FrontView+ [for Windows]iMon replacement, NowPlaying 2nd Screen

GlennNZ

GlennNZ

Set fanart always -> no changes, still grey screen. if i click on the remote icon i can get to front view.

If it helps it broke after 1.233.

Display 2 is set to 800x600. Still have the scaling issue.

After I posted I swapped receiver. the new one has hdmi passthrough even when off. With the new receiver I haven't noticed screen swapping yet.

Thanks.  Pretty sure have found the screen not in front issue.  But will be a few hours before I can compile a new version.

Swapping screens - sounds was receiver issue.  

Frontview recalculates the screen everytime there is a screenevent (new screenadded, resolution change etc).  

If the screen was being plugged/unplugged then yes it would jump around.

You can disable the re-positioning by setting:

<DisableResolutionDetection>true</DisableResolutionDetection>

This will mean though if screens plug/unplug or sleep it won't recheck.

Scaling:

May be a windows 8 issue; unfortunately.

(Windows 8.1 changes DPI settings and then Windows 10 fixes a lot of issues again)

Code-wise I cannot force 1:1 scaling from Frontview - given the wpf nature of the code.

Sorry - just remembered that you can set this within the Frontview+ exe properties: (for example)

7vr3t.png

Glenn

Edited by GlennNZ

GlennNZ

Hi

Tracked down the issue - was a single Hidden versus Visible in the xaml file; which I hadn't changed back (oops).

Was only apparent if had Home screen as default screen, if used, new, best home screen:Time/Weather as default screen didn't occur.

Fixed now:

Build 241 being uploaded now.

Here:

https://github.com/Ghawken/FrontView/releases

I would hope this build, complied with this setting to be set in Frontview+.exe properties by you,fixes your remaining issues.

7vr3t.png

Let me know.

Thanks

Glenn

Edited by GlennNZ

jjstecchino

Hi Glenn, thank you very much. 1.241 fixes the grey screen issue. The one thing I noticed that the little hourglass near the remote stays on even after the library refresh has completed. Is it related to me not having weather set up as well?

Regarding scaling, I am running windows 10, latest patch. The disable scaling on high DPI compatibility property seems to be set by default.

Scaling on the FV+ display still not working

GlennNZ

Hi Glenn, thank you very much. 1.241 fixes the grey screen issue. The one thing I noticed that the little hourglass near the remote stays on even after the library refresh has completed. Is it related to me not having weather set up as well?

Regarding scaling, I am running windows 10, latest patch. The disable scaling on high DPI compatibility property seems to be set by default.

Scaling on the FV+ display still not working

Bugger. Oh well one step forward at least. The hour glass will be downloading thumbs and like - does take a fair while before done.

The disable dpi scaling was a installer setting on previous installs so probably left over. Could try disabling it and see whether any different behavior/selecting Frontview different resolutions may also help (As they are all scaled - bigger smaller may end up with what you need) For example 1024x768 at 125% scaling is effectively 800x600 and setting this resolution within Frontview (when screen is 1024x768 scaling 125%) may give you desired end result

Also have a look at the various windows dpi settings and she whether anything can effect any significant change. Multiple google links

It may be that the Windows creators update (which has changed dpi settings) is responsible. There are a couple of app based setting here I can try though/

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2017/04/04/high-dpi-scaling-improvements-desktop-applications-windows-10-creators-update/

I'll have a look in the light of day and try testing on a VM Windows 10 machine and see if can replicate.

Glenn

Edited by GlennNZ

GlennNZ

Okay:

Have uploaded two test exe replacements if above suggestions don't help.

Replace the frontview.exe with each one of these and test/try

(Windows 10 security may need you to right click on exe file and Trust or similar setting)

Let me know

Glenn

jjstecchino

Okay:

Have uploaded two test exe replacements if above suggestions don't help.

Replace the frontview.exe with each one of these and test/try

(Windows 10 security may need you to right click on exe file and Trust or similar setting)

Let me know

Glenn

Hi Glenn, 

Tried 1.243, added the dpiaware and dpiawarenes entries to the configuration file. Here is what I get after I restart pc and front view: 

post-2500-0-64189600-1498780742_thumb.jpg

post-2500-0-51111600-1498780803_thumb.jpg

GlennNZ

Hi Glenn, 

Tried 1.243, added the dpiaware and dpiawarenes entries to the configuration file. Here is what I get after I restart pc and front view: 

Sorry - miscommunication - the dpiaware settings are in the exe file already.

Dont need to change config file - may cause other issues

(I just put them there to remind me which one had what setting)

G

GlennNZ

Hmm

That doesn't necessarily look like scaling to me - more like positioning.

Select 800x600 in Frontview and select Force Resolution and see what happens

(may need to change in settings.xml file - or change display in settings file and then alter settings before selecting display2)

Glenn

jjstecchino

Force resolution and 800x600 makes no difference. Agree now scaling seems right, but positioning is not. I noticed the position of the front view UI changes relative to the second monitor display area, depending  on where you place the second monitor respect to the first, to clarify you get a different kind of front view displacement if you place display 2 on top right, top center, top left etc in display setting 

GlennNZ

Force resolution and 800x600 makes no difference. Agree now scaling seems right, but positioning is not. I noticed the position of the front view UI changes relative to the second monitor display area, depending  on where you place the second monitor respect to the first, to clarify you get a different kind of front view displacement if you place display 2 on top right, top center, top left etc in display setting 

Thanks

The Dpi changes have buggered up the second screen positioning -- seeing what I can do now.

Can you try this exe, won't change anything - but logs a whole lot of positioning stuff.

Then post the log currently but also log of scaling set to 100% for both displays.

Thanks!

FrontView.zip

GlennNZ

Here are the logs at 100% and 200%. display2 located on the top left of display 1

Thanks

Is 100% DPI/Scaling for both screens - the 100% log - mean that Frontview is correctly positioned?

jjstecchino

Thanks

Is 100% DPI/Scaling for both screens - the 100% log - mean that Frontview is correctly positioned?

yes 100% on both front view correct

GlennNZ

Here are the logs at 100% and 200%. display2 located on the top left of display 1

yes 100% on both front view correct

Thanks

Going down the rabbit hole.

Have updated to .net 4.6.2 (which is permonitor dpi aware) and may change behaviour.

Have also improved some logging and think I am close.

Can you try this exe?

Post the log - should be close to getting all the info.

Also can try

<DisableScreenPositioning>true</DisableScreenPositioning>

in settings.xml

Glenn

FrontView.zip

GlennNZ

Behavior seems identical to previous version. here are the logs

Thanks

Do you have the disableDPI setting configured in the exe properties?

Glenn

jjstecchino

disable DPI in compatibility was not set for those logs i sent you. Do you want me to try with it set?

GlennNZ

disable DPI in compatibility was not set for those logs i sent you. Do you want me to try with it set?

Yes - thanks

Might explain different behaviour in your logs

Glenn

jjstecchino

with override DPI the scaling is wrong. without front view scales correctly but position is wrong

jjstecchino

Glenn where in the code do you handle screen positioning and resolution?

If you don't mind i'll be glad to take a look

GlennNZ

Its in Yatse2Window.cs - line 2519

Basically the issue is to calculate the screen position for the window takes X,Y cooridinates.

With 100% scaling its easy - the X,Y for 2nd screen is one whole screen over and/or 0 depending.

With scaling of the first screen there is a variable change in this X,Y value.

The previous code to pull the DPI scaling - no longer seems to in Windows Creator Update.

Really hard for me to test - because need a Windows 10 machine with two monitors which I don't have up and running.

Have a solution now though - basically working around it.

Give me a sec.

Glenn

GlennNZ

Ok

Heres Build 250 - which avoids the problem altogether by letting you override the screen positioning manually.

Run

Go into FrontVIew Settings and click Save to create new entries (may need it on 100% scaling to get access to)

Within settings.xml are two new entries

ScreenPositionX

ScreenPositionY

These are ignored if both 0 - and current behaviour continues.

If these are not zero they are used for the final positon of the FrontView screen.

Its hard to work out what they should be:

But you working log (with 100% scaling) had them both at

X at 0

Y at -600

200% scaling - FrontView was using

X at 0

Y at -1200

Hoping setting them to X/Y first works

Sorry have X and Y reversed - will fix

But for moment just use reverse

Glenn

FrontView.zip

Edited by GlennNZ

jjstecchino

Allright, this is crazy! I thought windows coords system were (0,0) on Top, Left, x -> horizontal, y -> vertical.

I was able to correctly position the front view ui with a ScreenPositionX= -600, Y=0, scaling 150%

Do you have x and y inverted somewhere?

GlennNZ

Allright, this is crazy! I thought windows coords system were (0,0) on Top, Left, x -> horizontal, y -> vertical.

I was able to correctly position the front view ui with a ScreenPositionX= -600, Y=0, scaling 150%

Do you have x and y inverted somewhere?

Sorry - had to keep you on your toes!

You obviously missed my edited post above - yep X/Y reverse.

Will fix.

That's interesting that the old scaling 600 etc (100%) works - so essentially probably need to get the DPI scaling amounts through another mechanism and divide to go back.

(the previous DPI get method does not work on your system - and I have tried a couple)

Glenn