External player support

jscoys

Thanks for the feedback ! And no, nothing has changed about marking watched. Check your resume settings in the server dashboard. Thanks.

JMGNYC

@@JMGNYC

@@lifespeed

@@solabc16

@@Zeus

@@GhostRider

@@ShoutingMan

@@soundsnake8

@@JMR

@@cash84

@@Della Dog

@@MSacre

@@ChrisSHouston

@@Grenth

@@Valve1138

@@xliv

@@Heuer

@@LuizFeitosa

@@Delphi

@@heula

@@Teddy

The next release of Emby Theater will feature improved performance, hardware acceleration, and better multi-monitor support. I don't think you will want to use external players anymore.

If you'd like to try it out ahead of time you can do so here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46763-theater-mpv-test/page-1

Enjoy.

@@Luke

I stopped using an external player long ago when ET stabilized with madVR. Now that madVR is gone I think I should go back to MPC-HC to get it back. The new player without frame rate switching and madVR quality upscaling is a no go for me to be honest.

lifespeed

The quality looks pretty good, but is there no longer frame rate switching implemented?  I saw the video settings offer "enable video sync", perhaps this isn't implemented yet?  Also I notice that de-interlacing of 1080i TV does not work on "Auto", must be "yes" to de-interlace.

I have to say a pretty good effort at this point.  I only have a 1080p TV so the differences between MadVR vs. nVidia GPU upscaling are lost on me.  I'll check a 480i DVD to compare quality against MadVR.

lifespeed

Is there any plan to bring back frame rate switching to match the media frames per second?

We have an option for the mpv video syncing feature, which can offer a similar experience. there is an mpv add-on for refresh rate switching and I imagine that soon we'll want to look at integrating that.

lifespeed

We have an option for the mpv video syncing feature, which can offer a similar experience. there is an mpv add-on for refresh rate switching and I imagine that soon we'll want to look at integrating that.

Glad to hear it.

• 3 weeks later...
danxmanly

Greetings... so I've recently had to totally rebuild my Server Raid Array.. don't ask, but at least had everything backed up so mainly just time lost... and now that I'm getting Emby Theater back up and running  after setting up all my libraries, for the life of me I cannot get PDVD 16 to play my files automatically once it is launched from within Emby theater on my HTPC.

Emby theater, server and PDVD16 all updated.

Using external player C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD16.PowerDVD.exe    with {path}   in command line

It has worked previously, but now PDVD just launches and will come up in whatever condition it was last shut down in. 

Someone care to point out what I am doing wrong here?  I have a feeling it is something staring me right in the face but it sure is eluding me now.  

You probably need to research whatever powerdvd command line params are needed.

GhostRider

Greetings... so I've recently had to totally rebuild my Server Raid Array.. don't ask, but at least had everything backed up so mainly just time lost... and now that I'm getting Emby Theater back up and running  after setting up all my libraries, for the life of me I cannot get PDVD 16 to play my files automatically once it is launched from within Emby theater on my HTPC.

Emby theater, server and PDVD16 all updated.

Using external player C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD16.PowerDVD.exe    with {path}   in command line

It has worked previously, but now PDVD just launches and will come up in whatever condition it was last shut down in. 

Someone care to point out what I am doing wrong here?  I have a feeling it is something staring me right in the face but it sure is eluding me now.  

Under select media type video

Your manual path to powerDVD.exe. and command line arguments of {path} look correct for PowerDVD 16.

Is the box "enable for video files" checked? Would be the next thing to double check.

Edited by GhostRider

danxmanly

Video is selected.  

It was working previously, but since the server rebuild it just won't play the mkv once PDVD is launched.  Has to be something specific in my setup as no one else seems to be having this issue. 

Thanks for chiming in... I'll report back once I figure it out.  

• 1 month later...
sneakers282

For Blu-ray menus it looks like there are 4 options

PowerDVD - working for some in this thread.

WinDVD - no command line support at all. I own it but couldn't get it to play ball, it opens but refuses to play.

DVDFab Media Player - no command line support, tried out the trial version same results as WinDVD. Menus worked but were a little glitchy I wonder if it's just VLC under the hood.

VLC - the open source Blu-ray menu system VLC team have been working on is finally in a usable state but it's only in nightly v3.x builds.

I couldn't get VLC to play a Blu-ray ISO using a nightly build via external player it would give out error messages about no valid codecs but playing the ISO direct in VLC works fine. If anyone ever figures out the right command line settings for VLC that would be cool.

Edited by sneakers282