FrontView+ [for Windows]iMon replacement, NowPlaying 2nd Screen

GlennNZ

Thanks Glenn, I kept the server on my laptop and installed Frontview and Plex Media Player on a desktop. The remote connection went fine, then when media playback started the frontview screen started to turn, but went to the screen where you add remotes. Same error detail in the log. Boo. Thanks so much for trying though.

Ultimately, if I do roll out Plex, I will have the server installed on a separate machine to the client devices / frontview.

GlennNZ

Thanks Glenn, I kept the server on my laptop and installed Frontview and Plex Media Player on a desktop. The remote connection went fine, then when media playback started the frontview screen started to turn, but went to the screen where you add remotes. Same error detail in the log. Boo. Thanks so much for trying though.

Ultimately, if I do roll out Plex, I will have the server installed on a separate machine to the client devices / frontview.

That's no good. I did set it to default in the remote connection screen - that may make a difference to the connection (no promises)

Glenn

GlennNZ

Thanks for trying to find a quick fix for me! Didn't work though :-(

Same error message in logs.

Hi

Sorry - seemed I wasn't on the latest version of Plex - when updated it had same issue as you.

They have updated security and now everything seems to need to included the PlexToken  (previously used to use browser to go to IP:32400/clients or IP:32400/sessions - now when you try with browser get unauthorised)

Try this new remote dll attached and see how you go.

Glenn

Remote.Plex.zip

Thanks, but unfortunately still no go. I tried it with 3 plex clients (Win 10 app / Plex Media Player / Web browser) it connects okay when they are open and present on the same computer as Frontview (Plex server on a different computer) but when playback starts, still no 'Now Playing' Screen - Frontview does not respond at all.

Different error codes in the log this time - nothing understandable to me, so I have attached it.

On the off chance that you have the time and / or inclination to take a look at some point!

Edited by Guest

GlennNZ

Thanks, but unfortunately still no go. I tried it with 3 plex clients (Win 10 app / Plex Media Player / Web browser) it connects okay when they are open and present on the same computer as Frontview (Ples server on a different computer) but when playback starts, still no 'Now Playing' Screen - Frontview does not respond at all.

Different error codes in the log this time - nothing understandable to me, so I have attached it.

On the off chance that you have the time and / or inclination to take a look at some point!

Thanks,

I believe it relates to the file you playing having a larger value that was previously possible.  May work with different files.

But I need to update the classes (obviously there have been some changes here as well)

Glenn

A-ha! Success  :D

You are right, I tried with some very low quality files and Frontview sprung to life - hurrah!

The progress bar seemed to update every 10 seconds, so not as smooth as Emby - but really good to see that is has potential and there is hope!!

Thanks so much.

lisa

GlennNZ

A-ha! Success  :D

You are right, I tried with some very low quality files and Frontview sprung to life - hurrah!

The progress bar seemed to update every 10 seconds, so not as smooth as Emby - but really good to see that is has potential and there is hope!!

Thanks so much.

lisa

Hi

New Plex remote version attached - think have nailed down {most} issues  (and found separate issue relating to buffering state - sometimes meant didn't change to nowPlaying screen)

Progress update - is as quick as server updates clients (Frontview checks same amount of time for each connection)  Variable with different clients - the old Home Theatre Plex client takes a few minutes to update at the Plex Server.  (making FV almost unusable)

I notice that on your log that your monitor is DDC compliant - how do you find it?  I find it incredibly useful to dim the screen to black after a period of time/probably more useful with projector setup though.

Try this new remote/one: (attached)

Glenn

Remote.Plex.135.zip

Edited by GlennNZ

Glenn - fantastic - that works lovely, thanks so much, I'll hit the donation button!

I have not used the DDC features, I am testing Plex on a non HTPC desktop and laptop. Still using Emby on my main HTPC, and that second monitor is not DDC compliant. Having many playback issues with Emby though, so looking at trying Plex instead, however, not being able to use Frontview was a deal breaker - but now it all looks good  :)

GlennNZ

Glenn - fantastic - that works lovely, thanks so much, I'll hit the donation button!

I have not used the DDC features, I am testing Plex on a non HTPC desktop and laptop. Still using Emby on my main HTPC, and that second monitor is not DDC compliant. Having many playback issues with Emby though, so looking at trying Plex instead, however, not being able to use Frontview was a deal breaker - but now it all looks good :)

Hey! Thanks a lot - glad it all works okay' ish....

Probably shouldn't say on this forum - but I'm still using 'the other Frontview remote option' Dsplayer version 16. Backend with madvr, takes a little bit of setup but very customisable and yet to beat picture quality.

Also get 'relevant fanart' on Frontview - which is quite cool (if I do say so myself!) see here:

https://youtu.be/Io0AQPlM94E

& latest version:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223175&pid=2327445#pid2327445

Glenn

Edited by GlennNZ

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Glenn, I hope all is good!

I have just started rolling out Plex properly at home, and there is a little issue with Frontview+ - it stays stuck on the Now Playing screen when playback stops.

So, if I watch a show, it works lovely until I press stop, then it just stays on the Now Playing Screen, even though no video is playing.

If I start playing a new video, it catches up and switches over to show details of the new video currently playing okay,

But if I exit the Plex player completely, then Frontview+ still remains on the Now Playing Screen showing the details of the last thing watched.

Not a huge deal, but if it is an easy(ish) fix, it would be cool to have it work as smoothly as it does with Emby.

Thanks!

lisa

UPDATE: Actually - it might be that Plex Server is not releasing the file from 'Now Playing' for a few minutes - don't waste your time looking into this, it might be a plex issue not a frontview issue, leave it with me, I am just getting to grips with plex for the first time!

GlennNZ

UPDATE: Actually - it might be that Plex Server is not releasing the file from 'Now Playing' for a few minutes - don't waste your time looking into this, it might be a plex issue not a frontview issue, leave it with me, I am just getting to grips with plex for the first time!

I think you are right.

The plex server doesn't update what is playing or not for a while - the time seems to depend on the player used. The new player is much quicker than the old player which does take minutes.

(Frontview pulls the status from the plex server (and for plex finds the local playback) - it is this status which is only slowly updated)

Glenn

Yes, you are right. I have the new PMP in one room, and the server seems to respond to that almost instantly. I have to re-install Windows on my HTPC in the lounge, where I have Frontview+, as the new player is only for 64 bit windows, and I have 32 bit on that machine, hence using the older player for now. Grr. 

Hello all,

excited to get FV+ working but for the life off me i can't, have installed FV+ windows app on a htpc running win10 and have the emby plugin for FV+

looking at emby thearter for remote control and what not, can use emby   around the house no probs but can not get the remote settings in FV+ correct always get bad parameters. trying to find out if my emby logon and password are to blame. because using emby connect L and PW.(trying to post log) 

local ip or remote ip, FV+ and emby server on same machine

Edited by John007

GlennNZ

think i got it  :) attachicon.gifPlugins.pdfattachicon.gifFrontView+.log

No sure whether that means or good or not!

Thanks for the log! (Yah!)

(the FrontView Plugin setup looks fine)

Sorry Latest Version is this one: (will update main page)

https://github.com/Ghawken/FrontView/releases/tag/1.200

Does appear that it is username/password issue as your server isn't allowing connection with those details.

I recommend creating a separate Emby User for FrontView+ --> fairly straightforward in Emby Server Settings.

Use that username and password - I'm sure thats where the issue comes from.

Glenn

Edited by GlennNZ

Hi Glenn,

Sorry to be a a pain!

I am getting some errors with Frontview not switching to Now Playing screen on certain files, it may be related to a Plex Media Server update.

The log entry seems to be this one:

Exception in NowPlaying Plex SystemSystem.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (6, 207). ---> System.OverflowException: Value was either too large or too small for a UInt16.

I'm attaching the whole log, as it sounds complicated!

lisa

Edited by Guest

GlennNZ

Hi Glenn,

Sorry to be a a pain!

I am getting some errors with Frontview not switching to Now Playing screen on certain files, it may be related to a Plex Media Server update.

The log entry seems to be this one:

Exception in NowPlaying Plex SystemSystem.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (6, 207). ---> System.OverflowException: Value was either too large or too small for a UInt16.

I'm attaching the whole log, as it sounds complicated!

lisa

Hi

Thanks for the log!

It will be because plex is now using a larger number than Frontview is expecting. The issue it is often hard to know what attribute is now larger - as log doesn't display them for various reasons. In the recent past with plex it was because of resume position.

But will have a look at the log and try to replicate when I can.

Glenn

Okay, thankyou!

It seems to be just the recorded TV files that aren't working, they are .ts files and imported as a home videos library. The TV Shows and Films libraries seem okay. I did re-import the recorded tv files as a TV show library, to see if that would be a workaround, but they still don't work. Boo  :(

GlennNZ

Okay, thankyou!

It seems to be just the recorded TV files that aren't working, they are .ts files and imported as a home videos library. The TV Shows and Films libraries seem okay. I did re-import the recorded tv files as a TV show library, to see if that would be a workaround, but they still don't work. Boo :(

Thanks

Might have to put together test logging build to check - as i don't have any ts files to check against.

(It's a bit of a pain as I can either log the output to check what the issue is - or I can save it for frontviews use - can't do both so the the log doesn't help much in this circumstance)

Having a think - as to whether can give you HTML to query Plex yourself

If can post output from:

http://192.168.1.1:32400/status/sessions?X-Plex-Token=9vNm6dAxWyWkqxfznJqA

Whilst playing the problematic file - that should enable troubleshooting of details.

The issue you need a PlexToken to access - I have taken that one from log.  But not sure how  long they last for.

See here to find token;

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/240087/poll-media-server-for-transcoding

If no luck - just wait and will look a test logging build in next day or so.

Glenn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by GlennNZ

GlennNZ

Thanks for this Glenn.

I attach the output file, the token seemed to work okay.

Also, I have done a quick ten minute recording, checked that it has the issue and uploaded it here as a test file (hopefully you can access it okay if you need it)!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0cy2zjyxjx352af/AAA8jTP-u5_ufydVnLaRebFDa?dl=0

lisa

Thanks

Try this - replace Remote.Plex.dll in (Plugins directory) with this one.

Think have fixed - but limited ability to test.

Glenn

Remote.Plex.1.140.zip