Beta Release Thread

cmcg

FrostByte

If you have the view in html it should look something like this, other views will show ref frames though

56322594de0c2_ref.jpg

Edited by FrostByte

paulsalter

Thanks, got that, seems to have lost the format after clicking post, can export to a file if easier to read

Video ID : 0 Format : MPEG-4 Visual Format settings, BVOP : 1 Format settings, QPel : No Format settings, GMC : No warppoints Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263) Muxing mode : Packed bitstream Codec ID : DX50 Codec ID/Hint : DivX 5 Duration : 22mn 46s Bit rate : 1 049 Kbps Width : 720 pixels Height : 404 pixels Display aspect ratio : 16:9 Frame rate : 25.000 fps Color space : YUV Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 Bit depth : 8 bits Scan type : Progressive Compression mode : Lossy Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.144 Stream size : 171 MiB (79%) Title : Video Writing library : DivX 2682

Audio #1 ID : 1 Format : MPEG Audio Format version : Version 1 Format profile : Layer 3 Mode : Joint stereo Mode extension : MS Stereo Codec ID : 55 Codec ID/Hint : MP3 Duration : 22mn 46s Bit rate mode : Constant Bit rate : 128 Kbps Channel(s) : 2 channels Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz Compression mode : Lossy Stream size : 20.9 MiB (10%) Alignment : Split accross interleaves Interleave, duration : 40 ms (1.00 video frame) Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms Title : Audio - en-US01

Audio #2 ID : 2 Format : MPEG Audio Format version : Version 1 Format profile : Layer 3 Mode : Joint stereo Mode extension : MS Stereo Codec ID : 55 Codec ID/Hint : MP3 Duration : 22mn 46s Bit rate mode : Constant Bit rate : 128 Kbps Channel(s) : 2 channels Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz Compression mode : Lossy Stream size : 20.9 MiB (10%) Alignment : Split accross interleaves Interleave, duration : 40 ms (1.00 video frame) Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms Title : Audio - en-US01

Edited by paulsalter

CBers

Can anyone point me to an installer for the previous stable server so I can compare?

Not sure it's available.

You'd need to speak to Luke or @@ebr.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Ok, it doesn't look like there are any reference frames.  Usually the mediainfo from the webclient shows them also, but weren't listed so I just want to be sure.  There are a couple ways to fix this. 

Thanks, got that, seems to have lost the format after clicking post, can export to a file if easier to read

paulsalter

Sounds good, hopefully an easy way to fix, these are daily shows so converting to something else to avoid transcoding would be time consuming

for info, here is another that has the issue, probably the same issue

Video ID : 0 Format : MPEG-4 Visual Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5 Format settings, BVOP : 2 Format settings, QPel : No Format settings, GMC : No warppoints Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263) Muxing mode : Packed bitstream Codec ID : XVID Codec ID/Hint : XviD Duration : 20mn 59s Bit rate : 1 042 Kbps Width : 720 pixels Height : 400 pixels Display aspect ratio : 16:9 Frame rate : 25.000 fps Color space : YUV Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 Bit depth : 8 bits Scan type : Progressive Compression mode : Lossy Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.145 Stream size : 156 MiB (89%) Writing library : XviD 1.2.1 (UTC 2008-12-04)

Audio ID : 1 Format : MPEG Audio Format version : Version 1 Format profile : Layer 3 Mode : Joint stereo Mode extension : MS Stereo Codec ID : 55 Codec ID/Hint : MP3 Duration : 20mn 59s Bit rate mode : Variable Bit rate : 117 Kbps Minimum bit rate : 32.0 Kbps Channel(s) : 2 channels Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz Compression mode : Lossy Stream size : 17.5 MiB (10%) Alignment : Aligned on interleaves Interleave, duration : 24 ms (0.60 video frame) Interleave, preload duration : 581 ms Writing library : LAME3.98r Encoding settings : -m j -V 5 -q 2 -lowpass 16.5 --vbr-new -b 32

FrostByte

The problem is that the Level info in the headers of your files are incorrect, or too high.  Samsung only supports files up to Level 4.1 and if you try to play a video at Level 5 or higher you get a Error Type 7 and the file won't play at all. 

The Level info in the header is just a label. Sort of like putting a BMW sticker on a Ford, it's still a Ford underneath.  So, when he wasn't checking the level before your files actually played fine because the video file inside actually conformed to Level 4.1 specs.

paulsalter

Thanks, saw the mention of Level 4.1 but wasn't really sure what it meant

Is there a solution to this?

I have been playing these same files for years without any issue, mostly via the DLNA browsers on the Samsung (which still works fine)

and the Samsung App for about the last 4 or 5 months with no issue

CBers

Thanks, saw the mention of Level 4.1 but wasn't really sure what it meant

I have been playing these same files for years without any issue, mostly via the DLNA browsers on the Samsung (which still works fine)

Do they transcode via DLNA?

What source are you using to obtain the shows?

FrostByte

Well, you could use a program that changes the H264 Level information in the header.  It's quick and doesn't reencode the video or audio inside the container.  Just changes the header information

Or, cmcg would probably have to check the reference frames used at every resolution possible to make sure they fall into Level 4.1 specs.  Level 5 allows too many reference frames for Samsung devices which causes the type 7 error

paulsalter

Do they transcode via DLNA?

What source are you using to obtain the shows?

No transcoding when played via DLNA (Have used various DLNA servers in the past including Emby and always just played without transcoding), they also play fine if I put them on USB

Sourced from a private site on the internet, so I have no control over them

Well, you could use a program that changes the H264 Level information in the header.  It's quick and doesn't reencode the video or audio inside the container.  Just changes the header information

Or, cmcg would probably have to check the reference frames used at every resolution possible to make sure they fall into Level 4.1 specs.  Level 5 allows too many reference frames for Samsung devices which causes the type 7 error

Problem is I get numerous files like these per day and also various others on a weekly basis

Having to manually change things would be a great pain

Edited by paulsalter

CBers

Perhaps you should try another source, as I also have some of the same files as you and don't have any issues with playback.

paulsalter

Perhaps you should try another source, as I also have some of the same files as you and don't have any issues with playback.

I never had any issues until yesterday

Been using these files for years with no issues (One of the reasons I use a Samsung, they play everything)

Just tested now with Emby DLNA to confirm, they stream no problem, no transcoding

I think what we need to establish here are the number of reference frames in your files.

If the number if reference frames at this resolution reveals that they really are level 5 then that's interesting given the TV spec states level 4.1 and below is supported. If they turn out to be level 4.1 with an incorrect level statement then that's different matter.

FrostByte

It doesn't appear there are any H264 reference frames in his files according to mediainfo which is why they probably played before when the app wasn't checking the Level > 41

FrostByte

There is also the opposite problem.  If someone has a file which the header says it's Level 4.1, but the reference frames are too high then currently the app will still let it through without transcoding and you will get the Error 7

If want to check for bad encoding practices then you have to check reference frames against each possible resolution and that will be a lot of coding.  Basically it's 4 at 1080p, 9 at 720p and 16 at somewhere around 480p, but it also depends on if the black borders are cropped which allows you to squeeze in a few more ref frames.  If you crop at 1080p you can get up to 5 reference frames

paulsalter

Thanks for the info on that app from the Samsung Developer will look into this

How many people get the 7 error of being unable to play a file?

Edited by paulsalter

FrostByte

There was one or two people earlier which is why cmcg added that.  So now the app transcodes Level 5 files correctly for them. That being it only fixes it for files which have correct headers that is.   What it doesn't catch though is when the Level says 4.1 and the video is really 5 or higher.  They will still get the Error 7.  Sort of the opposite problem you're having

FrostByte

@@paulsalter Just to verify you didn't have some oddball BD player and that I gave the correct information to cmcg the other day I went ahead and downloaded the user's manual for the BD-E6100 which does indicate it only supports H264 up to Level 4.1

56325f7417ae9_BDE6100.jpg

paulsalter

Hi @@FrostByte

That's is exactly what my manual says :)

Are H.263 & H.264 the same thing?

from my posted info above, highlights by me, is the codec used H.263/H.264 or MPEG4 (which are shown as separate items in the compatible chart, if its MPEG4 is the Level upto 4.1 relevant)

I admin though that I don't know what all these different standards mean

Video ID : 0 Format : MPEG-4 Visual Format settings, BVOP : 1 Format settings, QPel : No Format settings, GMC : No warppoints Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263) Muxing mode : Packed bitstream Codec ID : DX50 Codec ID/Hint : DivX 5 Duration : 22mn 46s Bit rate : 1 049 Kbps Width : 720 pixels Height : 404 pixels Display aspect ratio : 16:9 Frame rate : 25.000 fps Color space : YUV Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 Bit depth : 8 bits Scan type : Progressive Compression mode : Lossy Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.144 Stream size : 171 MiB (79%) Title : Video Writing library : DivX 2682

Edited by paulsalter

1.0.0d
Thinner font on E-Series and above.
Photo browser fixes and item count.
Fixed: Album details overlap CD cover image.

@@FrostByte not sure this will be different for you but let me know. I have made the photo browser code a little more robust so at least it might not crap out completely this time. (Fat chance!)

• Like 2

paulsalter

So is this new check for H.264 upto level 4.1 relevant for H.263 files

This files plays on my device through all ways I can find except the Emby App which transcodes it

paulsalter

Well he could add checking for up to Level 3 on H263 files, but your file would still transcode :)

Surely it must be checking this file now, yesterday it worked, updated the SW and today it doesn't :(

Is this something that is likely to be fixed/changed or do I need to check out my options with something else? 

force transcoding files that play natively is not something I want to do with the majority of my files