External player support

jscoys

crazybbs

@@Luke, I would like to play with the code to add emulators support but I think they are hosted assests? Can we have access to the external players sources?

Thank you,

• Like 2

jasonwilliams

Hi There,

I see an option to trigger 3D in setup now, but I can't seem to get it to trigger.  Is it based on the 3D Format tag in the metadata?

Edited by jasonwilliams

DingDong

Hi...

recently had to reinstalled my OS (win 7 pro), downloaded and installed the 2.2.7 version of theater on the clean OS...I configured theater to use an external player, however, theater doesn't allow editing of the external player...can't even delete the external player once added ...is there something I am missing to gain access to editing or deleting the external player? 

thanks

Hi...

recently had to reinstalled my OS (win 7 pro), downloaded and installed the 2.2.7 version of theater on the clean OS...I configured theater to use an external player, however, theater doesn't allow editing of the external player...can't even delete the external player once added ...is there something I am missing to gain access to editing or deleting the external player? 

thanks

Just fixed that for desktop mode. try again by restarting the app. thanks.

amaga

Hi

I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 and ET. When trying to configure MPC-HC as an external player, I keep getting a stream from the server instead of accessing the file directly (I'm testing with mkv's). I'm able to play the files normally when openin directly through Windows Explorer.

I tried several of the suggestions in this thread but none seem to work. I noticed that most suggestions are for 64bit MPC-HC, but I'm running the 32bit version.

Does anhbody have any suggestions as to how I can use MPC-HC without streaming from the server?

Hi

I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 and ET. When trying to configure MPC-HC as an external player, I keep getting a stream from the server instead of accessing the file directly (I'm testing with mkv's). I'm able to play the files normally when openin directly through Windows Explorer.

I tried several of the suggestions in this thread but none seem to work. I noticed that most suggestions are for 64bit MPC-HC, but I'm running the 32bit version.

Does anhbody have any suggestions as to how I can use MPC-HC without streaming from the server?

Make sure the paths can be accessed by the machine with ET. For example, if you setup your server libraries using D:\Movies, and it's not the same machine, then you'll need to use path substitution to map it to a network path. You can learn more about that in our library setup wiki:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Library%20Setup

amaga

All my library is configured to use network paths. I also followed a suggestion from an earlier post in this thread of adding a "\" at the end of the path to see if that stopped the streaming, but that didn't work either...

James

v2.3.3 external player option stopped working for me. Even though it's configured videos open with internal player.

I can't reproduce, although admittedly my test is on a new external player that's just been setup. I did make one small code change so see if that resolves it, otherwise, try setting the player up again. it's not related to 2.3.3 but rather the newly introduced 3d filter.

James

I can't reproduce, although admittedly my test is on a new external player that's just been setup. I did make one small code change so see if that resolves it, otherwise, try setting the player up again. it's not related to 2.3.3 but rather the newly introduced 3d filter.

Thanks for the quick reply Luke.

same issue with v2.3.5 with 3d filters enabled. external player works after disabling 3d filters.

jscoys

Ok so we musn't associate an external player to video AND 3D at the same Time? Is there a specific reason?

3d is a filter. if you check the box, then files  must be 3d in order for that player to utilize. if you leave the box unchecked, then it will handle 3d + others.

• Like 1

3d is a filter. if you check the box, then files  must be 3d in order for that player to utilize. if you leave the box unchecked, then it will handle 3d + others.

So how would one setup one external player for non-3D content and a different one for 3D?  Will the selection with the 3D filter turned on take precedence in the search for a player?

amaga

Hi Luke

I did a bunch of tests this week but I couldn't get Emby Theater to open files directly with MPC-HC.

In my setup, I have one box running the server and two clients: one with the latest Emby Theater and one with the old version. The box with the old version can open files directly through the network with MPC-HC as an external player. So I'm assuming that it isn't an issue with the server's config.

The box running the latest Emby Theater will only open files from the server in streaming mode with MPC-HC. I'm able to open files directly from the network with MPC-HC in this box. I've tried configuring the external player page in Emby Theater to only open video files and unmarked the 3D option, but that didn't work. When I only mark the video option, Emby Theater won't even launch MPC-HC - only if I mark the Streaming internet videos option will it open MPC-HC in streaming mode.

I'm running 32 bit Windows 10 in this client box.

Anyways, I guess I'll wait for a future release of Emby Theater with a little more development on the external player. I'm writing to let you know the external player is still an issue, at least for me.

fgaine

Sorry can someone point me to the instructions to link ET to an external player (VLC for me)? I tried entering the path to vlc.exe but it does nothing, Also I don't know what to enter as a string?

Sorry can someone point me to the instructions to link ET to an external player (VLC for me)? I tried entering the path to vlc.exe but it does nothing, Also I don't know what to enter as a string?

Please explain what you mean by does nothing, thanks.

jscoys

I use it like that :

d5035f95304d498db6f746712fef089c.jpg

In your case put the vlc program link and the "file..." Line only. After that try to add command Line one by one.

dimitrik

Just tried putting Emby Theatre on an i5 running Win 7 and it works as designed using the onboard graphics. Then I tried installing a Nvidia 650Ti and Theatre worked correctly so it may well be your GPU or its drivers. Why not try removing/disabling your GPU and see if the problem is gone when using the onbard graphics?

I don't have onboard graphics unfortunately.  And new Radeon drivers, which James suggested didn't solve the problem wither  :(

So now I'm stucki waiting to upgrade this machine to an nvidia GPU (which I'm still not sure I want to do since Radeon GPUs have many good features for HTPCs, like adjustable pixel format etc) and Win 10 (also not sure I want to do that for numerous reasons). Oh well.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if I could get the internal player to work but that also is a bit flaky for me. It seems as long as I'm on Win 7, I need to stick with emby classic. 

solabc16

Hi dimitrik

Thanks for the update on your progress, sorry to hear it's not more positive. Your h/w and OS should be more than adequate for the task at hand.

Are you running the latest ET (v2.3.7)? What's your current external player configuration?

I'd like to think we can get to the bottom of this, as it does appear to be something unique to your setup as in general it appears to be working.

- James

Hi,

I'm sorry if this has been answered already somewhere - I did try to find something but could not.

I've set up an external player to open ISO files with VCD (pointing to VCDmount.exe, with arguments -mount and {path}

My PC is setup to launch PDVD 16 whenever a blu-ray is inserted.

When I play a BR ISO movie from ET, it launches PDVD quite well, but 5s later ET gets back on top.

Is there a way currently to avoid that?

Or should I be doing this in another way?

Thx!

Joker

Hi,

I'm sorry if this has been answered already somewhere - I did try to find something but could not.

I've set up an external player to open ISO files with VCD (pointing to VCDmount.exe, with arguments -mount and {path}

My PC is setup to launch PDVD 16 whenever a blu-ray is inserted.

When I play a BR ISO movie from ET, it launches PDVD quite well, but 5s later ET gets back on top.

Is there a way currently to avoid that?

Or should I be doing this in another way?

Thx!

I use VCDMount.exe in the same way that you do but I use TMT 6 to play ISOs in Windows. I had a similar issue to you in that TMT 6 would launch successfully but it would be in the background and ET would retain the focus. I fixed it by enabling a setting in Total Media Theatre (there is a "Full screen" tick box in the options). I haven't used PDVD so I'm not sure if there is an equivalent option?

I use VCDMount.exe in the same way that you do but I use TMT 6 to play ISOs in Windows. I had a similar issue to you in that TMT 6 would launch successfully but it would be in the background and ET would retain the focus. I fixed it by enabling a setting in Total Media Theatre (there is a "Full screen" tick box in the options). I haven't used PDVD so I'm not sure if there is an equivalent option?

Thanks for your answer - no unfortunately I did not find such option. And since I paid for PDVD, I'm not very keen in switching to TMT :)

I think that Emby for WMC was minimizing itself to allow this focus switch, but ET does not seem to do such thing.

Note that if this is planned for a later stage, I'm fine with it, I'll stick with Emby for WMC until it's there (at least for ISOs) - I'd just like to know if there is a way that I have not found yet to do it today...

Edited by xliv