empty? Or is the feature activated somewhere else? image.thumb.png.c337dc9e9bf6c6bb3d3f8e469f0a7e48.png

Did you add all the users to the auto skip list?

If so, they get removed from the selection box as they are added to the list.

DragonSkills99

Maybe I shouldn't have cut it there, no I didn't add anyone as there never was anyone to add, but also no entry to delete... both lists are just simply empty...image.thumb.png.bf0c303ccfc7ed69358f951fb0db7110.png

DragonSkills99

And there has to be at least one user (me) in one of those lists, as otherwise I couldn't be logged in ;)

chef
10 minutes ago, DragonSkills99 said:

And there has to be at least one user (me) in one of those lists, as otherwise I couldn't be logged in ;)

Yes. Something is definitely strange there.

It should certainly show all the users on your server.

Which browser are you currently using? Chrome?

chef

@rbjtech are you also seeing broken user lists in auto skip?

I've had some bad luck offering tech support lately. I just want to make sure I'm about to offer something helpful.

DragonSkills99
21 minutes ago, chef said:

Yes. Something is definitely strange there.

It should certainly show all the users on your server.

Which browser are you currently using? Chrome?

Yeah Chrome, should I try smth different?

Firefox?

Edge (not different than Chrome though, cause it uses Chromium)?

IE (Not recommended as it is not supported anymore...)?

Edited by DragonSkills99

DragonSkills99

Ok, just tried FireFox, and the result is the same...

chef
59 minutes ago, DragonSkills99 said:

Ok, just tried FireFox, and the result is the same...

Lets see what @rbjtech says.

We could try a couple things...

Are you familiar with the dev console in chrome?

Right click > inspect

Are there any errors in the console you notice?

We could also clear browsing data and reload the page.

If the list is still empty. I will load the project and see if there is something that has changed recently that would cause this. 😃

DragonSkills99

Ok thanks for the reply,

for your question of me being familiar with the chrome dev console (ctrl + shift + i), I had my way with developing websites, web apps and hybrid apps so I'm quite familiar with it 😉

Currently just my Computer is off (it's 23:39 here) and I'm off to sleep so I will try it tomorrow most likely after work ^^

Edited by DragonSkills99

chef
1 hour ago, DragonSkills99 said:

Ok thanks for the reply,

for your question of me being familiar with the chrome dev console (ctrl + shift + i), I had my way with developing websites, web apps and hybrid apps so I'm quite familiar with it 😉

Currently just my Computer is off (it's 23:39 here) and I'm off to sleep so I will try it tomorrow most likely after work ^^

Okay cool! Ive had some bad experiences trying to help. I guess I must have expected a level of technical knowledge from users in the past and they end up getting frustrated with me. 😬

Good news is I don't have to worry about that, you know stuff 😃

So..  👍 it sounds like perhaps the async function requesting the user data from the backend (through the ApiClient) is failing either with the promised data, or while reading the data back to the select box.

It was the first time I had ever attempted removing user names from a select box as they were added to a list (a feature request).

Let me load this beast in my beta server and see what in the world has changed...

Oh! Are you on beta server? 

Thanks again for taking the time to report this! 👍

seanbuff

The empty user list was something that was raised back in Jan this year ...

The fix for that user then was a reboot, but @rbjtech also mentioned a browser cache clear would have done it too. Worth a shot. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Cheesegeezer
10 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

The fix for that user then was a reboot, but @rbjtech also mentioned a browser cache clear would have done it too. Worth a shot. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Ooo good thinking, however that would have been for the UI feature at the time, I’ve moved to edge now, where i have a setting that clears only the cache properly after closing all browser windows, chrome doesn’t have that individual feature yet. 

Still worth a shot for sure.

@chef clear those cobwebs out lol 😂 you want be to jump on and check? I have the code for populating clients and saving them in VantagePoint. Same thing for users i would imagine. Not sure if you can use the public users api, for getting a list of available users and display that (whats used on login pages)

question for @DragonSkills99 are your users hidden at all? This might be an issue. looks like you’re UK based, same as me. 

its 00:50 here so I’ll look tomorrow. 

DragonSkills99
6 hours ago, chef said:

Okay cool! Ive had some bad experiences trying to help. I guess I must have expected a level of technical knowledge from users in the past and they end up getting frustrated with me. 😬

Good news is I don't have to worry about that, you know stuff 😃

So..  👍 it sounds like perhaps the async function requesting the user data from the backend (through the ApiClient) is failing either with the promised data, or while reading the data back to the select box.

It was the first time I had ever attempted removing user names from a select box as they were added to a list (a feature request).

Let me load this beast in my beta server and see what in the world has changed...

Oh! Are you on beta server? 

Thanks again for taking the time to report this! 👍

Idk if its the beta, I've got the version from the synology store, so I guess not.

5 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Ooo good thinking, however that would have been for the UI feature at the time, I’ve moved to edge now, where i have a setting that clears only the cache properly after closing all browser windows, chrome doesn’t have that individual feature yet. 

Still worth a shot for sure.

@chef clear those cobwebs out lol 😂 you want be to jump on and check? I have the code for populating clients and saving them in VantagePoint. Same thing for users i would imagine. Not sure if you can use the public users api, for getting a list of available users and display that (whats used on login pages)

question for @DragonSkills99 are your users hidden at all? This might be an issue. looks like you’re UK based, same as me. 

its 00:50 here so I’ll look tomorrow. 

Yeah all Users are hidden from login screen, I don't wan't them to pop up there. And no I'm not UK but Germany based 😉

5 hours ago, seanbuff said:

Well I may give it a shot, thanks

DragonSkills99

Ok I found some error in the console:

1. image.thumb.png.c25da43e8224f4cdff0bd83894fe1490.png

https://<emby-server>/web/configurationpage?name=AutoSkipConfigurationPageJS&v=4.6.7.0

And there is also a WebSocket error most likely due to the fact, that I'm using a reverse Proxy and did't set that up in the network tab of emby because I don't know what I could break if I would...

seanbuff
6 minutes ago, DragonSkills99 said:

Ok, a restart did the trick... -.-

I recall that also fixed it for me when I too experienced the empty user list. Glad you got it sorted. 👍🏽

DragonSkills99

Okay, but the problem, that I'm not offered to skip the intro, still remains...

I've analysed all series, the episode I tried it with has an intro from 0:00 - 1:35 and the plugin also recognized and saved that.

My User is also added to the Auto-Skip Users-List, the only error in the console is the websocket error, I guess thats not related.

But I'm still not getting any skip buttons or such displayed (tried it in Chrome but also the Android Emby APP)

What am I doing wrong?

DragonSkills99

As for the restart doing the trick, I could have guessed it, but Linux Systems aren't that dependent on restart like Windows Systems, but then again Emby was developed using .NET whats from the same devs as Windows -.- And I know myself veeery good how sloppy some of the Microsoft-Devs can be... Exact details are a company secret, but I had my fun working together with MS in a Project onec (a program we requested from MS)