FrontView+ [for Windows]iMon replacement, NowPlaying 2nd Screen

GlennNZ

These look good, thanks for all your hard work! You say they are on the movie details screen, any chance they could be on the now playing screen for both movies and tv episodes?

GlennNZ

These look good, thanks for all your hard work! You say they are on the movie details screen, any chance they could be on the now playing screen for both movies and tv episodes?

Ones work is never done!

Maybe. I'm sure not where though as their isn't much room on the nowplaying screen.

Also the nowplaying information is completely different to the library information received. Probably able to patch together some info but won't be as complete as that pulled by library screen

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for this! This is what I have been needing since Win10 got rid of MCE.  I have two questions.

1) I'm running Kodi 15.2 but was thinking about updating to 16.1. Will this work with 16.1?

2) How much work would it be to get the program to listen to remote control commands? That way we could do without Soundgraph Software completely

Many thanks

Thank you very much for this! This is what I have been needing since Win10 got rid of MCE. I have two questions.

1) I'm running Kodi 15.2 but was thinking about updating to 16.1. Will this work with 16.1?

2) How much work would it be to get the program to listen to remote control commands? That way we could do without Soundgraph Software completely

Many thanks

Hi

No problem at all with Kodi Krypton - there is a new remote connection version specifically for this Kodi version in the later versions (but the old remote works fine as well!)

Remote commands probably not possible given low level of this support and drivers etc. What I have done and recommend though is to buy a usb remote something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Remote-Control-Windows-Center/dp/B00ENH9APC

Which typically just plug ins and Windows recognizes. Gets rid of all the imon driver button issues and 'just works'. Obviously just use a learning remote with the usb reciever.

(You'll see that it won't break the bank at $8!)

There is a Kodi thread here as well

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259087&action=newpost

Glenn

• Like 1

Version 1.99 Beta

Addition of DDC/CI Monitor Settings Control:

Under DDC/Amp Tab to Settings screen - will only work with monitors that support DDC (and unsure re USB Monitors)
Allows FrontView to control the monitor settings directly (same as adjusting monitor OSD settings)

Enables FrontView to completely lower brightness and contrast during playback - avoiding a blank yet still 'bright' screen
Only usable on monitors that support (I'm told most newer ones do) USB Monitors I'm unsure about (DisplayDriver relates limited support for some)

eg.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_Data_Channel

Another app - to check if monitor(s)/screens compatible with DDC Control

http://clickmonitorddc.bplaced.net/

Test button in settings screen to check - If monitor supported on Press screen will dim and on release screen will return to previous brightness/contrast.

VERY interested in feedback - as to what monitors support?

Currently from my testing appears SilverStone iMon SG7 LCD Screen does not support (pity - as that is why I added it!)

Add MediaIcons to NowPlaying Movie Screen:

Very limited screen real estate. Happy to take suggestions for placement/Hence Beta

Todo: Add checkbox to remove displaying icons in NowPlaying screen (?480 height screens best not shown)

Fix don't show MediaIcons in NowPlaying MovieDetails Screen

Add NowPlaying MediaIcons support to Kodi remotes

Change to remote Version numbers Emby - just use first 3 digits (eg. 3.1 etc)
(avoids the need to continuously update remote with new Emby Server versions)

eg. New Settings Screen Details

57d6902a2f504_DDCMonitorControl.png

from

https://github.com/Ghawken/FrontView/releases

Glenn

Edited by GlennNZ

This is most excellent indeed - Thank you so much  :D

1. My monitor does not respond to the dimming - it is a 15 inch Dell Monitor connected via VGA to motherboard (main display is a TV connected via HDMI and through a Sony AVR). I don't really need this function anyway, but thought you might be interested to know which hardware is working.

2. The media type logos could be bigger for me (on now playing screen), and moving the logo size slider all the way to the left or all the way to the right does not affect their size

3. The media type logos are a little hard to read against a light background, fine against a dark background, maybe they could be made a little less transclucent?

4. No media type logos on TV Series, but there are on films and recorded TV.

I really like the changes though!

lisa

Thanks for the feedback!

This is most excellent indeed - Thank you so much :D

1. My monitor does not respond to the dimming - it is a 15 inch Dell Monitor connected via VGA to motherboard (main display is a TV connected via HDMI and through a Sony AVR). I don't really need this function anyway, but thought you might be interested to know which hardware is working.

Interesting. My Dell monitors works well. I would have thought that most dells would support. It's possible there is a monitor setttings somewhere for DDI/CI enabling - but would have thought would be default on. Welcome to update post with monitor info if like and I'll look up.

2. The media type logos could be bigger for me (on now playing screen), and moving the logo size slider all the way to the left or all the way to the right does not affect their size

Need to click save after adjusting size slider. Sure that will fix the problem.

3. The media type logos are a little hard to read against a light background, fine against a dark background, maybe they could be made a little less transclucent?

There are skinable.

Add new media icons to a separate non-default skin (otherwise will be deleted with update). and FrontView+ will use those. They use Emby default naming - and a few options for download on Emby forums.

4. No media type logos on TV Series, but there are on films and recorded TV.

OK.

Haven't enabled for TV series as yet - again it comes down to positioning.

I really like the changes though!

lisa

Thanks! Great to get some feedback

Glenn

Thanks Glenn,

I just realised that I was moving the logo size slider and looking for the media type icons to change size, sorry, my fault, it is working as intended!

I also had a go at creating a new skin as you suggested, and use custom media type icons it worked okay apart from the size seems to be fixed, so even if I put really big ones in there they show up really small on the Now Playing Screen.

lisa

Thanks Glenn,

I just realised that I was moving the logo size slider and looking for the media type icons to change size, sorry, my fault, it is working as intended!

I also had a go at creating a new skin as you suggested, and use custom media type icons it worked okay apart from the size seems to be fixed, so even if I put really big ones in there they show up really small on the Now Playing Screen.

lisa

Hi

The size of the new ones should also be selected by the mediaIcons size slider?

Is it not?

Glenn

Hi

The size of the new ones should also be selected by the mediaIcons size slider?

Is it not?

Glenn

Aaaaaaa! I hadn't found the new media icon slider, only the logo size slider. That works and is fantastic - thank you  :D

Any way I can enable the icons for TV Series from my end?

lisa

Aaaaaaa! I hadn't found the new media icon slider, only the logo size slider. That works and is fantastic - thank you :D

Any way I can enable the icons for TV Series from my end?

lisa

Afraid not.

Needs another build.

And I need to decide where to put them??

Easy on 800x600 or 1024x768 screens; a lot more difficult to look good on 800x480 screen thought. Just not enough screen.

Will hopefully get on and get finalised with option to disable NowPlaying MediaIcons altogether somewhere.

Glenn

Edited by GlennNZ

I have adjusted the mediatype logos to make them a little easier to read against a light background, I am sharing them here, in case they help anyone else.

I wonder if you had thought about their location being in the top left hand corner? Users could then maybe choose to have the cover bigger or smaller or the media icons bigger or smaller, depending on what they would prefer to have in that area of the screen? Just a suggestion!

Also, I like to have the font size set to very large so that it is easy to read the timer counter at the bottom of the screen, but there is a problem with the tv episode title then being so big that it does not display properly in the space it has allocated to it. I have tried to adjust some values in the skin file myself, to either make the font smaller or the box that the text sits in bigger, but have failed to find the right value(s). I wonder if you could give me any pointers?

Thanks!

lisa

Icons.7z

I have adjusted the mediatype logos to make them a little easier to read against a light background, I am sharing them here, in case they help anyone else.

I wonder if you had thought about their location being in the top left hand corner? Users could then maybe choose to have the cover bigger or smaller or the media icons bigger or smaller, depending on what they would prefer to have in that area of the screen? Just a suggestion!

Also, I like to have the font size set to very large so that it is easy to read the timer counter at the bottom of the screen, but there is a problem with the tv episode title then being so big that it does not display properly in the space it has allocated to it. I have tried to adjust some values in the skin file myself, to either make the font smaller or the box that the text sits in bigger, but have failed to find the right value(s). I wonder if you could give me any pointers?

Thanks!

lisa

Thanks for sharing.

Top left has the back arrow is only issue and most of info in lower screen with artwork up high- so might look a bit messy. You are welcome to mock it up to try to convince!

Will fix the tv episode title - should be fairly easy - just not auto sizing down depending on text length. Hopefully not famous last works.

Have found a fantastic ddc/ci control compatible 10 inch touch screen. GeChic onlap 1002.

http://www.gechic.com/product_help_en.asp?s=15

Ddc controls work yah, touchscreen works properly yah!

Means that can put case away in cabinet and have touchscreen out for control.

Only negative is cable management not brilliant - waiting for 90 connectors to tidy cables away.

Finally have DDC working on other than coding computer. Can have touchscreen super bright - then dims with playback (still quite reasonable backlight) and 5-10 seconds later drops screen brightness/backlight to zero. (Made some fixes to DDC code )

So far so good.

(Teething problems fixed...with a few more checks...)

Glenn

Edited by GlennNZ

Excellent, thank you!

I tried to do the mock up and failed, I've not got the skills, or the software.

But I was thinking about the little bit of space above the cover art and below the back arrow for the mediatype icons.

With the user being able to select the size of the cover art and the size of the icons, this could be useful for choosing which has prominance in that area of the screen.

But.. it's just an idea, and you know what will work in actuality!

New Release 1.200

Fix for Save Settings if Blank Items.
Fixes for DDC when slow to later check connection possible.
More DDC logic fixes 
Add Checkbox box to disable nowPlaying MediaIcons
Installer registry changes to mark Frontview+.exe as HPIDPIAWARE
Add nosplashscreen CmdLine argument option to disable splashscreen (run Frontview.exe nosplashscreen - to disable splash)
Changes for DisplayScreen to enable better support for unusual screen setups/Virtual Desktops (rewriting the DisplayScreen code)

Add Option to NOT show MediaIcons on NowPlaying Screen
Now Shows MediaIcons on TV NowPlaying screen
Fix for TV NowPlaying Title size issues
Changed MediaIcons to slightly darker versions  (thanks for these! lisag)
Remove wyUpdate Code (may revisit later)

57dca60935d7a_1200MediaIcons.png

57dca61eb5769_1200NewCheckBox.png

https://github.com/Ghawken/FrontView/releases

Glenn

Edited by GlennNZ

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Glenn, just wondering if Frontview+ is working with Plex? Initially I did get it to connect to a Plex Server, but it didn't do anything when media was played back, now it won't connect at all. Is there a particular version that might work better with Plex, or is support for Plex no longer active?

GlennNZ

Hi Glenn, just wondering if Frontview+ is working with Plex? Initially I did get it to connect to a Plex Server, but it didn't do anything when media was played back, now it won't connect at all. Is there a particular version that might work better with Plex, or is support for Plex no longer active?

Hi,

Plex is bordering on unsupported.

From version 1.185 following a Kodi forum request - I had a look at the plex code and updated the plex remote (there had been a lot of plex changes).

At that stage it was connecting to server correctly and displaying NowPlaying information. (There has never been any library support for Plex)

Plex NowPlaying info is also limited to the local plex client that is also running Frontview. There is no way to select other clients for playback information.

Presume it's still working - but I'll check at some point in time

:)

Glenn

GlennNZ

Hi 

Plex made some server changes which broke everything - seems that these changes arent particularly well documented either :(

With a bit of trial and error I have updated the Plugins Plex.dll and have attached here:

Replace Remote.Plex.dll in Plugins directory with this version.

Again; limited support only and interest in extending that support (or even continuing it) is fading as trial-and-error is very time consuming and not much fun.

Anyhow - try this one and see how goes.  (unzip and replace Remote.Plex.dll file with this later version 1.125)

Glenn

Remote.Plex.zip

Hi Glenn, I very much appreciate your time on this, and I understand that you may not want to continue support with Plex (I am only testing it out at the moment as Emby Theatre is causing me a lot of issues).

The new RemotePlex.dll file allows me to connect both via actual IP and local (127.0.0.1), but Frontview then doesn't do anything when playback starts - won't switch to the Now Playing screen. I have tried with playing back media in the web server, Plex Windows 10 app, Plex Media Player and Plex Home Theatre.

lisa

GlennNZ

Hi Glenn, I very much appreciate your time on this, and I understand that you may not want to continue support with Plex (I am only testing it out at the moment as Emby Theatre is causing me a lot of issues).

The new RemotePlex.dll file allows me to connect both via actual IP and local (127.0.0.1), but Frontview then doesn't do anything when playback starts - won't switch to the Now Playing screen. I have tried with playing back media in the web server, Plex Windows 10 app, Plex Media Player and Plex Home Theatre.

lisa

Did work in my 'limited' testing!

Need to connect to Plex server (which can be remote IP)

BUt NowPlaying Plex support is only for a local client - which means the playback Plex client needs to be on the same computer as FrontView+. (Checked via IP address)

Is that the issue?

Glenn

That's odd then - I wonder why it worked for you. Yes, at the moment, everything is on my laptop - server / frontview / plex apps. Which version of frontview should I use, I have installed and uninstalled several different versions hoping to get one that works!

Okay, latest version with amended plexremote.dll, it does connect but does not show Now Playing screen, I think this is the log entry that matters:

[08:36:07.3480] FrontView+Api-XXX : Cannot connect is server details right System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at Remote.Plex.Api.Xbmc.CheckConnection()

GlennNZ

Okay, latest version with amended plexremote.dll, it does connect but does not show Now Playing screen, I think this is the log entry that matters:

[08:36:07.3480] FrontView+Api-XXX : Cannot connect is server details right System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.

at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()

at Remote.Plex.Api.Xbmc.CheckConnection()

Perhaps.

Mine does work fine. And can't see any quick, obvious fixes in the fifteen minutes I had.

I think the issue is having client and server on same computer - which is going to take a bit more time than have at the moment to troubleshoot.

If you could move server off laptop - that would be same set up to me and should work.

Will try to look at it when can

Glenn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk