External player support

jscoys

Sorry I did not mean to offend you I do not rip discs I use any DVD to block cinvisa the 3d I have is not many but are not double the people that I get them from use dvdfab and said it not easy and need to be set right so sorry if I offended

soundsnake8

Sorry I did not mean to offend you I do not rip discs I use any DVD to block cinvisa the 3d I have is not many but are not double the people that I get them from use dvdfab and said it not easy and need to be set right so sorry if I offended

JMR you did not offend me at all do not worry. I searched many A/V sites over the past few years about 3D and there is a lot of confusing information. So I started ripping 3D discs to folders as I said using AnyDVD HD. I have never had a positive outcome using DVD FAB so I stay away from it. DVD FAB is also extremely pricy and there are other programs that do a better job (iMO). If you have a very large hard drive and can rip 3D's to folder they do load faster and I do like that a lot. So what I am saying is experiment and see what you like. It's your HTPC make it work the way you want !

All the best

Soundsnake8 :)

ShoutingMan

Understanding the interplay of Emby and the external player, it's working better now. I'm not crazy about the need to quit PDVD after each viewing. But given the tips here, it should be workable.

ShoutingMan

External Player has been working well for me since sorting out the nuances of its behavior. As suggested, I created buttons to Launch Emby (Win-1) and a Quit App button (Alt-Shift-F4). When I play an ISO from Emby, it minimizes and launches PDVD. When I'm done in PDVD, I quit it and Emby pops up a second or two later.

I've got PDVD 15 set up on 3 HTPC's along with ET. All works flawless. I set up a Flirc device to control the basic function of PDVD and ET. Setup I have is,

External Player you add is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDMount.exe

If you haven't installed PDVD yet, the autoplay for Windows will setup as PowerDVD right off the back. If not, Go to Control panel and go under autoplay and change the settings Play Blu-ray Discs (PowerDVD 15)

Once PDVD is installed, make sure its in FULLSCREEN MODE!! Otherwise, it will not show powerdvd from ET. When its in fullscreen mode, it will stay fullscreen even after you exit.

You can also set it in cinema mode too! it will also load automatically!

If some of you haven't figured out how to close out PDVD to get back to ET, You have to use ALT + F4. I have that programmed with Flirc as my stop button on the TV remote.

ANYDVD HD is installed too to detect cinavia.

I hope this is understandable, Not good with instructions but any questions please ask. I've used quite a few different front end and this tops them all but it would be perfect once we don't need external player :).

I forgot to add that is all done on windows 10

Edited by cash84
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I hope you can help. I have searched google and the forums for instructions on how to setup PDVD 16 with ET. Can you point me in the right direction? I'm a long time ET user but a novice to code. The built in player drives me crazier than I already am.

I hope you can help. I have searched google and the forums for instructions on how to setup PDVD 16 with ET. Can you point me in the right direction? I'm a long time ET user but a novice to code. The built in player drives me crazier than I already am.

Hi @@Zues. You do not need to do any coding. What is your issue with the internal player?

GhostRider

It is straight forward with PowerDVD 16 as they have removed the intermediate command line program launcher.

In ET settings under playback select external player

click Add

Select media type video

manually enter the path to powerDVD.exe. Standard install path is (no need to quote):

c:\Program Files (x86)\Cyberlink\PowerDVD16\PowerDVD.exe

Check the box enable for video files

Under command arguments enter

{path}

click save

When PowerDVD starts ensure it is in TV mode to fill the screen see this post for details:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/31284-external-player-support/?p=369945

Edited by GhostRider

Hi @@Zues. You do not need to do any coding. What is your issue with the internal player?

Hello Luke,

When I skip forward or backward, the audio and video become out of sync, The only way I found to get it to stop this behavior, besides not watching anything in Emby, is to reboot my computer.

This may be a video card issue or something to do with win10x64? In either case, I think PDVD16 offers increased performance.

It is straight forward with PowerDVD 16 as they have removed the intermediate command line program launcher.

In ET settings under playback select external player

click Add

Select media type video

manually enter the path to powerDVD.exe. Standard install path is (no need to quote):

c:\Program Files (x86)\Cyberlink\PowerDVD16\PowerDVD.exe

Check the box enable for video files

Under command arguments enter

{path}

click save

When PowerDVD starts ensure it is in TV mode to fill the screen see this post for details:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/31284-external-player-support/?p=369945

Ghostrider,

Thank you for your reply. Under the Server settings>Playback, I don't show anything about an external player. Looked in ET settings>playback>on the player PC and nothing like that either. What next?

Sorry for the late reply. Had to rebuild my broken system...... :angry:

James, Thanks a lot for the pics...mooocho help. You have confirmed that I was looking in the right place, but on the old version. :)

Yes I got the issue resolved by installing the latest version of ET. I see it now and realize the error(duh) of my ways.

lifespeed

I have a question regarding using MPC-BE64 as an external player.  The latest version implements MadVR 91.5.  I am using the version from Shark007 that uses his implementation of directshow codecs.  I am a big fan of his codec packaging and have been using it since Windows 7 to support media playback.

I have been able to get it to launch DVD folders, which is the main reason I want to use an external player, and just for this specific media format.  Emby Theater internal player does very well for more modern media formats, especially with MadVR.

The problem is that MPC-BE64, when launched from Emby Theater, does not de-interlace the DVD content.  It looks awful.  Yet if I open the DVD folder directly from MPC-BE64 it works great.  Additionally, only a single audio track is available when launched from Emby Theater, while the entire selection of audio tracks are available using MPC-BE64 standalone.  Lastly, Emby Theater does not launch MPC-BE64 to the DVD menu, while using it standalone does.

Ideally when I launch MPC-BE64 from ET I would like it to work as if I had opened a DVD folder directly from MPC-BE64, with de-interlacing functional, starts at the DVD menu, and all selectable tracks are available.  I don't know what ET is doing to cause this issue, but it almost looks as if it isn't passing the path correctly.  If I use the /dvd switch, MPC-BE64 says it can't find the folder, leading me to believe that the path isn't passed correctly.  My folder structure is \movies\specific movie\VIDEO_TS\.  Is there a way I can append something to the path, possibly \VIDEO_TS\ to get MPC-BE64 in the right folder?  It seems I am close, but not quite right.

Currently I am using the command line options:

/fullscreen
{path}

All available command line switches are:

Usage: mpc-hc.exe "pathname" [switches]

"pathname"    The main file or directory to be loaded (wildcards
        allowed, "-" denotes standard input)
/dub "dubname"    Load an additional audio file
/dubdelay "file"    Load an additional audio file shifted with XXms (if
        the file contains "...DELAY XXms...")
/d3dfs        Start rendering in D3D fullscreen mode
/sub "subname"    Load an additional subtitle file
/filter "filtername"    Load DirectShow filters from a dynamic link
        library (wildcards allowed)
/dvd        Run in dvd mode, "pathname" means the dvd
        folder (optional)
/dvdpos T#C    Start playback at title T, chapter C
/dvdpos T#hh:mm    Start playback at title T, position hh:mm:ss
/cd        Load all the tracks of an audio cd or (s)vcd,
        "pathname" means the drive path (optional)
/device        Open the default video device
/open        Open the file, don't automatically start playback
/play        Start playing the file as soon the player is
        launched
/close        Close the player after playback (only works when
        used with /play)
/shutdown    Shutdown the operating system after playback
/standby        Put the operating system in standby mode after playback
/hibernate    Hibernate operating system after playback
/logoff        Log off after playback
/lock        Lock workstation after playback
/monitoroff    Turn off the monitor after playback
/playnext        Open next file in the folder after playback
/fullscreen    Start in full-screen mode
/minimized    Start in minimized mode
/new        Use a new instance of the player
/add        Add "pathname" to playlist, can be combined
        with /open and /play
/randomize    Randomize the playlist
/regvid        Create file associations for video files
/regaud        Create file associations for audio files
/regpl        Create file associations for playlist files
/regall        Create file associations for all supported file types
/unregall        Remove all file associations
/start ms        Start playing at "ms" (= milliseconds)
/startpos hh:mm:ss    Start playing at position hh:mm:ss
/fixedsize w,h    Set a fixed window size
/monitor N    Start player on monitor N, where N starts from 1
/audiorenderer N    Start using audiorenderer N, where N starts from 1
        (see "Output" settings)
/shaderpreset "Pr"    Start using "Pr" shader preset
/pns "name"    Specify Pan&Scan preset name to use
/iconsassoc    Reassociate format icons
/nofocus        Open MPC-HC in background
/webport N    Start web interface on specified port
/debug        Show debug information in OSD
/nocrashreporter    Disable the crash reporter
/slave "hWnd"    Use MPC-HC as slave
/hwgpu "index"    Set the index of the GPU used for hardware decoding.
        Only available for CUVID and DXVA2 (copy-back).
/reset        Restore default settings
/help /h /?    Show help about command line switches
Edited by lifespeed

• 2 weeks later...
lifespeed

Ideally when I launch MPC-BE64 from ET I would like it to work as if I had opened a DVD folder directly from MPC-BE64, with de-interlacing functional, starts at the DVD menu, and all selectable tracks are available.  I don't know what ET is doing to cause this issue, but it almost looks as if it isn't passing the path correctly.  If I use the /dvd switch, MPC-BE64 says it can't find the folder, leading me to believe that the path isn't passed correctly.  My folder structure is \movies\specific movie\VIDEO_TS\.  Is there a way I can append something to the path, possibly \VIDEO_TS\ to get MPC-BE64 in the right folder?  It seems I am close, but not quite right.

Currently I am using the command line options:

/fullscreen

{path}

Any help on this?  I think I just need to pass the correct path to MPC-BE64, possibly appending something like \VIDEO_TS\ to point the external player to the DVD folder.  Can I edit or append to the {path} passed to the external player?

Edited by lifespeed

• 2 months later...

@@JMGNYC

@@lifespeed

@@solabc16

@@Zeus

@@GhostRider

@@ShoutingMan

@@soundsnake8

@@JMR

@@cash84

@@Della Dog

@@MSacre

@@ChrisSHouston

@@Grenth

@@Valve1138

@@xliv

@@Heuer

@@LuizFeitosa

@@Delphi

@@heula

@@Teddy

The next release of Emby Theater will feature improved performance, hardware acceleration, and better multi-monitor support. I don't think you will want to use external players anymore.

If you'd like to try it out ahead of time you can do so here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46763-theater-mpv-test/page-1

Enjoy.

• Like 1

lifespeed

Will try, thanks for the heads up.  For me, the main attraction of the external player was handling DVD folder format.  Unfortunately, the reality is some of these titles are best left in original DVD format.  A good would example would be rock concerts with audio configuration and track playlists.  Ripping to MKV is not ideal for these.  So far I have found the internal player largely unable to handle DVD folders.

Will check the new version.

Heuer

+1 Excellent news as using an external player has always marred the user experience.

soundsnake8

So I just tried the new version and it is heads above the previous player ! Picture quality is exceptional all the features are there. Love it !!

I can not get it to mount an iso. does that work the same way as the old version ? I checked the same boxes i.e. Blu Ray iso {path} and spinning circle for about 5 seconds and nothing after that. I realize this is the first release of a new version and I really really love the 2d player ...a major leap forward

Thanks you very much

@@JMGNYC

@@lifespeed

@@solabc16

@@Zeus

@@GhostRider

@@ShoutingMan

@@soundsnake8

@@JMR

@@cash84

@@Della Dog

@@MSacre

@@ChrisSHouston

@@Grenth

@@Valve1138

@@xliv

@@Heuer

@@LuizFeitosa

@@Delphi

@@heula

@@Teddy

The new release is up on the website. I think many of you will no longer feel the need to use an external player. Please try it out and report your experience. Thanks !

GhostRider

Hi Luke

I gave the new release a quick test on my general PC. First impressions are good, image quality on the opening sequence of Aliens looks promising; that dark moody, contrasty opening can be a challenge to view but the new ET coped well.

Will need to do some more testing on my HTPC and surround sound system to do a proper test.

I did notice that watching a new film did not flag the movie as watched, maybe because I stopped part way though. Do you need to reach the end of the film now to flag as watched? Just that I never watch the end credits so will test this more later.

Edited by GhostRider