Emby Theater for Linux

xnappo

daldana

Thanks @alucryd!

I've tried the latest deb and this is what I've seen. BTW, I'm using a Pi 3 Model B rev. 1.2, I really should get a Pi 4 for testing.

1. In the initial configuration, everything set to Auto, there is no video or audio.

2. The only way I can get video and audio is to use mpv.conf with vo=gpu and gpu-context=x11egl as you stated in your post. The video is quite smooth (although I had to disable deinterlacing to get it really smooth) with only a little tearing, but I cannot get the osd to show up at all. I can see the mouse cursor, but no osd. This happens in bothe Live TV and when watching a movie. Is that a layer that can't be brought up front?

3. Still no hardware acceleration no matter what settings I use.

4. Is the unofficial driver you mention the rpi-vk-driver released in June 2020? I was going to give that a shot, but if you already have, no need.

Thanks for all of your work. Logs attached.

Theater_mpv_log_All_Auto.txt Theater_mpv_log_Live_TV.txt Theater_mpv_log_Movie.txt

alucryd

Thanks for the testing. I was indeed referring to that vulkan driver. I think you got no video when all auto because it still tries to use mmal, but it seems like a lost cause in mpv these days. What happens if you force hwdec=v4l2m2m-copy?

I'm currently testing on a 64bit image on the exact same pi 3B, I'll try the 32bit version again, and definitely get rid of mmal, see how that fares.

Edited by alucryd

daldana

Yup, I think you're right about the mmal driver which seems strange since their devs seem to like that better than the v4l2m2m driver.

Anyway, no change forcing hwdec=v4l2m2m-copy or hwdec=h264_v4l2m2m-copy, still no osd or acceleration.

But seriously, the video is 100 times better than it was before, very smooth. Watching the crawler on the bottom of most newscasts is continuous now, not the stop/start stuttering it used to have and the whole picture is much cleaner. Great work!

• 5 weeks later...
OurfamilySpot
On 9/15/2021 at 1:52 PM, Luke said:

New packages are headed up to the download page of our website:

https://emby.media/download

By this afternoon we'll have Emby Theater packages available for the following:

• Ubuntu / Debian via our .debs
  • RPI dedicated image
  • RPMs for Fedora, CentOS, OpenSuse
  • Flatpak
  • Snap
  • QNAP

So stay tuned to the Linux and RPI download pages under the Emby Apps download section, and we'll be adding a new QNAP page as well.

Please try them out and report your experience. Thanks everyone.

Curious if there was an ETA for the RPI full system image update?

3 minutes ago, OurfamilySpot said:

Curious if there was an ETA for the RPI full system image update?

It's still in progress. We will be revamping it, and as of now it looks like it will be based on this: https://github.com/RPi-Distro/pi-gen

But we've had to prioritize work for the server ahead of this, so that's why we haven't completed it yet.

• Like 1

daldana

@luke,

I installed the latest (had to use the "--dangerous" switch to install) and it does not start automatically when I reboot. Unfortunately, I can't find the executable to run in after logging in either.

daldana

Forgot to mention that I tried opening with snap command in terminal and got error messages about "xxx cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file: ignored". The last error message says "/snap/emby-theater/x1/emby-theater...No such file or directory.

• 1 month later...
daldana

@luke,

I need to be able to launch a browser window to accept an initial window before I can access the internet, is there a way to do this with this image? If I try to open a second session and use the command line, chromium will not open. Thanks for your help.

alucryd

@daldana emby theater is just a fullscreen window, you can run a browser if you close or minimize it and then right click on the empty desktop (this is regular openbox).

daldana

Ok, I was able to get a wifi connection and test this build out. It wasn't as smooth as the earlier version though, no matter what settings I tried. With everything set on Auto in the Video settings, there was any hw acceleration and the video was very jerky. With hw acceleration set to Auto Copy-back, V4l2m2m was working but the video was still quite jerky. In Stats for Nerds, a lot of frames were being dropped.

I couldn't find a location where an mpv.conf file might be located so I couldn't check any log. Any thing I can try to help troubleshoot?

Attached is the ffmpeg log from the server if it helps at all.

ffmpeg-transcode-a6aa0adf-5185-4eff-adc8-64a559197776_1.txt

alucryd

@daldana The armhf image will be downgraded to the previous debian version. The Pi Foundation itself realised the newer one was way worse and now offers 2 options, I'll use the legacy option for armhf, and the current one for aarch64 exclusively for the rpi4.

daldana

@alucryd

FYI, the posted image runs a lot better with a change in raspi-config and Emby app settings changes. In raspi-config, there is a new item under the Advanced Options, it's called Glamor. Enabling the glamor graphics acceleration helps. Then in Emby, changing hw acceleration to Auto (copy back) and changing the Enable deinterlacing option to No, it' pretty good and watchable.

Again, I'm on a very slow wifi (I have to set the Playback to 720p- 2 Mbps) so hopefully on a faster connection or wired connection it will be even better.

alucryd

Yeah, also noticed enabling glamor improved things substantially, but still felt like a step back compared to the previous version according to my very subjective testing. I hope I can produce a legacy image over the weekend.

And if anyone can test the aarch64 image on a pi 4 that would be cool, I'd especially like to know if vulkan is working using the mesa driver.

starfury
6 hours ago, alucryd said:

And if anyone can test the aarch64 image on a pi 4 that would be cool, I'd especially like to know if vulkan is working using the mesa driver.

I gave it a try using the arm64 image in Luke's post (Dec. 3) above.  Emby Theater does not start correctly.

New Pi4 4GB, new 32GB SD card.

It could be operator error, so here are the steps I followed:

1. Downloaded the arm64 image.
  2. Wrote image to SD card using balenaEtcher on MacOS
  3. Booted Pi.
  4. Pi starts up and an orange background appears with a black rectangle in the center.  The first run setup window for the OS is hidden behind the black rectangle.
  5. Alt-Tab to get the above setup window in the foreground and step through the configuration, including installing updates.
  6. Reboot after updates are installed.
  7. Pi again starts up to an orange background with a black rectangle in the center.

I have no idea if I missed a step somewhere or if something is missing from the image or what.  I'm comfortable working at the command line so I can dive in and tweak/install things if needed, but you'll have to tell me what to do.

mprasil
On 10/25/2021 at 10:09 PM, Luticus said:

Sorry, not sure where exactly to ask this, but I was trying to solve the minimize, maximize, close buttons staying visible during playback on version 3.0.15, so I went and got a new copy from https://emby.media/emby-theater-linux.html and installed it as another forum I read suggested. I noticed that one installs as version 3.0.15-1, but the problem is when I install that version playback doesn't seem to work anymore. I get this error:  fs access result for path: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory <some path/filename>

If I downgrade to the old 3.0.15, sure enough playback is fixed. I'm running Debian 11 Bullseye and no dependencies seem to be missing.

Any advice would be very appreciated! Thanks!

I'm experiencing the same issue on multiple different devices. The previous version (3.0.14) plays everything fine, the latest version 3.0.15 does not. I tried to enable mpv logs:

$ cat .config/mpv/mpv.conf 
log-file=/tmp/mpv.log

But that does not work either, no log file is generated. (this used to work previously also) It seems that there might be some issue even before the playback is attempted as I don't see any attempt to play the media on server side. Is there any way to troubleshoot further on the client?

BurntTech

I just started setting another Linux Client with Emby on it. I noticed I think i've got a few thing causing issues so I wanted see if there is any recommend settings I should start with? I'm working on getting the logs per issue. To get to the goal should I be changing to different settings or start dumping logs audio pass through issue and Intel Graphics not working? When I reference fail that is Emby Theater spins with a popup with a crash (references Epoll but I would need to grab the logs for full stacks).

Goal: The hope was to use Vaapi with the intel HD 4600 GPU to play 1080p movies. Checking https://01.org/linuxmedia/vaapi shows this should be supported

Specs:

OS Ubuntu 20.04

Emby Theater 3.0.15 for Deb packages

4th Gen Intel 4760k i5 with intel Graphics HD 4600

16gb RAM

No GPU Tested running on 1080p screen

• All Defaults (Auto)
    • Works with 480p
    • Fails for 1080p/4k
  • Enabled Audio Pass through for All Codecs
    • Fails to play any audio > 5.1
  • Disabled Hardware Acceleration
    • 480p/1080p/4k play but can be choppy

alucryd
On 1/13/2022 at 12:27 AM, starfury said:

I gave it a try using the arm64 image in Luke's post (Dec. 3) above.  Emby Theater does not start correctly.

New Pi4 4GB, new 32GB SD card.

It could be operator error, so here are the steps I followed:

1. Downloaded the arm64 image.
  2. Wrote image to SD card using balenaEtcher on MacOS
  3. Booted Pi.
  4. Pi starts up and an orange background appears with a black rectangle in the center.  The first run setup window for the OS is hidden behind the black rectangle.
  5. Alt-Tab to get the above setup window in the foreground and step through the configuration, including installing updates.
  6. Reboot after updates are installed.
  7. Pi again starts up to an orange background with a black rectangle in the center.

I have no idea if I missed a step somewhere or if something is missing from the image or what.  I'm comfortable working at the command line so I can dive in and tweak/install things if needed, but you'll have to tell me what to do.

Thanks for testing, I don't think you did anything wrong. Unfortunately it's really hard to find an RPI 4 these days so I haven't be able to try on the 4 yet. All I can find are 2gigs models, I'd like at least 4 in case 2 isn't enough for the electron app, the OS and the shared video memory for hardware acceleration. I'll keep an eye out and get back to you asap.

alucryd
21 hours ago, mprasil said:

I'm experiencing the same issue on multiple different devices. The previous version (3.0.14) plays everything fine, the latest version 3.0.15 does not. I tried to enable mpv logs:

$ cat .config/mpv/mpv.conf 
log-file=/tmp/mpv.log

But that does not work either, no log file is generated. (this used to work previously also) It seems that there might be some issue even before the playback is attempted as I don't see any attempt to play the media on server side. Is there any way to troubleshoot further on the client?

@Luke Does theater use native paths over samba or is it http(s) only?

alucryd
13 hours ago, BurntTech said:

I just started setting another Linux Client with Emby on it. I noticed I think i've got a few thing causing issues so I wanted see if there is any recommend settings I should start with? I'm working on getting the logs per issue. To get to the goal should I be changing to different settings or start dumping logs audio pass through issue and Intel Graphics not working? When I reference fail that is Emby Theater spins with a popup with a crash (references Epoll but I would need to grab the logs for full stacks).

Goal: The hope was to use Vaapi with the intel HD 4600 GPU to play 1080p movies. Checking https://01.org/linuxmedia/vaapi shows this should be supported

Specs:

OS Ubuntu 20.04

Emby Theater 3.0.15 for Deb packages

4th Gen Intel 4760k i5 with intel Graphics HD 4600

16gb RAM

No GPU Tested running on 1080p screen

• All Defaults (Auto)
    • Works with 480p
    • Fails for 1080p/4k
  • Enabled Audio Pass through for All Codecs
    • Fails to play any audio > 5.1
  • Disabled Hardware Acceleration
    • 480p/1080p/4k play but can be choppy

Do you have either i965-va-driver or intel-media-va-driver installed? What's the output of the `vainfo` command (you may need to install the corresponding package) ?

The ubuntu wiki also recommends installing libvdpau-va-gl1, but I fail to see why that would be needed.