PLAYz emby for LG Smart TVs

simonjhogan
Go to solution Solved by ellnic,

anderbytes

I just picked up an LG TV and went to download this to test it out but all the posts with download links result in a 403 error so I can't download it.  Is there another location to access the app?

It may be in maintenance... simon developing... probably. Hopefully.

• 3 weeks later...
jokerigno

Hi,

I just came here to thank @simonjhogan for his effort (I've already buyed PLAYz for PLEX).

Can't wait to test the Emby version on my WebOS 2.0 LG SMART TV.

• 2 weeks later...
SupaMonkey

Hey @@simonjhogan,

I know you're going through 'life' right now; just wanted to say thanks for your efforts thus far and let you know we're still routing for you!

Can't wait to see this going on my LG TV :)

Keep it up!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
simonjhogan

Hi all I have released my code to GitHub playz-emby. Feel free to contribute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwilcox

Well, I just cloned this, turned it into a web app and pushed to my TV but unfortunately I can't get past the Enter an Emby Server URL screen.  It takes the IP address but hitting return does nothing.  Same thing happens in the emulator.  Looks like a keymapping issue where <enter> isn't mapping properly to submit.  Backspace isn't working either which supports this hypothesis.  Looking into it now.  I may just end up adding a submit button...

Capture-vi.png

edit: Adding submit buttons to the server and user login screens worked!  Q&D workaround lol... Now I can start working with this a bit...

Capture1-vi.png

Edited by kwilcox
  • Like 3

anderbytes

Congratulations on the progress, @@kwilcox !!

Lots of us are expecting a working LG app!

Can we help us test or something?

kwilcox

Actually, there's a version of emby theater for WebOS in the works.  See this thread

I'm guessing that will be the going forward version since emby theater is really HTML 5 under the hood.  I'm playing with playz-emby right now to get some experience with Emby Client coding, but really hope to help out with the above project.

I can say this: Emby on WebOS is gonna change everything.  I for one will be retiring my Kodi HTPC...

Edited by kwilcox

kwilcox

Ok, got the 6 seconds of play then it stops issue sorted.  It's going back to key handling.  Apparently WebOS fires random keys which was being trapped incorrectly in index.html (any keypress event was stopping the player).  I changed the code to only stop the player if the green button was pressed.  For those of you also playing with it:

document.addEventListener("keydown", function(event) {
event.preventDefault();
event.stopPropagation(); 

if (dom.exists("#player")) {
    if (event.which == keys.KEY_GREEN)
        player.close(); 
   return;
}

if (event.which == keys.KEY_BACK || event.which == keys.KEY_ESC) {
history.back(1);
return;
} 
});
Edited by kwilcox

• 2 weeks later...
kwilcox

guys, I've made significant changes to this app so I've decided to create a new repository.  Still a lot of bugs, but really quite useful now.  play/pause/stop buttons supported, right button skips 1 minute, left button back-skips 30 seconds (these are for skipping commercials). The green button also stops a playing movie for those with only a magic remote

todo: get settings screen working so you can:

• set maximum bitrate
  • set forward skip amount (seconds)
  • set back skip amount (seconds)

todo: build a better popup video control bar

• larger so its easy to use with a magic remote
  • fix bug where the controls don't always disappear

If you want to track my work, clone my repository:

https://github.com/sleuth255/playz-emby

You will need the LG developer sdk installed (import my repository as a WebOS project) and the developer mode app installed on your TV if you want to use anything other than the emulator.  Don't ask for help on installing these plz; the following link was all I needed:

http://developer.lge.com/webOSTV/develop/web-app/app-test/

Edited by kwilcox

cmarques
Hi kwilcox,

I'll install the required SDK and I'll try to do a test on my 55UF8500 TV, keep your working!

cmarques

Hi kwilcox,
I'll install the required SDK and I'll try to do a test on my 55UF8500 TV, keep your working!

Hi again,
After some effort to understand how the webos tv emulator works (it's not so easy like said in some posts in the community), I finally was able to test the app.
I can log in and navigate on the menus and also watch movies.
I can't go back, from the movie to the home screen  <_< , don't know if by a fault of the emulator or other issue.

Today I'll try to test on my TV, but the overall feedback I can make is that the app works satisfactorily, but of course needs more development to get beauty and more functionality.

Please keep the good job you're doing!

kwilcox

Green button on the emulator's magic remote stops the movie and returns you to the catalog. If you have a regular remote for your TV then the stop button will also work.  Also FYI the left button wasn't doing a 30 second backskip properly.  I pushed the fix last night.

Also note that this is a "lean and mean" HTML5 client that uses <video> tags to play movies/videos.  As such, I don't have control over skip speed with this implementation so response times can vary!  If the movie freezes for a while after you do a skip, its due to this....

Edited by kwilcox

cmarques

thanks ​for the tips kwilcox, I'll test the app on my TV tonight, hope it works!

kwilcox

FYI: I've been accepted by the LG Seller's lounge as a free seller.  Once I have something workable, I'll submit it.  I'm getting sick of constantly having to re-upload this program which is really starting to take the place of my HTPC.

Still a bit confused over how the catalog is being loaded in home.js however.  Once I have this figured out then I can fix/tweak a lot. 

• Like 1

Jonz

FYI: I've been accepted by the LG Seller's lounge as a free seller.  Once I have something workable, I'll submit it.  I'm getting sick of constantly having to re-upload this program which is really starting to take the place of my HTPC.

Still a bit confused over how the catalog is being loaded in home.js however.  Once I have this figured out then I can fix/tweak a lot. 

Really good work there you have done with it and lookin forward to it being available for all LG TV users. 

cmarques

Nice dude! good job!

Yesterday I was able to test the app on my (55UF8500 webos2.0) TV, and it was really good.
almost everything is working properly, of course it needs adjustments, like the need of everytime inform the server's IP when the app starts.

Now just an info...
I also was able to use the official Emby Web app on the web browser of the emulator v3.0 (webos v3), so I was thinking what it has of different between both, I checked the  settings and what was possible, but I can't see any differences.
anyone knows how to check the app version?

kwilcox

hmmm... it should be saving the server address and login info (it does this for me on WebOS 2.0) so that subsequent launches take you directly to the home catalog display.  Maybe a WebOS 3 related problem.  I'll load up the v3 emulator and take a quick check.

edit:

Emulator installed and bug confirmed on WebOS 3.  It only occurs when the emulator is first booted however.  I'll take a look at it.

Currently, I'm working on a better set of on-screen video controls so the magic remote has full functionality (required item for release).  The default controls are way too tiny, don't always disappear, and also don't have a stop button.

Edited by kwilcox

cmarques

Currently, I'm working on a better set of on-screen video controls so the magic remote has full functionality (required item for release).  The default controls are way too tiny, don't always disappear, and also don't have a stop button.

I noted this too.
What tools you use on development? just the LG WebOS SDK?

I'm not a dev, I'm far of this to be honest ^_^  , I'm just a curious man haha
The tool you use is graphical or just command line? I'm asking because I'm thinking on a way I can help you. This project really needs an up on its visual :lol:

meridyen

is there anyway that i can reach to netcast version of the program? i can not seem to find it anywhere.

or is there anyway to convert webos to netcast?

cmarques
hi kwilcox,

so there's no visual tool, right?

everything is created in real time by code? I mean, the windows are made by code and you need to package the app and use the emulator to check how it is?

kwilcox

Yup.  The only visual tool I'm using is photoshop for branding.  This program is actually mostly javascript made possible by a really cool DOM library that has a lot of functionality.  I'm still learning how to use it.  The <DIV> tag has taken on a whole new meaning to me since working with this.

kwilcox

is there anyway that i can reach to netcast version of the program? i can not seem to find it anywhere.

or is there anyway to convert webos to netcast?

I don't know of a way to convert WebOS to netcast.  Does netcast include a web browser?  If so, point it to your local emby server website.  Maybe that will work.

Edited by kwilcox