Emby Theater for Linux

xnappo

Hi, Do you have a different TV you could connect the Pi to and test?
How about a different device that support CEC you you use on the current TV?

Likely it's a process of elimination to see where the problem is.

Guest worthington_j
58 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hi, Do you have a different TV you could connect the Pi to and test?
How about a different device that support CEC you you use on the current TV?

Likely it's a process of elimination to see where the problem is.

I tried a 2nd TV which is a different brand and I'm seeing the same issue. Below is a run down of what doesn't work and what I can do to make it start working.

I select my Movies folder and press the ok button with the remote and it takes me into movies

Once in my Movies folder I'm unable to use the back button on the remote to go back to the home screen

I can use the remote to go to my profile at the top and select CEC however I'm not able to press the ok button for the CEC menu to drop down

Now that I'm stuck I can use a mouse and click the CEC to get the drop down and select anything (what I select doesn't matter) so for example going to 1 from automatic

After selecting 1 I can start using my remote again. The back button and ok button works in all menus.  It seems to continue working until I close the app

I installed Kodi on the same Raspberry Pi and I'm not seeing any issues with CEC inside of Kodi.

Edited by worthington_j

Der R

I'm currently on Fedora 34, and I've tried all sorts of things to get Emby Theater to work, among other things converting the deb file and compiling the program from scratch. But I haven't been able to make it work. Any chance you could publish a flatpak, or an app image for that matter, so we can use Emby Theater on just about any distro, not just Ubuntu or Pi? Or could you at least give detailed instructions for compiling the program on current distros?

Apart from that, great work!

R.

• Agree 2

OurfamilySpot

Hi, I am looking for a recommendation on what's the best way to get a RPi4 Running as a Emby Theater client.    I tried the RPi Image in the first post and the navigation just doesn't work and it lags.    Can someone that has been successful share what Distro they used and how they installed?

adrianwi

I've used it on Twister OS and it's fine, although I don't use as a day-to-day solution.  

SilaquiNailo

Hello, everyone. I started to use a rpi4 with Emby Theater yesterday. I installed a fresh Raspian OS (32bit) from the official website and download the latest ET from the link on page 1. 

It seems fine when playing most 1080p HEVC videos.

However, for some videos that contain 6ch audio (e.g. EAC3 6ch), the playback becomes very choppy and the video and audio are out of sync.

I have searched in this topic but did not find any related information. I will appreciate if any suggestions are provided.

PS: I will try to switch to ALSA from pulseaudio if I have any time tonight.

On 6/1/2021 at 2:35 PM, OurfamilySpot said:

can I ask if the RaspberryPI image linked in the first post is for all Models of RP? Does it have hardware decoding enabled that will work on the RPI4?

Raspberry Pi Image

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron/releases/download/3.0.15/emby-theater-rpi_3.0.15.zip

RPI3 and RPI4 are supported. Hardware decoding is enabled.

• 3 weeks later...
Luticus

Apologies if this was mentioned somewhere before, but 3.15 Linux Emby Theater doesn't seem to stream on Debian 10 Buster, but does seem to on Debian 11 Bullseye. I'm not sure if I'm just missing a package that theater 3.15 needs that 3.12 did not, but when I upgrade to 3.15 none of my buster systems can stream anymore, but a few bullseye test systems work on 3.15 just fine. If I downgrade, streaming is restored. Interestingly all other features of Emby Theater seem to work fine, it just can't play anything. I've testing systems with different video cards, integrated and discrete, and that doesn't seem to be the culprit. The only common denominator for 3.15 working is if the system is on Bullseye or not. This probably won't be an issue for long anyway as Bullseye will probably become the new stable not long from now, but I thought people should know, and I was curious if others had the same issue.

Edited by Luticus

On 6/21/2021 at 2:43 PM, Luticus said:

Apologies if this was mentioned somewhere before, but 3.15 Linux Emby Theater doesn't seem to stream on Debian 10 Buster, but does seem to on Debian 11 Bullseye. I'm not sure if I'm just missing a package that theater 3.15 needs that 3.12 did not, but when I upgrade to 3.15 none of my buster systems can stream anymore, but a few bullseye test systems work on 3.15 just fine. If I downgrade, streaming is restored. Interestingly all other features of Emby Theater seem to work fine, it just can't play anything. I've testing systems with different video cards, integrated and discrete, and that doesn't seem to be the culprit. The only common denominator for 3.15 working is if the system is on Bullseye or not. This probably won't be an issue for long anyway as Bullseye will probably become the new stable not long from now, but I thought people should know, and I was curious if others had the same issue.

Hi, can you try running it from a terminal and provide the console output? Thanks.

Luticus

@Luke, it actually looks pretty normal:

(emby-theater:54924): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:34:11.982: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:127:35: The style property GtkButton:child-displacement-x is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(emby-theater:54924): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:34:11.982: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:128:35: The style property GtkButton:child-displacement-y is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(emby-theater:54924): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:34:11.982: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:132:46: The style property GtkScrolledWindow:scrollbars-within-bevel is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version
Initializing cec-client...

{
  cecExePath: 'cec-client',
  cecEmitter: EventEmitter {
    _events: [Object: null prototype] {},
    _eventsCount: 0,
    _maxListeners: undefined
  },
  cecHdmiPort: 'null'
}
UDP Client listening on 0.0.0.0:34920
starting udp receive timer with timeout ms: 1000
cec-client exited with code 1
timer expired 0 servers received
[]

• 2 weeks later...
OurfamilySpot
On 6/5/2021 at 10:52 AM, Luke said:

RPI3 and RPI4 are supported. Hardware decoding is enabled.

Respectfully....    Just so I don't keep getting frustrated with this.   I re-downloaded the image from the first post.   Used the Raspberry PI Imager to put it on a SD Card.   Installed it in a 8GB Raspberry Pi 4, plugged in a ethernet cable, HDMI, and power.  Turned it on.   It booted to the EMBY interface, it found and showed my server, I was able to slowly navigate to a movie select it and start playback.  It was extremely choppy, and not that watchable.   Is this the expected experience right now for this?   Is this a known issue and being worked?   I don't want to fight this if and feel I am.    Give this is a provided image and nothing isn't stock.   Is there something/settings I need to change?    How do I get this to playback smoothly and navigate smoothly?

Or do I need to wait for a new release???

Thanks 

bigernie71

Emby Theater 3.0.15
WIndows 10 and Ubuntu 20.04 VM on Unraid with Nvidia GPU passthrough

When playing any video on either OS, I get an infinite spinning circle. I cannot navigate away or access Settings. I must choose exit. My main OS is Ubuntu 20.04. I installed Windows 10 to see if it was an issue with Ubuntu but have the same issue.
Web Browser, Kodi, and Jellyfin media player playback works fine. Emby theater used to work with Ubuntu but I do not have a timeline or a version when it stopped working.
I have attached mpv.log. Please let me know if you require additional logs or information.

mpv.log

Edited by bigernie71
added Jellyfin media player testing

• 4 weeks later...
Mkilbride

With the Steam Deck, I see this suddenly becoming more popular .It'd be great to get a version of it hosted on Steam. They're talking about Plex doing the same.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mkilbride said:

With the Steam Deck, I see this suddenly becoming more popular .It'd be great to get a version of it hosted on Steam. They're talking about Plex doing the same.

Agreed. Thanks.

• Like 1

hcgonzalezpr
On 8/22/2020 at 12:54 AM, dedyms said:

I'm emptying the config mpv.conf, except the logging and the hwdec=vaapi.

I got interesting lines from emby, yet mpv from repo work fine, afaik i used to get this error because mpv too old need update and recompiled againsts new library, CMIIW.

[   0.323][d][ffmpeg] AVHWDeviceContext: Trying to use DRM render node for device 0.
[   0.323][d][ffmpeg] AVHWDeviceContext: libva: VA-API version 1.1.0
[   0.324][d][ffmpeg] libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
[   0.324][d][ffmpeg] libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_drv_video.so
[   0.411][e][ffmpeg] libva: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_drv_video.so has no function __vaDriverInit_1_0
[   0.411][d][ffmpeg] libva: va_openDriver() returns -1
[   0.411][e][ffmpeg] Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).

I get the exact same issue on my install of Arch Linux, it looks like Emby Theater is compiled against a very libs. I also try Ubuntu 21.04 and had the exact same issue.

@Luke any changes of providing a version of Emby Theater compiled against updated mpv/libva/electron versions. 

Update: I ran the source code version (same as the release I tested) with a newer version of electron and Hw did work, but it had some image glitches, probably missing dependency. But it proves that newer libs does resolve the missing HW acceleration. 

Edited by hcgonzalezpr

@ Luke: Or could we please, please have a flatpak version? Or an AppImage or even a snap? That way we wouldn't have to worry about about the specific distro or version thereof. I have to think it'd make life easier for you, as well. Surely, it'd decrease the required maintenance and support on your end?

On 8/16/2021 at 5:35 AM, Der R said:

@ Luke: Or could we please, please have a flatpak version? Or an AppImage or even a snap? That way we wouldn't have to worry about about the specific distro or version thereof. I have to think it'd make life easier for you, as well. Surely, it'd decrease the required maintenance and support on your end?

Stay tuned. Our packaging developer is actively working on Theater packages for all of the same platforms that we have the server on. Hopefully we'll have something in the next couple weeks.

• Like 2

On 21/08/2021 at 16:09, Luke said:

Stay tuned. Our packaging developer is actively working on Theater packages for all of the same platforms that we have the server on. Hopefully we'll have something in the next couple weeks.

This will be excellent if you do! Just started using Batocera for emulation it only has Kodi 'pre-installed' and Embycon is not great. Looking at using the Flatpak version of Emby on it so I can just use one device instead!

Ptolemaeus
On 8/21/2021 at 11:09 AM, Luke said:

Very cool.  I'll echo the Flatpak request (as opposed to snap or appimage). The Kodi Addon experience isn't quite the same as having a native Emby Theater application.

Edit: Running Fedora here, I can't get Alien to cooperate with the existing .deb.

Edited by Ptolemaeus
  • Like 1

OurfamilySpot
6 hours ago, Luke said:

OK this is an informal process for now as I figure out how we're going to reorganize the download page of our website to accommodate more platforms for this app.

But we have new debs ready for testing, with more platforms soon to roll out:

x64: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqim2zqq7ow8gbl/emby-theater-deb_3.0.15_amd64.deb?dl=0

arm64: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3qc53gbaujqwtq/emby-theater-deb_3.0.15_arm64.deb?dl=0

armhf: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wk5v1anhe9wlv2e/emby-theater-deb_3.0.15_armhf.deb?dl=0

Install Steps

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cec-utils libasound2 libatomic1 libc6 libegl1 libgcc-s1 libpulse0 libstdc++6
sudo dpkg -i /path/to/deb

Thanks.

Can we use the ARM64 to test for RaspberryPI 4, or do we need to use the armhf?

daldana

It's been a couple of years since I played with Emby on a Pi, but with the single image released I thought I'd give it a go again. So I installed the image on my Pi 3 and had a lot of the same problems with a very slow interface and a choppy unwatchable video. I tried a couple of basic things like increasing the gpu memory and trying to overclock, but nothing worked. Then after doing some research, I found that the normal configuration of the Pi 3 does not use the GL driver. So I tried enabling the "Fake KMS" driver and, lo and behold, everything smoothed  out beautifully! Just as a test, I tried the "Full KMS" setting and it got even better. I'm able to watch Live TV smoothly on a poor wifi connection (2.9 Mbps).

In reading more about it, the "Fake KMS" is supposed to be enabled by default in the Pi 4 but maybe that's something to take a look at if the video is unwatchable. Open raspi-config, go to Advanced Options, GL Driver, then enable the "Fake KMS" setting. If that works, try the "Full KMS". Hope this helps.

Edited by daldana
Clarifying info
  • Like 1

OurfamilySpot
On 8/25/2021 at 3:13 PM, Luke said:

Trying this with Raspian 64 bit (May 2021 Release)

Install Steps

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cec-utils libasound2 libatomic1 libc6 libegl1 libgcc-s1 libpulse0 libstdc++6
sudo dpkg -i /path/to/deb

I get an error that 

E: Package 'libgcc-s1' has no installation candidate

Any ideas on how to resolve?