External player support

jscoys

It is the app because the old ET does not do it if the old ET did the same thing then i would say it is something else it has something to do with the stll watching function

GhostRider

Happened again today, PowerDVD was closed after 37 minutes, this time I got an Emby message on screen:

Received command to close player. Ignoring

Screen shot attached (it was full screen), clicking OK returns to Emby Theater

57ab808805438_closeplayer2.jpg

What can be sending such a command? Any ideas?

Edited by GhostRider

It is the still watching function which is causing other problems for some reason when you play a iso or bluray folder it doesnt happen

jscoys

Happened again today, PowerDVD was closed after 37 minutes, this time I got an Emby message on screen:

Received command to close player. Ignoring

Screen shot attached (it was full screen), clicking OK returns to Emby Theater

57ab808805438_closeplayer2.jpg

What can be sending such a command? Any ideas?

Don't understand what happened... Worked for a while with Splash 2.0 as external player and with the last update, it launches external player but when I close it I have this message appering each time I try to launch again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the latest version i have removed anything that could possibly close the player, although that prompt is still active. So if it is still closing, it is not the app that is doing it.

The prompt is there to indicate that something inside the application wanted to close it - but again, the close is not happening because any code to close the process has been removed.

In the latest version i have removed anything that could possibly close the player, although that prompt is still active. So if it is still closing, it is not the app that is doing it.

The prompt is there to indicate that something inside the application wanted to close it - but again, the close is not happening because any code to close the process has been removed.

I'm receiving the same message when closing the external player.  After the message, impossible to start a video without restarting ET.

Before I was able to close and restart a video without any problems both by closing the external player or by clicking on the play button with the external player active.

I'm using MPC-HC on a windows 10 system with the latest version of the server with a premium subscription and Emby Theater  (2.5.7).

As a test I switched to VLC and received exactly the same "error" message. I also installed ET on a different Windows 10 machine with the same result.

I think that the message reported by GhostRider is consequence of the player closing and not the cause.

... I did some further testing and installed the previous ET version (2.5.6).

ET now reopens correctly and without  message after closing the external player and I can select another video without having to restart ET.

My problem is solved for now.

Edited by MSacre
  • Like 1

GhostRider

Hi

I can report I have fixed my issue with external player being closed after 37 minutes. I updated to PowerDVD 16 and all works as expected using PowerDVD 16 as an external player.

Not sure why this fixed it as PowerDVD 15 is supposed to be Windows 10 compatible (and indeed PowerDVD 15 works fine on another PC). but at least I have ET running again OK on my HTPC.

p.s. PowerDVD 16 is different to PowerDVD 15 as there is no separate Cinmea mode executable, just point ET to PowerDVD.exe and start PowerDVD in TV mode.

• Like 2

ShoutingMan

Hi

I can report I have fixed my issue with external player being closed after 37 minutes. I updated to PowerDVD 16 and all works as expected using PowerDVD 16 as an external player.

Not sure why this fixed it as PowerDVD 15 is supposed to be Windows 10 compatible (and indeed PowerDVD 15 works fine on another PC). but at least I have ET running again OK on my HTPC.

p.s. PowerDVD 16 is different to PowerDVD 15 as there is no separate Cinmea mode executable, just point ET to PowerDVD.exe and start PowerDVD in TV mode.

That's good to hear, since I'm running PowerDVD 16. I look forward to trying Emby with it, outside of the 1-min trial mode.

And what you say about the configuration is what I found: set the external player to PowerDVD.exe. Maybe do a little open-close dance to get PDVD to open over Emby.

Edited by ShoutingMan

Della Dog

Hi

It's a shame though that PDVD does not support file based auto refresh rate changing. So unless you're using folder rips, PDVD really isn't the best choice. I've set two external players - MPB-BE with madVr works well for video rips and PDVD 16 for folder rips (ISO support is borked) Edited by Della Dog

I have been using powerdvd 16 all alongf and it still closes after 37 mins unless you use folder rips or iso it only work right in the early bulilds

GhostRider

I have been using powerdvd 16 all alongf and it still closes after 37 mins unless you use folder rips or iso it only work right in the early bulilds

Worth trying to uninstall and reinstall your PowerDVD, my new install of PowerDVD 16 works just fine. I could not find anything to explain PowerDVD 15 failing after 37 minutes, I suspect something odd going on because I did an inplace upgrade to Windows 10. Upgrading to Windows 10 Aniversary edition did not help so that left PowerDVD as the most likely source of my issue. PowerDVD 16 also has a nicer user interface so on balance was worth the upgrade cost.

It is not power dvd 16 because it works just fine in the old Emby Theatre the only time this happens is  in the new Emby Theatre

There's nothing in the code anymore that is capable of closing the process. It has all been removed, even at the point of loss of features.

• 1 month later...
ShoutingMan

I'm back to the problem of Emby forcibly staying on top of the External Player (PowerDVD 16)

I bought Emby Premiere Lifetime and updated to the latest version. Likewise PDVD 16, I just upgraded it to the current patch. I had to set Emby Player again to call PDVD as External Player. That seems to work. But Emby stays on top. I can't even Alt-Tab to PDVD, I have to minimze Emby.

This is now a critical issue. My movie room is done and I have to get this working this weekend before my wife gets back. She can't see the HTPC not working right or I'll never hear the end of it on the cost and time and it can't play a movie as awell as the $99 blu-ray player :)

So: Please tell me again how to get Emby to let the External Player to come to the front?

Thanks.

Edited by ShoutingMan

I just tested this and Emby Theater minimized upon launching the external player, just like it's supposed to. is that not happening for you?

GhostRider

I'm back to the problem of Emby forcibly staying on top of the External Player (PowerDVD 16)

So: Please tell me again how to get Emby to let the External Player to come to the front?

Thanks.

PowerDVD 16 works fine for me with Emby Theatre. My best guess is that your PowerDVD settings got changed and need resetting.

1) Start PowerDVD from Windows. Does the select mode splash screen appear? If so check remember my selection and select TV mode.

57e626b904740_powerdvd.jpg

2) If the splash screen does not show does it start in PC mode? Check the icons at the top right of the screen if they look like this it is starting in PC mode:

57e6272a267f1_PCmode.jpg

In PC mode PowerDVD will not jump to on top. If you get these icons select the second from the left to switch to TV mode.

3) If you are in TV mode and not maxised the icons look like this

57e627d96b2e9_TVmode.jpg

Select the maximise icon (second from right) and PowerDVD will then start in TV mode, ontop and maximised.

57e629011fdd9_Maximised.jpg

If the icons look this then PowerDVD should work fine in Emby Theatre. Click the X icon to close PowerDVD and from then on it should start maximised and ontop.

If Emby Theatre still does not start PowerDVD correctly as an external player make sure you are using the path to PowerDVD.exe in the Emby Theatre external player settings

Edited by GhostRider
  • Like 1

ShoutingMan

I just tested this and Emby Theater minimized upon launching the external player, just like it's supposed to. is that not happening for you?

No. That does not happen.

The external player settings are correct. Emby calls PDVD to start the ISO playback. But Emby does not minimize. It forcibly stays on top.

PDVD 16 is running in "TV" mode full screen as the default. I did the launch / quit / relaunch cycle with PDVD. But I will re-check that and confirm it is running fullscreen in TV mode.