External player support

jscoys

Hi - thanks for this fix!

On my side, for BR ISOs

- it does not work when using VCD as an external player: ET minimizes for a second then appears back, then PowerDVD appears for 3-4 seconds, but ET comes back on top afterwards

- it does work when using PowerDVD to open ISOs directly - however PowerDVD is awfully slow to open ISOs

I guess the best solution would be to stop using ISOs and rip BRs as folders.

But still I do have a functional path now, thanks a lot Luke!

raven2k7

hello , i am using external player xmtv player on my emby. but for some reason it cant play my links when using it with emby. it plays fine if am using it in any other iptv app.

hello , i am using external player xmtv player on my emby. but for some reason it cant play my links when using it with emby. it plays fine if am using it in any other iptv app.

Hi, please provide more detail about your issue, thanks. Please also see how to report a media playback issue. Thanks.

GhostRider

2.4.4 is headed up and it's just going to minimize the app for external players. 

Hi Luke

Version 2.4.4 has an issue with PowerDVD external player. After about 5 seconds Emby Theater jumps back in front of the PowerDVD window. Used to work OK before version 2.4.4 but now Theater takes the screen focus back after a few seconds and appears on top.

The only thing I can think of is to check the process that you're declaring vs the one that actually runs. The process that you declare is the one that Emby Theater will listen for, and as soon as it closes it assumes the external player session is complete. So if the process you declare simply launches another process and then exists, that could potentially explain that.

GhostRider

The only thing I can think of is to check the process that you're declaring vs the one that actually runs. The process that you declare is the one that Emby Theater will listen for, and as soon as it closes it assumes the external player session is complete. So if the process you declare simply launches another process and then exists, that could potentially explain that.

Hi Luke

Your idea is correct, I have done some testing and the way to invoke PowerDVD from the command line is to call a special launcher program. This takes command line arguments and looks it like it then passes the movie playing to the main PowerDVD program. Alas if I put the main Power|DVD exe file in Emby Theatre I cannot use command line arguments (the one I use is start in Cinema mode, it is ignored by the PowerDVD.exe program). By default PowerDVD exe starts as a desktop style application, not in cinema mode i.e. in arm chair style remote control mode.

I am somewhat stuck now, could a switch be added to Emby Theatre to turn the monitoring auto pop-up on exit as on by default but an option to turn off?

Edited by GhostRider

solabc16

Afternoon @@GhostRider

This is how I configure PowerDVD for cinema mode, the full path is "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD15\Movie\PowerDVD Cinema\PowerDVDCinema.exe"

If PowerDVDCinema doesn't open full screen, maximise it then shut it - it will open full screen from then on.

577011b4edca1_powerdvd.png

Best

- James

• Like 1

J e f f

The External player is working great for me. Thank you. Would it be possible sometime in the future to add MKV to the "enable for "file types? I have to use the "video files" option for play back.of MKV.  Which causes all video files to be played in the external player. It would be nice to have the option to handle some video types to the internal player and some to the external. Because of all the resolution switching in madvr if you use custom intros.

You can now setup external players for Games. Please try it out and report any feedback. Currently it's one player per game system, so you can't do custom players for specific games (yet). Thanks for crazybbs for helping on this.

soundsnake8

This used to work but now Powerdvd 15 jumps from on top to bottom to top and back to bottom where it stays. I am not sure what to change.5779060c0d4d9_screengrab.png

GhostRider

Afternoon @@GhostRider

This is how I configure PowerDVD for cinema mode, the full path is "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD15\Movie\PowerDVD Cinema\PowerDVDCinema.exe"

If PowerDVDCinema doesn't open full screen, maximise it then shut it - it will open full screen from then on.

577011b4edca1_powerdvd.png

Best

- James

Hi Solabc16,

Many thanks that method works for me as well.

soundsnake8

Why has this configuration stopped working

This used to work but now Powerdvd 15 jumps from on top to bottom to top and back to bottom where it stays. I am not sure what to change.

57791812e4dd8_screengrab.png

See my comments from a few posts ago. That's probably the reason why.

• 2 weeks later...

A fix has been pushed for the issue of gamepad input controlling Emby Theater even when the app is minimized. This will help with external players for games. Enjoy.

soundsnake8

I can't edit external player once it has been set. Rolling over it with the mouse produces no results this just started in 2.4.4. The only way for me to change the external player is to uninstall ET and start over. Is there a bug ? It does happen on both of my computers.

Valve1138

I'm either missing something, or doing something wrong. I cannot get PowerDVD to launch,. I've tried both the Cinema version and the full version. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Emby Theater. I've tried the recommended settings posted above as well. Still Power DVD will not launch. Emby plays the blu-ray rip directly every time. 

I do not rip to ISO's, just the blu-ray folder structure. PDVD plays them fine by itself. 

I do have a premium membership if that matters in terms of what ET can play back. 

I saw one other person with this issue, didn't see a solution. 

Valve1138

Here's what I have at the moment. I copy/pasted the player path directly, as well as tried typing it in manually. It is the correct path for my system. Restarting ET after any change. 

post-116299-0-71342200-1468421530_thumb.png

Edited by Valve1138

Here's what I have at the moment. I copy/pasted the player path directly, as well as tried typing it in manually. It is the correct path for my system. Restarting ET after any change. 

So this means it will play for 3d video files and 3d blu ray folder rips. Is that what you want?

Valve1138

So this means it will play for 3d video files and 3d blu ray folder rips. Is that what you want?

Shouldn't it also be playing regular non 3D Blu-Ray folder rips via the external player as well?

I've tried having all those boxes checked and still no external player launching, for anything. 

Valve1138

no, checking 3D is a filter, meaning the content must be 3D

Ok, gotcha. Looks like I misunderstood. 

Thanks for the help. 

solabc16

Evening

Glad to see you've got that working now @Valve1138.

@@Luke, is it worth considering switching the default to unchecked when creating a new external player?

The 3D format is not the dominant media type, so the filter is likely not required for a majority of users. Those users who are setting up an external player, specifically for the purpose of playing 3D media, will be instantly drawn to the filter option and recognise it's relevance. Other users are likely to skim over it as being not relevant, even though they need to do something, given the current defaults.

Additionally or alternatively, perhaps the inclusion of some additional test would draw out the purpose and make it more self explanatory.

e.g.

5786b15ed80bb_theatre_external_media_typ

- James

• Like 1

soundsnake8

I can't edit external player once it has been set. Rolling over it with the mouse produces no results this just started in 2.4.4. The only way for me to change the external player is to uninstall ET and start over. Is there a bug ? It does happen on both of my computers.

Never mind I discovered the problem. When the display settings is set to Auto I can edit normally but when in desktop mode I cannot.