Emby Theater for Linux

xnappo

acnp77

@LukeMay I kindly ask you to communicate here what Linux ET is and is not, regarding the status of the project? I had high hopes and was very disappointed with the performance. Especially compared to emby for kodi on the same device. ET Linux could be so great, and it looks great and it would be the coolest thing to have a usable linux/rpi version. But I see the same discussions for years now, and I find it rather misleading. Or do you have any kind of recommended working HW / setup? Thanks a lot and Cheers

Edited by acnp77

54 minutes ago, acnp77 said:

@LukeMay I kindly ask you to communicate here what Linux ET is and is not, regarding the status of the project? I had high hopes and was very disappointed with the performance. Especially compared to emby for kodi on the same device. ET Linux could be so great, and it looks great and it would be the coolest thing to have a usable linux/rpi version. But I see the same discussions for years now, and I find it rather misleading. Or do you have any kind of recommended working HW / setup? Thanks a lot and Cheers

RPI2 is not going to be realistic, in fact, we're not even testing it. In all honesty I would suggest RPI4.

acnp77

@LukeThanks a lot for your feedback. I have installed the .deb package on my HP Z Workstation, and yes, it is great. I asked these questions because it would like to understand what the difference between kodi/emby and linux ET is regarding HW acceleration. How can I find out if HW acc. is used in ET and what HW would be suitable? Also it would be nice to know if the project has plans for the future or if it is sort of discontinued. The rpi2 example I used because there is a hudge difference in the performance between ET and kodi/emby. Cheers

Edited by acnp77

1 hour ago, acnp77 said:

@LukeThanks a lot for your feedback. I have installed the .deb package on my HP Z Workstation, and yes, it is great. I asked these questions because it would like to understand what the difference between kodi/emby and linux ET is regarding HW acceleration. How can I find out if HW acc. is used in ET and what HW would be suitable? Also it would be nice to know if the project has plans for the future or if it is sort of discontinued. The rpi2 example I used because there is a hudge difference in the performance between ET and kodi/emby. Cheers

We've got mpv embedded so it's probably a question of that vs kodi's player. But keep in mind, we're not even testing RPI2. The default video settings in the app could very well be suboptimal for the RPI2 but we just don't know.

acnp77

@Lukeagain, thanks. I do not plan to use rpi2 of course. I just want to test before I buy a new pi.

I can only explain the difference in performance with hw decoding vs no hw decoding. Is there any instructions to enable hw decoding for h264? maybe this is the only problem here? Thanks

Edited by acnp77

alucryd

@acnp77Kodi is built against the system ffmpeg, while Theater uses our own libmpv build. HW accel on the various pis is a huge rabbit hole, and while it mostly works with the system tools, we only recently finally got it to work on the pi 3 and 4. It probably works on the pi 2 as well (although we didn't test it), but there is a huge difference between Kodi and Theater, Kodi is pure C++ and very lightweight, whereas Theater is built on top of Electron. Electron was not designed to run on low powered devices and the pi 3 can barely handle it, so anything below that is guaranteed to be unusable, whether HW accel is working or not.

• Thanks 1

acnp77
8 hours ago, alucryd said:

we only recently finally got it to work on the pi 3 and 4.

- Is this already in version 3.0.19 ?
- Do I need any specific setting for RPI4 ?
- Can you recommend any HW for a Linux ET?

Thanks a lot

Edited by acnp77

alucryd

Yes, it is in the latest version. Our image should work out of the box, if you have issues, you should make sure your pi's eeprom is up to date (sudo rpi-eeprom-update -a). As for hw recommendation, as far as SBCs go, the only ones we test right now are the Pi 3 and 4, any variation of the 4 should work fine (be it the 400, or the CM4), make sure to pick a model with at least 4GB of RAM. 2GB tend to fill up rather quickly with electron, not to mention video memory is shared with the system memory (configured to 128MB in our image).

• Thanks 1

acnp77

@alucrydThank you so much for this info :)

I will try with the RPI 400, 4GB as it is the only one I could find right now. They seem to be having delivery problems, at least in Switzerland.
BTW: I tried the ET .deb package on my old HP Z240 (Intel Xeon E3-1240 with NVIDIA Quadro K2200) and it is really great.

CHEERS

acnp77

@alucrydHi. I tried the arm64 img on the new rpi 400. The GUI is beautiful and very fast. But no content can be played. Spinning circle forever on all content (movies and music). Content works on other clients. (Emby server version: 4.7.11.0) - would you have any advice? Cheers

acnp77

@alucrydThank you. I got the arm64 from here: https://emby.media/emby-theater-rpi.html

image.png.0bfda30b9c198d7d878539d2566292ce.png

because of the info on https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi   it says that the RPI4 needs arm64

Now I am a bit confused, which is the correct img for RPI4?
Is this the correct one? : https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-electron/releases/download/3.0.19/emby-theater-rpi_3.0.19_armhf.img.xz

Cheers

alucryd

Oh that's an old image. Rpi 4 doesn't strictly need aarch64, armhf will happily run on it, you just might not get the most of an 8GB, but you won't lose much, if at all, on a 4GB model.

@LukeIs it possible to remove the aarch64 link until we have a usable image for that architecture? In the meantime armhf will be sufficient. I'll revisit aarch64 soon, the ffmpeg fork for rpi was recently updated to 5.1.x, I'll check if it fares better on aarch64.

Edit: @acnp77Yes, the link is the correct one for all rpi revisions.

Edited by alucryd
  • Thanks 1

acnp77

@alucrydThanks a lot for your information. I tested with armhf img on RPI 400. The GUI seems fine. Some movies have a hudge delay to start, but I guess this can be figured out. (It has nothing to do with subs, I found out.) But the video is stuttering. It is subtle, but definitely noticeable. Overall just not a natrual smooth playback as on other clients. And lip-sync is not good also. As a reference I take the kodi video playback on a rpi2, which is great. I would really love to make this work. Is there anything I can do here? It seems on first sight that this is not hw decoded playback.

Cheers

Edited by acnp77

alucryd

You may want to play with video output and hardware acceleration mode in the video settings. Auto copy back should be preferred as it's the only mode rpi supports, and sometimes libmpv output performs better than gpu.

acnp77

@alucrydThank you. I have tried many combinations of video output settings now, nothing seems to noticeably change. When you test the img with rpi4, what settings do you use?

I changed to "fkms" driver in /boot/config.txt, but no success.

In config.txt I see the overclocking setting, that states that 700Mhz is the default. But RPI 400 is said to run at 1.8 Ghz. I hesitated to change to 1.8 Ghz as I am not sure if I understand the setting correctly here.

I will try to install debian on the pi and use the arm64.deb pkg to see if this is different.

I will try and test further, but my feeling tells my that it will be difficult to impossible to match the playback from other clients. I hope I am wrong here :)

Edited by acnp77

acnp77

I would really love to know if anyone ever managed to get hw accel. playback with no framedrops with ET on RPI4. Anyone? Any input is much appreciated. Cheers

Edited by acnp77

acnp77

@LukeHi. I have spent many many hours reading in different forums and testing with different versions of ET on a RPI 400 but no success (massive frame drops). Is this the current state on the rpi or am I doing something wrong here? I do not seem to be able to get hw decoding to be used. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers

acnp77

@alucrydHi. Do you know if there is a way to make theater use native paths over samba instead of http(s) ?

Thanks!

Edited by acnp77

18 hours ago, acnp77 said:

@alucrydHi. Do you know if there is a way to make theater use native paths over samba instead of http(s) ?

Thanks!

Yes configure the optional network paths in Emby library setup and then make sure the theater machine can reach those paths.

• Thanks 1

acnp77

@LukeET 3.0.19 .deb pkg on Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS on a HP Z240 with NVidia Quadro K2200 works great! RPI4 I had no success yet. Would be so great to make this work. All I can offer is to help you do some testing if required. So let me know if you need anything :) Cheers

• Thanks 1

mrdoug

Is it possible to replace the shared lib's in the flatpak with the ones from the distro official repositories? libmpv distributed in the flatpak core-dumps when playing av1 encoded streams. MPV using the system lib's plays perfectly. Is there a way to download emby-theater that works with the system libraries? or is there a recipe for replacing the libs with ones that work?

I replaced libmpv.so.2.0.0, libGLESv2.so, libEGL.so however the libffmpeg.so then crashes and I can't find that in the Arch repo's.

System spec:
Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU rx 6700xt
Arch linux with current patches
mpv package (from Arch repos)  v1:0.35.1-4
emby-theater package (from Arch repos) 3.0.19-2

ps: please, please, for the love of all that is holy, please stop using flatpak and snap, or at least provide a version that can use system libs. I'm begging you. please. This is exactly the problem with flatpak/snap.

alucryd

You can't use any libmpv from any system. Believe me I would have long ago. See, the people behind electron had the genius idea of shipping this libffmpeg.so you mention. This is an ugly frankenstein lib that contains symbols from the various libav* ffmpeg libs, and it is specific to electron. Since electron loads this one first, it will conflict with anything that links to regular libav* libs, and you guessed it, libmpv from your system links to libav*. Using LD_PRELOAD to load libav* first is not an option either, because then you break electron itself. So the only option is to ship a static libmpv, which is (not for lack of trying) incredibly hard to do it while being portable and compatible at the same time 😕

Now to the issue at hand, not sure why AV1 is crashing, we are shipping with AV1 decoding via dav1d, we might need to look into aom, but I hear its decoder is slower that dav1d's.

• Thanks 1

mrdoug

First I have to say that this is an amazing response! Quick and great technical detail. That is really unusual these days. Thank you for that.

secondly... this is too bad. It was a pretty good app. Thanks for maintaining the package. I'll dip my toes back in the water another time.

Edited by mrdoug