External player support

jscoys

ShoutingMan

PowerDVD 16 works fine for me with Emby Theatre. My best guess is that your PowerDVD settings got changed and need resetting.

1) Start PowerDVD from Windows. Does the select mode splash screen appear? If so check remember my selection and select TV mode.

57e626b904740_powerdvd.jpg

2) If the splash screen does not show does it start in PC mode? Check the icons at the top right of the screen if they look like this it is starting in PC mode:

57e6272a267f1_PCmode.jpg

In PC mode PowerDVD will not jump to on top. If you get these icons select the second from the left to switch to TV mode.

3) If you are in TV mode and not maxised the icons look like this

57e627d96b2e9_TVmode.jpg

Select the maximise icon (second from right) and PowerDVD will then start in TV mode, ontop and maximised.

57e629011fdd9_Maximised.jpg

If the icons look this then PowerDVD should work fine in Emby Theatre. Click the X icon to close PowerDVD and from then on it should start maximised and ontop.

If Emby Theatre still does not start PowerDVD correctly as an external player make sure you are using the path to PowerDVD.exe in the Emby Theatre external player settings

I'm configured correctly, as described.

Emby starts PDVD, shows it briefly, then comes back on top while PDVD 16 plays beneath.

Edited by ShoutingMan

Try installing the latest version from the website, just in case you might be stuck on an old version for whatever reason.

ShoutingMan

Try installing the latest version from the website, just in case you might be stuck on an old version for whatever reason.

I updated PDVD yesterday to the latest version.

I'm running the current Emby: 2.5.22

Edited by ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

Ok, here's the issue: if PDVD isn't running, Emby launches PDVD and minimizes itself. If PDVD is already running, Emby starts the movie, minimizes and then immediately maximizes covering PDVD.

This means I can watch one movie properly. But then must remember to quit PDVD after the movies done and then re-maximize Emby to work again for a second movie.

This wasn't the case when I had it configured a month or two ago.

Did the big Windows Anniversary update or the PDVD 1.03 update break something with Emby?

So whatever process you have configured it to launch might be deferring to another process and then closing. When it closes that causes emby theater to think that it has stopped and thus it restores the window

ShoutingMan

So whatever process you have configured it to launch might be deferring to another process and then closing. When it closes that causes emby theater to think that it has stopped and thus it restores the window

That's beyond me. For the external launcher, I use the only executable that works for PDVD 16, "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD16\PowerDVD.exe"

What i did  is fixed  a button on remote to close pdvd when done playing then Emby comes back and you can start another movie

That's an idea. Except that Emby doesn't maximize again after I quit PDVD (it stays minimized); that also has to be done manually.

• Like 1

ShoutingMan

Is there a way to have Emby so it doesn't forcibly stay on top of every other program? Power DVD runs full screen, but doesn't assert itself to the top. While using it both in selection screen or movie playback, you can Alt-Tab to another application and it keeps working. It seems that all of these problems would go away, with no detriment, if Emby followed normal Windows conventions?

I have a logitech 1100 you pin emby to the task bar then the window key and the number of the spot emby is in will launch the program win+2 example i do the same for pdvd just differnt  number win+3

• Like 1

I had the same problem on some they say it could be slysoft any hd but with the latest update i has been working well if i had one that did that i just ripped the blueray folders from it and then power dvd loads them a lot faster

ShoutingMan

I have never been able to get Powerdvd 16 to load an iso past 70%. Is there something I need to know ?

Don't have any other disc playing apps loaded, to be safe.

Uninstall and reinstall PDVD. I had it get corrupted once.

On first playback of an ISO, it will ask to install an ISO mounting feature; ok that.

After that, I've had to quit and re-start PDVD.

And then it works.

Start a ticket with cyberlink because I do not have that problem or try and just load the I so then instead of playing it just open and take the two folders and put in a new folder and then try it should just play like the I so with out the hassle of the extra loading the I so player

soundsnake8

Start a ticket with cyberlink because I do not have that problem or try and just load the I so then instead of playing it just open and take the two folders and put in a new folder and then try it should just play like the I so with out the hassle of the extra loading the I so player

I am using iso 3D's so converting them to folders would take approximently 80 gigs of hard drive space, you're right they do load much better but for me not an option. The powerdvd iso mounting is very clumbsy and not something I want to sit through. By comparison the iso mounting in MBT is magnificent, lightning fast and a pleasure to use. The iso mounting in EMC using Virtual Clone Drive is very close to MBT so at this point either one of those two work for me. I really really like the look and feel of the new ET but I am just not able to put it to good  use yet. I would really love to be using it !

ShoutingMan

I am using iso 3D's so converting them to folders would take approximently 80 gigs of hard drive space, you're right they do load much better but for me not an option. The powerdvd iso mounting is very clumbsy and not something I want to sit through. By comparison the iso mounting in MBT is magnificent, lightning fast and a pleasure to use. The iso mounting in EMC using Virtual Clone Drive is very close to MBT so at this point either one of those two work for me. I really really like the look and feel of the new ET but I am just not able to put it to good  use yet. I would really love to be using it !

So far PDVD 16 works pretty well for me. ISO mounting takes about 10 seconds with spinny "please hold" icons. There's some inconsistency; it seems trying to re-mount an ISO just exited confuses it. Otherwise, it's generally problem free.

Do these other tools (MBT or VCD or EMC) work with Emby and PDVD? I'm open to changing the ISO mounter if it will work faster and more consistently.

soundsnake8

So far PDVD 16 works pretty well for me. ISO mounting takes about 10 seconds with spinny "please hold" icons. There's some inconsistency; it seems trying to re-mount an ISO just exited confuses it. Otherwise, it's generally problem free.

Do these other tools (MBT or VCD or EMC) work with Emby and PDVD? I'm open to changing the ISO mounter if it will work faster and more consistently.

Yes they are Emby for Media Center (EMC) and Media Browser Theater (MBT) you can download  both of them on this site. VCD or Virtual Clone Drive you can download at Redfox

• Like 1

What does 3D have to do with the size i have underworld awakening 3d 2d  full blueray folder and its just 46 gigs moving the blueray folders should not increase size only 4K blueray gets that big as far as i know they i think go up to 100 gigs

soundsnake8

What does 3D have to do with the size i have underworld awakening 3d 2d  full blueray folder and its just 46 gigs moving the blueray folders should not increase size only 4K blueray gets that big as far as i know they i think go up to 100 gigs

That's because the files in the SSIF folder (present on a 3D disc) are VIRTUAL/FICTIONAL. The file(s) in the SSIF folder technically don't exist they are only references to the original files in the STREAM directory. Those references combined with the original files and the blu-ray structure make it a 3D movie and those files don't become real untill you rip to folders. If you rip a 3D disc to folder, the disc size GROWS because the previous virtual files now actually get ripped. Resulting in REAL (but unplayable) files that in turn increase the original disc size above 50GB.

yes but they only take up 46 gigs on the hard even when you rip them they only open and act like 90 gigs when playing the disc they ripped from can not hold 90 gigs

soundsnake8

yes but they only take up 46 gigs on the hard even when you rip them they only open and act like 90 gigs when playing the disc they ripped from can not hold 90 gigs

Sorry I am not familiar with underworld awakening 3d 2d. I have tried 3D only discs and every single one without exception is DOUBLE the size of the original disc. Files that size will eat up an enormous of hard drive space. I can tell by your post that you are skeptical so you will have to try one for yourself I have always used AnyDVD-HD for this process.