Theme: blue neon night

speechles

Blue Neon Night on emby v4.14 is crashing back to home screen on Roku 3 & 4 when I play live tv. I am running windows Emby server Version 3.2.7.0. It was working on prior versions of emby server and Blue Neon Night prior to March 12th. Is there a fix or an adjustment?

Solved this. Will be a new release shortly. Apologies for the mistake.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

New Version: v4.15
* fix transposed quick launch row buttons (thx mikeraburn)
* fix liveTV/livestream crashing app (thx sstahl)

Now the quick launch row is fixed, thanks @@mikeraburn
LiveTV works again, thanks @@sstahl.

Any other bugs, crashes, dumb mistakes you can find? Beat on it and work it hard and see if anything goes bananas. I want to hear, yes we have no bananas. :)

Updated all links in first post, zips too. Have fun again...

• Like 1

roberto188

Insignia Roku TV. Says invalid username and password. Login with emby connect. Says cannot post capabilities and just exits. Any thoughts?

Insignia Roku TV. Says invalid username and password. Login with emby connect. Says cannot post capabilities and just exits. Any thoughts?

Are you using Emby Connect (pin method) ?

If you use emby connect, you should never use sign out. You should only use "select server" if the logged in user used emby connect to log in with. If "sign out" it used it breaks the server->user+pin=accesstoken that emby connect requires. The best way to fix this is to fully reset the app, you can do this using the "clear registry" option on the "select user" screen. Once you do this it will reset to the select server screen, at this point press the home (little house) button on your roku remote. This will fully reset the app to a "fresh from the roku store" condition. You will have to redo all your preferences and such all over again. Now restart the app. If using emby connect make sure to DELETE the server you want to use first, then add new server and enter the server again. This should fix the problem and let you log in again with that user on emby connect. I will look into removing the "sign out" button from being shown if the logged in user is using emby connect to sign in with.

Are you manually logging in and this happens ?

If so, it might be the device name. I reverted the device name renaming I was doing in app as it was breaking sha1 creation because the app signs with utf-8 and the device name is in plain text. Suffice to say it was causing more users to fail than was helping. You need to visit: http://owner.roku.com and log into your roku account. Once you do this, scroll to the bottom of the page it lands you on. At the bottom it will show your roku devices that are regstered to you. Click on the rename button of the problem device the app fails on. Now give that device a simple plain text name with no fancy characters. It will take roku time to update your roku to this new name that the app will start using, Usually within 24 hours, so should start working the next day. I apologize for this, but some of the device manufacturers are using oddball goofy characters in their roku friendlydevicename and this causes problems.

If you work with me on this we can figure out exactly where the cause is and what is happening. If neither of the above works, please report back on what you tried, what the app responded with, and sort of a play-by-play of how I can replicate the problem on my end. What you device name is, what your usernames are. I don't need to know what your server IP or anything to access you server is. I just need to know the names to see if this causes a possible issue.

Thanks, and apologies for the interruption. ;)

Edited by speechles

cw-kid

Hi

Seems Emby Blue Neon has stopped working on my parents two Now TV boxes, the app has been removed and you cannot install it again.

"Install Failure: Auth token required to install dev channels on this device."

Appears Now TV have blocked / disabled side loading apps with a recent update which totally sucks. See here

Which Roku boxes would you recommend instead? Which I can buy cheaply for them.

Thanks

mikeraburn

The Roku is for your parents, go BIG!

Roku3 and up will be nice enough.

I started at the Roku3 and when I added more boxes I progressively went up.

Roku4 and then Ultra.

Whatever the Roku equivalent the NowTv is, don't go backwards.

They will notice response time.

cw-kid

@@CBers thanks for that link.

Seems all Now TV users are in the same boat. I bought two Now TV boxes for my parents mainly so the kids could watch movies when staying over with them, but they also watched movies on it via Emby.

I've just setup Kodi with the Emby addon on Mums laptop so least they can connect that to the TV for now.

Time to look for an Android TV box maybe or a cheap HTPC for them I guess..

mikeraburn

I was about to say "how on earth do you think a HTPC is cheaper and easier than a Roku", then I clicked over to your blog.

I think you have it well under control, way more than I would!

cw-kid

Yes HTPC doesnt normally mean cheap mine were £600 each. I'd buy Intel NUCs though next time for me.

mikeraburn

I tired Pie2 and Openelec..... I didn't like it, too slow of a response time for ME.

I tried stuff, priced stuff, and the best and cheapest option for ME was a ROKU machine with a server running EMBY.

I just became a big boy and grabbed a NAS.

But I always think trying to re-purpose what you have laying around is worth a shot.

cw-kid

Some cheap or second hand Roku's maybe the way to go, easy as well as you say. Plus they have got use to the Blue Neon GUI now.

CBers

The RPi's are good clients.

My son runs 3 in his house, all running the Emby for Kodi addon.

Never has any problems with them.

Jdiesel

RPi2 and RPi3 are both excellent clients using LibreELEC and the Emby for Kodi plugin. The key to a good experience is the right microSD card as microSD cards usually are not made for lots of small reads like you experience running Kodi. I always recommend the Samsung Pro microSD cards.

As for the best Roku on a budget, I recommend the latest generation Roku 2 if you can find one. They are discontinued but you can still find them. They have the same SOC as the more expensive Roku 3 without the wifi remote features. If you don't need an ethernet connection the new Roku Premiere is nice.

Edited by Jdiesel

I had a similiar problem with my sharp, I saw speechles already replied with info to change the name of the tv in your roku account. That's exactly how I fixed it for myself. Right after it had a reasonable name, boom I was back in business.

Edited by BAS

• 5 weeks later...
mikeraburn

Well slap my ass and call me Dusty.

Roku came through with the update that uses the volume control on the Roku remote to control other devices.

Works on my Vizio sound bar automatically!

mikeraburn

@speehcles

On the Ultra

That update also got your world famous OSD all askew now.

It was nice and centered.

Weird

on the ROKU 4 the alignment is centered.

Never mind

It seems the alignment for the OSD is based on the resolution ASPECT of the media file playing.

And some thought I wasn't anal enough. HA

Edited by mikeraburn

@speehcles

On the Ultra

That update also got your world famous OSD all askew now.

It was nice and centered.

Weird

on the ROKU 4 the alignment is centered.

Never mind

It seems the alignment for the OSD is based on the resolution ASPECT of the media file playing.

And some thought I wasn't anal enough. HA

Yeah, the change for no reason in the firmware update is the way dolby codecs are shown. Like now its "dolby audio (DD)" instead of just "dolby digital". Now you can tell ac3 and eac3 apart in that spot.

The cooler part of the update, opus is now a supported codec for audio. This includes 2.0-5.1 flavors, up to six channels. So now those with things in that format notch opus as something roku can direct play.

You can see the new addition of bandwidth measuring in the picture below. This is polled once every minute, and is susceptible to reporting burst rates and not actual use rates, it is what it is.. heh

a2ec18c0d2f338d4091c35620d67c65a.jpg

In the nexxt update, along with measured bandwidth is going to be: adjustable timeouts for the video player, improvements upon the video playback errors given via dialog, and full support for opus codec. The timeout setting should make it much better for users on remote connections and using liveTV. There shall be no more issues, ramp the timeouts to a full 2 minutes if you wish. Sorry this wasnt done sooner.

Expect a new release very shortly.

( NowTV users, it was a fun ride, sorry sky is being so rude with customers and treating side-loading like a criminal act. Foolish on their behalf, but their content providers likely spurred that evolution, they must protect their cash cow. Everyone must salute the cow. )

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

New Version: v4.16
* add measured bandwidth to osd
* add preference for videoplayer timeout
* add full video playback error dialogs
* add support for opus codec

Now you can see bandwidth in use every minute by using the OSD, susceptible to reporting burst rates not actual usage rates is the caveat. Preference for videoplayer timeout was requested, this realizes that request. Adjust this timeout anywhere from 30s to 2m in 15s increments. Also added better error reporting for video playback errors. Now when a video fails, it will tell you why momentarily before moving on. The opus codec was recently added in firmware 7.6.x, and if your device reports it can support opus the app will now allow it to direct play.

Enjoy, and have fun. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

mikeraburn

Why is knowing the bandwidth useful?

Type your reply slowly, I am not that bright.

• 3 weeks later...
gzbruno

Hey. i got the following messages while compiling:

------ Running dev 'Platino TV' main ------
BRIGHTSCRIPT: WARNING: roGridScreen: This component is deprecated: pkg:/source/V                                                                                        iewController.brs(66)
BRIGHTSCRIPT: WARNING: roOneLineDialog: This component is deprecated: pkg:/sourc                                                                                        e/ViewController.brs(242)
BRIGHTSCRIPT: WARNING: roMessageDialog: This component is deprecated: pkg:/sourc                                                                                        e/DialogUtils.brs(61)
BRIGHTSCRIPT: WARNING: roListScreen: This component is deprecated: pkg:/source/L                                                                                        istScreen.brs(14)
Note: GC - Found 295 orphaned objects (objects in a circular ref loop).

------ Compiling dev 'Platino TV' ------

so if its deprecated, it will stop working at all at 2018? 

Lane03

EDIT: Nevermind, movie is 30.3 fps which is higher than default 30 fps limit in settings.

I have a movie that is being transcoded that shouldn't be. It plays fine if I force direct play or using Plex. I haven't checked the official Emby app yet, as there isn't a way to tell from the UI if it's direct playing or not. Mediainfo is below:

Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID                                 : mp42
File size                                : 2.25 GiB
Duration                                 : 2h 15mn
Overall bit rate                         : 2 374 Kbps
Encoded date                             : UTC 2017-05-18 00:01:52
Tagged date                              : UTC 2017-05-18 00:01:52
Writing application                      : HandBrake 0.10.5 2016021100

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP                     : M=4, N=32
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate                                 : 2 178 Kbps
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 536 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 30.303 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.105
Stream size                              : 2.07 GiB (92%)
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : ac-3
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 192 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 187 MiB (8%)
Title                                    : Stereo
Language                                 : English
Edited by Lane03

Hey. i got the following messages while compiling:

------ Running dev 'Platino TV' main ------BRIGHTSCRIPT: WARNING: roGridScreen: This component is deprecated: pkg:/source/V                                                                                        iewController.brs(66)BRIGHTSCRIPT: WARNING: roOneLineDialog: This component is deprecated: pkg:/sourc                                                                                        e/ViewController.brs(242)BRIGHTSCRIPT: WARNING: roMessageDialog: This component is deprecated: pkg:/sourc                                                                                        e/DialogUtils.brs(61)BRIGHTSCRIPT: WARNING: roListScreen: This component is deprecated: pkg:/source/L                                                                                        istScreen.brs(14)Note: GC - Found 295 orphaned objects (objects in a circular ref loop).------ Compiling dev 'Platino TV' ------
so if its deprecated, it will stop working at all at 2018?
I will not be able to be update the app on the roku store after 2018. In 2019 the components the app uses will be removed from the roku firmware.

You can always side load the app, update it that way after 2018. But in 2019, these old sdk components will be deprecated. There is no direct alternative, except to write scenes in scene graph, write observers to track these scenes and run task threads in brightscript to interact with them. It is easier than it sounds. The scene graph scenes which are prebuilt by roku are ridiculously easy to use. It is when those scenes are lacking, and you need to include custom nodes when it starts to become painful.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles