FrontView+ [for Windows]iMon replacement, NowPlaying 2nd Screen

GlennNZ

GlennNZ

Ok, so here is a mockup of the mediainfo icons I created. Lemme know what you think.

57ae132daa7b3_Details2.png

They look great!

The code side - particularly database changes might be time issue; CoverArt on Emby allows you to overlay icons on the Covers doesn't it? This might be option meanwhile.

Just had a look - and CovertArt does allow custom icons as well - the default colour ones look a bit naff. They not that huge and ugly on the cover. Might be (easier) option to use your {great} icons as custom ones within CovertArt. They would be on cover - but are reasonably small and tiny. Happy to have a try if like and see what looks like.

The other benefit with this approach (other than no work for me!) is that the icons should be visible on cover flow - so will be able to distinguish 1080p vs 720p version of same movie.

Also haven't forgotten about your remote icon (well actually had) but you screenshot reminded me - meaning to change over to it - just forgotten.

Glenn

Edited by GlennNZ

Xzener

Never been a fan of icon overlays on CoverArt, except to distinguish 3D movies (which I don't use anymore). I'd much rather have them elswhere on the details page, no where else. Just my 2 cents. Now you can see where I was going with dimming the backdrops. ;)

Edited by Xzener

Xzener

Hi,

That's the original layout - which might suit some so didn't want to change it. But did notice was a bit far away and happy to bring down.

Was thinking of also adding option for those on 480 deep screen to drop the large and v large down lower on the screen and have very little reflection so that it fits screen space? Would that be useful?

Glenn

Yes, large and v large could be dropped down a bit too.

GlennNZ

Yes, large and v large could be dropped down a bit too.

Well only in the 480 height screen !

800x600 and above the layout as is is fine

With the smaller height screens resize a bit upwards - will have a look at layout again (haven't revisited this recently) and likely link to the bottom hopefully fixing for 480 and leaving rest unchanged

Glenn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm following these developments with interest. I am using Emby Theatre on the TV, with Frontview+ on a second 15 inch monitor running at 800 x 600. 

I only get the Now playing screen, have I configured something wrong?

Edited by Guest

GlennNZ

Hi

Sorry Lisa I don't follow.

What do mean you only get the nowplaying screen ?

(Does it then minimise or disappear when playback finishes? - if that is the case you have MinimiseAlways On - double click the task bar icon to turn MinimiseAlways Off. (Or change in settings and restart)

Was added a while ago for ability to display info underneath from other programs - but when playback started to show nowplaying)

The manual does explain some of this.

With Minimise Always off (which really most would set it that way) when playback stops you will either have fanart (if have set it up - directories in settings xaml) or the menu selection screen.

Let me know details and happy to help/fix.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by GlennNZ

Hi, sorry, for the bad explanation.

When media playback is on, I get the Now Playing screen, when playback stops, I just get the main settings menu of Frontview. I don't get any library views. I have set it to minimise always so I don't keep seeing the settings menu when playback stops. 

I haven't set up any fanart - sounds like I might need to do that to get the library views?

lisa

GlennNZ

Hi, sorry, for the bad explanation.

When media playback is on, I get the Now Playing screen, when playback stops, I just get the main settings menu of Frontview. I don't get any library views. I have set it to minimise always so I don't keep seeing the settings menu when playback stops.

I haven't set up any fanart - sounds like I might need to do that to get the library views?

lisa

Change your home screen in the settings - likely set to settings screen. (Hence always returns to this selected screen). The home screen has library views etc

To use menu need to refresh library which can take a while - or quick refresh on start (which only pulls the first 10-20 items from each category)

Fanart - is what you need. Enable fanart always and set up fanart directory - (ideally using extrafanart / automatic downloader ). Kodi has a automatic fanart downloader that the directories default to. On the Kodi usage showing fanart from your movies/tv shows. But you can change this directory to whereever and show whatever you like - be that photos/media stuff etc etc.

Glenn

Edited by GlennNZ

Xzener

Glenn,

May I suggest trying to duplicate the Emby Theater details page? It is a very solid design. Also, I have seen other types of fanart used with your GUI, perhaps we can add the logo to the upper left of the details page similar to ET? I like the idea of a larger play button. (Sorry for the crappy image, the community forum does that sometimes)

57af792075bc7_Capture.png

Edited by Xzener

GlennNZ

Hi all,

Hard at work .. Adding Logos and Banners to the Db - pretty much done, just need to fine tune some things.

But in doing so :

I have also discovered a upgrade issue. (Which have fixed in code - but new build is a while away as have made a whole lot of DB changes to support logo and banners )

If it does not start after reinstalling.. (And little on log - Change_settings null error or similar)

Add this line to settings.xml file (anywhere will do)

In %appdata%/FrontView+/

<SelectedDisplay>\\.\DISPLAY2</SelectedDisplay>

Didn't check for lack of a display setting in the config file (Mine already had this setting before later changes to reenable ForceResolution)

Another option is to install 1.164 run; setup displays, save settings and then reinstall 1.171

Glenn

Edited by GlennNZ
  • Like 1

GlennNZ

New Version 1.181 Beta

Database upgrade to add support for Logo and Banner artwork for tv, movies and now playing.

Few fixes of layout in various screens

Change to some size settings to mean better compatibility with Kodi and Emby

Fixes for the crash in start up (if bypassed build 1.164)

Will need full library refresh and some time to pull all the new artwork (do it in background) before visible/useable.

On github (previous links)

Todo:

Link text size setting to logo size.

Have option to turn logos off and go back to text

Glenn

Edited by GlennNZ
  • Like 1

Xzener

Looking good Glenn... Can we align the logos to the Left, similar to above ET details screenshot?

Also, seem to be missing the "Play" button in details view.

Edited by Xzener

GlennNZ

Looking good Glenn... Can we align the logos to the Left, similar to above ET details screenshot?

Also, seem to be missing the "Play" button in details view.

Thanks. The backend changes are fairly major to allow logos and banners to be pulled. Tried banners but really felt the logos look better so haven't used them - but they are there.

Sorry about the play button - must have gone walk-about somewhere - I'll track it done.

Actually prefer the logos center, as they are replacing text/title, and the left button will get in the way/particularly the semi-circles. Agree ET looks good, but don't particularly like it that much to try to copy. (Truth be told - Kodi looks pretty good as well).

But we are in different environment/and more importantly screen size for one. I would prefer the artwork to have the most real estate; and ET doesn't have the same variable screen size issues (well it does - but html deals with them much better)

Have tried various layouts, and not done yet. Some of the Logos are quite fat and of variable aspect ratio - so some look better in certain areas.

Glenn

Edited by GlennNZ

Xzener

I beg to differ... With the smaller cover, there is plenty of room for logo above it IMO (even before the cover is moved down closer to reflection).

57b363b5bcfa1_57ae0c700a183_Capture.png

Just realized this was the now playing screen... It does look good though. ;)

Edited by Xzener

GlennNZ

I beg to differ... With the smaller cover, there is plenty of room for logo above it IMO (even before the cover is moved down closer to reflection).

57b363b5bcfa1_57ae0c700a183_Capture.png

Just realized this was the now playing screen... It does look good though. ;)

Think we are probably going have to agree to disagree!

Myself; I can't imagine why you would want the '300' text - when the logo does the same job with much better visual impact.

Also prefer the larger Covers which does make everything quite difficult above.

Suspect it comes down to screen size and distance - the further away the screen is - the larger the artwork needs to be.  Given my screen is 10' away - small details are hard to make out.   (once I deal with some Plex remote requests - hopefully will be able to cover some options)

Glenn

Xzener

Personally not a fan of the logo above the play bar... I can turn that off in the settings.xml right?

GlennNZ

Personally not a fan of the logo above the play bar... I can turn that off in the settings.xml right?

Not at the moment, you can't ...

57b400a6bfddb_nowplayinglogo.png

GlennNZ

Working my way through a few formatting changes and settings screens.

Getting there - but the multiple screen sizes issue is quite huge - perfect layout for one size - dreadful on another.  May need to add a level of checks ie. if screen 800x480 have this layout, 800x600 have this, and 1024x768 have this, etc.etc.  Now that will take a while.

Anyone keen to see where at - can try and replace current exe file (probably keep to change back to)

(No DB or irreversible changes)

https://github.com/Ghawken/FrontView/blob/master/FrontView/bin/x86/Debug/FrontView.exe

The latest version always here in Debug Folder.

Although probably need to also add: 

https://github.com/Ghawken/FrontView/blob/master/FrontView/bin/x86/Debug/Skin/Default/Interface/Default_Video-Logos.png

to Default skin in %appdata%/FrontView+/Skin/Default/Interface

Glenn

GlennNZ

Version 1.185

Fixes for Plex - V.Limited (as before) support for Plex - NowPlaying screen only.
Add Settings Buttons for Logos; UseLogo optional; and Size of Logo and Size of Text settings.
Added Logos to Movies and TV show Details Screen
Added Logos to NowPlaying Screen
Fix for absent Play Button Details Screen
Add Skin Logo Default Image (must be blank)
Formatting changes to better support multiple screen sizes

Details:

New Settings for Logos:
Including UseLogo - disables Logos in NowPlaying and Movie/TV Library screens.
Text Size - the Size of the Title if not using Logos - otherwise essentially the size of the Box the Logo is in - variable sizes depending on what works best with screen size.

57c0f968bd829_1185Settings.png

Defaults to Text if No Logo available (in all screens where Logos are used)
eg. Here in Trailer Screen (where no Logo) or Movie Details Screen (where no Logo exists)

57c0f9c8f2085_1185Trailer.png

57c0fa0843ff1_1185NoIcondefaultstotext.p

Otherwise if Available and Cached (different for Emby and Kodi)
57c0fa3b8d4ec_1185MoviesDetails.png

57c0fa5d31866_1185NowPlayingMovies.png

https://github.com/Ghawken/FrontView/releases/tag/1.185

&

Coming up in next release:

Movie Icons......  (code changes partially done currently)

Glenn

Edited by GlennNZ
  • Like 1

GlennNZ

Version 1.190

Add MediaIcons to MovieDetails Screen (for both Emby and Kodi Remotes )
DB Upgrade Needed (will happen automatically)  But will need to full refresh library
Few Fixes
MediaIcon Size Slider added to Fanart Screen
Change LogoSize setting to a Slider for better control

eg:

57c50e2d17509_MediaIcons3.png

57c51096754c1_MediaIcons4.png

57c510a9f1e4e_MediaIcons11902.png

57c510c0d6fdc_MediaIcons1190.png

Glenn
Edited by GlennNZ
  • Like 1